• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 3DS/XL top screen displays: IPS or non-IPS?

Canon

Banned
Thank you.

Yes but my camera has problems getting a proper image of the black screens. And I didn't know how to get both screens completely black. The trick in the opening post about removing the card when booting a DS game gives me this error on the lower screen. But at least both are still on and mostly black.
That's the best I could manage. I don't see any bleeding. Maybe some glowing.
3ds7jdjyz.jpg
Question - are you using Battery Saver mode? And what brightness level?

Turning Battery Saver on reduces the glow (or bleed) significantly. But it also significantly negatively impacts picture quality.

Battery Saver also switches the color temp to cool instead of warm.

It sucks because my glow is so bad... on battery saver it's not bad at all but I hate the way everything else looks lol

After my 4th dual TN Pokemon new 3DS, I think I'll just settle for an inferior screen. Like a poster said earlier, it's probably based more on batches/shipments than retailers, so I assume my southern California area only received TN models.

I wouldn't worry about it. The difference is negligible on the less than 4" tiny screen of the n3ds. It is much more noticeable when comparing my XLs due to the larger display.

Bittercup

Question - are you using Battery Saver mode? And what brightness level?

Turning Battery Saver on reduces the glow (or bleed) significantly. But it also significantly negatively impacts picture quality.

Battery Saver also switches the color temp to cool instead of warm.

It sucks because my glow is so bad... on battery saver it's not bad at all but I hate the way everything else looks lol
I turned battery saver and auto brightness both off and kept the default brightness of 4 on the screenshots.

ZOONAMI

My launch n3ds XL has ips top, TN bottom. Also has a perfect hinge with zero wobble. Returned the first one because it was so wobbly I considered it defective.

DapperSloth

When you return a 3DS or n3DS that has a faulty screen (TN-display instead of IPS), what do you say to the company (Amazon or Walmart for instance)?

Do you just say: "Faulty screen, I want it exchanged". I mean most stores want to know WHY it's faulty. It sounds to me if you were to try to explain that you want the one with the better screen, they would laugh at you and say "you aren't happy with the one you have now? You can see a picture on it".

When you return a 3DS or n3DS that has a faulty screen (TN-display instead of IPS), what do you say to the company (Amazon or Walmart for instance)?

Do you just say: "Faulty screen, I want it exchanged". I mean most stores want to know WHY it's faulty. It sounds to me if you were to try to explain that you want the one with the better screen, they would laugh at you and say "you aren't happy with the one you have now? You can see a picture on it".

Honestly, there's really nothing in terms of packaging that would allow the retailer to tell whether it's been used. There's no plastic wrapping or seals, and everything in the box is just in loose plastic bags/wrapping.

So my dual IPS Pokémon new 3DS has some light bleeding in the upper left of the bottom screen, nothing that affects gameplay since the bottom screen is rarely completely dark (I only notice during loading screens). But if I look at the space between the plastic and the screen, there appears to be a small gap where the light bleeding occurs - is this a common issue, and is there any way to fix it?

It's a minor nitpick, but after spending so much on a dual IPS I expect perfection.

El-Suave

I'm about to get a New 3DS XL in Germany next week. Normally I'd go for the Hyrule edition, but I also could get a Monster Hunter bundle with that special edition from the launch back in the day. Is there a version that has a better shot at getting an IPS panel?

Glix

I am pretty sure neither of the screens on my n3ds (not xl) are not IPS.

BUT they are amazing. No bleeding. Incredibly bright and lush. Colors look fantastic. I like it bright, I used to play my n3dsxl in the dark on 3 or 4. With my n3ds its on 1 in the dark and still looks amazing and bright. I am SO happy with the purchase.

Someone on the N3DS subreddit is claiming his Pokemon N3DS system has a IPS screen.

JIXgbLB.jpg

Somehow I missed this! Amazing, if I had a New 3DS with screens like that I'd definitely ditch my XL.

That the viewing angles on the TN panels on most N3DSes are worst than the original 3DS really annoys me, even if they have improved colour calibration, contrast ratio and power consumption there shouldn't a downgrade like that.

Does anyone else have a regular N3DS like this? Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/3DS/comments/47g4m6/my_pokemon_n3ds_has_an_ips_screen_top_and_bottom/

I'm going to guess newer batches have dual IPS going forward, as anecdotally a fair few people I know who have bought a N3DS XL also reported dual IPS in their models. So if shopping around for one make sure it's not going to be from a place that's clearing old stock or has old stock sitting around. That's probably easier for North American buyers since the N3DS there seems to be coupled with limited edition releases.

Edit: might be the N3DSes produced for the Pokémon Anniversary Edition bundle:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Ninten...cAAOSwyjBW65J1
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Pokemo...EAAOSwYlJW40sc

Edit 2: Not *all* N3DSes. Someone in this thread reported a TN top screen and IPS bottom screen. http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/99761...o-3ds/73360554

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
In other news both panels of my newly purchased New 3DS are TN :(
*BUT*: call me crazy, call it a placebo effect if you don't agree, but while I immediately noticed how the viewing angle is by any means much shittier and the colors less poppy, at least both panels are properly calibrated and a good match and actually white (my O3DS touch screen was very yellow tinted and too warm) AND the stereoscopic 3D effect feels distinctively more stable than my friends' IPS upper panel.
Dunno, maybe the best outcome would be upper screen TN and bottom IPS, but that is if I'm not alone in having experienced more stable 3D with the TN panel. Unless of course you don't care about 3D, lol
What do you guys say?

Yeah, I'd take superior colour accuracy and calibration over viewing angles I think, though only if the viewing angles are at least good enough in most cases (the TNs in the N3DS I returned had colours that shifted far too easily).

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Fuck, i recently ordered a Blue new 3ds xl (malaysia uae that is ntsc-u) and it immediatley jumped at me that i had a TN screen. Call me sensitive, but even after the setup I had enough, I need my ips back.

I dunno why but it feels way more dithery when moving the screen around too. Maybe I just have bad luck.

kubus

Do we know if the European Hyrule New 3DS XL can have IPS screens? I bought mine yesterday, it was double TN. My Majora's Mask N3DSXL has upper IPS so this sucks. Also the circle pad makes grating noises when I move it, like there's sand in there. I've already ordered a new one which is supposed to arrive today. Hopefully that one has a normal slide pad, but I'm curious if there's a chance of getting better screens as well.

Kaname

So I'm completely new about the argument but I was planning on picking up the upcoming Fire Emblem New 3DS XL and stumbled upon this thread.
What's the deal with these screens? I mean, shouldn't they all be with the same standard or did Nintendo just bought stocks of whatever was cheaper/better priced and in some cases it lead to double IPS - IPS/TN - double TN?
I'm slightly confused because it doesn't seem like it's an upgrade introduced after a certain model was introduced or am I wrong? Just incredibly stupid to offer two different standards of screens in the same line of consoles, or is it just me? :(

kubus

OK so according to this amazon.de review thread, there are European New 3DS XL Hyrule Editions in the wild with an IPS display. My second unit just arrived and luckily it didn't have the squeeky circle pad but unfortunately also TN.

I really wish I never opened this thread. I can't love my new New 3DS :(.

OK so according to this amazon.de review thread, there are European New 3DS XL Hyrule Editions in the wild with an IPS display. My second unit just arrived and luckily it didn't have the squeeky circle pad but unfortunately also TN.

I really wish I never opened this thread. I can't love my new New 3DS :(.
Same. I love the design, it looks even prettier in real life than I thought it would, but damn those TN panels look so washed out :(

Not sure what to do now.

kubus

Same. I love the design, it looks even prettier in real life than I thought it would, but damn those TN panels look so washed out :(

Not sure what to do now.
I've already ordered two more systems >__>. If neither of them have IPS I'll go mad, haha. I know it's going to bother me in the future so I've decided to keep trying to get an IPS screen until I've ran out of options. When that happens, well, I'll know I tried everything and I'll just have to learn to love my TN display :p.

My Hyrule 3DS XL has IPS topscreen. =(
Congrats! It's reassuring to know that the IPS versions aren't extremely rare, going by your and a few other posts :p

washed out? what do you mean
My mistake...was still in the middle of a system transfer from my OG 3DS and didn't realise the god awful adaptive brightness was turned on by default. Made it look washed out in comparison to the old screens.

Promptly turned that crap off, ramped the brightness up a couple of notches and it looks fine now. It might not be IPS but it looks good enough (although playing on an OG Vita immediately beforehand doesn't help matters either).

I've already ordered two more systems >__>. If neither of them have IPS I'll go mad, haha. I know it's going to bother me in the future so I've decided to keep trying to get an IPS screen until I've ran out of options. When that happens, well, I'll know I tried everything and I'll just have to learn to love my TN display :p.
Good luck with that, hopefully one of them turns out to be IPS. As I've no comparison to make I may as well stay happy in my ignorance and forget this thread ever existed :)

Congrats! It's reassuring to know that the IPS versions aren't extremely rare, going by your and a few other posts :p

Well I looked around and you might still have luck even if your new 3DS's aren't TN, I looked around and apparently there are reports of Nintendo exchanging TN screens for IPS if you push enough:

Nintendo switched out the top TN display on my N3DS XL for an IPS one, free of charge through Nintendo Repair, after (politely) complaining to them about how crappy the image looked when moving the system at the slightest of angles, and how the 'Super Stable' 3D was all over the place because of it. So they will do it, you just have to go the extra mile to make sure they follow through on it...

So good luck either way!

prateeko

Well I looked around and you might still have luck even if your new 3DS's aren't TN, I looked around and apparently there are reports of Nintendo exchanging TN screens for IPS if you push enough:

So good luck either way!

Is this really possible to specify? My pokemon n3DS top screen is TN which I didn't mind but the contrast appears high enough that dark colors blur a little (e.g. Mario's hat ghosts a little on level 2 of SMW when jumping against the green background). I can't really swap this out and it's still in the return period but I'd rather they swap out the screen and while TN without this issue would be fine IPS would be preferable (that's what my n3DS XL is)

Is this really possible to specify? My pokemon n3DS top screen is TN which I didn't mind but the contrast appears high enough that dark colors blur a little (e.g. Mario's hat ghosts a little on level 2 of SMW when jumping against the green background). I can't really swap this out and it's still in the return period but I'd rather they swap out the screen and while TN without this issue would be fine IPS would be preferable (that's what my n3DS XL is)

Well I'm only going after what I read online but going by that should be entirely possible if you specify that you are unhappy with your top-screens quality and it's not satisfying to you, saying that you rather want an IPS screen to remedy the issue.

I don't think any of the displayed images are TN displays. This is what TN does with vertical angles:
philips-220cw9fb-blickwinkel.jpg

I think they are different types of IPS displays. Looking at the Wiki there are different generations of IPS displays, with the latest ones having improved contrast, also at angles.
Which leaves the question, are there any regular N3DS versions with the better contrast displays?

I'll just repost this as none of the displays in this thread look like TN panels. They all look like better or worse IPS displays. The original 3DS also doesn't use TN panels.

I have IPS displays that don't look washed out at any angle and ones that look washed out (turn towards white) at diagonal angles (my IPS monitors).

ShadowOwl

Pretty sure that my Hyrule N3DS XL has a top IPS, bottom TN.

Btw, is it normal that the top screen appears to be a little more greenish than the bottom one? Noticed the same thing when taking a closer look at a Happy Home Designer N3DS XL of a friend.

Arkeband

Banned
I bought an N3DS XL Hyrule Edition from GameStop, it was not fully enclosed in a cardboard box inside, it lifted out from the center.

It's dual-IPS, super obvious compared to my dual-TN 3DS XL.

Just figured I'd throw this in here to show that dual IPS does indeed exist and the way it's packaged doesn't seem to be a surefire way to know what parts it was built with.

Link83

I bought an N3DS XL Hyrule Edition from GameStop, it was not fully enclosed in a cardboard box inside, it lifted out from the center.

It's dual-IPS, super obvious compared to my dual-TN 3DS XL.

Just figured I'd throw this in here to show that dual IPS does indeed exist and the way it's packaged doesn't seem to be a surefire way to know what parts it was built with.
Is that the US or European Hyrule Edition?

kubus

I have opened four boxes so far of the Hyrule N3DS XL and all four of them were double TN. Either these things are super rare or I'm having just the worst luck.

So good luck either way!
Might give this a try, though I'm not sure if they would listen to those kind of requests here :(. Can't hurt to try. Thanks!

ohlawd

guys, stop bumping this thread. I miss my IPS 3DS so fucking much

next time mine craps out, I'm definitely gonna try and get them to switch to an IPS screen because I'm tired of not being able to use 3D with my current TN model

I have opened four boxes so far of the Hyrule N3DS XL and all four of them were double TN. Either these things are super rare or I'm having just the worst luck.

Might give this a try, though I'm not sure if they would listen to those kind of requests here :(. Can't hurt to try. Thanks!

You're welcome :) Yeah it seems a bit off but exactly, it can't hurt to try, I mean you have nothing to lose. Too bad about your Hyrule ones so far but good luck either way if you try it!

Top Bottom