• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Second: End Layer |OT| Those Thighs, Good Gravy! [out now in NA]

Current setup is fencer / charioteer / bishop / wizard. Basically only trample seems to be of any use in terms of physical attacks. It's light-weak so maybee I could spam magic attacks with a magic-based party?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
y fencer suk so bad

It looks so cool and comes from one of the best characters in the game. I mean, it's not that bad. But it's decidedly... mediocre.

Pejo

So I picked up the collectors edition on a crazy good deal the other day, and I just received it. I had no idea it'd be so...big? Anyways, I haven't even played the first one yet, but I do own it. I just love the art, and the soundtrack from Bravely Default is so damn good. I've listened to the whole thing on Youtube. I'm doing a bit of traveling soon, so I'm going to get through as much of this series as I can. It looks like exactly the type of JRPG I've been waiting for, but damn I hate playing on mobile screens for longer than 20 mins.

cand

I'm on
Caldista
now and I had to come here. Why isn't this game popular? Srsly!! Everything that happened until now was awesome. The story is amazing!!! My favorite RPG of all time was FFVI but now is Bravely Default + Bravely Second. Both games together build a hell of a story. Maybe people didn't get it? What is happening???

jorgejjvr

I'm on
Caldista
now and I had to come here. Why isn't this game popular? Srsly!! Everything that happened until now was awesome. The story is amazing!!! My favorite RPG of all time was FFVI but now is Bravely Default + Bravely Second. Both games together build a hell of a story. Maybe people didn't get it? What is happening???
No idea, but I love both games!!!

Needs more recognition

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I'm on
Caldista

A lot of people got burned out after the second half of the first game I think. Didn't bother me personally, but I remember seeing a lot of complaints about it.

Weiss

Banned
Did the Thief vs. Red Mage quest.
Sided with DeRosa, the guy who manipulated women and then literally melted them down, so he could steal a magic water crystal from poor desert dwellers to power research that may explode a country if things go south. I just really wanted the Thief class.

There's definitely improvements this time around, the Asterisk holders feel like actual people, putting an actual moral dilemma alongside gameplay benefits was clever, and Tiz and Edea are even more interesting than they were in BD, but Yew and Magnolia are dreadful.

suikodan

A lot of people got burned out after the second half of the first game I think. Didn't bother me personally, but I remember seeing a lot of complaints about it.

Is there any "repeat" of that same second half in Bravely Second? I have the game ready to play except that I don't really want to pass through something like that again... (it was tedious...)

The ending pumped me for the sequel though.

Is there any "repeat" of that same second half in Bravely Second? I have the game ready to play except that I don't really want to pass through something like that again... (it was tedious...)

Not if you do it right, there isn't.

I'm on
Caldista

bad rep of 2nd half from 1st game, lower budget, composer change, naotaka+asano+another person to asano+another person only writing the story etc.

There's definitely improvements this time around, the Asterisk holders feel like actual people, putting an actual moral dilemma alongside gameplay benefits was clever, and Tiz and Edea are even more interesting than they were in BD, but Yew and Magnolia are dreadful.

Tiz is even more boring this time around than he was last time to me. He barely has a personality now. Edea is cool though.

Yew and Magnolia are awesome though. Magnolia especially. Way better than Tiz x Agnes.

Niraj

What Linkstrikesback said. You do revisit a lot of the same towns and some dungeons from the first game though, just to note.

Tiz is even more boring this time around than he was last time to me. He barely has a personality now. Edea is cool though.

Yew and Magnolia are awesome though. Magnolia especially. Way better than Tiz x Agnes.

Yeah, I much preferred Magnolia to Agnes.

Tiz is even more boring this time around than he was last time to me. He barely has a personality now.

As opposed to him not having a personality in BD either? lol

That urchin fight is starting to get on my nerves, died about ten times. Went to level 16 and turned everyone sans Magnolia into charioteers and I still end up playing the "which character will get one-shotted in this turn" game. I need to rethink my strategy...

Weiss

Banned
What Linkstrikesback said. You do revisit a lot of the same towns and some dungeons from the first game though, just to note.

I really have the opposite impression. He's still the same humble bumpkin, but he feels a little more worldly and willing to barb and joke around instead of being the aw shucks gee willickers farmboy of the first game.

Yew and Magnolia though, jeez. Yew so far is every terrible JRPG protagonist rolled into one, with his excessive geekiness as his only interesting trait, and Magnolia feels completely underutilized for what we were promised at the end of BD's post-credits ending. Like, I thought she was going to be the main character of this; why is she just Yew's Magical Girlfriend?

EDIT: Okay, Magnolia suddenly became awesome out of nowhere. Wasn't expecting that. Guess the dumb moe blob thing is just an affectation.

Edea is perfect as ever, though. I like her even more here, and that's pretty surprising given that she was far and away the best of the original cast.

Prbilly

Neo Member
I'm on
Caldista

People probably got burned out on chapters 5-7 in Bravely Default and decided that they might not want to risk that sort of repeat in Bravely second.

I have to say I enjoyed this game considerably more. I found the story, in Bravely Second, grabbed me as the game started and kept me interested all the way through the game, where as in Bravely Default it was slog up until the ending.

On top of that, the minor adjustments they made to the classes and battle system are just amazing.

I could easily understand this being someone's favorite RPG, and I think I'm considering it close to one of my favorites as well.

Skrams

Completed the game and post content the other day with about 90 hours on the clock. I have to complete the bestiary and chomp 100m in chomp money for the rest of my titles I think. I started Bravely Default back in March or so and finished everything up to here with 200ish hours spread throughout both games. Really enjoyable games despite the retreads in BD1 being a drag. Wish the post game bosses were a bit harder, but eh. My strategies were a bit OP and I was level 99. I assume most people find multiple crazy OP strategies anyway. I know I stumble into every time I switch up classes. God Quad Wield and Dual Wield and fuckkkking 160k damage per 4 bravesss. Too bad the game is overall easier than the first. Bosses just have less health overall and throw less at you at once to test your mettle. Kind of a bummer. I had more trouble making sure I stole all items possible rather than killing out right. I also had to be careful not to kill too quick since I was afraid I'd miss dialogue or whatever in battle. These games reminded me that I like JRPGs a lot since I hadn't focused on one for a bit that was purely menus or turn based. I'd play a Bravely Third.

Oh, and I like Tiz a lot more this time around. Before he felt like he was just really plain and didn't do much. His schtick this time around of being a warrior of light and hero to all makes it pretty cool. I also like his little things he gets here and there with Agnes. I'm also a sucker for little romancey things like that so Yew and Magnolia does a lot for me. Edea still bringing her usual fun personality and mrgrgr.

Did the Thief vs. Red Mage quest.
Sided with DeRosa, the guy who manipulated women and then literally melted them down, so he could steal a magic water crystal from poor desert dwellers to power research that may explode a country if things go south. I just really wanted the Thief class.

You can use a thief knife instead.
Also his proposition is literally the makings of a cold war with nukes.
Man, fuck DeRosa.

Prbilly

Neo Member
Too bad the game is overall easier than the first. Bosses just have less health overall and throw less at you at once to test your mettle. Kind of a bummer.

Yeah I agree, I feel that all the bosses were easier. I actually found the final boss in Bravely Second to be harder than the one in Bravely Default, but that could just because I was slightly more overleveled in the first game.

God Quad Wield and Dual Wield and fuckkkking 160k damage per 4 bravesss.

I also did this with Tiz as an assassin and having his secondary class Hawkeye (Tomahawk) so I could negate defenses or add weaknesses. I think out of my 4 party members it was my favorite set. Although Exorcist/Bishop was a close second.

Aselith

Man, I love this game. I've put 80 hours in so far. I think I'm most of the way done though just now starting through the dungeons to get the last job. Leveling jobs is becoming a real chore though since you stop getting more JP at 999 and that more than caps out after like 2-3 fights in chapter five, why would they do that? Let me get what I get.

I really enjoyed Bravely Default too but this hooked me in a way, way more. I think some of the QoL really improved things although I do have some issues with some things about the way the battle system is set up.

Who wants to be my BS:EL buddy?

EDIT: 3093-7068-3576

You can add me if you want. 0061-0657-9156

I do! 3196-3311-0332

I just started playing and need some friends!

FC: 0559-6765-2149

Please post or PM me if you add me, thanks!

Need some spacemans with level 99 space ships who's got one?

My FC is 4742-5424-5670 got the level 99

Added you all, if you would like to you can add me to, don't think my level 30 spaceship will be of much help but it chips away little by little.

Friendcode
2406-5111-3138

Managed to beat the urchin by a hair (and by using bravely second / friend summons so it's kind of unfair) at level 16 and with a pretty weak build.

Then I endured the most cringe inducing scene in Bravely yet and now I have to fight some powerlifter dumbledore lookalike. And he still one shots my entire party. I guess my plan of beating the game low-leveled won't work.

I'm playing on hard btw

Managed to beat the urchin by a hair (and by using bravely second / friend summons so it's kind of unfair) at level 16 and with a pretty weak build.

Then I endured the most cringe inducing scene in Bravely yet and now I have to fight some powerlifter dumbledore lookalike. And he still one shots my entire party. I guess my plan of beating the game low-leveled won't work.

I'm playing on hard btw

depends on how you define that low-leveled, but hard diff. is beatable even if your party is on lower level than the recommended dungeon level

Yeah by low-level I mean being at the lower tail end of recommended levels for a dungeon, or basically never having to grind with encounter rate set to 0%.

But it's probably not ideal since this is my first run and while the mechanics are similar to the 1st game I don't know what comes up next to prepare appropriately.

Anyhow turns out this Norzen guy was easier than I thought. Changed everyone to freelancers with charioteer ability and kept Magnolia as a bishop to cast Holy Night. Stand ground + holy night works pretty well against one-shot attacks.

Weiss

Banned
Getting further into the game and I'm really loving it. The gameplay is deeper, the new classes are a blast, the sidequests with the old Jobmasters are both genuinely compelling as moral dilemmas and ways to alter progression of the game by making you choose between two classes, and the emphasis on humour in the game's script actually works well with the retro styling and chibi character designs the way Bravely Default's hella messed up moments fell flat at times. Heck, even Yew and Magnolia are growing on me.

Also the Wizard is amazing and I kind of want an entire game based around Spellcrafting now.

EDIT: Okay, how does fighting Ba'als work? This Apparati is like level 20 and it has five times as much health as the latest story boss and the Reaction spell OHKOs all my team.

Skrams

Close to 100%ing the game. Only need to finish the baals bestiary stuff. The only bummer is to fill out the bestiary I have to rely on luck with streetpasses/daily net invites. I need to fight most of all the Baals 4-5 times to get the thing filled out. I'll fill it out eventually, but it might take a few weeks depending on my luck.

Getting further into the game and I'm really loving it. The gameplay is deeper, the new classes are a blast, the sidequests with the old Jobmasters are both genuinely compelling as moral dilemmas and ways to alter progression of the game by making you choose between two classes, and the emphasis on humour in the game's script actually works well with the retro styling and chibi character designs the way Bravely Default's hella messed up moments fell flat at times. Heck, even Yew and Magnolia are growing on me.

Also the Wizard is amazing and I kind of want an entire game based around Spellcrafting now.

EDIT: Okay, how does fighting Ba'als work? This Apparati is like level 20 and it has five times as much health as the latest story boss and the Reaction spell OHKOs all my team.

You're probably fighting a Neo version which is fuck my ass up difficult. Their stats are way more insane than a non Neo version. The Reaction spell makes it so it deals out all the damage it received that turn. Usually that results in a OHKO and it sucks. I have not tried fighting a Neo version legit because they're just OP as fuck. You can tell if it's a Neo by the gold border around it's picture when selecting it.

Niraj

Close to 100%ing the game. Only need to finish the baals bestiary stuff. The only bummer is to fill out the bestiary I have to rely on luck with streetpasses/daily net invites. I need to fight most of all the Baals 4-5 times to get the thing filled out. I'll fill it out eventually, but it might take a few weeks depending on my luck.

Use new game plus to go to chapter 4, then get to the point where the world freezes. You'll encounter ba'als as you walk around the world, and while the game says that you can't fill your bestiary during this point, it actually keeps track of every enemy you kill. So you'll have to keep track of how many ba'als you actually kill, but it will work. You just have to go to another chapter and fight any enemy and it should sort itself.

That's what I did and it worked.

Niraj

Is it true that some jobs are missable or that you have to choose one over another for the asterisk fights?

minor spoiler:
There is a choice for many of the jobs, but you can get the ones you didn't choose later on

Skrams

Use new game plus to go to chapter 4, then get to the point where the world freezes. You'll encounter ba'als as you walk around the world, and while the game says that you can't fill your bestiary during this point, it actually keeps track of every enemy you kill. So you'll have to keep track of how many ba'als you actually kill, but it will work. You just have to go to another chapter and fight any enemy and it should sort itself.

That's what I did and it worked.
Well shit.

I did that same thing, but when I reached the point I figured oh, I can't do that because of the message they told you. Welp, time to do it again I guess. Thanks for letting me know about this.
Is it true that some jobs are missable or that you have to choose one over another for the asterisk fights?

No, you should be able to get every job in a full playthrough. There's also NG+ to help you out if you somehow miss them.

Maxinas

Not sure if i screwed myself over, but I realized
a lot of enemies that were available before starting the new game plus don't appear anymore in some of the dungeons now filled with new higher leveled enemies. If i intend on filling out the bestiary did i fuck up?

Skrams

Not sure if i screwed myself over, but I realized
a lot of enemies that were available before starting the new game plus don't appear anymore in some of the dungeons now filled with new higher leveled enemies. If i intend on filling out the bestiary did i fuck up?

Nope, they
all appear in a post game dungeon so you can't miss them.

Niraj

There's a Bravely Second theme available on My Nintendo in North America now. 100 platinum coins, for those interested.

Well shit.

I did that same thing, but when I reached the point I figured oh, I can't do that because of the message they told you. Welp, time to do it again I guess. Thanks for letting me know about this.

No problem, I was worried I'd have to wait as well so I looked into it when I was playing.

Shepard

Just started playing the game today. I added almost all friend codes on the last few pages, so feel free to add me too. Send a PM if you do, so I can add back!
FC: 3583-2832-8492

Weiss

Banned
Goddammit I broke the circle pad on my 3DS. I was playing BS while I waited to get my PS3 fixed for more Dark Souls too.

This bites.

Damnit, just realised I mistyped my friendcode, edited my original post, but will post here just in case somebody is interested in befriending a complete idiot.

2406-5111-3138

bumpkin

I really enjoyed BD but I'm having a hard time getting through BS. I don't know if it's just because of the recycled characters, towns or whatever, but it's not gripping me quite like BD did. Am I alone?

I'm currently playing BD this week :)
I just got to the dreaded part where everything starts to repeat and decided to take a break for a day or two

My complaints so far:
- Would have enjoyed some more side quests (that weren't asterisk related)
- Dungeons are a bit samey (even those outside of the crystal dungeons all feel quite similar)
- Villains are a little goofy and pantomimey (I feel a bit like many of them wouldn't be out of place on a Saturday morning children's cartoon) - in theory this is fine, if there's just one or two like this (the jesters from FFIX come to mind) but half of the cast make me feel this
- When the story gives us cutscenes involving the villains, I feel like they aren't developed enough, for example, even though the player is continually besting them and killing the villains one by one, the remaining villains rarely reflect on this, so it feels like there's little consequence
- I'm not a huge fan of how the 'special' moves work, I'd rather just be able to kinda junction a particular one I've gained and then have to fill up a bar or something to activate it
- Summons are kinda random and really non-effective - I've unlocked all of them (stumbling upon Susano-o during chapter 3 was a surprise!) but they never seem to do much damage in battle, the 'ga' elemental attacks do a better job

So those are my grievances, and would be interested to see if those are remedied in the sequel? At any rate, aside from those few issues, I'm really enjoying the game! It feels like an earlier FF game (only better, frankly) but is just lacking a little bit of character/plot development and the world map is a little lacking in areas to really contend with golden era FF, but it's a super promising start.:)

Also I forgot to mention, I fucking love how we can change the combat encounter rate (good for grinding, and good when you can't be arsed) and a minor thing but how we can turn off voices!!! I turned them off and enjoyed the game without either Japanese or English dub (these are always much to slow for my reading speed, and generally a bit cringey) so I could enjoy reading it like pre- Ps2 era JRPG :) I wish more games had this!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm currently playing BD this week :)
I just got to the dreaded part where everything starts to repeat and decided to take a break for a day or two

My complaints so far:
- Would have enjoyed some more side quests (that weren't asterisk related)
- Dungeons are a bit samey (even those outside of the crystal dungeons all feel quite similar)
- Villains are a little goofy and pantomimey (I feel a bit like many of them wouldn't be out of place on a Saturday morning children's cartoon) - in theory this is fine, if there's just one or two like this (the jesters from FFIX come to mind) but half of the cast make me feel this
- When the story gives us cutscenes involving the villains, I feel like they aren't developed enough, for example, even though the player is continually besting them and killing the villains one by one, the remaining villains rarely reflect on this, so it feels like there's little consequence
- I'm not a huge fan of how the 'special' moves work, I'd rather just be able to kinda junction a particular one I've gained and then have to fill up a bar or something to activate it
- Summons are kinda random and really non-effective - I've unlocked all of them (stumbling upon Susano-o during chapter 3 was a surprise!) but they never seem to do much damage in battle, the 'ga' elemental attacks do a better job

So those are my grievances, and would be interested to see if those are remedied in the sequel? At any rate, aside from those few issues, I'm really enjoying the game! It feels like an earlier FF game (only better, frankly) but is just lacking a little bit of character/plot development and the world map is a little lacking in areas to really contend with golden era FF, but it's a super promising start.:)

Also I forgot to mention, I fucking love how we can change the combat encounter rate (good for grinding, and good when you can't be arsed) and a minor thing but how we can turn off voices!!! I turned them off and enjoyed the game without either Japanese or English dub (these are always much to slow for my reading speed, and generally a bit cringey) so I could enjoy reading it like pre- Ps2 era JRPG :) I wish more games had this!

I also reached Chapter 5 in BD recently, but took a break myself for obvious reasons.

Can agree with almost everything stated, especially how specials work and the feeling that summoner is nigh useless despite the massive mp demand.

I am very curious to see how that twist pans out despite the forthcoming repetition. Find it kind of an awesome and unexpected progression change, though certainly I get the sheer hate it bred now. Can't help but respect how bold a design choice it was even if the fans seemed to reject it.

Shepard

Is there any permanently missable sidequest? I'm 10hours in, really enjoying it, but I'd love to play with the destination markers off, to get the feel of the old JRPGS. The only problem is that this also turns off the sidequests markers, and I don't want to lose a job because I didnt look in the right place at the right time...

Niraj

Is there any permanently missable sidequest? I'm 10hours in, really enjoying it, but I'd love to play with the destination markers off, to get the feel of the old JRPGS. The only problem is that this also turns off the sidequests markers, and I don't want to lose a job because I didnt look in the right place at the right time...

Not really. Worst case, there's a new game plus that lets you choose whichever chapter you want to start from, and just about everything else carries over.

Shepard

Not really. Worst case, there's a new game plus that lets you choose whichever chapter you want to start from, and just about everything else carries over.

Hmm, seems to be worth the trade. That big yellow dot on the map kinda makes the game less immersive. Thanks!

Weiss

Banned
Oh shit, Bravely Second just went all Undertale.

It's crazy to think I was going to skip out on this. I liked Bravely Default a lot, but also recognize that it had some significant flaws, and Bravely Second started out pretty thin, but as the game's gone on it's gotten magnitudes better in terms of story, writing, and characters.

So now that I'm on Chapter 5
I can grab all the asterisks I missed the first go-round, right?

spiritfox

Oh shit, Bravely Second just went all Undertale.

It's crazy to think I was going to skip out on this. I liked Bravely Default a lot, but also recognize that it had some significant flaws, and Bravely Second started out pretty thin, but as the game's gone on it's gotten magnitudes better in terms of story, writing, and characters.

So now that I'm on Chapter 5
I can grab all the asterisks I missed the first go-round, right?

Major spoilers:
You haven't seen it go full Undertale yet.

Also, yes.

Weiss

Banned
It's good to see that whatever dimension we're in, Alternis is forever in the friendzone.

Also I am seriously considering just giving up on the Merchant class because I can't actually think of a good reason to convince the old man and his granddaughter to live in a decrepit old shack.

I finally beat the final boss last night. I think that has to be one of the most memorable fights in an RPG.

As much as I liked the first game, I definitely love the second game more. I love the punny names of some characters, the random conversations about food, and the general story of the game is more enjoyable.

A good portion of Default, I felt like it was a chore to play. in Second, it feels like the story is constantly progressing. I saw reviews of people complaining that Second was too much like the first game. I feel like they took what I enjoyed about the first game and improved on their mistakes.

Memorable moments from some of the boss fights:
Not knowing Braev was going to regen his health. I used an SP and braved twice. My first attack made him regen, my 2nd attack made him regen a 2nd time, and my 3rd attack killed him. Complete luck.

I used an SP and accidentally killed Anne before she could attack (147k dmg special)

I loved the 4th wall breaking in the final battle.

Top Bottom