• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can now play Oculus-exclusive Games on a Vive (Alpha)

JackEtc

Tell me when I can play them on my cardboard 😩

Well, actually, I did just see an article about some streaming thing that lets you do just that...

Krejlooc

Banned
For a new page - Technolust works.

The LT Revive patch is basically a general Unity patch. If you go to patch a game and don't see the binary folders, it's likely a unity game. Apply the patch to that game as if it were luckey's tale, then launch that game's executable and it'll work.

Conversely, if it's a UE4 game, use the revive injector patch, which involves dragging the executable into the revive injector (or setting it as a launch option).

Likely many games work right now. I've only tried 3 - Luckey's Tale, Dreamdeck, and Technolust. Someone needs to make a topic on this, this is really big. Just last week, this was only a proof of concept for Luckey's Tale only.

No significant performance issues? It doesn't sound like there are.

This is exciting!

It's still early. Asynchronous Time Warp isn't available in this version, but the dude talking on reddit makes it sound like it could be coming. This means Luckey's Tale judders in the second half of the first level when the camera is pulled back too far, but runs fine elsewhere (where it can presumably hit the required framerate).

This means Luckey's Tale judders in the second half of the first level when the camera is pulled back too far, but runs fine elsewhere (where it can presumably hit the required framerate).

Presumably this would depend on your PC's capabilities, correct?

Krejlooc

Banned

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
It'll be interesting to see how Oculus reacts to this.

The free games on their store don't currently require owning a Rift.

Wallach

Cool. Kinda sucks for Oculus.

Now let me play vive games on oculus.

To be honest, I don't think Oculus minds this stuff at all. It basically means they can get Vive users to download Oculus software and buy from their store without having to deal with whatever is in the way of solving official Vive support being added.

The point of the titles being exclusive isn't necessarily to require someone to buy their HMD - which isn't where their main profits or priorities necessarily are - it's that it requires someone to install their software.

They may not leave Lucky's Tale as "free" by default in the app though, as that is probably more of an assumption that a Rift is currently required to use it since it seems more like a bonus pack-in title with the hardware. Playful probably is less thrilled with this development than Oculus unless their terms already covered hardware outside Rift sales.

To be honest, I don't think Oculus minds this stuff at all. It basically means they can get Vive users to download Oculus software and buy from their store without having to deal with whatever is in the way of solving official Vive support being added.

I am not quite sure about that. Last month Palmer implied that only Valve would win if Vive users could access Oculus Home.

I could actually either see that Oculus Home will support the Vive naturally or that SDK 1.4 will fix the workaround.

Wollan

Luckey's Tale is wonderful and the surprise of the year (so far) for me. I have sort of been dismissing it a bit over the last year but the Virtual Reality aspect and platforming is both very good. I hear it's short but can't really complain as it's free currently.

That and Chronos (my review) I would both recommend.

Great to hear, I hope exclusivity gets cracked for all PC VR headsets, including Vive.

I know some of them have exclusive features like Vive's room tracking, but once it becomes common with other ones I hope nothing is REQUIRED to use one hardware or another.

PC VR headsets should just be like monitors, not consoles IMO. I don't care if something is store exclusive, as long as any compatible hardware let's it work.

yatesl

I don't own either headset yet (cancelled my Oculus order a few weeks before 'launch' for now), but this is only a good thing, and Palmer should be supporting this.

As it stands there can't be much profit on the headset itself, so as long as the games can only be bought on the Oculus store then everyone's a winner.

Does Microsoft even know VR exists?

"Oh, you mean AR?"

Krejlooc

Banned
Blair renaud, author of technolust, is thrilled about this. Said he was dreading having to make a steamvr specific fork of his project.

This is great shit.

Wallach

I am not quite sure about that. Last month Palmer implied that only Valve would win if Vive users could access Oculus Home.

I could actually either see that Oculus Home will support the Vive naturally or that SDK 1.4 will fix the workaround.

The way I read it was that he was implying the terms that were standing in the way of whatever is happening there were such that there was only one winner (i.e Valve), so progress hadn't really happened on that front. With stuff like this, there really are no terms; just Vive users downloading and buying directly from Oculus without Valve or Steam in the picture at all.

Blair renaud, author of technolust, is thrilled about this. Said he was dreading having to make a steamvr specific fork of his project.

This is great shit.

I think the devs themselves would want their games to be available for all headsets. I still dont quite understand why Oculus wouldnt want that. I mean if they have store-exclusive games (like Origin), I dont see a problem with that.

artsi

This is great shit.

I hope devs will still support Vive natively, I don't want to rely on wrappers even if it's a nice workaround for exclusives.

But yeah, this is awesome.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

This is great shit.

He still obviously should. Many (most?) vive owners won't do stuff like this

So is there a reset orientation like on dk1/2 titles or is it per title basis? Lucky's Tale was back button on 360 controller, Technolust doesn't seem to have one unless it's on kb, if so anyone know what key? I'm a bloody ghost a couple feet off the ground rn :p

Happy I can play it all though but dealing with weird input problems with the gamepad, can barely move forwards and unless there's an alternate method for movement it seems you can only move forward one little jump at a time and I'm having to spam my thumbstick cause it doesn't recognize my input half the time. FYI I ran into this issue on a prior build on the dk2 just before release too so don't think it's an issue exclusive to Vive. Lucky's Tale works a treat on all counts.

Wallach

So is there a reset orientation like on dk1/2 titles or is it per title basis? Lucky's Tale was back button on 360 controller, Technolust doesn't seem to have one unless it's on kb, if so anyone know what key? I'm a bloody ghost a couple feet off the ground rn :p

Happy I can play it all though but dealing with weird input problems with the gamepad, can barely move forwards and unless there's an alternate method for movement it seems you can only move forward one little jump at a time and I'm having to spam my thumbstick cause it doesn't recognize my input half the time. FYI I ran into this issue on a prior build on the dk2 just before release too so don't think it's an issue exclusive to Vive. Lucky's Tale works a treat on all counts.

For Technolust, hit B to turn off Cloudstep, which is where you move forward in instant steps rather than smooth acceleration. Currently you can't turn smoothly in Technolust, but supposedly will be added in a future update (it's a one man project and he was very concerned about simsickness concerns initially).

jax

Banned
Good. Exclusivity is horrible for the future of the medium.

Will definitely check this out when I get my Vive in May.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Neither hack works for me.

I followed the instructions on GitHub, enabled outside sources, rebooted twice. On Lucky's Tale it says "Headset not detected" and in Dreamdeck it pops an error after dragging the exe into the ReviveInjector that says "This requires an oculus head set"

Seems like a lot of people on Reddit are having the same problem.

I'm running on Win7 with a Pre, so it might be either of those things.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Great to hear, I hope exclusivity gets cracked for all PC VR headsets, including Vive.

I know some of them have exclusive features like Vive's room tracking, but once it becomes common with other ones I hope nothing is REQUIRED to use one hardware or another.

PC VR headsets should just be like monitors, not consoles IMO. I don't care if something is store exclusive, as long as any compatible hardware let's it work.

SteamVR exclusivity doesn't really exist. While some games may support the Vive alone because, say, the only input method is the Vive's controllers, the SteamVR API itself supports all three Rift models in addition to the Vive. Multi-device support under the one roof is the entire point of SteamVR -- but this requires manufacturers of VR devices to play along. There may one day be a VR device that SteamVR doesn't support, but Valve wouldn't be at fault. SteamVR is an extension of the Steam platform and Valve's goal with the service from the off has been to make as much content available to as many people as possible.

MUnited83

For you.

Sure, you can do that right now. Nobody was stopping you :p

Vive exclusives dont exist. The entire point of SteamVR/OpenVR is supporting as many headsets as possible.

Krejlooc

Banned
SteamVR exclusivity doesn't really exist. While some games may support the Vive alone because, say, the only input method is the Vive's controllers, the SteamVR API itself supports all three Rift models in addition to the Vive. Multi-device support is the entire point of SteamVR -- but this requires manufacturers of VR devices to play along. There may one day be a VR device that SteamVR doesn't support, but Valve wouldn't be at fault. SteamVR is an extension of the Steam platform and Valve's goal with the service from the off has been to make as much content available to as many people as possible.

In fact, SteamVR supports all 3 major runtimes and input devices right now - Oculus runtime and oculus touch, OpenVR and Vive controllers, and OSVR and HDK input devices (sixense).

x3sphere

Going to try this, neat. By the way, doesn't seem like you actually need a Rift to get Lucky's Tale free, I just created an account and it automatically showed up as purchased.

Krejlooc

Banned
Does this allow us to supersample on Vive, because Oculus sdk supports that?

Perhaps, I'm not sure. Just because Oculus SDK supports something doesn't mean this injection driver supports it at the moment. Like asynchronous timewarp is entirely disabled right now.

Nzyme32

You can already. The only "restriction" is that no other VR positional controller is available outside of Vive right now, till Touch arrives.

Valve have already confirmed Oculus Touch will be compatible with SteamVR and roomscale once they get them so they can be properly integrated.

The great thing about SteamVR is OpenVR, which can be used with any store, with / without Steam. OpenVR compliant games (ie all the SteamVR games) can support other headsets and controllers without any game changes needed from devs. Once they get Touch, it can be implemented into OpenVR and anyone with those can play the games

You can already. The only "restriction" is that no other VR positional controller is available outside of Vive right now, till Touch arrives.

Valve have already confirmed Oculus Touch will be compatible with SteamVR and roomscale once they get them so they can be properly integrated.

The great thing about SteamVR is OpenVR, which can be used with any store, with / without Steam. OpenVR compliant games (ie all the SteamVR games) can support other headsets and controllers without any game changes needed from devs. Once they get Touch, it can be implemented into OpenVR and anyone with those can play the games

Wouldn't stem work? Thought I saw krej make mention of his shipping recently. Now whether those people have any plans to keep making them is another matter.

Krejlooc

Banned
It took longer than I predicted. I figured 1-3 days. But I suppose I didn't account for shipping issues to the homebrew developers.

This is the second release. The first version, that only worked with Luckey's Tale, came out on the 5th, less than 24 hours after launch. This is just the generalized version, with a unity specific release as well.

What I actually wonder now is, whether Oculus Touch will add something that might not work on a Steam Controller. I mean afaik they already can detect how hard your trigger finger is pressed onto the controller.

Top Bottom