• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lack of hype for Spider-Man 2

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Honestly I would be more worried if they were massively advertising the game everywhere.

The base formula is created and they just have to tweak it.

It will be the best spider-man game in years, I have no doubt in that, it doesn't need to much buzz around it before launch. Fuck, it's Spider-man, come on.

We can fast forward 5 years since its launch on PS4, and it hasn't been a more new satisfying transversal mechanic since then (maybe TotK of course thanks to it's creative side lol).

They know what they're doing and will deliver a banger of a game.

If not, I'm here to be brought to justice :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Hayabusa83

Banned

Get better taste.

I think it's kind of like, "Oh Spiderman is all Sony has to show at the moment. Meh... it looks pretty cool but where is every other dev?"

It would be very hype if this was coming out with Factions a few months later and Ghost of Tsushima 2 or something after.

You clearly didn't read the OP.

No where did I say this was going to sell more than Hogwarts. I said I expect Spider-Man 2 to sell 25+ million units in line with the first one. So not sure how this is going to age well.

Try reading more than thread titles.
I read your entire diatribe not just the title bud. Youre essentially saying theres no hype for the game , it doesnt look much different than the ps4 games from a visual standpoint and that you expect it to be behind hogwarts and totk in sales. And what im saying is that if you think theres a lack of hype behind this game youre kidding yourself. Its Spiderman 😂 Anyways they will advertise the game heavily even though to some extent it doesnt even need it all they gotta do is remind people its coming out not to convince them if they wanna buy it in most cases. Regardless its more than a month away from release so its ad campaign will come to satisfy those eagerly anticipating it lol. Also if you think this game isnt doing anything better visually then its ps4 counterparts then i just dont know what to say to that lol because clearly im arguing with someone not worth arguing with and thats me being nice. “Distinct lack of hype or buzz”.😂 Also you said its gonna sell 15+ million copies not 25+. Did you read your Op ? 😂😂😂 i took a screenshot of it too so dont bother editing it to look right lol . I read your post in entirety and its a bunch of hogwash analysis quite frankly. Stick to your day job Michael Pachter Jr lol.

Last edited:

Dthomp

I read your entire diatribe not just the title bud. Youre essentially saying theres no hype for the game , it doesnt look much different than the ps4 games from a visual standpoint and that you expect it to be behind hogwarts and totk in sales. And what im saying is that if you think theres a lack of hype behind this game youre kidding yourself. Its Spiderman 😂 Have you seen how many reaction videos there were to the gameplay trailer ? Anyways they will advertise the game heavily. Its more than a month away from release. Also if you think this game isnt doing anything better visually then its ps4 counterparts then i just dont know what to say to that lol because clearly im arguing with someone not worth arguing with and thats me being nice. “Distinct lack of hype or buzz”.😂 Also you said its gonna sell 15+ million copies not 25+. Did you read your Op ? 😂😂😂

DIdn't you know? You're supposed to hype the game for years to build completely unrealistic expectations that it can never live up to. Spiderman was one of the best PS4 games and sold crazy, so will the sequel, we don't need a manufactured hype countdown for a game that we'll all buy and enjoy to make us feel better about something? I mean even if it only comes in third to Hogwarts and Zelda....I mean those are pretty amazing games (Loved Hogwarts), not bad company to be in.

I read your entire diatribe not just the title bud. Youre essentially saying theres no hype for the game , it doesnt look much different than the ps4 games from a visual standpoint and that you expect it to be behind hogwarts and totk in sales. And what im saying is that if you think theres a lack of hype behind this game youre kidding yourself. Its Spiderman 😂 Anyways they will advertise the game heavily even though to some extent it doesnt even need it all they gotta do is remind people its coming out not to convince them if they wanna buy it in most cases. Regardless its more than a month away from release so its ad campaign will come to satisfy those eagerly anticipating it lol. Also if you think this game isnt doing anything better visually then its ps4 counterparts then i just dont know what to say to that lol because clearly im arguing with someone not worth arguing with and thats me being nice. “Distinct lack of hype or buzz”.😂 Also you said its gonna sell 15+ million copies not 25+. Did you read your Op ? 😂😂😂 i took a screenshot of it too so dont bother editing it to look right lol . I read your post in entirety and its a bunch of hogwash analysis quite frankly. Stick to your day job Michael Pachter Jr lol.

Talk about diatribes from someone who doesn't know what a paragraph is...

I said they will advertise the game heavily in the OP you said you read.

Do you expect it to sell more than Hogwarts and TOTK?

I think it'll sell 15+ million on PS5 and 25+ on PS5/PC. But regardless, you don't have a response to that? Is 15+ million a low estimate? I doubt your reading skills quite frankly. I don't know what you're arguing other than that there is hype for the game despite your mentioning that more hype will come from an ad campaign. So are you acknowledging the lack of hype today?

DIdn't you know? You're supposed to hype the game for years to build completely unrealistic expectations that it can never live up to. Spiderman was one of the best PS4 games and sold crazy, so will the sequel, we don't need a manufactured hype countdown for a game that we'll all buy and enjoy to make us feel better about something? I mean even if it only comes in third to Hogwarts and Zelda....I mean those are pretty amazing games (Loved Hogwarts), not bad company to be in.
Yeah well said. Agreed. Op is reaching lol and i sense some bias not sure what it is though. Maybe just doesnt enjoy the spiderman games or has some fanboyism going on lol not sure. But I like hearing his analysis paralysis though it’s fascinating 😂

Thirty7ven

Banned
The data you presented shows there’s a lot of hype.

What you mean is that there isn’t a lot of speculation, and there isn’t a lot of a speculation because people are hyped for what they know they are going to get. It’s on Insomniac to surprise us.

Talk about diatribes from someone who doesn't know what a paragraph is...

I said they will advertise the game heavily in the OP you said you read.

Do you expect it to sell more than Hogwarts and TOTK?

I think it'll sell 15+ million on PS5 and 25+ on PS5/PC. But regardless, you don't have a response to that? Is 15+ million a low estimate? I doubt your reading skills quite frankly. I don't know what you're arguing other than that there is hype for the game despite your mentioning that more hype will come from an ad campaign. So are you acknowledging the lack of hype today?
I always love when they turn into grammar police thats how i know they got nothing 😂 Its such a similiar theme amongst you internet attention seekers lol. Not big on being perfectly grammatical in the comments of a gaming forum. Ivy league grad btw to provide context on how empty that insult is 😂 But anyway your response is indicative of someone who clearly doesnt comprehend ironically enough. I said the game doesnt even need an ad campaign other than reminding people of its release date as opposed to selling them on the game. But anyways i enjoyed your analysis paralysis. Continue filibustering. Moving on..

Rockman33

I’d say it’s because the game looks like a known quantity. Visually it looks better of course, but everything else seems similar from what we have scene.

Also since Spiderman 2018 we have gotten 4 Spider-Man movies released in theaters and a miles morales game. Maybe a bit over saturated. Granted they were all good-great. But sometimes too much of a good thing is no longer good.

Having said that I’m still incredibly excited to play as I love the character!

I always love when they turn into grammar police thats how i know they got nothing 😂 Its such a similiar theme amongst you internet attention seekers lol. Not big on being perfectly grammatical in the comments of a gaming forum. Ivy league grad btw to provide context on how empty that insult is 😂 But anyway your response is indicative of someone who clearly doesnt comprehend ironically enough. I said the game doesnt even need an ad campaign other than reminding people of its release date as opposed to selling them on the game. But anyways i enjoyed your analysis paralysis. Continue filibustering. Moving on..

It's literally just hard to read what you write because it's a big block.

I still don't know what you're arguing.

I already stated the game will sell well. I just noted that people are discussing it like other games of its magnitude. It doesn't seem like you're refuting that. And if you read my OP, you acknowledge that I said that it will sell well AND that it will get a massive ad campaign...

So again, not sure what you're arguing.

JaksGhost

I think it's kind of like, "Oh Spiderman is all Sony has to show at the moment. Meh... it looks pretty cool but where is every other dev?"

It would be very hype if this was coming out with Factions a few months later and Ghost of Tsushima 2 or something after.
No, that’s some Gaffer shit to bring up some other Sony dev. You think little Bobby’s not hyped for Spider-Man because Naughty Dog hasn’t announced their next game? He just wants his Spider-Man!

Denton

I have zero hype because I know precisely what to expect after playing first two.

Maybe I would be more hyped if the new game did something more novel, like take place in a different nonUS city, or have more RPG elements with nonlinear story, stuff like that.

supernova8

Banned
So where is the disconnect?

I think it comes down to a few things
  • Despite the successful trailers, Sony really hasn't done much to advertise the game (yet)
  • What we have seen subjectively isn't enough to get excited about
    • It feels like to some that this could have been a sequel on the PS4 albeit there is more detail density and better lighting, nothing we've seen so far suggests this couldn't have been cross-gen
  • I think many of us had the expectation that this would take the PS5 to a new level graphically since it was a major Sony studio
  • The gameplay also doesn't look like anything different
You kinda answered your own question.

I thought the visual fidelity of Miles Morales was basically just a holdover until Spiderman went current-gen only, but now that we've seen roughly what Spiderman 2 will look like, I can't say I'm remotely blown away.

Plus, I feel like everyone more or less already knows what to expect from these Spiderman games now. Unless you're an uber fan of Spiderman specifically, there's no reason to get overly hyped.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Personally for me...I'm kinda Spidermaned out. I guess we basically know what we're gonna get. Similar thing happened with God of War.

I was kinda hoping Wolverine would come out first.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I think maybe you guys are right in that the lack of hype is because it look and play too much like its successors.

Which is crazy considering its the only major Sony 1st party game in the foreseeable future. Even Mario Bros Wonder which is releasing on the same date, has a Direct just very recently

ProtoByte

I think maybe you guys are right in that the lack of hype is because it look and play too much like its successors.

Which is crazy considering its the only major Sony 1st party game in the foreseeable future. Even Mario Bros Wonder which is releasing on the same date, has a Direct just very recently
It's the only major single player PlayStation first party coming out soon. Fairgame$ and Concord are apparently next year, and they've already announced Death Stranding 2.

StueyDuck

Social Media "Hype" isn't a good thing. It's kind of been co-opted by fanboys and console warriors.

The marketing machine will wind up before launch big time. Niche man is going to sell and they know it so why spend millions on marketing for months when you can hard push a week or so before and really go big with the same money

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
It's the only major single player PlayStation first party coming out soon. Fairgame$ and Concord are apparently next year, and they've already announced Death Stranding 2.

Those 2 gaas doesn’t seems major. Death Stranding 2 is developed by Kojima Pro isn’t it.

RPS37

I finally watched Across the Spiderverse tonight.
I’m a little hyped now. When’s of come out again?

It’s more of the same by the look of things, what’s to get excited about? We’ve had 1.5 great Spider-Man games already and got my fill for now.

Trilobit

I’ll get hyped if they show that Black Cat is in the game. Right now its all a big sausage fest with the male characters in game.
Also want to see some good ray tracing at 40fps…..

I even wanted a playable BC in the previous DLC, but I'm not sure if she's fun to control in NY compared to Spidey. Catwoman was fun in Arkham City as the buildings were of proper height. But nevertheless I like the character so I hope she returns, she was pretty much the only attractive woman in previous games, if not counting aunt May.

Spider-Man 1 & Miles Morales were a ton of fun! I pre-ordered SM2 as soon as I could. Now just waiting for the release date.

I wasn’t looking forward to BG3 or Starfield, so then next big game for me is SM2. I’m mad hype!

I wish MM would have been a proper game and not a DLC-like. It felt so barebones compared to Spider-Man 1, but had great new elements like the apartment.

I hope that Spider-Man 2 doesn't just feel like more of the same, but with symbiot.

Last edited:

GC_DALBEN

I Liked "Spiderman 1", but i was a little bored at the end, i liked Miles Morales but couldn finish, i dont know why but was a little bored after playing both, i liked the games, but im not "hyped" for the new one.

No, that’s some Gaffer shit to bring up some other Sony dev. You think little Bobby’s not hyped for Spider-Man because Naughty Dog hasn’t announced their next game? He just wants his Spider-Man!
Sure little bobby. I was mainly thinking of like older players. I for one am really excited to play it but still Peter's face is a turn off that I'll never get over. They essentially deleted Peter Parker from the game for me and replaced him with a new character. But I would also be so much more hype if I knew what was coming after it!

Humdinger

I think maybe Insomniac hurt themselves with the release of Miles Morales and Spider-Man Remastered. Obviously, not financially, but from an expectations perspective.

Yeah, I think so, too. I played both, as well as the original, and I'm just kinda burned out on Spider-Man right now. Can't get hyped.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Sony fanboys are rooting for the game but if Spider-Man 2 was on Xbox series x the hype would be through the roof.

GymWolf

Honestly I would be more worried if they were massively advertising the game everywhere.

The base formula is created and they just have to tweak it.

It will be the best spider-man game in years, I have no doubt in that, it doesn't need to much buzz around it before launch. Fuck, it's Spider-man, come on.

We can fast forward 5 years since its launch on PS4, and it hasn't been a more new satisfying transversal mechanic since then (maybe TotK of course thanks to it's creative side lol).

They know what they're doing and will deliver a banger of a game.

If not, I'm here to be brought to justice :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I know right, there is no risk for alan wale 2 or lords of the fallen to be a better spiderman game than spidey 2.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Calling it now. For how many starfield threads we had we will have just as many Spider-Man threads on release week.

GymWolf

Calling it now. For how many starfield threads we had we will have just as many Spider-Man threads on release week.
That one is not gonna be as remotely as controversial and nobody even expect a goty contender, let alone game of the gen.

Starfield was a way bigger deal for forum warriors than spidey 2 and sony doesn't need victory as much as M (in console warriors terms)

The game could score an 80\82 mc without much fuss imo, the game is not a mistery like starfield, it looks like an iterative, super safe sequel.

Last edited:
I think that it's like 2k...while it may not have a ton of conversation in a gaming forum the average gamer is already locked in. I've seen memes going around "if she buys me spiderman 2 ill clean the kitchen" and stuff like that. It's a known property, so it won't make waves here but it will be the best sellling ps5 game by far. I'm less excited for it than I was for BG3 and starfield, but I'll give it a play. I still hate I can't play on pc day one. Almost makes me want to wait to play.

ecentre

Just finished Star Field, and that shit was good enough but SM2 will fill my shoes. Star Field was a great adventure, but nothing close to Skyrim. I hope SM2 is the SHIT, and I believe it is. Boom! I want to believe again!

Last edited:

Crayon

Is it all over the sides of busses and buildings yet? We like this game too, but it is a very normie kinda thing. Most probably don't realize it's coming out so soon.

JCK75

I loved Spiderman but I felt like not long after it I got miles Morales..and now I just feel fatigued on it and will get it when I can get it cheaper later down the road.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’m excited for the symbiotes, but not for the slow parts like MJ’s stealth sequences. I bet the action will be good and I’m hoping for good collectibles. I played the original, played about a quarter of Miles Morales, and I haven’t gone back since. It’s cool, but I don’t know how to get excited about it. They aren’t going to have the clone saga or something cool beyond some board approved plot.

Last edited:
Marketing seems to be ratcheting up on Instagram. Playstation and Playstation UK accounts are showing quite alot of Spidey 2 stuff and have been for a couple of weeks. Plus, isn't it all over buses and trains in the UK?

Top Bottom