• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

kuYuri

Never say never. But as of right now the outlook is pretty grim, even after Jurassic World's success. At this point i'm hoping for new PC ports and going from there.

I actually need to play Dino Crisis 2, it's the one I wanted to play back then and never got to due to timing and limited funds. I bought the PS1 Classic version awhile back, I should really get to it...

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I actually need to play Dino Crisis 2, it's the one I wanted to play back then and never got to due to timing and limited funds. I bought the PS1 Classic version awhile back, I should really get to it...

Dino Crisis 2 is not quite a RE clone, but really good. Bit more action-y, but in a good way... It almost seems like Capcom's inspiration for the Mercenaries Mode in RE4 onward, since each room you get a rank and points based on time, a combo system like Mercs, not taking damage, etc., and use points to buy supplies, weapons, upgrades, etc. Quite addicting and fun.

Plus more dinosaurs, vast open locations that recall back to older horror games, and some really cool moments (like the underwater section). I say it's just as good as the original game, but different.

I love how Dino Crisis 1 & 2 play off of the established Resident Evil formula. 2 more than 1, but even the first game changed it up with its more ferocious common Dinosaur enemies (the much faster and more intelligent raptors replacing the basic zombie, as an example), and amping up the puzzle element.

News Bot

Banned
Dino Crisis puzzles beat any in the BIO series. So much more fun and rewarding but at the same time not too difficult. Daunting at times, maybe, but simplistic in solution.

There is a lot missing from that, the night area was a really cool segment with Majini attacking from almost black darkness and only a floodlight and flares to highlight them before they were right on top of you. Was also a marshland with invisible enemies which look like unused licker designs, the segment resembled RE4 where you find similar enemies only instead of giving themselves away like in RE4 they would wait and ambush the player with a QTE to dodge the opening attack. Was also a playable flashback scene of Jill in an escape attempt, she sends a message for help then for some reason returns to her stasis pod, it's unclear why though believe it is virus related. Jill had other roles that in the final game were performed by other characters instead, mostly Sheva.

That says beta analysis,but they seem to just be looking at the RE5 artbook and early trailers with no info from actual pre release versions. RE5 I think has more unused or dropped concepts and material than any other title in the series. Probably due to how long they were working on it for compared to other games.

This outfit and the other for Moira is so awkward.

Claire would not dress like this.

Look, I love sexy outfits as the next guy but this was just awkward.

Yeah I like costumes that feel right for a character, the ridiculous ones are not my thing. My fav costume in RE0 Remaster is actually the original RE1 costume, despite it being similar to the REmake costume. I think the game calls it STARS 1996. Also like the REDC costume, which RE0 calls STARS 1997.

Grisby

The Best Costume

regina___jill_alternate___by_bluejet97-d4w9b2r.png
I thought it was pretty cool that Amy in the Dead Rising 3 dlc had a Regina outfit.

Dusk Golem

Dino Crisis puzzles beat any in the BIO series. So much more fun and rewarding but at the same time not too difficult. Daunting at times, maybe, but simplistic in solution.

I'm in agreement with you and that was one element that surprised me a lot when I played the first Dino Crisis. My opinion, it's up there as some of the best puzzles in a horror game. They're fun, varied, some actually effect other gameplay elements in some way, and none of them are to hard or to easy.

I love how Dino Crisis 1 & 2 play off of the established Resident Evil formula. 2 more than 1, but even the first game changed it up with its more ferocious common Dinosaur enemies (the much faster and more intelligent raptors replacing the basic zombie, as an example), and amping up the puzzle element.

Aside from the pre-rendered backgrounds of DC2, I think DC1 is much more like the RE formula. Especially if you compare it to RE3 with the player choices and actions affecting the story and enemy encounters.

News Bot

Banned
RE5 I think has more unused or dropped concepts and material than any other title in the series.

Technically, that would be "BIO4." If you take into account that it started development as BIOHAZARD 3 in 1997 on the PlayStation under Masaaki Yamada with HUNK on a cruise ship. Then it transitioned to the PlayStation 2 under Hideki Kamiya with Leon as the son of Spencer. Then it was Tony Redgrave. Then Dante. Then it became BIOHAZARD 4 and eventually Devil May Cry.

Then it was restarted under Hiroshi Shibata but ran into technical difficulties due to the GameCube's limitations preventing them from even using enemies in most areas and the scene in the trailer with curtains blowing in the wind ended up using the console's full RAM capacity. Then it was scrapped again and restarted under Shinji Mikami leading to the released version.

That article really just summarizes things that every single game in the series went through. It's all spitballing. The storyboards and concept art don't mean much.

Dusk Golem

Aside from the pre-rendered backgrounds of DC2, I think DC1 is much more like the RE formula. Especially if you compare it to RE3 with the player choices and actions affecting the story and enemy encounters.

Yup, Dino Crisis follows the RE formula more than DC2 (which is more of a spin-off the formula), but it does have some interesting changes to it. I mentioned the bigger focus (and much better) puzzles, and the dinosaurs behave quite differently than the monsters in RE (velociraptors are fast, often in groups, can leap ahead of you, can open doors and follow you, etc), but there's a few other small differences I appreciate (the bleeding mechanic, moving and shooting, and the colored plugs for supply caches & item boxes being what comes to my head first). It's not to far away from the RE formula, but I think some of the distinctions they make help it take on some more identity.

Dino Crisis 2 is far more detached from the formula, while also still be semi-similar however, and does seem like some inspiration for the later RE Mercenary modes, again.

Technically, that would be "BIO4." If you take into account that it started development as BIOHAZARD 3 in 1997 on the PlayStation under Masaaki Yamada with HUNK on a cruise ship. Then it transitioned to the PlayStation 2 under Hideki Kamiya with Leon as the son of Spencer. Then it was Tony Redgrave. Then Dante. Then it became BIOHAZARD 4 and eventually Devil May Cry.

Then it was restarted under Hiroshi Shibata but ran into technical difficulties due to the GameCube's limitations preventing them from even using enemies in most areas and the scene in the trailer with curtains blowing in the wind ended up using the console's full RAM capacity. Then it was scrapped again and restarted under Shinji Mikami leading to the released version.

That article really just summarizes things that every single game in the series went through. It's all spitballing. The storyboards and concept art don't mean much.

Is there any huge shocking things RE6 dropped? I know of a few early plot ideas that were scrapped, but not much more than that. I think it might be the only game in the main series that didn't go over some dramatic rehauling during development.

News Bot

Banned
I think it might be the only game in the main series that didn't go over some dramatic rehauling during development.

That's true. The only other title that didn't go through such changes was BIO3, but what that game did incur was having its production team doubled mid-development to increase its quality while still pushing it out for release on the due date. Not much changed in the interim though except the addition of Raccoon City's destruction.

Shenmue

Banned
Never played the RE series except for a small bit of the very first one on Playstation.

I've since procured RE1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Code Veronica, Revelations 1 and 2, and the two Chronicles games.

As a complete newbie to the series what order should I play for plot chronological order? Or should I be playing it in some other order?

Jawmuncher

Never played the RE series except for a small bit of the very first one on Playstation.

I've since procured RE1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Code Veronica, Revelations 1 and 2, and the two Chronicles games.

As a complete newbie to the series what order should I play for plot chronological order? Or should I be playing it in some other order?

Playing in release order is fine. So perhaps go through 1-4 & CVX, then both Chronicles, then 5, 6, and Rev 1 &2.

Neiteio

How are the Chronicles HD games on PS3? I kind of want to try them, but I'd be playing them with a DS3 and not a pointer. Are they any fun that way?

Jawmuncher

How are the Chronicles HD games on PS3? I kind of want to try them, but I'd be playing them with a DS3 and not a pointer. Are they any fun that way?

They're fine and perfectly playable that way. But having an actual PSMove set up is always going be more fun. However if they go on sale anytime soon, they're worth playing even without a PSmove.

Jawmuncher

Ah ok I'll do that then. So the chronological order of where each game takes place won't be too hard to figure out?

No since more or less they came out in order.
So this order would be fine as well if you want. (actual chronological- RE2 and RE3 kinda happen during before and after each other so just play in numerical order i say)
1, 2, 3,CVx, 4, 5, Rev 1, Rev 2, 6,

Chronicles I would still suggest after 4 though. Get a refresher on all the story and get some extra info from them.

Neiteio

They're fine and perfectly playable that way. But having an actual PSMove set up is always going be more fun. However if they go on sale anytime soon, they're worth playing even without a PSmove.

Played using a DS3 and enjoyed the second game a lot.

Didn't like the first one near as much.
Hmm, is there any version of Move that doesn't have a glowing light that will bounce off my glossy TV? That fucking drove me up the wall with the DS4 (currently have black tape over it).

Shenmue

Banned
So this order would be fine as well if you want. (actual chronological- RE2 and RE3 kinda happen during before and after each other so just play in numerical order i say)

Chronicles I would still suggest after 4 though. Get a refresher on all the story and get some extra info from them.

Ah I see. Thank you so much for the information!

Oh another quick question. Would you recommend the remake or playing the original RE1? Or both?

Jawmuncher

Ah I see. Thank you so much for the information!

Oh another quick question. Would you recommend the remake or playing the original RE1? Or both?

If you got the time both. But really you can do fine just playing RE0 and REmake and doing the rest of the series. Then if you're still curious checking out the original.

Shenmue

Banned
If you got the time both. But really you can do fine just playing RE0 and REmake and doing the rest of the series. Then if you're still curious checking out the original.

Great! Thanks for taking time out of your day to answer all my questions!

Gonna start REmake tonight! Excited!

Dusk Golem

Great! Thanks for taking time out of your day to answer all my questions!

Gonna start REmake tonight! Excited!

Feel free to post your impressions as you go through here, always fun to listen to people playing the games for the first times share their opinions and experiences.

This has mostly been answered, in terms of that specific version, it looks nicer and though designed with Playstation Move, can certainly be played with a controller.

I will also add that both Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles are worth checking out if you want more Resident Evil, while on-rail shooters both have more than their fair share of fan service and intrigue for a series fan.

Umbrella Chronicles is more of an arcade-shooter, it has fun destructible environments, sort of a 'short-hand' narrative for Resident Evil 0 and REmake (REmake's scenario even tells its own little alternate, but apparently canon, timeline of if Chris and Jill did RE1 together). Game has a lot of unlockables, fun bosses, and also shows some fun story scenarios; Wesker appears in this game more than any other game in the series. He basically narrates the game, so that's fun. Also get to play a lot of 'filling the gap scenarios' with him of what he was doing after he 'died' in RE1 and all that. There's also a scenario you get to see how Ada escaped Raccoon City after RE2 and so on. There is a RE3-themed scenario in Umbrella Chronicles, but it is the loosest of loose 'adaptions'... It literally is just its own thing. Yes, it stars Jill and Carlos, yes Nemesis is in it, and so is that worm boss from RE3... but outside of that, it bares no resemblance to RE3. The story is not the same, you don't visit locations from RE3 at all, none of the other characters appear, etc. On-top of all of this, you get your brand new canon two-part storyline of Chris and Jill's final mission to take out one of the last remaining strongholds of Umbrella as they crumbled down, along with part two that tells Wesker's perspective.

However, I much prefer Darkside Chronicles personally. This is more of a 'cinematic shooter' than the arcade-style of Umbrella Chronicles. Has some shaky cam that takes some getting used to, but has much higher production values, and much more focus on making it a narratively interesting, cinematic experience. We follow the story of how Leon and Krauser know each other in RE4, their mission they had together (icing to the cake is in this game they're both voiced by their RE4 voice actors), and Leon recollects the events of RE2 and tells of what happened in Code Veronica to Krauser to help explain what's going on. In-between these recollections and stories, you also play bits of the new campaign and story. Great bosses again, the new story and scenario are actually quite enjoyable in my opinion, the Resident Evil 2 reimagining is actually quite good (like the RE1 scenario in Umbrella Chronicles, it proposes the RE2 scenario if Leon and Claire were working together the whole time), and comes off incrediably faithfully but interestingly with its own twists and hybrids, a well-done reimagining (though it notably takes a more action-toned turn for its cinematics). Code Veronica is a less faithful reimagining and cuts off all of Chris' scenarios from CV, but is still a fun ride. Has a lot of new cinematics and reimaginings of cinematics from RE2 & CV, and is a fun ride.

I also will mention both Umbrella Chronicles & Darkside Chronicles have really, REALLY good soundtracks that add a lot. I'll let someone else tackle UC soundtrack if they like, but I need to post a few songs from Darkside Chronicles.

'Sleeping Beauty' Lullaby (this song serves purpose to the new scenario story, and has a few renditions, but I'll just post the basic rendition, though my favorite is the version that plays in the credits): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWPy5wLXgrU

Alexia's Phase 2 Boss Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnkwFAsTnvY

Suspended Doll: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf587zCG2ec

Game of Oblivion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIG9wI0fgTc

Steve's boss theme (not his Code Veronica boss theme, but a new theme that's pretty good): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZttfBgLPybI

RE2 Front Hall Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqpgKNYbido

T-B Tyrant Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msfSJXzD_Bw

Laboratory Escape Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BnVw0mOVzE

In Pursuit of Sherry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSMSO_CeMOg

Memories (Sleeping Beauty rendition): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6l9mt3tEZ8

New Scenario Final Boss Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5wD7G6bB8M

Dusk Golem

Will that include new ligthing effects?

There are some new lighting effects from what they showed (they completely redid some torches and the light they give off in a video they showed), but the project is more about redoing texture/models, and is most certainly worth checking out. Can see the progress site here (and there's a thread on GAF updated pretty regularly for it): http://www.re4hd.com/

Here's pics of the newest progress they posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqpgKNYbido[/url]

This is soooo good. The original version is one of my favorite and most memorable tracks in the whole series. Still gives me goosebumps. I also had no idea the Chronicles games had even been ported elsewhere.

There are some new lighting effects from what they showed (they completely redid some torches and the light they give off in a video they showed), but the project is more about redoing texture/models, and is most certainly worth checking out. Can see the progress site here (and there's a thread on GAF updated pretty regularly for it): http://www.re4hd.com/

Here's pics of the newest progress they posted:

It's baffling Capcom hasn't hired these guys yet, they're doing an even better job than Capcom themselves at remastering this.

Jawmuncher

This is soooo good. The original version is one of my favorite and most memorable tracks in the whole series. Still gives me goosebumps. I also had no idea the Chronicles games had even been ported elsewhere.

It's baffling Capcom hasn't hired these guys yet, they're doing an even better job than Capcom themselves at remastering this.

They're waiting for them to finish and then plan to buy it.
That's what I would do.

Neiteio

I hope RE7 jumps the shark and adds a friendly BOW with a recurring gag where it pees on the rug and the heroes go "Oh you" and the BOW shrugs at the screen and there's canned studio laughter.

Call him... Huntery the Hunter... or Lickery the Licker...

Actually, on a serious note, I was thinking about how a number of classic BOWs have been revisited in recent titles, like the Lickers in RE5, the Hunters in RER, and in RE6 you had new takes on Yawn and Neptune.

One BOW I'd like to see "updated" this way is Plant 42. Give me a sprawling, stadium-sized greenhouse crawling with man-eating plants, and at the epicenter is a skyscraper-sized Plant 42. I'd like to fight that thing with modern controls, sliding under its tentacles, etc.

Jawmuncher

I still don't mind the idea of a "good" BOW. So long as it was handled the right way. Sort of like the raptors in Jurassic World.

Nerrel

Was watching a Resident Evil 4 behind the scenes and I don't remember the lighting effects being that good?

X1073eP.gif

Did you originally play it on PS2? The GC/Wii versions had more lighting effects and better visuals in general (specifically, that lightning was absent on PS2).

Revelations goes before RE5. If you want to be really anal, it should be like this:
RE0, 1, 3 (first half), 2, 3 (second half), CV, 4, Rev1, 5, Rev2, 6.

-Summer 2016: RE6 Remaster (will triple dip)

giphy.gif

Jawmuncher

Did you originally play it on PS2? The GC/Wii versions had more lighting effects and better visuals in general (specifically, that lightning was absent on PS2).

Revelations goes before RE5. If you want to be really anal, it should be like this:

giphy.gif

Ah that's right. dunno why I forgot about rev 1 being before 5. Also wasn't sure on the exact way the bits of RE3 worked so thanks for that.

RSB

Banned
whatatreat.gif
I said that in the other thread, why are you quoting me in this thread? LOL.

Now that I think about it, I'll probably quadruple dip, as I'll more than likely get it on Xbone first and on PS4 later (or maybe the other way around, IDK)

strafer

giphy.gif

I played them all. No version had that kind of lighting.

Nerrel

I played them all. No version had that kind of lighting.

I've played on Dolphin for the past few years and the only thing that looks out of place is maybe the shadowing cast by the zombies. The environment definitely illuminates brightly during lightning, but maybe it's not as elaborate as this in the final game.

I said that in the other thread, why are you quoting me in this thread? LOL.

Got my tabs all combobulated.

Neiteio

Hey, is there by any chance a model viewer to check out the bosses and enemies in Darkside Chronicles (and/or Umbrella Chronicles)?

Neiteio

I downloaded Umbrella Chronicles HD and Darkside Chronicles HD on PS3. Played the first few levels of Darkside Chronicles.

First, to answer my own question: There is a model viewer! Sweet!

Some other impressions:

- South America is an AWESOME setting. Similar to how Leon's flashbacks recreate scenes from RE2, etc, it'd be cool if they did the opposite and made a mainline RE game out of the Operation Javier scenario.

- I'm playing with the DS3, and it's fun. The cursor moves quickly and smoothly.

- Strong enemies like Mr. X are difficult to stagger sometimes. Seems like they always get a few hits in.

Anyways, good stuff. Claire's voice is jarring when you're used to RER2, although I imagine it was the opposite for people used to her here.

Top Bottom