• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I Think That iPhone SE Is The Best Way To Play GBA Games On The Go, And Here's Why

HUELEN10

I know a lot of you were excited at SNES developments on homebrew 3DS emulators since it worked so well... and in my eyes, this is as exciting, or moreso. So if you've been reading any my posts lately, I (like many of you) have fallen head-over-heels for Apple's new handset. It's small, fast, and beautiful (and MINE ❤️), but more than that, it's THE best way to play GBA games (possibly not just on the go, but period), and I want to explain why.

SPEED

The A9 in the SE is the same one used in the 6S. It's also driving a smaller display (at the same 326 PPI pixel density mind you) at a 1136 x 640 resolution. What does this mean?It's fast, and in some cases, actually scores higher benchmark results than the 6S making this not just Apple's newest phone, but its fastest!

DISPLAY

Let's get this out of the way: NO Nintendo-made GBA solution doesn't compromise. Original wasn't backlit, the SP washes things out, the SP2 has a shitty refresh rate, and the Micro is great, best screen on a GBA, but small. at 3 inches or less, we can admit it it: compared to today's displays, these suck. Now, the iPhone SE has an amazing 1136 x 640 IPS PANEL which looks absolutely amazing. Not only that, but it is 4 inches, so everything looks nice; big, but not too big.

Now it's these 2 combined that makes the magic happen. The iPhone 5, and 5S had similar screens... but they are nowhere near as powerful to run emulation well enough. Hell even on an iPhone 6 (something with better hardware than these listed), GBA games can hiccup. On the other hand, playing GBA games on a 6S is a better experience because the hardware has the power to run things well... but things don't LOOK well. With its 1334 × 750 display, the numbers just don't work with the scaling...

BUT THE SE NAILS IT!

It has the power to run the best GBA emulator on the platform (the latest GBA4iOS of course, provenance is still lacking in this department) with 0 frameskip and great sound (yes, you CAN play Rhythm Tengoku on this thing, I've tried) and it looks PERFECT.

and by perfect, I mean perfect, take a look for yourself.

AFoo3C3.png

GBA's resolution was 240×160, and the iPhone SE has a 1136 x 640 display. Multiply the GBA's res by 4 and you get 960 x 640; every GBA pixel is represented EXACTLY by 4x4 on the iPhone SE, backed by the power to actually run the emulator well (kinda like how 3DS is perfect for SNES because of how low res the screen is). Over the past few days I've been floored with the GBA performance of this phone. Now, GBA4iOS does have some nice haptic control options and on-screen buttons, but if you REALLY wanna play, you'll need some sort of MFi controller. The Nimbus is regarded as the best MFi pad out there, but unless yo get a clip or mod it, it will be great, but bulky. Fortunately, THIS exists (and it's under 10 bucks on Amazon)!
Consensus is it's great for games that only rely on the D-pad and not sticks... so it's pretty much perfect for making yourself a 4-inch IPS GBA.

So yeah, perfect resolution scaling GBA-wise plus the power to run the emulator means that the SE is a killer GBA machine, and when you compare it to other options... there's little comparison on the screen/performance front. If you have the choice, I think this is a legitimate option to consider.

DocSeuss

I like my DS. iPhones are terrible and I have no interest in buying one when I have the DS instead. Who cares how powerful it is? I only need to play GBA games, yo.

HorseFD

Can't the DS play GBA games?

The placement of the ABXY buttons on that iPhone controller would ruin it for me.

devonodev

iPhone SE Is The Best Way To Play GBA Games On The Go***

***on a device where you don't have buttons or have to buy a separate controller

Persona7

Banned
You can dump GBA carts you own yourself with adapters and with DS homebrew.

I think at that point I would rather just play my GBA games on my DS rather than going through the process of modding my DS, purchasing a bunch of extra stuff and having to transfer stuff from the cart to my computer and then to my phone. What setup do you personally use?

I think the GBA must be the most fought over console on how you should play it. I swear nobody agrees on anything. I'd still probably say a hacked 3DS is the way to go now simply because of it being native but then again I've always been super weary of any smartphone emus.

Did the OP do anything for everybody to immediately attempt to accuse him of piracy?
No, and it's also very silly considering Nintendo sure as hell ain't making any money from retail cartridge sales lol. If you buy it on the eShop if it's available or already own a copy then I don't see how it hurts anyone.

Huelen stanning for an Apple product? I never thought I'd see the day!

But seriously I don't see how jailbreaking and acquiring illegal roms is more convenient than using my physical GBA and large collection of physical games and playing them with physical buttons.

So the GBA micro is the best way to play GBA games? I have the GBA SP, about 12 years old, I wonder if the battery is still ok...

Back to the micro, what's the battery life like on it?

HUELEN10

Huelen stanning for an Apple product? I never thought I'd see the day!

But seriously I don't see how jailbreaking and acquiring illegal roms is more convenient than using my physical GBA and large collection of physical games and playing them with physical buttons.
I never once used the word jailbreak. You can legitimately compile and sideload the emulator through Xcode yourself and dump your own roms. Next time, read the OP at least.

ZeroX03

Banned
I like my DSi. iPhones are terrible and I have no interest in buying one when I have the DSi instead.

While I'd rather play on a DS too, playing on the iPhone SE will give you a bigger and sharper (pixels at a perfect 4x) image. I haven't seen an SE in person, but I imagine it would look pretty damn good.

Did the OP do anything for everybody to immediately attempt to accuse him of piracy?

I'm all for trolling Huelen, but it's gross. These threads always get derailed by people crying piracy with no proof.

shield-store-portable-gallery.jpg

Nvidia Shield Portable probably works much better with something like RetroArch plus can be closed like a DS.

Amazing device. Can't wait for a revision. Would require both horizontal and vertical letterboxing for nice upscaling though.

This doesn't require jailbreaking, and you can rip your own carts.

Outside of an actual GBA or Nintendo DS, I like GPSP on the PSP or Vita. It has buttons and low latency, which is very important for Rhythm Tengoku. Plus, on a Vita, you have that beautiful OLED.

I wouldn't want to play an emulated game on an iOS device or an Android device. I've tried, but I really don't like the overall experience. That said, I will give Android and iOS devices props on working great with WarioWare: Twisted's gyroscope and rumble. Though it isn't quite like the real deal, it's much better than using the d-pad.

Persona7

Banned
So the GBA micro is the best way to play GBA games? I have the GBA SP, about 12 years old, I wonder if the battery is still ok...

It's not too great. I think they used a cheaper battery.

You have to sideload the emulator too? jeez this is a long and inconvenient process compared to just playing the game on my DS.

rardk64

My SP still works, but the switch on it is kinda finicky and has resulted in a bunch of accidental resets. I wonder if it's worth hunting down a GB Micro...

You can dump GBA carts you own yourself with adapters and with DS home-brew.

But good android handsets with a 640p IPS panel that can run the software well are kinda hard to find.

The 640p resolution is pure traditional 16:9, no? So it should be easy to replicate that on a better screen like a 1080p OLED

The battery wasn't cheap, just incredibly small

I never once used the word jailbreak. You can legitimately compile and sideload the emulator through Xcode yourself and dump your own roms. Next time, read the OP at least.

And how many people are going to take the time to download a 4 GB copy of XCode just to sideload an emulator? Or spend $100 or whatever on a dumper.

HUELEN10

shield-store-portable-gallery.jpg

Nvidia Shield Portable probably works much better with something like RetroArch plus can be closed like a DS.
720P resolution though ensures it won't look perfect unless you use a border to pad it though. :( Also, nowhere near as portable.
How do you get the emulator from the App Store?
You don't.
Aye, that's the Micro's biggest weakness.

Phu

Banned
I prefer to use my 17" laptop to play GBA games on the go. That way people sitting 4 rows away from me on a plane can share hot tips on how to raise charisma in The Urbz.

Persona7

Banned
Does anyone know if there is a device like the retrode but for GBA games? I know they were working on a retrode plugin for game boy games but I don't know if it actually came out.

HUELEN10

If you did it on a 1080p there would be letterboxing both horizontally and vertically because it doesn't divide evenly.
aka Window boxing. And all that matters it eh vertical, not the horizontal. GBA aspect is 3:2, so on a 16:9 aspect screen, you will have pillar boxing correction; no biggie.

But yeah, you would need a 640p, or 800p, display, or something perfect song those lines, to make it look perfect.

Problem is, finding an EXCELLENT 640p/800p panel at a good size tied to beefy enough hardware with beefy battery life proves quite difficult.

iPhone SE solves this.

so jailbreaking required
stupid bulky accessory required
need to dump my gba cartridges
drains battery of my phone that already has bad battery

yeah no.. i'm giving this a pass.

Top Bottom