• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firefox taking dumps

Status
Not open for further replies.
I updated my Firefox about a month or so ago for some reason, and now it has a heart attack any time a gif loads at all on a page. Pretty much impossible to scroll through any thread that has 2+ gifs or images. Thinking whatever they did in version 40+ broke some things.
Same issue, and for about the same amount of time (somewhere around Firefox 41 or 42 that I noticed it).

Disabling Hardware Acceleration seemed to make the problem marginally better, but still didn't solve it. Using the 64-bit version of Firefox did nothing to solve it. It became such an irritation browsing with Firefox choking on each and every animated .gif on any given page that I've slunk back to Chrome, which I never thought I'd have to do.

Yup, it sucks on NeoGAF. Big time. So many "beachballs" in recent months.

Firefox seems to want to load the entire GIF before rendering that part of a page, rather than show it as it loads like it used to. That can mean waiting 10+ seconds while the browser hangs when someone decides it would be fun to drop a 30 MB reaction GIF into a thread.

It's made much worse when the GIFs come over an https connection.
Yeah, this seems to be the case. Even smaller .gifs can completely freeze Firefox for extended periods if the server delivering them is slow. After 4+ full versions of Firefox with this functionality, I realized they either see this working as intended, or are in no hurry to fix it.

pestul

Yeah, I'm still using Firefox 40+ but only because of some of the extension support. The performance has been brutal lately especially on gaf. Sometimes I make the mistake of holding that page down button, which inevitably results in the dreaded 'Not Responding'. Get your shit together Mozilla! (I've had hw acceleration disabled for a while now).

jett

D-Member
Those of you that have the problem with gifs, try disabling hardware acceleration. It's in the options under "Advanced".

I think this might have helped, thanks! Reading the doge thread without any hiccups.

jstripes

Banned
I've been using Firefox since it first came out, and this GIF issue is seriously making me consider switching to something else. It makes reading NeoGAF threads a complete pain in the ass.

I updated my Firefox about a month or so ago for some reason, and now it has a heart attack any time a gif loads at all on a page. Pretty much impossible to scroll through any thread that has 2+ gifs or images. Thinking whatever they did in version 40+ broke some things.

long time firefox user, when I switched over to windows 10, I started getting this.

practically if any pictures or gifs are loading on a page, scrolling with the wheel doesn't work.

I switched over to chrome, haven't looked back yet.

Undefined

I think firefox is better at handling more tabs.
Chrome is good with fewer tabs. But I usually have around 50 tabs, so im still a firefox user.

pestul

Are they listening to GAF? Mine just updated to 44.0.2 and the problem is gone..

I even turned hardware acceleration back on and went into the gif-heavy BvS Final Trailer thread with no problems with fast scrolling.

Annubis

Are they listening to GAF? Mine just updated to 44.0.2 and the problem is gone..

I even turned hardware acceleration back on and went into the gif-heavy BvS Final Trailer thread with no problems with fast scrolling.

Seconded.
I just upgraded after reading this and even my weak ass work computer stopped freezing with .gif

Huzzah!

malfcn

Too late for me. Had to lose my logins and history and all that stuff with a fresh start.

I think a page detail showed gaf viewed a million times. Oh well.

Raist

Banned
I've been having issues like that for a while.

It'd just "crash" with a connection timeout or security issue whatever. Not due to my connection because it happens at work too. Tried to clear all the history and cookies etc, but it fixed fuck all. It's super annoying, especially for work.

I seem to be running 45.0b4... not entirely sure how I downgrade. :(

jstripes

Banned

I "downgraded" to 44.0.2 (I was on 45 beta), and went to the BvS thread.

Holy shit, my months-long nightmare is finally over!

smurfx

get some go again
many sites were taking too long to remember my view settings but the update fixed it. going to try entering threads with big gifs to see if it got better.

Schrade

Switch to Palemoon, its Firefox before they decided to turn it into Chrome.

Yup, this. The only downside to Pale Moon is that you can't do YouTube 1080p60 videos. Can only do 720p in html5 and 1080p30 in Flash.

I keep a separate installation of Cyberfox specifically for YouTube videos that I want to see in 60fps though.

Use Chrome.

Fuck no. Chrome is the reason why Firefox itself has been turned to shit. For some reason the people running the decisions for Firefox thought that doing version numbers and all-in-one addressbar/searchbar shit was a good idea just like Chrome. What a stupid thing to do. Now they're doing even more stupid shit that Chrome does and it's given people no reason at all to run Firefox. The customizability and uniqueness of it is dying.

Long live the forks and projects spawned from it. (Pale Moon, Cyberfox, etc..)

Lebon14

Same here. If there's too much GIFs (1 is OK, more than that is... ugh), firefox becomes extremely unstable. And, yeah... I agree that firefox has become extremely unstable these days. Still won't move to anything else.

pestul

I just had it lock up on me again with 4 GAF tabs open. Two of them were certainly gif-heavy, but I guess I'm not in the clear with 44.0.2.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Firefox ran perfectly fine for me for years until it started to crash all the time for me about a few months ago.

Switched to Chrome.

Not

Banned
NeoGaf on Firefox was becoming unusable at one point because everytime it tried to load a GIF when I was scrolling it hung for like five to twenty minutes.

Turned out to be a sketch add-on, but still

pestul

Now that I'm thinking about it, I did just come out of sleep on the laptop and I hadn't closed those tabs before I started scrolling. It could be more related to that because the problem hasn't cropped up since. I don't know what it is, but I still prefer Firefox to Chrome and always have. I'm positive all the extensions I use now are supported under Chrome as well.

I used Cyberfox/Waterfox for a while but then I heard they weren't going to be update going forward and that made me kind of worried. I might try Palemoon out and just migrate over my profiles (manually). See if I get lucky with all my extensions.

It has actually improved with the latest update (44.0.2), funnily enough. It now hangs long only when going to a tab with active gifs and if there are a lot in one thread, but a shorter amount of time.

Browsing neogaf is almost functional now. :p

pestul

Really? I've never had a problem with it.

Most of the issues I've had were GIFs recently, and flash stuff.

No problems with HTML5 here. I tried out Palemoon but sure enough, a few important extensions like KeeFox were not compatible.

That one freeze yesterday seems to have been an isolated case as it's been smooth sailing again with Firefox.

pestul

Yeah, it's back in force again now. Apparently it's called Firefox Jank.

https://hacks.mozilla.org/2016/02/smoother-scrolling-in-firefox-46-with-apz/

And it looks like they'll have it fixed soon, with a tech Asynchronous Panning and Zooming. It may produce the nasty side-effect of checkerboarding when scrolling fast, but at least 'Not-responding' shouldn't happen.

EDIT: I can confirm that it's fixed in Firefox Developer's Channel (46.0a2). I didn't notice any of this 'checkerboarding' scrolling/page down in heavily gif'ed GAF threads.

sinxtanx

EDIT: I can confirm that it's fixed in Firefox Developer's Channel (46.0a2). I didn't notice any of this 'checkerboarding' scrolling/page down in heavily gif'ed GAF threads.

yes, the scrolling is excellent in this latest version

but now the gifs themselves chug noticeably...I'll take it

pestul

I just went straight to the Nightly build which will immediately incorporate with whatever profiles you have installed now. Nightly builds are on 47.0a1.

I had to find a special xpi for my KeeFox extension, but all my other ones worked fine.

Very smooth GAF browsing now.

farisr

Yeah, only recently started having problems with firefox (like a week or so). Was working perfectly fine before. I know it's not a pc issue because I can go and start up a game or a really high-fidelity video when firefox is hanging and they run smoothly.

ironcreed

Banned
Youtube freezes every time I start a video on Firefox and has for awhile now. There are also other random hangups. I think I might move to Edge for good, like I have been thinking about doing for awhile now.

I was having the same gif issues until updating to 44.0.2, and I noticed page loading in general is a lot faster than before. How long it will last who knows, they sure like to update a lot.

Also to everyone saying "get Chrome, lol" - maybe we already have it? Maybe we tried it and didn't like it? This is a thread about a firefox issue, not a thread looking for alternatives. You're not helping and your alternative has just as many problems.

pestul

The only reason I have Chrome installed is for Chrome Remote Desktop. It's an amazing piece of software free for home or commercial. That's part of the reason I don't use it as my primary browser as well. I have a few profiles on there and some of them are work-related. A bit tedious switching back and forth all the time.

pestul

Okay, so Nightly was suffering from a different set of issues. On to trying Cyberfox x64 Intel path. So far so good lol

I was actually surprised both of my FF profiles and all my extensions were compatible right out of the gate, and I didn't know they were still updating it past Australis.

Faerith

Neo Member
Switch to Palemoon, its Firefox before they decided to turn it into Chrome.

Does it have tab groups and can it run NoScript?
Since Firefox is removing the wonderful feature of tab groups I'm going to need a new browser,
but addons like NoScript are a must for me.

Adaren

This started happening to me on my laptop recently. Firefox would sometimes randomly hang while playing video, or have weird stuttering errors, or give me a "Crash Report" when I closed it.

Turns out that I set Firefox to use my nVIdia card at some point. I swapped it to Integrated Graphics and the errors have been significantly less frequent, so far.

Accoun

Does it have tab groups and can it run NoScript?
Since Firefox is removing the wonderful feature of tab groups I'm going to need a new browser,
but addons like NoScript are a must for me.

Noscript, absolutely. Tab groups were split off from the browser core, but turned into an add-on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom