• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I Think That iPhone SE Is The Best Way To Play GBA Games On The Go, And Here's Why

ethomaz

Banned
Has GBA4iOS found a way to run on an updated, un-jaibroken iphone yet?
Serious question.
Yes... you need a Mac to upload the app via XCODE.

BTW there is no jailbreak for iPhone SE yet.

"Speed" and "display" aren't the only two factors here. You're talking about buying a $400 phone, and presumably a Mac at some cost to run Xcode to compile the emulator, as well as a dumper (because there's no DS in the picture?), when you could get a used DS lite, a DS flashcart, and a GBA flashcart for less than $100, and be good to go. Or get a K101.

Also, not sure how 1440p or whatever resolution is a factor. We're dealing with a 240x160 resolution here. You're looking at pixels in either case, and something close to scanlines on original hardware.

Calm down with the Apple stanning. Really.
You won't buy anything to gaming...

You will make your phone a GBA machine... no cost except the price paid on games is required.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Did the OP do anything for everybody to immediately attempt to accuse him of piracy?

No, but there are people here that embark on witch hunts at anything that can remotely be looked at as someone using ROMs. I just don't know where the world would be without such paragons of virtue walking among us.

Yes... you need a Mac to upload the app via XCODE.

BTW there is no jailbreak for iPhone SE yet.

You won't buy anything to gaming...

You will make your phone a GBA machine... no cost except the price paid on games is required.
If the OP is going to make a statement that this is the best way to play GBA games on the go, then this is a general assumption that should apply to people who don't necessarily have this specific size of iPhone, or doesn't dabble in phone game controllers, or doesn't have x Mac variation, or a dumper.

I'm saying that the buyin is less if you consider the option of a DS, and you get the benefit of running on real hardware, without having to run down your phone battery (which is also important).

DeVeAn

It's really not the best way since I can't download the emulator from the App Store. Best way now is on Wii U.

Chastten

Banned
Maybe if there was an 'expansion' with the GBA button layout instead of SNES, the batterylife of the iPhone was greatly improved and there would be some kind of official way to get those games so I don't have to mess with emulators and roms. Right now it's little more than a gimmick.

Codiox

So you talking about roms and emulator and that stuff. Than I have to disappoint you.

The Vita is the best emulator machine period.

OLED AND physical buttons. Can't get any better.

So you talking about roms and emulator and that stuff. Than I have to disappoint you.

New 3DS is better. Better specs, clamshell design, and the shittier screen actually works in favor of the older consoles LOL

ZeroX03

Banned

You were already beaten on the first page by a machine that's objectively better in multiple ways (res, power, software).

shield-store-portable-gallery.jpg

Nvidia Shield Portable probably works much better with something like RetroArch plus can be closed like a DS.

There's no "perfect" emulation machine, personal preferences always pop up. In the case of this thread, the OP prefers pixel perfect upscaling and display quality hence the SE.

Redrop

Sweet! I'll probably be upgrading to an SE at some point soon since I prefer the smaller Apple phone designs (and my 4S is ancient at this point). I've been itching to play Fire Emblem 7 as it's one of the few GBA games I can think of that wouldn't be problematic with a touch screen. Very happy to hear that everything runs so well.

Thanks OP!

iPhone SE Is The Best Way To Play GBA Games On The Go***

***on a device where you don't have buttons or have to buy a separate controller
Hah. This. Those screens may look nice, but even when you have one of those MFi controllers, the AB button placement isn't the same as on any of the GBA models, so it's not as comfortable to play.,

HUELEN10

Hah. This. Those screens may look nice, but even when you have one of those MFi controllers, the AB button placement isn't the same as on any of the GBA models, so it's not as comfortable to play.,
GBA4iOS lets you remap buttons on your MFi controller to your liking.

reKon

Banned
I'm pretty sure that there are at least 20+ android devices that's better the iPhone SE for this kind of stuff, but okay

wanders

You guys have no idea what you're talking about if you're recommending an Xperia with dated hardware and poor screen that can't run all GBA games well, a PSP GO with dated hardware that can't run all GBA games well, or an Nvidia Shield that isn't portable and has an annoying fan in the back.

I've owned all three and they never felt like they accomplished the best way to play GBA games on the go. Though the Shield came close.

The SE seems like a good contender with that Logitech controller.

Good work Huelen

HUELEN10

omg, got it working, this is amazing

playing Pokemon Yellow atm.
and yes, I bought it on 3DS thank you

You guys have no idea what you're talking about if you're recommending an Xperia with dated hardware and poor screen that can't run all GBA games well, a PSP GO with dated hardware that can't run all GBA games well, or an Nvidia Shield that isn't portable and has an annoying fan in the back.

I've owned all three and they never felt like they accomplished the best way to play GBA games on the go. Though the Shield came close.

The SE seems like a good contender with that Logitech controller.

Good work Huelen

:D Enjoy the experience.

Jegus, the vitriol against HUELEN of all people. The tag is there for a reason, right?

Anyway, what it ultimately comes down to for me is whether or not these things can run Mother 3 with the proper timing for the musical notes. That kills me in normal emulation, lol.

ss_lemonade

I'm fine with my Shield Portable, though I do wish Nvidia released a follow up with updated hardware and a less bulky design

Cheerilee

Ars Technica - How the demonization of emulation devalues gaming’s heritage

For years now, "emulation" has been a dirty word in the video game industry, regarded by many companies as nothing more than an illegal, piracy-fueling technology that represents an existential threat to the gaming business.

Those rulings don't seem to ease the fears of the game industry, though. When Cifaldi pitches the idea of using emulation to republish classic NES games through his company, Digital Eclipse, he says the rights holders usually don't want to risk Nintendo's legal wrath, despite case law being on their side. For Mega Man Legacy Collection, Capcom only let Digital Eclipse move forward after they developed an elaborate workaround that authentically recreated NES games without directly emulating the NES hardware.

This is all despite the fact that Nintendo itself has legitimized the use of emulation for re-releasing games through its own Virtual Console on the Wii, Wii U, and 3DS. In fact, the ROM file for Super Mario Bros. currently distributed on the Virtual Console sports an iNES file header, a format that was first developed for an emulation project in the mid-'90s. By far the most likely reason that header is in an official Nintendo product, Cifaldi says, is that the company downloaded a copy of its own game from the Internet. "Nintendo is pirating its own ROMS and selling them to you!" he said.

Awakened

GBA's resolution was 240×160, and the iPhone SE has a 1136 x 640 display. Multiply the GBA's res by 4 and you get 960 x 640; every GBA pixel is represented EXACTLY by 4x4 on the iPhone SE, backed by the power to actually run the emulator well (kinda like how 3DS is perfect for SNES because of how low res the screen is).
Perfect integer scaling without horizontal borders on displays with the right native resolution is great. But, you can scale to non-integer resolutions with an almost unnoticeable blur using a shader available in RetroArch called pixellate. It basically evens out pixels that would appear rectangular using nearest scaling, but without that very apparent blur you get from something like bilinear filtering. Here's a screenshot comparison between nearest and pixellate scaling to 1080p: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/168023

You can see it helps a ton with the evenness of the lines in the health bar. Unfortunately when I tried getting this shader to work in the Android version of RetroArch on a Nexus 7 2013 I got a black screen. Maybe it works on other devices though. There is also a recently added shader called smoothstep which does the same thing, but is a bit blurrier than pixellate. That's a decent alternative if pixellate doesn't work on Android at all.

GamerJM

Banned
I'll admit that I haven't tried this, but I will say that I find the Micro more comfortable than an iPhone with one of those controller grip things, as someone with relatively small hands. I also like how you can basically play RPGs one-handed with the Micro.

Rich!

Let me just clear something up here for those immediately assuming op, as crazy as he is, may be pirating:

If you own a DS Lite, you can dump your GBA games. Either via WiFi, or via an R4 card, of which are a matter of pennies to buy at this point. The GBA is literally the easiest console available to get legitimate rips from.

As a side note, other consoles have ways to rip games that are easily attainable. You can rip GameBoy games with a transfer Pak and some homebrew on either your N64 or PC. N64 games can be ripped with an Action Replay. 3DS and DS games can be ripped by any 3DS on any firmware with access to the Internet and/or a copy of Zelda.

I could go on, but you get the point.

Speaking on topic though, the best way to play GBA games is on a homebrewed 3DS via VC injection. You are playing on native hardware (yes, the 3DS, being a DS at its core is also technically a GBA and plays all games flawlessly) Nothing beats that. Unless you have a N3DS, and then you have the option of full speed emulation with all the extra features via retroarch gpsp.

GamerJM

Banned
The GBA is literally the easiest console available to get legitimate rips from.

I'd argue that this is the Gamecube or the Wii since the homebrew programs required to do so are free, whereas DS flashcarts actually cost money.

I'd argue that this is the Gamecube or the Wii since the homebrew programs required to do so are free, whereas DS flashcarts actually cost money.
You need a specific Wii game though, or an outdated firmware. An R4 is probably cheaper.

(Again though, the Playstation beats both)

Rich!

The Playstation 1 and 2 would like to have a word...

That goes without saying!

But hacking a Wii takes the effort of getting homebrew set up and then having a suitable hard drive to rip to. GameCube requires a broadband adapter (hope you have some spare cash) or a homebrew enabling device.

The GBA requires a DS lite flashcart that is less than ten quid and a simple homebrew app. That's it.

packy34

I never once used the word jailbreak. You can legitimately compile and sideload the emulator through Xcode yourself and dump your own roms. Next time, read the OP at least.

Jailbreaking is legal anyway. Nothing "illegitimate" about it.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
That's the norm here when anyone talks about emulation.

It's a bit annoying.

The problem, that we seem to forget when we debate publicly/vote considering the results, is that in countries like UK and the US some or all the steps we use the actually emulate some content is actually running afoul of some regulation somewhere. In the UK it is not even legal to rip your own CD to your computer anylonger until new legislation comes to cover the void left by another expired law.

This is the most maddening bit, we are outraged by something, but then we go back to equating the personal notion of what it should be with an idea of what it actually is and then nothing seems to change law wise at all... :/.

Rich!

It's really tiring. I hate how emulation threads turn into witch hunts.

It's a shame. Emulation and homebrew threads always get sidetracked almost immediately. I've not come across any that don't have driveby shitposts - and they are seemingly never addressed.

I would argue emulation threads are the only place on gaf where more action by moderators is needed, as it's impossible for those who are actually interested in the topics to discuss without having to deal with the usual crap.

Top Bottom