• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 3DS/XL top screen displays: IPS or non-IPS?

kubus

Update: After my 4th TN Hyrule N3DS, I went to Media Markt as a last resort and kindly asked if it was possible to open a console and see if it was IPS. It took some explaining and some help from an awesome chill employee there, but I got permission to open just one box. And holy shit it was an IPS _o_

I hope Nintendo never releases another awesome limited edition N3DS because I don't want to repeat this crazy search. But I'm so happy to finally found a IPS N3DS XL!

You're welcome :) Yeah it seems a bit off but exactly, it can't hurt to try, I mean you have nothing to lose. Too bad about your Hyrule ones so far but good luck either way if you try it!
Luckily I don't have to try this anymore, but here's hoping it could help someone else! :)

RS4-

Quick question, looking to buy a 3ds xl. Think it's worth paying an extra 50-75 for the new model with an ips screen over an o3ds xl ips?

AndrewPL

I have an old 3ds that is tn and a new 3ds that is ips. Not sure what the obsession is with making sure you have an ips, when playing you can't notice the difference as long as your not trying to play at a 75degree angle.

prateeko

Quick question, looking to buy a 3ds xl. Think it's worth paying an extra 50-75 for the new model with an ips screen over an o3ds xl ips?
Do you mean New 3DS(XL) vs the 3DS(XL) without super stable 3D?

The super stable 3D is absolutely worth it. There is no reason to get a regular 3DS over a n3DS.

As for IPS vs TN. I have a n3Ds with TN and a n3DS XL with IPS and I transferred to the n3DS for size, faceplates, etc (Pokemon 20th anniversary edition) and it hasn't made a difference to me and I'm quite particular about these things. If I test it off angle there is a difference but it's an angle I can't realistically play at so I'm okay and prefer the badass Charizard and Blastoise faceplates

RS4-

Do you mean New 3DS(XL) vs the 3DS(XL) without super stable 3D?

The super stable 3D is absolutely worth it. There is no reason to get a regular 3DS over a n3DS.

As for IPS vs TN. I have a n3Ds with TN and a n3DS XL with IPS and I transferred to the n3DS for size, faceplates, etc (Pokemon 20th anniversary edition) and it hasn't made a difference to me and I'm quite particular about these things. If I test it off angle there is a difference but it's an angle I can't realistically play at so I'm okay and prefer the badass Charizard and Blastoise faceplates

I just picked up the N3DS XL. Got the IPS. Now I need some games, which I'll pick up this week. And yeah, I wish this thing had faceplates. Don't want to do the complete housing thing, so I guess I might just do a decal or some other hard shell type thing

prateeko

I just picked up the N3DS XL. Got the IPS. Now I need some games, which I'll pick up this week. And yeah, I wish this thing had faceplates. Don't want to do the complete housing thing, so I guess I might just do a decal or some other hard shell type thing

Where are you located? It's not possible to change the top but from Nintendo's store you can order bottom covers which does allow for some customization. Otherwise I've seen a seller on etsy (EpicPALdesigns I think) who has nice vinyl skins that I was thinking about getting to spruce up the inside of my n3DS...

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe

An OG3DSXL with an IPS screen or screens simply didn't exist, but I see you bought a N3DSXL anyways.

Update: After my 4th TN Hyrule N3DS, I went to Media Markt as a last resort and kindly asked if it was possible to open a console and see if it was IPS. It took some explaining and some help from an awesome chill employee there, but I got permission to open just one box. And holy shit it was an IPS _o_

I hope Nintendo never releases another awesome limited edition N3DS because I don't want to repeat this crazy search. But I'm so happy to finally found a IPS N3DS XL!

Luckily I don't have to try this anymore, but here's hoping it could help someone else! :)

Whoops only saw this now when scrolling through my thread-tabs. That's great to hear! :D Media Markt really has amazing friendly service across the board, good that the employee helped you out :)

I had a similar positive experience there this week, my headset snapped nearly at one ear-piece and it was still under warranty so I went there getting it exchanged however someone messed up my exchange order and I had to wait a while in the store. When I finally got my exchange paper the guy said "Sorry that took a bit, for that I also renewed your warranty for another two years from now." I was pretty perplexed at first, thanked him and then left. So yeah great service across the board :)

Back on topic, after I saw the new Super Famicom new 3DS I wonder how many of them will be IPS.

Eiji

Just need someone else to confirm but does it look like these 2 n3DS XL's have a top IPS screen? Pics taken with screens at full brightness. Not sure about the bottom screens.

rUSdXCG.jpg

CTRhQSj.jpg

Eiji

Looking at a few other pics in this thread it seems as though the left one is Dual IPS?

Both are mine and are Metallic Black models.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
just ordered a new happy home designer n3ds bundle off gamestop's website

kind of wish i read this thread first -_-

prateeko

just ordered a new happy home designer n3ds bundle off gamestop's website

kind of wish i read this thread first -_-
I legitimately don't get this sentiment and I'm super anal when it comes to my stuff. I picked up a Pokémon n3DS and it ended up being TN. I can't swap it out since they were so limited and the n3DSXL I transferred from was IPS. I don't notice a difference when playing really.

If you're unsatisfied you can request an exchange but in person there isn't a big difference.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I legitimately don't get this sentiment and I'm super anal when it comes to my stuff. I picked up a Pokémon n3DS and it ended up being TN. I can't swap it out since they were so limited and the n3DSXL I transferred from was IPS. I don't notice a difference when playing really.

If you're unsatisfied you can request an exchange but in person there isn't a big difference.

word, appreciate it.

i would just hate knowing there is a slightly improved version of my device available, if it came to that.

prateeko

word, appreciate it.

i would just hate knowing there is a slightly improved version of my device available, if it came to that.
For actual gameplay purposes I do not think it's improved. What matters more to me personally is how the screens are set temperature wise and if they line up so colors look similar on the top and bottom screens, which mine is. I def returned/exchanged a couple n3DSXLs at launch because the hue was so different between the top and bottom.

I have an AC HH bundle N3DS which I just got back today from NOA for a screen repair (lower screen was scratching the upper on right and left sides). Maybe I'm wrong and it's just the temporary thrill of having the system back, but as soon as I turned it on the screen seemed to look a bit brighter and appeared crisper. The touch screen looks super clean and almost new too, am I crazy or did they maybe replace at least one of my screens with an IPS? Text is crisp and readable even at sharp angles, I took multiple shots. Before I sent the system in for repair the screen, color and text would blur out as soon as it was tilted to the side, not anymore, it's easier to tell in person:

With black background:

Link_enfant

The Fire Emblem Fates N3DS XL has been released in Europe recently, and as expected the lottery continues.

The first one I got had a top IPS panel but TN bottom. Also the top screen wasn't perfectly centered so the little black space on the right was larger.
Start button felt weird like it had been used a lot.

I've returned it today and will receive a new unit likely on Wednesday, hoping for a dual IPS N3DS XL.
It seems to be pretty "common" at least in France so I don't really want an inferior system.

Anyone else picked the european FE Fates edition and ended up being (un)lucky?

Powwa

I've just found out such thing existed yesterday and I was so surprised. How did this even get a pass? I have a European Hyrule Edition N3DS XL with top IPS and bottom TN screen.

Kinda annoyed it's not both IPS but could have been worse I guess with top screen being a TN too.

MDave

Is there much difference between the screens when directly facing towards them? Can the difference only be seen when they are side by side in that case?

I have an AC HH bundle N3DS which I just got back today from NOA for a screen repair (lower screen was scratching the upper on right and left sides). Maybe I'm wrong and it's just the temporary thrill of having the system back, but as soon as I turned it on the screen seemed to look a bit brighter and appeared crisper. The touch screen looks super clean and almost new too, am I crazy or did they maybe replace at least one of my screens with an IPS? Text is crisp and readable even at sharp angles, I took multiple shots. Before I sent the system in for repair the screen, color and text would blur out as soon as it was tilted to the side, not anymore, it's easier to tell in person:

Yeah, the bottom screen now looks like an IPS panel.

Is there much difference between the screens when directly facing towards them? Can the difference only be seen when they are side by side in that case?

Yeah, it's minor though. But because of the way both screens aren't directly facing you, having a TN bottom screen or TN top screen (or both) can mean one or the other or both screens have a bit of colour shift, because the vertical viewing angles are just as bad as the horizontal ones.

Just ordered myself the N3DS XL Hyrule Edition from the German Saturn online shop. It's currently on sale there for just 164€ until monday morning.

I hope so much to grab at least a top IPS panel and even then, knowing that there are dual IPS devices out there will probably bother me for a while.

It's hard to believe Nintendo gets a free pass on this. Not that the 240p resolution is enough of a travesty in 2016. They also use different display technologies of which one is generally received as the clearly inferior one by most people, without any way of differentiation for the customer before opening the product. And they are charging just the same amount of money for it.

If Samsung or Apple were to do this with their products, there would be a global shitstorm.

Nintendo does probably increase their revenue by using leftover panels from their previous models and / or tries to save money, since IPS is generally more expensive (at least in the consumer market). But then I wonder, why bothering with IPS in the first place.

If Samsung or Apple were to do this with their products, there would be a global shitstorm.

- Samsung TVs have featured a mix of MVA/PVA panels with great variances in contrast ratio, viewing angles etc.
- Apple have sourced panels for their $2000+ laptops that consistently had obvious tinting and backlight uniformity issues.

The most notable offender is probably Dell.

You're also vastly overestimating the degree to which the general populace pays attentions to or cares about these things. It doesn't make it any less shitty for those who do, of course.

- Samsung TVs have featured a mix of MVA/PVA panels with great variances in contrast ratio, viewing angles etc.
- Apple have sourced panels for their $2000+ laptops that consistently had obvious tinting and backlight uniformity issues.

The most notable offender is probably Dell.

Oh, yes. I'm aware of the Samsung panel lottery with their TV devices. Didn't know that one with Apple and Dell though.

I probably should have mentioned that I was referring to mobile devices (smartphones) since that's their biggest market. But then again, it shouldn't make a difference to your point - I see it.

You're also vastly overestimating the degree to which the general populace pays attentions to or cares about these things. It doesn't make it any less shitty for those who do, of course.
Also this. I probably hang out too much with technically enthusiastic folks like me and forget to take things like these into consideration.

Hell yes.

My New 3DS XL Hyrule Edition arrived today and top screen is IPS.

Difference between them two is night and day and I'm saying that after merely navigating through the menu. It should be more noticeable while in game.

TN touchscreen looks bad in comparison to say the least.

To be honest I was a bit afraid before opening it. Seems like I got lucky.

febLey

The Fire Emblem Fates N3DS XL has been released in Europe recently, and as expected the lottery continues.

The first one I got had a top IPS panel but TN bottom. Also the top screen wasn't perfectly centered so the little black space on the right was larger.
Start button felt weird like it had been used a lot.

I've returned it today and will receive a new unit likely on Wednesday, hoping for a dual IPS N3DS XL.
It seems to be pretty "common" at least in France so I don't really want an inferior system.

Anyone else picked the european FE Fates edition and ended up being (un)lucky?
My girlfriend got one with top IPS and bottom TN.

I'm currently on the edge of buying a n3DS XL but my biggest concert at the moment is to get a 3DS which has a stable top screen.

Saoshyant

Well, this isn't entirely related with this thread, but as someone who would like to upgrade to a Nu3DS from its 2011 aquamarine launch model, there's a very important question to me I can't find an answer for anywhere: is the D-pad on the Nu3DS much improved from the earlier models?

Here's my problem: I've been resisting the urge to upgrade even though I'd like to play some of the exclusive Nu3DS stuff (mostly HWL and a few SNES games) because my old system still works and I'm not made of money. But I bought Super Mario 3 on the recent European sale, and while it's still as awesome as I remember it, it doesn't control as well as I recall because the D-pad is tiny and slippery. I don't really play many platformers and stuff like Mario 3D Land uses the stick anyway, so I never cared how bad it is, but now it's actually a deal breaker.

Someone let me know how much better the newer hardware is regarding the actual controls.

Persona7

Banned
How do I return a unit if it doesn't have a screen I like? Do I say it is defective? Also, where is the best place?

I doubt Target would let me go through a bunch of them.

How do I return a unit if it doesn't have a screen I like? Do I say it is defective? Also, where is the best place?

I doubt Target would let me go through a bunch of them even if I do say they are defective.
Don't know about your country but here in Germany we have the full right of return and cancelation within 14 days after the purchase, secured by law for ANY kind of order.
Officially, you don't even have to provide a reason for your decision.

As for purchases from a local shop however, that relies completely on the salers obligingness.

Kinda ironic if you think about it and one of the reasons why I order pretty much everything but food from the Internet nowadays.

Opa-Pa

Well, this isn't entirely related with this thread, but as someone who would like to upgrade to a Nu3DS from its 2011 aquamarine launch model, there's a very important question to me I can't find an answer for anywhere: is the D-pad on the Nu3DS much improved from the earlier models?

Here's my problem: I've been resisting the urge to upgrade even though I'd like to play some of the exclusive Nu3DS stuff (mostly HWL and a few SNES games) because my old system still works and I'm not made of money. But I bought Super Mario 3 on the recent European sale, and while it's still as awesome as I remember it, it doesn't control as well as I recall because the D-pad is tiny and slippery. I don't really play many platformers and stuff like Mario 3D Land uses the stick anyway, so I never cared how bad it is, but now it's actually a deal breaker.

Someone let me know how much better the newer hardware is regarding the actual controls.
I don't know about the new 3DS XL, but between the OG3DS and regular sized n3DS, there's a world of difference. I upgraded to n3DS from the very same model you have a couple of months ago (same color and everything) and while I liked it a lot, the D Pad was never really that good and it started to get a bit sharp around the edges which made it awkward to use to the point I started to play sidescrollers and the like less and less.

Now with the n3DS it's completely different. It has a very soft feel to it and every direction feels like an independent button, it feels slightly bigger too. It also makes this subtle *click* when you press it that adds some nice feedback. I've been playing the DKC trilogy recently and it's been very pleasant thanks to it and the ABYX buttons which are also a great upgrade from the OG3DS'; they feel softer and my finger doesn't hurt from holding down buttons like with my other system.

It's no Vita level but I'd say it's better than the Wii U's pro controller's, which is already pretty good. I'd say go for it.

//DEVIL//

Sorry to raise this up but i have a question i would like to ask.

I am really looking for N3ds that is not an Xl . I was checking ebay and the prices are super stupid if you want an ips 3ds. So honest question is it worth it ? Please note i am allergic to screen leak and dead pixels and they are kinda common with ips screen.

I was able to find a pokemon 3ds new in few local stores here all for 215$ price range. I checked 4 units and all it seems tn or i m blind.

So i picked one with nice colors and no dead pixels ot screen leak. But as i got home i am now kinda having bad feelings i didnt look or wait or pay more and get an ips screen even though i will probably cant tell the difference. What do you guys think honestly

Sorry to raise this up but i have a question i would like to ask.

I am really looking for N3ds that is not an Xl . I was checking ebay and the prices are super stupid if you want an ips 3ds. So honest question is it worth it ? Please note i am allergic to screen leak and dead pixels and they are kinda common with ips screen.

I was able to find a pokemon 3ds new in few local stores here all for 215$ price range. I checked 4 units and all it seems tn or i m blind.

So i picked one with nice colors and no dead pixels ot screen leak. But as i got home i am now kinda having bad feelings i didnt look or wait or pay more and get an ips screen even though i will probably cant tell the difference. What do you guys think honestly

I think light leakage/dead pixels are covered under warranty, but I'm not sure if Nintendo replaces the screens when you send it in, which would defeat the purpose of having IPS screens.

//DEVIL//

I think light leakage/dead pixels are covered under warranty, but I'm not sure if Nintendo replaces the screens when you send it in, which would defeat the purpose of having IPS screens.
To make things worse i am not even located in US or Canada ( french Canadian ) and i am going to assume the local store will not provide on dead pixels lol
I just want to know if the IPS are really that worth the 100$ extra those ebayers are offering

NeOak

To make things worse i am not even located in US or Canada ( french Canadian ) and i am goong to assume the local store will not provide on dead pixels lol
I just want to know if the IPS are really that worth the 100$ extra those ebayers are offering
For $100? No IMHO.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Man, hunting for a new 3DS XL has not been easy because of this, I've resorted to analyzing used listings to determine whether or not the item they're selling has a TN or IPS screen.

Just can't play the screen lottery if the system is new :/

Vitacat

Does anyone know what screens the recent Y7014 model has? I know the 7010 and 7011 and dual IPS but wasnt sure about my recently acquired 7014

TN. Some 7012's are IPS. Anything over 7012 is dual TN.

But, as much as I'd love a dual IPS, these are still pretty nice TN screens. I have compared it to my IPS top screened New XL, and it's not that much of a difference really. In fact some dark shades show up on the TN and just turn to black on IPS. So there's a bit of a trade off with both.

derFeef

Got my black New 3DS XL yesterday.
IPS top, TN bottom.
Package slides out to top.
Ordered on Amazon de/at.

edit: will update with serial number as soon as I get home

I got a XL last week that has IPS top screen, but it is also tinted blue/green quite a bit.
Not so noticeable in games, but if any light color is on both the top and bottom screens in large amount (like when using the browser) it's super obvious and annoying. In games you can tell that colors are cooler but it doesn't annoy me at all.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
So friends, dipping my feet into the ips race again. Previously bought a new 3ds xl and it had fortunately an IPS screen, but I really want to get a blue system, so i'm gonna try and look at the new galaxy style new 3ds models. Hopefully I can bug a gamestop employee to at leadt check the screen before buying. Already saw report of someone getting an Ips top tn bottom.

n0razi

I would argue that a quality TN is better for a portable than an IPS panel. You are never going to use a n3DS at the angles show in the examples.

A good TN panel has just as good color reproduction as an IPS panel when viewed straight on and has superior response times which is more important for gaming.

Top Bottom