• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I Think That iPhone SE Is The Best Way To Play GBA Games On The Go, And Here's Why

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
That's the norm here when anyone talks about emulation.

It's a bit annoying.

That's because most people know emulation as piracy...or at least a grey area of it. If you can't actually buy it from the developers on a phone, it basically seems illegal. If you cannot due it in a simple method, but have to do a tiresome work-a-round, than most people will see it as piracy, and therefor illegal. It is less about people actually condemning them for something being illegal and more so anger at the developer for not making it possible to play it on a device that seems like it would be perfect for it.

Strange that this specific thread popped up.

Just a couple hours ago a friend of mine said he was taking his Gear VR and a bluetooth controller on a plane trip to play some Castlevania on his own private theater-sized screen.

To me that kinda sounds like the best way to play GBA games on the go.

Megatron

I'm all for trolling Huelen, but it's gross. These threads always get derailed by people crying piracy with no proof.

Unless he built himself an adapter that plays physical GBA carts, he is pirating. I know everyone wants so badly to believe the myth that it's ok to run emulators if you own a physical copy of the game, but it's simply not supported by law. (In the us anyway)

I know the people asking about this may have an ulterior motive, but dumping GBA games is super easy with a Nintendo DS and an R4 or some other super common flash cart. You run a piece of homebrew and then just start dumping to the MicroSD card in the R4. You can even hot swap GBA games and dump all your games without reloading the program.

Eei2vlY.jpg

Rudolph's GBA Backup Tool is pretty great.

Thing is, some people prefer dedicated portable gaming consoles to using a phone. So why spend $399 on an iPhone SE instead of getting a Nvidia Shield Portable, PSPGo, GBA SP, or just play it on the original hardware?

Tizoc

i knew this was a huelen10 thread before i entered it hehe
Eh ill consider one dor my nephew since i dont game on my phone

Danneee

So, the whole point of the thread is that there are better screens on a modern phone than on a 15 year old console?
And one priced at $400 at that?

What about battery life?

Syril

Thing is, some people prefer dedicated portable gaming consoles to using a phone. So why spend $399 on an iPhone SE instead of getting a Nvidia Shield Portable, PSPGo, GBA SP, or just play it on the original hardware?
If you already have the phone for any other purpose it's kind of a sunk cost.

xzeldax3

Phones are good for turn based games, but something like Mario Kart? I would not want to use touch buttons or have to carry around a control pad add-on.

ZeroX03

Banned
How about 1440p? Would that be worse?

It should look great.

I was going to say Huelen fucked up with the title - other than the capitalization - but they used the "I think" qualifier. It's one of the best screens for GBA games on the go, rather than being the best emulating option overall. Obviously controls, device size and personal preference accounts for a lot of this. But as far as pure panels go, most emulation portables and phones don't match the GBA as nicely except for the SE and 1440p phones.

If you already have the phone for any other purpose it's kind of a sunk cost.
True.
In the case of this thread, though, there's no point in getting the SE if you already have a pretty high end smartphone, especially if it has expandable storage. The only reason to get it would be for the smaller size.

HUELEN10

It should look great.

I was going to say Huelen fucked up with the title - other than the capitalization - but they used the "I think" qualifier. It's one of the best screens for GBA games on the go, rather than being the best emulating option overall. Obviously controls, device size and personal preference accounts for a lot of this. But as far as pure panels go, most emulation portables and phones don't match the GBA as nicely except for the SE and 1440p phones.
Right. Now for me, besides pixel-perfectness, IPS panel quality, and all that jazz, size is also important. I think that a 4-inch IPS panel displaying a 3.5 inch GBA game is perfect, because that's just .6 inches bigger in diagonal than the GBA, so you gain size, while not greatly losing out on pixel density.

Anything larger, but smaller than TV, to me at least, looks... odd.

Are people really making a fuzz out of downloading ROM when you physically own the cart? Sure it's piracy but it doesn't get much smaller in scale.

Nintendo would see zero money if you actually buy the tools to rip the ROM yourself.

Persona7

Banned
uhhh...apparently the xcode program to jailbreak the emulators to your phone requires a Mac computer as well. Honestly, this is probably one of the worst, most involved and most expensive way to play GBA games.

Tiktaalik

I didn't realize at all that people were unhappy with the SP and SP2 until this thread. They're fantastic systems IMO.

HUELEN10

Does this work in Windows?
No.
I didn't realize at all that people were unhappy with the SP and SP2 until this thread. They're fantastic systems IMO.
The SP2 is the best all-around solution for the GB library, but as great as it is, the screen's refresh rate could be a lot better...
uhhh...apparently xcode to jailbreak the emulators to your phone requires a Mac computer as well.
Xcode requires OS X, but there are other ways to sideload.

You could always Jailbreak. In many nations, it is completely legal. of course, I don't recommended it, and it truly is necessary, but if you insist, yes you could Jailbreak to sideload. The point of what makes this so great though is that you don't NEED a jailbreak at all.

The SP2 is the best all-around solution for the GB library, but as great as it is, the screen's refresh rate could be a lot better...

Xcode requires OS X, but there are other ways to sideload.

You could always Jailbreak. In many nations, it is completely legal.

So you said "who said anything about jailbreaking" but it pretty much needs a jailbreak anyway

I don't care about it being legal, I care about it being a much more difficult process than your OP claims. Why would this be a better option than a cheap PSP, PSPGo, Gameboy Micro, or hacked 3DS or New 3DS?

Kindekuma

Banned
I don't care about it being legal, I care about it being a much more difficult process than your OP claims. Why would this be a better option than a cheap PSP, PSPGo, Gameboy Micro, or hacked 3DS or New 3DS?

Don't forget the snapped in half DS/DS Lite! Still a very good and valid way to play.

Syriel

How are you paying for the GBA games?

HUELEN10
Dump Advocate
(Today, 08:36 PM)

image.php

One of those rare instances where the tag makes perfect sense. :)

Personally, the SP with the revised backlight is god tier for GBA gaming for me. The Micro is awesome, but you can't beat the backlit goodness of the SP with the better backlight.

diaspora

So for this to work you need an iPhone(obviously) AND a Mac? If not, then just jailbreak?

Nah. Aside from actual dedicated portables, Android would be the way to go. Its openness is a boon.

Possibly eBay or Craigslist.
Especially if you've got one with pixel-perfect 1440p AMOLED goodness.

ethomaz

Banned
Huelen stanning for an Apple product? I never thought I'd see the day!

But seriously I don't see how jailbreaking and acquiring illegal roms is more convenient than using my physical GBA and large collection of physical games and playing them with physical buttons.
You don't need any of these ways to play legally GBA games on iPhone.

Gitaroo

I see your xperia and raise you:
hqdefault.jpg

yup, Astro boy was amazing on it, and the fact that you can use the analog for the shumps sections makes it the perfect device for the game. Bilinear filter and the PSP GO native rest and screen size makes all GBA games looks very nice.

"Speed" and "display" aren't the only two factors here. You're talking about buying a $400 phone, and presumably a Mac at some cost to run Xcode to compile the emulator, as well as a dumper (because there's no DS in the picture?), when you could get a used DS lite, a DS flashcart, and a GBA flashcart for less than $100, and be good to go. Or get a K101.

Also, not sure how 1440p or whatever resolution is a factor. We're dealing with a 240x160 resolution here. You're looking at pixels in either case, and something close to scanlines on original hardware.

Calm down with the Apple stanning. Really.

HUELEN10

Has GBA4iOS found a way to run on an updated, un-jaibroken iphone yet?
Serious question.

There is no Jailbreak on the SE. So yes, you can most definitely run it on jailbroken. I even made a vid a few days ago about it.

OT: Gotta find a vid upload service that can do the footage justice. It looks like shit on my YouTube, I'll tell you that much. Any suggestions?

Top Bottom