• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Neiteio

I'm not very familiar with Code Veronica, but I just started the CV scenario in Darkside Chronicles, and while I don't know how accurately it summarizes the game, it's pretty cool so far. My only complaint is Steve looks too much like Leon, although I like his good nature and playful personality. The Ashfords seem fucking Looney Tunes and scratch that itch left by Salazar. The island prison is atmospheric in the rain. Continuing to play more now!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm not very familiar with Code Veronica, but I just started the CV scenario in Darkside Chronicles, and while I don't know how accurately it summarizes the game, it's pretty cool so far. My only complaint is Steve looks too much like Leon, although I like his good nature and playful personality. The Ashfords seem fucking Looney Tunes and scratch that itch left by Salazar. The island prison is atmospheric in the rain. Continuing to play more now!

Steve was originally supposed to be Leon, but they didn't want Leon to fall in love with Claire, so they made Steve.

And I like his Darkside Chronicles version of himself. The original Code Veronica Steam is... Probably the most hilariously voiced character in all of Resident Evil.

His voicing is quite an accomplishment. In turn though, Alfred sounds super deep in Darkside Chronicles, but I find his original voice (and laugh) in Code Veronica to be a joy.

When in a supposed RE fan thread there's gushing over 6 and people saying they ,,play" one of the classics the first time through a lightgun collection.

T1ShbNd.gif

/s...or not?

Seyavesh

When in a supposed RE fan thread there's gushing over 6 and people saying they ,,play" one of the classics the first time through a lightgun collection.

/s...or not?
haha, that thread is a mess anyway- it's less of a fan thread and more of a hate thread
it fits the usual RE thread cycle of morons not understanding that different folks have different strokes while doing everything in their power to helplessly scream into the void that the other party is wrong

Dusk Golem

T1ShbNd.gif

/s...or not?

Fans come in all types. I personally enjoy all the mainline Resident Evils, and I don't think it's surprising someone may get into the newer games, then go back to play the older games, or anything like that, and I think both the newer and older have their own appeals.

Plus Neiteio's a cool cat, enjoy reading his post and he does a fantastic job expressing his thoughts and feelings on things he experiences and his opinions in a fun to read way.

Vibranium

Banned
Future mainline games need to be more like RE4 with no co-op or Ashley if you ask me. I do enjoy both the old and new, though RE4 is still my favorite of the modern gameplay.

I just hope RE2make is fairly faithful to the original gameplay with the camera angles. Give an option for tank controls with a modern default.

Neiteio

http://i.imgur.com/T1ShbNd.gif[img]

/s...or not?[/QUOTE]
Hey, we're all fans here! :-)

Everyone comes to the series in different ways. I know you mainly like the old RE games, but I like 'em all!

I started out watching a friend play through REmake. Then I picked up RE4 and fell in love with the series... The atmosphere and attention to detail, the sheer absurdity of the level design, the memorable settings, the cool characters and creatures, and concepts like the viruses and plagas. From there I started looking into the lore, but at the time I couldn't wrap my head around tank controls, so I admired the original trilogy from a distance.

I went onto to play RE5 and RER1, and thoroughly enjoyed both of them. In fact, I just replayed both titles within the past month. I have mixed feelings about RE6, but I was among the first on GAF to recognize it has brilliant mechanics. I made the tutorial thread here explaining the combat and mobility. I feel it's a worthwhile game overall.

I love RER2 and preached the good word when it came out. I'm thinking I'll replay it soon. And since then, I've gone back to REmake and played through it myself. Now I understand tank controls, so I'm open to trying RE2, RE3, etc. Although part of me wants to save RE2 for the remake.

I keep daydreaming about what kind of scenario we might see in RE7 or RER3, so lately I've been interested in the lore of past titles. That's what attracted me to the light-gun games. They have condensed summaries of games I haven't played, with nicely detailed graphics that allow me to appreciate the creatures and settings.

Like all of the Birkin transformations, Mr. X and his Super Tyrant form, etc, are awesome! The RE2 scenario is fantastic. I'm like four or five levels into the CV scenario and I'm also digging it. Really like the atmosphere of the prison, training facility, mansion, etc. The rain outside and the warm lighting inside; the creepy dolls and merry-go-round. The mystery of who bombed the island and let loose the virus. Also, the hint of incest with the Ashford twins and their sadistic moment with the dragonfly and ants... Crazy!

I'm open to playing the actual games, but in the meantime this is a fun way to get up to speed on the lore for the titles I missed. They're also rock-solid shooters. I already want to replay nearly every level so far. In fact, I replayed the entire RE2 scenario and it was even better the second time around.

Good stuff! This series is one of the best in gaming. :-)

Don't save RE2 for the remake. You will appreciate the remake all the more if you understand all the lovingly recreated details or new twists to fuck with your expectations.

Plus RE2 is just so damn good. Play it.

Manu

/s...or not?
This is a thread for RE fans. As in, the whole series.

Some of us like all eras.

Also, sheesh at that RE6 thread. I didn't even bother to post there.

Neiteio

Don't save RE2 for the remake. You will appreciate the remake all the more if you understand all the lovingly recreated details or new twists to fuck with your expectations.

Sure, but you need to play RER1! (I know it's a divisive title here, but I hope you'll give it a try. It doesn't demo well, so don't judge it based on that.)

Also, what's the best version of RE2 I can get if I have a PS3 and PS4?

RSB

Banned
I like all the RE games, but I won't lie if I had to choose between RE 1-3 or RE4-6 I would choose 4-6 in a heartbeat.
Damn, for me that would be like choosing between mom and dad.

Seeing that other thread makes me wonder how many posters got their dog killed by RE6... LOL

Neiteio

Then also play RE3 after, because despite what some people say, game is fucking great.
Actually, I'm really interested in RE3. I've watched clips of it, and the way Nemesis shows up again and again is fucking awesome. Plus, I saw this scene with a giant worm that looked cool. And I think it's neat how it appears to be set both before and after RE2. Like there's a time lapse there. Intriguing premise.

Sure, but you need to play RER1! (I know it's a divisive title here, but I hope you'll give it a try. It doesn't demo well, so don't judge it based on that.)

Replay RER1??? I've never played it! Sadly no way to either. All I have access to is PS4 and Vita.

Edit: either you stealth edited your post or I missread haha. Yes I need to play it.

Out of those options you can only play RE2 on a ps3, so that

Manu

Sure, but you need to replay RER1! (I know it's a divisive title here, but I hope you'll give it a try. It doesn't demo well, so don't judge it based on that.)

PS1 classic. It's your only choice actually.

Neiteio

Replay RER1??? I've never played it! Sadly no way to either. All I have access to is PS4 and Vita.

Out of those options you can only play RE2 on a ps3, so that
I just edited my post. I meant to say "play." I know you haven't played it — that was a typo!

(Thought it would've been evident from the part in parentheses. Curse my speedy fingers!)

Neiteio

I must say, after Darkside Chronicles, I'm sold on RE2. I know the PSX original won't look as good, but the creature designs for Mr. X/Super Tyrant, Chief Irons and the five forms of William Birkins are just amazing. Especially the Birkin transformations. What a fantastic concept. First he's half-man/half-monster, lumbering about brandishing a pipe. Then his new head takes control and his human head is all but assimilated into his body. Then he has a skull-like face and four lanky arms with massive claws and the fanged orifice on his chest — this is probably my favorite form. Then he assumes a quadrupedal stance, clambering up walls like a feral beast. And finally you have his massive slug form with his gaping maw and many tendrils. And the whole motif with the eyeballs throughout... "G," as the monster in all its forms appears to be called, is probably one of the best designs in the series. Again, I've only experienced it in Darkside Chronicles, but I'm sure it's great in the original game, as well. And I can't wait to see what it'll look like in the remake, especially if the art direction is comparable to REmake 1 in terms of atmosphere and detail.

Even though it's PS1, RE2 still looks GREAT, I think. The wonderful color palette, the super detailed prerrendered backgrounds, the monster designs, just a lovely looking game. And then when you throw in the God tier soundtrack and sound design...umph that shit gets me going. All the game needs to be perfect, is another difficulty level and better puzzles. The puzzles are the weakest out of almost any RE game. But RE3 rectified the shit out of that.

Actually, I'm really interested in RE3. I've watched clips of it, and the way Nemesis shows up again and again is fucking awesome. Plus, I saw this scene with a giant worm that looked cool. And I think it's neat how it appears to be set both before and after RE2. Like there's a time lapse there. Intriguing premise.
Nemesis is great. There are quite a lot of different monsters in 3. I really liked the supporting characters, Carlos, Mikhail, and Nikolai. It has cool sort of choose your own adventure moments. Plus original mercs side game lol.

Neff

I still can't fathom why you didn't spend 6 dollars on the PSN version of RE2 and just... played it.

You've only had 18 years of people telling you it's a straight up masterpiece and one of the best games in the series after all.

I mean, nobody needs to be 'sold' on RE2.

Manu

I still can't fathom why you didn't spend 6 dollars on the PSN version of RE2 and just... played it.

You've only had 18 years of people telling you it's a straight up masterpiece and one of the best games in the series after all.

Also this.

Akibared

That fantastic Claire booty is the number one reason to play the CV section!

Neiteio

Even though it's PS1, RE2 still looks GREAT, I think. The wonderful color palette, the super detailed prerrendered backgrounds, the monster designs, just a lovely looking game. And then when you throw in the God tier soundtrack and sound design...umph that shit gets me going. All the game needs to be perfect, is another difficulty level and better puzzles. The puzzles are the weakest out of almost any RE game. But RE3 rectified the shit out of that.
I'm curious to see what the giant alligator encounter is like in the original game. That shit was awesome in Darkside Chronicles. Makes me want a villain who keeps a giant alligator as a pet in RE7 or RER3.

That reminds me, has there be an RE villain who is essentially an eccentric collector of BOWs? At this point there's been such a great variety of monsters that I wouldn't mind a "best of" encounter with a villain who's been collecting all of them. There'd be new monsters, too, but I think it'd be neat to face a villain who has Hunters -and- Lickers, derivatives of Plant 42 and Plant 43 (Ivy in RE2), a giant alligator, the Revenants from RER2, etc. He (or she) could keep them in some fantastical collection resembling The House on the Rock in Wisconsin, and they could all escape (naturally).

Neiteio

I need to be in a particular mood to play tank-control RE. I don't crave them the same way I crave the more action-oriented game. (That may be because I only recently learned how to play them)

So while I enjoy them immensely when I'm in the right headspace for them, I can't just force myself to feel the urge. But after seeing the scenario in DC, I think I'm feeling the itch now. :)

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Yeah, just as an awareness thing, the intent of the thread is to foster community among RE fans of all stripes.

In creating this thread, I didn't envision a "correct" type of fan, nor did I consider a minimum experience requirement for declaring oneself a fan. I'll update the OP to reflect this, but I consider policing/questioning somebody's "RE Cred" an off-topic/disruptive sort of thing & really would rather not have it here.

"If you can, I suggest playing one of the greatest games ever made. Only if, you know, you get around to it."

kogasu

C'mon guys, let's be nice here. We are allowed to have differing opinions. <3

Anyway, I think I'm planning on going back through the series again. I feel like I've forgotten a lot of 5 and 6. Reading that RE6 thread and many things have caused me to want to reaffirm my own opinions on those two especially since it's been some time since I've played 'em.

What type of controls do you guys use in RE5?

I see sooooo many people who always just complain about the controls, the mobility and when hosting online I see so many that don't know how to play this game the way it's meant. And I can't blame people because the game never really teaches you how to play to it's fullest potential and it's annoying. There's a reason for example why in RE5 versus you get so many grenades and then I just see people just throw all 10 in a few seconds and I'm just like... oh, that's nice.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

I see sooooo many people who always just complain about the controls, the mobility and when hosting online I see so many that don't know how to play this game the way it's meant. And I can't blame people because the game never really teaches you how to play to it's fullest potential and it's annoying. There's a reason for example why in RE5 versus you get so many grenades and then I just see people just throw all 10 in a few seconds and I'm just like... oh, that's nice.

Iirc, configuration B is basically RE4 controls, except they altered it so you control the camera and aim with the right stick? Well, you also aim/shoot with L1 and R1. So not exactly RE4, but as far as how your character moves and aims, what they can do, it plays like RE4. Just buttons moved around a bit.

That is how I wanted to play. The animation looks a lot better this way. That's for sure.

Ultimately I think I eventually went full-scrub and enabled whatever configuration has strafe and modernized shooter controls. :(

I've been told the RE5 pros all use the same configuration (A or B iirc) but you guys are too good so whatever.

kuYuri

The RE4 control scheme AKA tank controls, the one true way to play RE games.

;)

cheez124

type b is what i use, although admittedly i only really started using it because you can do that quick turning thing with it which helps in mercs.

The CV stuff in Darkside Chronicles was fun, though I really didn't like some of the liberties it took from the original's plot. If the story and characters really interest you I suggest playing CV after, or reading up the plot online if you can't be bothered. Some of the characterization and certain events were rewritten in DC in a way that kind of ruined some of the themes of the original game (IMO).

In particular (major spoiler, don't read until you've beaten it)
in Darkside, Alexia actually angrily kills Alfred, whereas in the original, Alexia finds him already dead and cradles him warmly in her arms. Part of why I love Alfred/Alexia so much as villains is that their brotherly/sisterly connection made them seem a bit more humanized than, say, Wesker who just blindly wants power and kills even his own allies. Darkside tossed that element to the siblings aside. In the original game Clarie/Chris and Alexia/Alfred were supposed to be mirrors of each other, both pairs of siblings trying to reunite with each other, each in a completely different manner. But by Alexia killing Alfred it ruins that. Ah well, Darkside is not technically canon anyway.

Neiteio

The CV stuff in Darkside Chronicles was fun, though I really didn't like some of the liberties it took from the original's plot. If the story and characters really interest you I suggest playing CV after, or reading up the plot online if you can't be bothered. Some of the characterization and certain events were rewritten in DC in a way that kind of ruined some of the themes of the original game (IMO).

in Darkside, Alexia actually angrily kills Alfred, whereas in the original, Alexia finds him already dead and cradles him warmly in her arms. Part of why I love Alfred/Alexia so much as villains is that their brotherly/sisterly connection made them seem a bit more humanized than, say, Wesker who just blindly wants power and kills even his own allies. Darkside tossed that element to the siblings aside. In the original game Clarie/Chris and Alexia/Alfred were supposed to be mirrors of each other, both pairs of siblings trying to reunite with each other, each in a completely different manner. But by Alexia killing Alfred it ruins that. Ah well, Darkside is not technically canon anyway.
Just beat the CV scenario in DC, and that's an interesting change. I wonder why they altered it that way.

Did they ever make a version of RE4 where you could aim with right stick? Played RE5 before RE4 and couldn't play RE4 aiming with the left stick =/

If not hopefully they new port we get adds this

Neiteio

Just beat Darkside Chronicles. Excellent game! Not sure if I'll jump straight into Umbrella Chronicles. Kind of want to power up my weapons more and unlock more stuff in archives (figures, files, etc).

Also, what'a with this message: "You must get stronger in order to protect those dearest to you." Can I save
Manuela
?

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Just beat Darkside Chronicles. Excellent game! Not sure if I'll jump straight into Umbrella Chronicles. Kind of want to power up my weapons more and unlock more stuff in archives (figures, files, etc).

Also, what'a with this message: "You must get stronger in order to protect those dearest to you." Can I save
Manuela
?

Beat Javier faster next time.

Dusk Golem

Manuela
?

Beat Javier with a faster time to get the 'true' ending, which will also unlock a version of the final chapter where you hear Krauser's inner thoughts which leads him into his position in RE4.

It's also not clear if it will be a completely different game like FF7remake.

Apart from the additional story being underwhelming, UC also changed things for the worse. In particular these awful cyber Mr.Xes added to the main story. Not recommended.

I remember how UC originally wars't supposed to be lightgun games though. I guess it would have been something like Raid for each game instead.

Top Bottom