• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Blur Style Trailers Obsolete This Gen?

Video games are catching up to promotional announcement trailers. We are starting to notice more development studios use in game graphics instead of CG trailers to promote their games. I remember about five years ago, fans would be angry with CG trailers that would showcase graphics that couldn't be realized in engine. Some less savy gamers saw it as a form of false advertisement with no disclaimer. My most recent disappointment was Mortal Kombat X, a great looking game that didn't even attempt to hit that target at all. MKX

This trailer is successful as a marketing tool, yet I hope that the next game can hit closer to that mark. Much love for the Boon. I predict next gen we may move beyond the need for these type of trailers. The term I keep hearing is diminishing returns. I honestly love this development. The new Rise of the Tomb Raider looks good enough to market itself. Congratulations Crystal Dynamics. I would imagine the larger developers are catching up to the elite CG studios similar/like Blur. It is my hope that we as an industry will outgrow the need for independent for hire CG studios. Quantic Dream is another notable dev that is pushing us there. I think the great thing that's happening is the CG trailer is disappearing and no one is noticing. Well almost no one...

manhole.jpg

Disclaimer: This image was not captured in engine.

Lime

At least Blur possess high-quality skills in cinematography and storytelling within a limited time frame that not many other developers have. That in itself puts them on top if you want a really good trailer.

Plus, if you don't have in game assets ready to produce a trailer, it's easier to give some concept art and story ideas to Blur and let them run with it. That's what got us the Dark Souls 2 trailer and the Fuse trailer (among others). They are really talented at conveying the essence of a game, I think, that not many of any developers manage to do with their trailers (Square Enix, Blizzard)

Alternatively, if you don't care at all about either of the above, you can just throw some celebrities at a green screen and get some Mountain Dew cross-promotion along with it.

I appreciated how most Blur trailers were choreographed and featured likes of gameplay concepts well. Moving forward, I would prefer in-game assets and gameplay that are presented accurately (vertical slices that represent the final game closely) with seamless cutscenes mixed in, at most.

The Blur trailers never felt dishonest or deceitful to me because they were very obviously not in-game, and they were generally fantastic on their own. The only problem was when a trailer's tone would completely clash with that of the final product.

Lime

I also wonder how much Blur is affected by the poor working conditions in the CGI industry. The horror stories and lack of recognition I have heard and read about in regards to Hollywood and CGI makes me really depressed.

I hope Blur isn't exposed to the same problems and challenges.

I also wonder how much Blur is affected by the poor working conditions in the CGI industry. The horror stories and lack of recognition I have heard and read about in regards to Hollywood and CGI makes me really depressed.

I hope Blur isn't exposed to the same problems and challenges.

Those high quality modeling skills the like of Blur employees I would imagine are well compensated. I would imagine these employees would not wait long if they sought employment at a larger video game development studio. I wouldn't accept anything less than a stellar work environment. I'd hope those skills could trickle down to rest of the development teams eventually. Naughty Dog hasn't needed CGI trailers for some time now.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's expensive for something that's not clearly a huge sales benefit due to the modern quality of graphics conveying the game world well.

These days it's more about buying YouTube and streamer endorsements to generate hype and word of mouth.

UrbanRats

It's expensive for something that's not clearly a huge sales benefit due to the modern quality of graphics conveying the game world well.

These days it's more about buying YouTube and streamer endorsements to generate hype and word of mouth.

I remember a news story about CGi trailers ( i think the example given was SWTOR's) being one of the biggest push for (early) preorders.

I'll see if i can find the GAF thread, but it's a couple years old.

Halo Wars 2, Mafia 3, Rainbow Six, Adrift, Assassin's Creed Unity, Sunset Overdrive, Arkham Knight, SWTOR, Dishonored 2 and Halo MCC

They still do a lot of work for this gen. So much so, that they have a competitor. Digic Pictures which did AC: Syndicate, Halo 4, Watchdogs and Witcher 3

And I hope they continue doing so. I love CG trailers. Great stuff.

Edit:

CG trailers have their place. Early development, when you can't show the crummy stuff in prototyping and when you need to show off your product at that stage. To show off your concepts, world building, atmosphere, story and etc.

Top Bottom