• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heavy Rain - A Neogaf Official Thread on the Gaming Forum

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Boogat said:
Really? 30seconds to a minute or two is ridiculous? You are loading an entire scenario...

load times are pretty bad... I grew up on the C64 so I deal with it...but yeah this is stuntman kind of loadtimes

Played some last night, me and the wife love it !

The game froze for about 30s and the sound sometimes cut out in the first chapter but it stopped in the later ones so hopefully I never see that again. Freaked me out thou :(

Guenther

Replicant said:
Japan, US, Europe, Aus, or UK? Also have you actually played it?
Europe (Special Edition). Haven´t played it yet, but the download is about 1 gig in size. And the theme is the one you can already download from the store.

bryehn

Boogat said:
Really? 30seconds to a minute or two is ridiculous? You are loading an entire scenario...

It's more like 3-4 minutes most of the time.

So the only thing that really bothers me so far is the super-robotic nature of the NPCs. In the police station for example they just bounce off each other's "personal space". Plus when the receptionist lady takes you to your office it's like she's folowing a line on the floor very slowly. It just looks unnatural and public spaces such as the police station seem to be TOO populated.

Totally into the story, but there are a ton of inconsistencies with the game itself that come off as sloppy and in some cases ruin the immersion they were going for.

Oh and I got screwed by the tank walking/camera perspective as I:
Was jonesing for Trypto and trying to get to the bathroom. I got stuck pointed away from the door and ended up failing the QTE, thus making Jayden snort the junk.

Still, awesome experience for the most part. I just wish they'd got an American team to do a few rewrites. You can tell this was written by French people then given a literal/direct translation.

OK I don't want to stay here too long and get anything even minorly spoiled, but I have to say that making the origami during the install process was a really cool touch.

Jim

bryehn said:
It's more like 3-4 minutes most of the time.

There's no way it's that long. I never once sat there thinking, wow this game has long loading times. It's about 30 secs to save, pop a trophy and load, and if it's not, there's something wrong.

Here's a vid showing one chapter loading into the next and popping up a trophy.

No spoilers in the comments.. yet, so beware:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuFvxUm4y2k
~30 seconds

another

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pWCclkcwdg
< 30 secs

Bishman said:
Heavy Rain auto-saves. My roommate wants to play the game on his own file, how do I do this for him?
Start a new game and pick one of the 3 Save slots that you aren't using?
That's what they are there for. Or make another user account if you want seperate trophies, etc.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hari Seldon said:
It takes 3-5 minutes I timed it. Those scenario's have hardly any objects compared to say ME2 and Uncharted which load far more much faster.

EDIT: But when I don't get a trophy it seems to load much faster. I think the trophy system was hanging things up.
There absolutely HAS to be something wrong in your case. Whether it is the trophy system or your console, I cannot say, but that is not normal.

I can confirm, without a doubt, that it NEVER takes anywhere NEAR 3-5 minutes. Some chapters (the smaller ones) load within 10 seconds or so while some of the larger ones take 30-40 seconds. In general, the loading isn't bad at all.

Anyone seeing lengthy load times is definitely encountering a problem of some sort. I suppose I could see this being an issue with trophies. I've noticed that, at a friends house, syncing trophies can take a very long time (while it's generally very fast for myself). Perhaps it is performing the sync operation in addition to actually awarding trophies? I dunno, may simply be a network problem. Try playing the game while disconnected from PSN and see if the problem persists. The load times should NOT be that long.

In the police station for example they just bounce off each other's "personal space".
Yeah, that was definitely annoying. It's amazing how the game can feel so realistic one moment and then the illusion is shattered the next. Shows just how close they got, really. I suspect the crowd issues are performance related. More complex crowd behavior is going to be more demanding. No game has really pulled this off, if you ask me (and that includes Assassin's Creed).

Cypher

After playing for 10 hours straight and reaching one of it's conclusions, I'd have to give hats off to Quantic Dream for crafting an engrossing and captivating experience! Heavy Rain's narrative keeps you glued, and the replay value is all there to see the variety of outcomes depending on the actions and choices you make! The minor flaws that it has (some dubbing sucks, some QTE's are too fast and leave little margin for error, camera/control issues) really doesn't detract from the enjoyment of the game.

"Interactive Drama" for sure, Heavy Rain is one of my top games for 2010 with no absolutes. The game is definitely not for everyone, as the pacing and style of play would put off a lot of people, but as an immersive story where QTE's fit in the context done right, well......look no further!

Boogat

Jim said:
There's no way it's that long. I never once sat there thinking, wow this game has long loading times. It's about 30 secs to save, pop a trophy and load, and if it's not, there's something wrong.

Here's a vid showing one chapter loading into the next and popping up a trophy.

No spoilers in the comments.. yet, so beware:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuFvxUm4y2k
~30 seconds

another

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pWCclkcwdg
< 30 secs
That's how mine is. I don't understand why some people are saying it takes 3-4 minutes to load everytime... Yeah some scenes (especially early in the game) can take a couple of minutes it seems, but never 3-4 for me. Most scenes take less than 45 seconds to load up so far.

Who knows. I'm also another person who has not had any major glitches or freezes/crashes yet.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Yup, my load times are also what Jim is experiencing. The only problem I had was a corrupt save that froze the system every time it loaded; I just loaded the previous chapter and everything was fine.

Jim

FYI, QD and SCEA know that people have having issues with the game and/or patch and are looking into it. I've spoken with a rep from each. That's all I know. They've seen the thread also.

Replicant

Boogat said:
That's how mine is. I don't understand why some people are saying it takes 3-4 minutes to load everytime... Yeah some scenes (especially early in the game) can take a couple of minutes it seems, but never 3-4 for me. Most scenes take less than 45 seconds to load up so far.

Who knows. I'm also another person who has not had any major glitches or freezes/crashes yet.

To help out SCE/QD figuring out the crash/bug issues, maybe we should try listing our PS3 type (60GB US/80GB Asia, etc) and Heavy Rain disc (US/UK/Japan, etc) and whether you had problem with the game or not.

bryehn

I just made a huge "bad" decision I wish I could redo after doing the rest of the scene "right". Awesome.

Load times are better this morning, could have been slow yesterday cause the PS3 was on all day.
RIP Nate, shouldn't have pulled that crucifix.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Loading times are only 1/2 a minute to a minute.

It's a minute when you ge a trophy, and a half minute when you don't earn one. It's very simple. Load a chapter when you don't have a trophy and compare them, it's much faster...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Jim said:
FYI, QD and SCEA know that people have having issues with the game and/or patch and are looking into it. I've spoken with a rep from each. That's all I know. They've seen the thread also.
Are they proud? :lol
bryehn said:
I just made a huge "bad" decision I wish I could redo after doing the rest of the scene "right". Awesome.

Load times are better this morning, could have been slow yesterday cause the PS3 was on all day.
RIP Nate, shouldn't have pulled that crucifix.
I'm not replaying any scenes...but I made a decision last night I instantly regretted. I've thought about how it's going to change things all morning. I wish I could take it back.

Prine

Banned
You guys have done it, pushed me overboard. I was not going to buy another game until i milked ME2 for all its worth.

A game like this cannot be ignored, heavily story driven, emotionally challenging. Just where i want gaming to head.

And I just bought a phone for a considerable amount of money, what are you doing to me GAF.

Gouken

Banned
this game is tempting, it feels like a throw back to the old point and click adventure games by sierra only in modern way.

Y2Kev said:
but I made a decision last night I instantly regretted. I've thought about how it's going to change things all morning. I wish I could take it back.
***Not Game Related***
How many time have I told you to wear a rubber Kev? There is no need in raw dogging hookers like that.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET THE EU COVER FROM?

Loving it so far, but there have been several technical flaws, all within the first hour or so of gameplay.

First: After getting dressed and making my way down the stairs for the first time with Ethan, one of his feet got hung up on a stair while his other foot continued the walking animation, so he eventually looked as if he was doing a split down the stairs and could walk no further. After some back-and-forth on the left stick and several R2 taps, I was able to get him dislodged from the stairs and carry on.

Then: At the mall, about to get on the escalator, Ethan walks toward it, then steps away, turns, walks toward it, steps away, turns, and so forth about 5 times before finally making it onto the escalator to begin the automated scene.

At home with Shaun: Shaun's lying on the couch watching TV, so I decide to sit next to him. Without any frames of animation he instantly changes from lying down to sitting up.

Sleazy place: after Lauren lights her cigarette and returns to the bed, I sat down on the bed next to her and changed the camera angle to face us, and her hand is clearly in the cigarette-holding position, but the cigarette is smoking itself about 2 feet above and behind her head in mid air.

Nothing game-breaking (yet), but it certainly breaks the sense of immersion.

Anyone else experiencing minor annoyances like these that slap you in the face and remind you it's just a video game?

Edit: browsed through this page briefly (trying to avoid any spoilers) and I see that many of you are complaining about minor glitches like these. What gives? QD needs a little QA.

NinjaKixx

Banned
Best game on the PS3? I am inclined to believe so. No game has ever "gripped" me like this one has. I played for 5 hours last night and all I can think about today at work is the charactors. I really wanna know who the damn killer is.

The only glitch I have encountered is one time after going outside in the rain then going back inside rain was still bouncing off ethans head and shoulders.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Bishman said:
Heavy Rain auto-saves. My roommate wants to play the game on his own file, how do I do this for him?
i think you should be fine if you choose a new story every time game boots up it asks with save do you want to load

Jim

Funky Functionality said:
Anyone else experiencing minor annoyances like these that slap you in the face and remind you it's just a video game?

Honestly, I might be pushing 20 hours now and I haven't had any bad issues like that. Just some audio issues after the patch.

As Replicant mentioned:

Replicant said:
To help out SCE/QD figuring out the crash/bug issues, maybe we should try listing our PS3 type (60GB US/80GB Asia, etc) and Heavy Rain disc (US/UK/Japan, etc) and whether you had problem with the game or not.

so for me:

60GB launch unit with aftermarket 320GB HDD
NTSC game
Had less issues before the patch
Issues: Some random pauses and audio drops

Jim said:
60GB launch unit with aftermarket 320GB HDD
NTSC game
Had less issues before the patch

For me:

60GB launch, original HDD
NTSC game
Never played before the 1.1/1.01 patch (can't remember the version number)... as soon as I fired it up the first time I was prompted to download the patch to continue and did so.

Carl

MidnightRider said:
***Not Game Related***
How many time have I told you to wear a rubber Kev? There is no need in raw dogging hookers like that.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET THE EU COVER FROM?

US Playstation Blog.

Man I'm really glad I haven't had any bugs so far, the only thing buggy that I noticed was in the police station. The big map on the wall has a cop half way through it (stuck) but literally nothing else.

If you guys are having problems just delete the patch and be done with it.

I have to say, some scenes look so damn realistic that I would literally stare at it for 5 minutes in awe. For example, when you enter Jade Raymonds office, the phone/desk looked absolutely flawless, I've never seen anything rendered that well. Such as small thing but it just shows the attention to detail these guys put in. I wish there was a way to look in first person to get a better look at some of the environments though.

Also, some of the cinematography is great. In Madisons first scene, when you walk behind the long wall near the windows, the camera angle matched with the lighting is just phenomenal.

(Slim 120gig. NTSC, 1.01)

Carl said:

hi.jpg

Thanks Bud!

There were 2 pretty bad glitches for me when I played last night. During an emotional moment between Ethan and his wife at the
police station
, there were people walking RIGHT THROUGH HER. It kinda ruined the vibe a bit. Also when I was walking up the stairs as Ethan in a house I tried to turn around to walk down and couldn't, so I just walled up instead and kept walking up into the air before I walked through the wall and couldn't come back.

I tried to keep that as spoiler-free as possible but if it's too much let me know.

ascully

Add another glitch to the list. Really minor spoiler nothing that will ruin the game.

You have to tie someones necktie at one point, I tied the tie and messed up the first time, i tried a second time and succeeded the guy said thanks and walked away with no tie at all.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I only saw one "glitch" (it's not a glitch, it's probably just the way it is) where two NPCs walked through each other. It's so....minor...

Top Bottom