• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Olive Garden in Times Square to Charge $400 Per Person for New Year’s Eve Event

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ocelott

cDU5HZ3.jpg

Anyone have a link to this thread?

NYE in Times Square is awful. Don't let the TV celebration fool you. It's cold, there's thousands of drunk people trapped with you, the portapotties have incredibly long lines, and you literally can't leave until they let you some time in the AM. These poor fucks are paying $400 to be trapped in an Olive Garden. Fuck that.

Karkador

Banned
Part of the price is that you can't get into the Times Square area on NYE without a ticket (which these arrangements provide). Some people pay the price just to get inside.

Anth0ny

not surprised. supply and demand. they can charge out the ass on new years and halloween and people will still come out like crazy.

that's why I hate going out on those days. nothing but bad experiences. house parties are best for new years.

cwmartin

You're so fancy! I really hope one day my class of taste is on your level.

Taco Bell is OK, but Olive Garden is legit, not actually terrible food.

I'm going to forever tell myself you were banned for calling Olive Garden 'legit' and this will make me feel much better and sleep easy.

Rival

Gold Member
If I had the slightest desire to attend that which I don't, I would rather pay $400 and have food and a view of the drop than to wait outside for 24 hours in advance to secure a spot. Maybe I'm wrong that you don't have to do that as I've never wanted to go. Just kind of what I've heard.

rrs

the trick for eating at Olive Garden is only getting the soup, salads, and breadsticks and forgetting every else existed

Amory

idk, sounds fair to me honestly.

apparently you get to stand in a private gated off area to see the ball drop, and you get all you can eat food and an open bar

I actually like olive garden food.... *runs*

Alucrid

Banned
idk, sounds fair to me honestly.

apparently you get to stand in a private gated off area to see the ball drop, and you get all you can eat food and an open bar

I actually like olive garden food.... *runs*
Don't lie to us, there's no running for you

Shadybiz

I think the food's decent..and there are probably places charging more than that for an open bar/DJ party in NYC, not that I care to check.

Still, could think of MUCH better things to do with my money, but if people are able/willing to pay it, then let them have a good time.

You act like Olive Garden food is super shitty or something.

If I could drink/eat Olive garden all night for new years that would be one of the best nights ever.

not sure if joking, but the Olive Garden is super shitty, especially if you consider the price of their standard entrees. You could make any entree on their menu for like $4 at home, and it would be much, much better. They're charging like $15 - $20 for horrible Italian food.

I put the Olive Garden below places like Applebees, TGIFridays, and Chili's, mostly because while those places are similarly prices (maybe a couple bucks less than the OG) and similarly not good, at least they serve things that might be a little harder to make at home... like fried buffalo wings or something, I dont' have a fryer, so I can kind of understand it. Italian food, on the other hand, is very easy to make at home (especially to the calibur of the OG) and all of the ingredients are readily available at any market anywhere in the US for very little money. Also, generally, the bars at those three restaurants -- while not good -- are better than the Olive Garden, which typically has like 3 terrible beers and shitty overpriced cheap wine.

Don't lie to us, there's no running for you

People shitting on Olive Garden is just internet hyperbole at its finest. Is it amazing food? No. It's mostly blandish pasta, soup and salad but it's inoffensive and there are much worse chains out there. It's perfectly fine for eating while drinking and chilling with peps in Times Square on NYE. The food isn't supposed to be the main event.

not sure if joking, but the Olive Garden is super shitty, especially if you consider the price of their standard entrees. You could make any entree on their menu for like $4 at home, and it would be much, much better. They're charging like $15 - $20 for horrible Italian food.

What are you on about? I just went to the website. The only item at $20 on the main menu is a steak dish. The vast majority of it is $11-$15 and the lunch menu is sub $10. I didn't expect myself to be defending OG of all places but coooome oooooon.

Olive Garden is meant to be a suburban restaurant next to a mall to pig out, not to be authentic. Just like all chain restaurants near malls.

But what I don't get about Time Square is that they shoved all these chain suburban restaurants allover Time Square to cater to suburban tourists. That is stupid because the city in other parts have good restaurants.

I get it, when you are spending a Sunday at Walmart and want to pig out, yeah, Olive Garden is good for tht.

But, when it the big city, at least make an effort at eating at a real good restaurant

BizzyBum

So you and a date (cause who goes down there alone) would be $800. You get free olive garden food, an open bar (with watered down drinks, I'm sure), a bathroom, and a not-so-great view of the ball drop. People are okay with this? NYC is just becoming absurd with prices.

And tbh, I think you'd be mad to ever actually go down there and watch the ball drop in this day and age with terror attacks and mass shootings.

Olive Garden is meant to be a suburban restaurant next to a mall to pig out, not to be authentic. Just like all chain restaurants near malls.

But what I don't get about Time Square is that they shoved all these chain suburban restaurants allover Time Square to cater to suburban tourists. That is stupid because the city in other parts have good restaurants.

I get it, when you are spending a Sunday at Walmart and want to pig out, yeah, Olive Garden is good for tht.

But, when it the big city, at least make an effort at eating at a real good restaurant

tumblr_lg0k6dSBkA1qg1j1no1_500.jpg

People shitting on Olive Garden is just internet hyperbole at its finest. Is it amazing food? No. It's mostly blandish pasta, soup and salad but it's inoffensive and there are much worse chains out there. It's perfectly fine for eating while drinking and chilling with peps in Times Square on NYE. The food isn't supposed to be the main event.

I love things like White Castle and Taco Bell. I'm far from a food snob.

I would rather have a can of Chef Boyardee ravioli than Olive Garden and that's not hyperbole.

Most I've ever paid for a NYE in NYC was $150, and that was at club with all you can drink for the entire evening.

It's the sort of thing you do once for the experience. At any trendy bar in town you're going to spend well over $100 in drinks anyway to get plastered through 3AM.

It blows my god damn mind the amount of stupid-dumb fucking money people are willing to throw down just to be allowed through the door of an establishment for one night so they have the privilege of paying more to drink themselves into forgetting how much fucking stupid-dumb money they paid just to get in.

I would not fault Olive Garden for making this move, it is smart business. For some reason, New Years Eve is when all financial sense gets thrown out the window.

Wensih

If your praise of the food is it's bland but inoffensive, then I'm not sure if it is internet hyperbole at its finest...

It blows my god damn mind the amount of stupid-dumb fucking money people are willing to throw down just to be allowed through the door of an establishment for one night so they have the privilege of paying more to drink themselves into forgetting how much fucking stupid-dumb money they paid just to get in.

I would not fault Olive Garden for making this move, it is smart business. For some reason, New Years Eve is when all financial sense gets thrown out the window.

It's just money bro.

If you're praise of the food is it's bland but inoffensive, then I'm not sure if it is internet hyperbole at its finest...

Bland and inoffensive doesn't equal...

I would rather have a can of Chef Boyardee ravioli than Olive Garden and that's not hyperbole.

What are you on about? I just went to the website. The only item at $20 on the main menu is a steak dish. The vast majority of it is $11-$15 and the lunch menu is sub $10. I didn't expect myself to be defending OG of all places but coooome oooooon.

Just looked at the dinner menu:

http://www.olivegarden.com/menu-listing/dinner#cucina-classica-classic-recipes

They probably do adjust prices locally, but where I am outside of Boston, every meat or fish entree on the menu is $15 - $20. Vegetarian/no-meat dishes are $12 to $15. There's only 1 meat dish less than $15, and that's Garlic Rosemary chicken which s $14.49. Their "Lasagna Classico" might also be $14.49 and I can't tell if that has ground beef in it or not.

3htBuIU.png

RYUSoEo.png

So yeah, nearly every entree is $15 - $20.

A problem with Olive Garden is that they serve bad Italian food at prices slightly more expensive than other shitty chains. TGIFridays, Applebee's, etc., they're bad too, but they're generally not serving Italian food. Italian food is very cheap and easy to make at home if you're making it to the calibur of the Olive Garden. If you're getting burgers and fries at Applebees for $13 or chicken fried steak from Chili's for $15, I'm not as angry about it because those things aren't as easy to make at home as the Olive Garden's dog-food calibur Italian food.

The majority of all American chain restaurants serve bagged frozen meals that they heat in a microwave. Your Stuffed Chicken Marsala comes to the Olive Garden frozen, in a bag, with everything included... the sauce, mushrooms, everything else, frozen in a small bag along with 50 other Stuff Chicken Marsalas. When you order it, the line cook takes the bag out of the freezer, opens it, puts it in the microwave, heats it up, and puts it on a plate. They charge you $17 for this. now, this is also true of any pasta dish you get at Chili's or TGIFridays, it's all frozen in a bag, but Chili's and TGIFridays don't focus their menu around bagged, frozen food that's cooked in a microwave. At least if you get a burger at Chili's, it's actually grilled for you and made there.

*edit*

And don't be fooled by the photos of your pasta cobanara. This is what you'll get for your $15 except there will be previously frozen, microwaved chicken on it

Y2MXpnf.png

Couleurs

the trick for eating at Olive Garden is only getting the soup, salads, and breadsticks and forgetting every else existed

if they were smart they'd start a bunch of small locations all over every downtown that just sold soup/salads/breadsticks, so people could pop in during lunch breaks

You're welcome Olive Garden, I just made you a ton of money

Wensih

if they were smart they'd start a bunch of small locations all over every downtown that just sold soup/salads/breadsticks, so people could pop in during lunch breaks

They should just start a homeless shelter. You're welcome Olive Garden.

They should just start a homeless shelter. You're welcome Olive Garden.

I laughed.

They'd lose money lots of money on the soup/salad/breadsticks location. It wouldn't pay the rent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom