• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I've developed a prejudice

Status
Not open for further replies.
...against gastric bypass people.

Let me preface this with- if you have had this or a similar procedure for the right reasons, and it was a last resort, I applaud you.

I have a coworker (that I know is the exception to the rule, but it's created the prejudice) that had the procedure done about a month ago. That person is about 100lbs over weight and has "tried every diet out there!!1!". Since the bypass, that person has complained about the lack of weight loss (26 pounds in a month isn't enough?) and I actually heard "Im still on a liquid diet, so I can have a slurpee"

It's becoming increasingly difficult not to keep bluntly honest words in my mouth. This person, to me, feels like she gets a free (besides a major surgery of course) ride to loose weight. The person does not have to work at it. Chances are, the weight will return with the kind of mind set this person has. And of course, the blame will not be theirs.

Im sick of seeing people gorge themselves with 4k+ calories a day and then complaining that they can't loose weight. And having MAJOR surgeries

Note: I realize that there are pre-requirements and exceptions and that for some people this surgery is the last resort. I just know of too many people now that have had this surgery because they just didn't want to work at it.

Barrett2

I hear you. In general I find I don't have any sympathy for most overweight people. Obviously, there are extenuating circumstances in a lot of cases, but most of the time its just laziness that prevents them from becoming healthier. Just because you were raised in a way that led you to become fat, doesn't mean you should remain that way.

On a related note, one of my main irritants is people who act like dieting is some mystery. There are few things more annoying that listening to someone wonder 'what they should do to become healthy.' For Christ's sake, there's no secret; just eat healthy and occasionally exercise.

grumble

There are people who are broken psychologically, and they want the surgery to happen. Does that make them weak and incapable of self control? Usually, but it's their choice. Stomach stapling gets the job done.

Doytch

Yay, another thread where people act as if 95% of people overweight have some terrible medical condition that makes them fat if they eat a goddamn french fry.

msv

qn0ghe.png

uraldix

Lady I worked with tried to get this surgery and the doctor refused until she tried eating sensibly. He had her keep a food log and oddly enough, she dropped 20lbs the first month without the surgery.

Do what I do when people chat shit at work - tell them! It may get you into trouble from time to time but the payoff is worth it. Better out than in.

shuri

Banned
Gastric bypass is no easy free-ride surgery. I know a girl who struggled all her life with her weight (it led her to a suicide attempt when she was 17), and the surgery changed her life around. She got into some association for people who got it, and you would be surprised by the amount of people that actually GAIN weight after the operation simply because they get that 'free ride' mentality and keep bad habits.

She trained incredibly hard, many hours a day, to lose the weight and also not to have excess skin, had to change her lifestyle ANd is now a total healthy food addict. It's no easy free ride, and people who get this done suffer a lot. It can have serious repercussions on the health of the person (my friend has to take some sort of vitamin supplement for the rest of her life as a side effect)

Your coworker is just happy that there is a huge change in her life and how much her life is improving.

Be respectful, and don't be jealous.

Doytch said:
Yay, another thread where people act as if 95% of people overweight have some terrible medical condition that makes them fat if they eat a goddamn french fry.

That's not the point of the OP. I am over weight (22 down, 40 to go!) and I am working my ASS off. I see these kind of people and it's a little frustrating. Because I know that most people won't learn how to eat healthy, or in moderation, or to learn how to love excersize. They just want the fat gone. It's so much more involved than that, and to have a surgery MAKE you eat 2 oz of food and be full, just makes my head spin.

karasu

Why waste your energy judging people? Focus on your own shit. You're not overweight? Great. Work on something else that's wrong with you.

uraldix said:
Lady I worked with tried to get this surgery and the doctor refused until she tried eating sensibly. He had her keep a food log and oddly enough, she dropped 20lbs the first month without the surgery.
I kinda wish that doctors had more clout when they recommend things like this. People are often too willing to do their own thing without trying the sensible approach recommended by those more knowledgeable than them.
karasu said:
Why waste your energy judging people? Focus on your own shit. You're not overweight? Great. Work on something else that's wrong with you.
I've lost forty pounds since I started losing weight a year ago. I currently sit at about 220 lbs and I thought I was big. It's become common place to see people with protruding guts that take up two whole seats on the train and who are pretty visible drain on our health care system.

I don't hate them. I think everyone would be better off if they lost 40... or 150 lbs.

moniker

It blows my mind that there are people that would rather undergo major surgery (with all the risks it involves) than to start eating better.

Javaman

My sister-in-law had the operation done, lost a bunch of weight and now has gained most of it back again. What a waste.

grumble

JosM88 said:
I kinda wish that doctors had more clout when they recommend things like this. People are often too willing to do their own thing without trying the sensible approach recommended by those more knowledgeable.

There was a time not too long ago when doctors would put long-term AR patients to rest with morphine. Attitudes changed, and now the family is supposed to decide. Doctors are happy about this, as it eliminates a very hard decision for them, but the family is the WORST choice to make this decision.

Sometimes it doesn't make sense for doctors to just 'do what they're told', even though that is the prevailing attitude now.

I have prejudices against fat people in common. I just hate each and every one of them. Especially those telling me that it's due to an illness or that they're feeling good being fat.

joelseph

moniker said:
It blows my mind that there are people that would rather undergo major surgery (with all the risks it involves) than to start eating better.

It is the basis of modern society. The most amount of pleasure with the least amount of work.

grumble said:
There was a time not too long ago when doctors would put long-term AR patients to rest with morphine. Attitudes changed, and now the family is supposed to decide. Doctors are happy about this, as it eliminates a very hard decision for them, but the family is the WORST choice to make this decision.

Sometimes it doesn't make sense for doctors to just 'do what they're told', even though that is the prevailing attitude now.
There is a grand canyon sized gulf between putting someone on a diet plan that would eliminate the need for surgery while promoting good long term eating habits and condemning someone to death without their families consent.

Edit:
I think I misread your statement. :p

Ripenen

They really advertise the hell out of that lap band surgery here in LA. I pass at least a couple billboards on my way to work, and there are tons of commercials on TV.

"Let your neeew life begin call 1-800-GET-THIN."

In my opinion everybody with a BMI over 30 should be rounded up and put on some far away island where people are only able to live from coconuts and coconut juice.

andycapps

Javaman said:
My sister-in-law had the operation done, lost a bunch of weight and now has gained most of it back again. What a waste.

I know 3 people that have had it done. 2 of them have gained some or most of the weight back. All have had some sorts of major health issues since then related to it. The 3rd was actually hospitalized for a while and it wasn't looking good for him at all but he seems to be in the clear now thankfully.

And yeah, most of these people ate like horses before. It's not like they were packing their lunch for work and bringing a sandwich on whole wheat bread and then eating some veggies with it and then going, "Oh my goodness, I have a thyroid problem because I can't lose weight no matter how little or what I eat." All of them probably ate 2-3 times what I do, at every meal.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Ripenen said:
They really advertise the hell out of that lap band surgery here in LA. I pass at least a couple billboards on my way to work, and there are tons of commercials on TV.

"Let your neeew life begin call 1-800-GET-THIN."

It's "GET-SLIM." Love that shit, so catchy.

Patrick Bateman said:
In my opinion everybody with a BMI over 30 should be rounded up and put on some far away island where people are only able to live from coconuts and coconut juice.

I disagree with that, BMI is a false tool that doesn't acount for many things. According to the BMI chart many olympic athletes would be "obese". Also, there should be a little island for people just like you as well.

lopaz

Banned
I hate people who send emails. They're too lazy to write a goddamned letter by hand. Why should they get the benefit of communicating with someone far away without having to work at it?

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
If there's one thing I don't understand, it's GAF's hate toward fat people. I don't see GAF speak as poorly about smokers, nor do I see them speak so poorly about druggies. But for some reason, talk about fat people, and there'll be a ton of hate.

As for the topic on hand, I do see where the OP is coming from, though...

Borgnine

I don't understand what kind of irresponsible doctor would perform this surgery on someone who can't control themselves. Aren't you only allowed to eat like a golf ball worth of food a day or YOU DIE? If they can do it after the surgery why can't they do it before? The patient should have to prove that they have some semblance of willpower before they put them under the knife, though at that point the surgery should be unnecessary. Are surgeons just in this for the cash or what?

Why would you do that? said:
If there's one thing I don't understand, it's GAF's hate toward fat people. I don't see GAF speak as poorly about smokers, nor do I see them speak so poorly about druggies. But for some reason, talk about fat people, and there'll be a ton of hate.

GAF hates all kinds of people...especially if they have a hot girlfriend.:lol
ChiTownBuffalo said:
The great john
Well done.

Brannon

Of course, those that get this procedure and then proceed to ignore all advice from their physicians and continue to eat like mammoths end up right where they begin, and no decent doctor would dare give them a second procedure.

Also...

"I eat so little yet gain so much weight, a gastric bypass will help!"

*gets an operation which basically forces you to eat little and it works wonders proving that you were lying about your eating habits the entire time*

ATF487

Patrick Bateman said:

Call it a generalization if you must, but fat people are no good at nothin'

eggandI

Banned
Why would you do that? said:

It's easy to make fun of fatties. No doubt there are a lot of losers here who do it to boost their self esteem a little, but sometimes you just can't help it. I've had more than one fatty tell me they are grossly overweight because of their genes or that they are just big boned or that they've tried *every* single diet, etc... gets tiring after a while.

Prejudice or jealousy?

Who cares how they lose their weight. As long as they change their diet, gastric bypass works pretty well; if they don't change their diet they're putting themselves at great risk. Not everyone wants to work in the gym to lose their weight, nor are they required to.

Limedust

Years ago, back when gastric bypass surgery was covered under our medical plan (under specific conditions), there was a lady at work who was told that she was not heavy enough to qualify... so she ate until she DID qualify. Many of the people who took advantage of having this procedure covered were dependents of active workers; basically, people who sat on their ass at home all day.

The policy has since been revised.

Tenks

eggandI said:
It's easy to make fun of fatties. No doubt there are a lot of losers here who do it to boost their self esteem a little, but sometimes you just can't help it. I've had more than one fatty tell me they are grossly overweight because of their genes or that they are just big boned or that they've tried *every* single diet, etc... gets tiring after a while.

I pretty much have no tolerance for anyone that has accepted an unhealthy lifestyle which raises the cost of my health insurance. At that point it effects me.

Also hasn't science disproved the 'big boned' myth. Sure some people just retain a higher body fat than others but give me a break I'm sure it's a minute fraction that have a genetic mutation that makes their body retain more than 15% body fat.

Limedust said:
Years ago, back when gastric bypass surgery was covered under our medical plan (under specific conditions), there was a lady at work who was told that she was not heavy enough to qualify... so she ate until she DID qualify. Many of the people who took advantage of having this procedure covered were dependents of active workers; basically, people who sat on their ass at home all day.

The policy has since been revised.

That is INSANE! :lol

Koomaster

Yeah, I've always felt those surgeries are just for people looking for an easy way out. I admit there may be extreme circumstances where they are necessary, but the way they are advertised, makes it seem like it's such a simple procedure and anyone who is even a bit overweight should have it done.

I've been going the 'hard' route diet/exercise and lost 180+lbs in a little over a year, so it can be done the normal way without life altering surgery. That stuff scares the heck out of me, I would never have it done.

JoeBoy101

ATF487 said:
Call it a generalization if you must, but fat people are no good at nothin'

This guy thinks you're a moron.

pavarotti460.jpg

So does this one.

peter_jackson_holding_an_oscar.jpg

And yeah, he lost weight. And clearly it was AFTER winning his oscar.

eggandI

Banned
Koomaster said:
Yeah, I've always felt those surgeries are just for people looking for an easy way out. I admit there may be extreme circumstances where they are necessary, but the way they are advertised, makes it seem like it's such a simple procedure and anyone who is even a bit overweight should have it done.

I've been going the 'hard' route diet/exercise and lost 180+lbs in a little over a year
, so it can be done the normal way without life altering surgery. That stuff scares the heck out of me, I would never have it done.

Awesome, man. Just awesome. I want to high 5 the hell out of you right now.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I met a chick online that had this done but she didn't tell me until we met in person. At first I didn't think much of it. But when it came down to the whole physical intimacy part, her skin felt soggy, almost raisin like, but more supple. I think her skin exceeded it's elasticity threshold or some shit. I left and never smashed.

Borgnine

DaCocoBrova said:
I met a chick online that had this done but she didn't tell me until we met in person. At first I didn't think much of it. But when it came down to the whole physical intimacy part, her skin felt soggy, almost raisin like, but more supple. I think her skin exceeded it's elasticity threshold or some shit. I left and never smashed.

Find a fold and fuck it, bro.

That's another thing, getting fat and then losing the weight is great, but if you can help it don't even gain it in the first place, because you can never really go back. I'm pretty thin but still have stretch marks from when I gained a bunch of weight on medication about 10 years ago.

nyong

Banned
I knew a girl on Weight Watchers who decided that somehow turkey bacon wouldn't count against her points. Same girl needed "protein" in the morning or she would get a headache, so she would pick up a corndog from 7/11.

Weight loss sucks for some people, I get it. My metabolism has taken a dive over the years (now 28) but I still can't picture myself hitting obesity levels unless I tried to. And I know there are people who get that heavy without really putting effort into it. BUT I also know that each pound of bodyfat contains 3500 calories. Your body can't pull this out of thin air. For the overwhelming majority of people weight management is completely within their control, given education and making good choices. It might be a pain in the ass. You might not be able to eat food that skinny people can get away with (I know, it sucks). Utlimately, though, weight loss is literally as simple as calories out > calories in. And as your weight decreases, your individual caloric needs decrease with it - yes, fat burns calories at rest just like muscle, albeit fewer of them.

All the talk of reduced activity in society, technology, portion control, BMI, muscle mass, exercise, etc serves exactly one purpose: to determine what an individual's unique calorie needs are given their unique body and lifestyle. These factors are NOT the cause of obesity, they are simple factors one must take into consideration to determine their individual caloric need. Same with gastric bypass, which literally does nothing more than causing you to "feel" fuller sooner. The same result can be reached by eating small meals over a period of time and allowing it to shrink (back to the size of a fist even).

/rant

Sorry, I had a lengthy conversation about this yesterday that drove me nuts. I don't (always) judge people for their eating problems, goodness knows I have my own issues.

Exilexc

Banned
Patrick Bateman said:
I have prejudices against fat people in common. I just hate each and every one of them. Especially those telling me that it's due to an illness or that they're feeling good being fat.

I am right there with you.

JoeBoy101

nyong said:
I knew a girl on Weight Watchers who decided that somehow turkey bacon wouldn't count against her points. Same girl needed "protein" in the morning or she would get a headache, so she would pick up a corndog from 7/11.

Weight loss sucks for some people, I get it. My metabolism has taken a dive over the years (now 28) but I still can't picture myself hitting obesity levels unless I tried to. And I know there are people who get that heavy without really putting effort into it. BUT I also know that each pound of bodyfat contains 3500 calories. Your body can't pull this out of thin air. For the overwhelming majority of people weight management is completely within their control, given education and making good choices. It might be a pain in the ass. You might not be able to eat food that skinny people can get away with (I know, it sucks). Utlimately, though, weight loss is literally as simple as calories out > calories in. And as your weight decreases, your individual caloric needs decrease with it - yes, fat burns calories at rest just like muscle, albeit fewer of them.

All the talk of reduced activity in society, technology, portion control, BMI, muscle mass, exercise, etc serves exactly one purpose: to determine what an individual's unique calorie needs are given their unique body and lifestyle. These factors are NOT the cause of obesity, they are simple factors one must take into consideration to determine their individual caloric need. Same with gastric bypass, which literally does nothing more than causing you to "feel" fuller sooner. The same result can be reached by eating small meals over a period of time and allowing it to shrink (back to the size of a fist even).

/rant

Sorry, I had a lengthy conversation about this yesterday that drove me nuts. I don't (always) judge people for their eating problems, goodness knows I have my own issues.

You do realize that psychological and addiction issues of an individual come into play here as well. That doesn't take away from the truths you presented in your post, but expecting alot of people to just snap out of it and start losing weight is similar to expecting smokers to suddenly realize that their smoking is bad for them and give it up without going back ever.

The difficulties of losing weight are more than with alot of other addictions because you cannot do without food. The requirement of eating means that people can't just cold turkey but moderate and balance, which requires more effort and provides much more temptation to fall off a plan. Furthermore, our media and ads sell and equate food as pleasure, when a mentality of food as fuel is the healthy approach.

Your absolutely right about the physical issues, and the plan is as simple as it can get. Eat less, exercise more. But there is a psychological aspect to it as well that can't be ignored. That is not meant to post excuses but perhaps plead for a little more empathy towards those trying to lose weight or having a difficult time doing so. I've lost 25 pounds since the start of the year and plan on doing that much each quarter of this year, but presenting as solely a physical decision misses the discipline and psychological issues involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom