• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 3DS/XL top screen displays: IPS or non-IPS?

I would argue that a quality TN is better for a portable than an IPS panel. You are never going to use a n3DS at the angles show in the examples.

A good TN panel has just as good color reproduction as an IPS panel when viewed straight on and has superior response times which is more important for gaming.

Perhaps in other electronics. But none of this is true with the screens Nintendo uses. The TN screens they source are flat out worse than the IPS ones at color reproduction with the exception of having less black crush.

Also across the now 5 3DS I've owned the TN screens are much worse than the IPS when it comes to the super steady 3D.

Finally, of course no one plays at the extreme angles. But what the pictures don't show is that even very slight angles cause the TN screens to fade. I'd venture to say that most players do not constantly have the screen directly in front of their faces at the perfect sweet spot 100% of the time while playing.

Skux

No excuse not to have an IPS screen on a $300+ modern portable device. It's going to be moving all the time when you're using it.

I would argue that a quality TN is better for a portable than an IPS panel. You are never going to use a n3DS at the angles show in the examples.

The keyword here is quality. The TN panel on the 3DS is of terrible quality. I would know. I had a TN version and recently switched to an IPS version. Noticeable improvement.

Link_enfant

Also the technically worse response time on IPS panels in general doesn't really apply to the New 3DS.
There's absolutely no noticeable input lag or ghosting effect, where I can immediately notice it on my HDTV (The Binding of Isaac Rebirth is great for checking this).

Regarding the New 3DS, IPS screens are just better and should come with every unit, at least for the top screen.

Also the technically worse response time on IPS panels in general doesn't really apply to the New 3DS.
There's absolutely no noticeable input lag or ghosting effect, where I can immediately notice it on my HDTV (The Binding of Isaac Rebirth is great for checking this).

Regarding the New 3DS, IPS screens are just better and should come with every unit, at least for the top screen.

The only thing I have against the top IPS, bottom TN setup is that on top of the difference in quality being jarring, the IPS and TN screens are inexplicably set to different color temperatures very often, so the end result is often that you get a bluish top screen and a yellowish bottom screen.

I don't know why nobody in the press has made a stink about this because it really really sucks that Nintendo does this.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

Zy1gjh1.jpg

Not mine but my Majora's N3DS XL has this same issue but not quite as prominent.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
So guys, struck out 4 times at gamestop today. 2 stores let me look at them, 2 stores did not. The two stores that did let me look at them were both dual TN displays. I think my time is up.

This is in reference to the newly released galaxy 3ds xl. I just wanted a blue 3ds with one ips screen so bad :(

The only thing I have against the top IPS, bottom TN setup is that on top of the difference in quality being jarring, the IPS and TN screens are inexplicably set to different color temperatures very often, so the end result is often that you get a bluish top screen and a yellowish bottom screen.

I don't know why nobody in the press has made a stink about this because it really really sucks that Nintendo does this.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

http://i.imgur.com/Zy1gjh1.jpg

Not mine but my Majora's N3DS XL has this same issue but not quite as prominent.

Oh, so it's a common thing then? I noticed my top (IPS) display's colors are very cool, whereas on my old 3DS both were about the same and slightly warm. I only really notice it when stuff scrolls or spans between both displays. Kind of annoying, but less so than having a TN top panel.

Apoc87

Banned
Seems like the best place to ask this, does anyone think the 2ds' brightest setting isnt really bright enough? Maybe im making a mistake comparing it to cell phone screens but i think it should be a tad bit brighter.

And does anyone have trouble playing outdoors because of the glare and barely being able to see anything even on the brightest settings?

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Seems like the best place to ask this, does anyone think the 2ds' brightest setting isnt really bright enough? Maybe im making a mistake comparing it to cell phone screens but i think it should be a tad bit brighter.

And does anyone have trouble playing outdoors because of the glare and barely being able to see anything even on the brightest settings?

That's the case with most of these modern displays, it's almost impossible to play with the sun glaring.

v0yce

Was finally able to pick up a dual IPS n3DS Mario bundle at Walmart.

I originally checked all the local Targets but all high dual TNs. I read here on Gaf about someone getting one at Walmart but there's nothing about them on their site and the first few I checked didn't know anything about carrying them. I had basically given up but happened to go in an out of the way Wmart and there they were. I could even see the SN in the case.

I'm happy. It's a noticeable improvement.

Was finally able to pick up a dual IPS n3DS Mario bundle at Walmart.

I originally checked all the local Targets but all high dual TNs. I read here on Gaf about someone getting one at Walmart but there's nothing about them on their site and the first few I checked didn't know anything about carrying them. I had basically given up but happened to go in an out of the way Wmart and there they were. I could even see the SN in the case.

I'm happy. It's a noticeable improvement.

Does the serial # allow us to tell if it's IPS or not?

ohlawd

So guys, struck out 4 times at gamestop today. 2 stores let me look at them, 2 stores did not. The two stores that did let me look at them were both dual TN displays. I think my time is up.

This is in reference to the newly released galaxy 3ds xl. I just wanted a blue 3ds with one ips screen so bad :(
goddamnit this is disappointing

my TN screen still makes me cry.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Thanks for the link, very informative.

I found the board about a week ago and am pretty passionate about their findings! Wish we had more data for the new 3ds xl models but this is a good start for people who want ips screens on the new 3ds :)

Link_enfant

A few months ago, before getting a new XL unit I started playing on the original New 3DS (the white Ambassador Edition) again. I was used to the IPS panel of my Majora XL so it was intriguing to go back to that little TN panel.
Aside from the differences we all know, I quickly noticed how inferior it was when playing Isaac Rebirth: the ghosting when moving Isaac and shooting tears was immediately noticeable and kind of annoying. It looked more or less like on my HDTV, which is great but old and suffers from that.

The difference when coming back to IPS with my XL Hyrule Edition is huge.
This problem is completely gone.

Actually the argument saying that TN panels have better reponse time is completely false regarding the 3DS screens, things are reversed actually.
What we call TN panel on 3DS is just a worse, inferior quality screen with ghosting issues, where what we call IPS panel is definitely the superior model in about every way and it's a shame that it isn't on all New XL units, even more considering the price.

The comparison with TN/IPS panels on other devices isn't very relevant sadly.
Do what you can to get a top IPS panel and pray for the NX to have a good, consistent screen.

Has anybody had brightness bleed on the bottom screen of a N3DS? Mine has a noticeable bleed on the left borders of the screen with the lights off. With the lights on or if it's daytime you couldn't even tell.

I got a pretty good deal on a dual IPS Mario 3D Land N3DS bundle off of ebay. It's a huge improvement for sure, but IPS has it's drawbacks too. Backlight bleeding seems to be more pronounced when it's there (and is there on my bottom screen, unfortunately), and the color temperature seems bluish even if the colors are much better overall. My top screen also seems to darken a bit towards the bottom, and this seems pretty common among the many of seen online. Uniformity could be much better, especially on such a small screen. Overall, the screens weren't really worth the extra cost I paid for this, and that is coming from someone who is pretty picky about the quality of his displays. Just wanted to share my experience for those stressin' about the "inferior" screens. There are pros and cons to both.

I got a pretty good deal on a dual IPS Mario 3D Land N3DS bundle off of ebay. It's a huge improvement for sure, but IPS has it's drawbacks too. Backlight bleeding seems to be more pronounced when it's there (and is there on my bottom screen, unfortunately), and the color temperature seems bluish even if the colors are much better overall. My top screen also seems to darken a bit towards the bottom, and this seems pretty common among the many of seen online. Uniformity could be much better, especially on such a small screen. Overall, the screens weren't really worth the extra cost I paid for this, and that is coming from someone who is pretty picky about the quality of his displays. Just wanted to share my experience for those stressin' about the "inferior" screens. There are pros and cons to both.

I paid a premium for a dual-IPS Pokémon anniversary new 3DS back in February and have definitely noticed the backlight bleeding. I'd send it in for repairs but my concern is that they might replace the screens entirely. I also have an extremely loose hinge and I'm not sure if that's covered under warranty.

Mmmm yes. My new unit has this issue as well along the bottom of the top display. I strangely feel a little better knowing it's somewhat common, but it's still a bummer Nintendo can't get this 100% right.

Here's hoping the NX is a bit more consistent in quality.

Plumpman

I was wondering what was going on!
My friend got a new3DSXL for MonHunGen, and his screen looked really washed out with bad viewing angles, while mine was more vibrant and had nice angles. I thought all 3DS were made equal. This just reflects poorly on Nintendo. :(

Damnit, I was tempted to buy one of these, but now I'm scared of inferior screens. Have we decided on a definitive model yet?

Just get a N3DS model that you like and don't worry too much about the screens. As I said above, even the IPS screens aren't perfect and I regret paying a premium for them. Obviously I'd have been really happy to luck into IPS screens at MSRP, but for all the trouble I went through of ordering on ebay, returning my TN version, and being $100 poorer, it just wasn't worth it.

On a positive note, the smaller N3DS is a nice looking device and is one of the cooler portables I've ever owned.

kaioshade

I was wondering what was going on!
My friend got a new3DSXL for MonHunGen, and his screen looked really washed out with bad viewing angles, while mine was more vibrant and had nice angles. I thought all 3DS were made equal. This just reflects poorly on Nintendo. :(

I have yet to see a single Monster Hunter Generations 3DS have IPS screens. I went through 18 of them.

Im not even kidding.

A good TN panel has just as good color reproduction as an IPS panel when viewed straight on and has superior response times which is more important for gaming.
I've already received comments on how much better the screen looks on my N3DS with IPS when playing Zero Time Dilemma with a friend sitting next to me - I'm sure it'd be the same for anyone looking over your shoulder. Never say never!

Damnit, I was tempted to buy one of these, but now I'm scared of inferior screens. Have we decided on a definitive model yet?

I actually did the same thing as the poster above and paid about 75 more on eBay than the msrp. Worth every penny.

I don't notice the light bleed and wasn't even aware this was a problem until the post above. What I can notice is that the super stable 3D actually works. I haven't returned my TN model yet so having them side by side is really a stark difference. The color is so much better and the screen looks sharper.

So basically there's no consensus still but thought I'd give a counter opinion. Paying the extra was so worth it to actually have a 3DS that works as advertised. For a handheld I'm gonna use for years and years $75 extra was a small price to pay. If you can find one for msrp that's even better.

Link_enfant

I paid a premium for a dual-IPS Pokémon anniversary new 3DS back in February and have definitely noticed the backlight bleeding. I'd send it in for repairs but my concern is that they might replace the screens entirely. I also have an extremely loose hinge and I'm not sure if that's covered under warranty.

What is backlight bleeding exactly? Pics would be great :)

Dekuboy

Neo Member
I´ve thinking about buying a n3ds/n3dsXL but I´ve got a question.

Is there a difference between og3ds and n3ds if they are both tfn displays? In some pics there are better color in the n3ds in some it looks same.
Playing old DS games on 3ds is really underwhelming because of the washed out colours.

I´ve thinking about buying a n3ds/n3dsXL but I´ve got a question.

Is there a difference between og3ds and n3ds if they are both tfn displays? In some pics there are better color in the n3ds in some it looks same.
Playing old DS games on 3ds is really underwhelming because of the washed out colours.
I had a regular N3DS; the colors suck; the screen is definitely worse than DSi.

The screen scratches very easily too; so definitely buy a pair of screen protectors.

Dekuboy

Neo Member
I had a regular N3DS; the colors suck; the screen is definitely worse than DSi.

The screen scratches very easily too; so definitely buy a pair of screen protectors.

thanks! So I can asssume it is the same as o3DS? I already got an o3DS but I hate these washed out colours. Especially DS games look like shit.

Palladium

Neo Member
I was aware of the screen lottery when before I bought my new 3DSXL, but the top screen doesn't show the nasty color inversion viewed from bottom angle inherent to TN panels and yet it's also too washed out from off angles for an IPS panel. It looks exactly like the VA type display on the Xperia SP which I have previously owned.

Correct me if I'm wrong but so far in this thread nothing suggests TN panels were used for either top or bottom for the n3DSXLs, because otherwise the color inversion would be extremely obvious. I'm more inclined to believe it's VA vs IPS, albeit terrible ones compared to even $120 smartphones.

On a Reddit link I saw everyone was mentioning "YW2011" etc - is this in reference to serial numbers?

Obviously I would like an IPS display (like my DSi LL, ThinkPad X230, Lenovo Tab 2 A10-70 and Dell U2410) but I can't see the above as any relevance when looking at the serial numbers of units on UK eBay.

Any help appreciated!

thought i'd drop in to say i just got my pikachu new 3DS LL (japan region) and it is very hot and yellow, but both screens are definitely TN T_T weak.

I was aware of the screen lottery when before I bought my new 3DSXL, but the top screen doesn't show the nasty color inversion viewed from bottom angle inherent to TN panels and yet it's also too washed out from off angles for an IPS panel. It looks exactly like the VA type display on the Xperia SP which I have previously owned.

Correct me if I'm wrong but so far in this thread nothing suggests TN panels were used for either top or bottom for the n3DSXLs, because otherwise the color inversion would be extremely obvious. I'm more inclined to believe it's VA vs IPS, albeit terrible ones compared to even $120 smartphones.

not all TN screens are like that — the macbook air doesn't have dramatic colour inversion, for example, but it washes out similarly at off-angles and it's just generally not very vibrant.

Kazooie

Banned
Can someone help me out please. Just got a new 3ds and don't rate the screen as highly as my OG. Is there a difference or am I going mad?

VWpWSUO.jpg

MzM9OU9.jpg

jbueno

My N3DSXL unit I got a year ago is just fine, but that Black Friday deal is tempting and I'm thinking of trading it in. I'm not sure, but think the top screen is an IPS display and the bottom one is a TN, anyone can help out?

My N3DSXL unit I got a year ago is just fine, but that Black Friday deal is tempting and I'm thinking of trading it in. I'm not sure, but think the top screen is an IPS display and the bottom one is a TN, anyone can help out?

Sell it to me (if it's IPS).

I actually did the same thing as the poster above and paid about 75 more on eBay than the msrp. Worth every penny.

I don't notice the light bleed and wasn't even aware this was a problem until the post above. What I can notice is that the super stable 3D actually works. I haven't returned my TN model yet so having them side by side is really a stark difference. The color is so much better and the screen looks sharper.

So basically there's no consensus still but thought I'd give a counter opinion. Paying the extra was so worth it to actually have a 3DS that works as advertised. For a handheld I'm gonna use for years and years $75 extra was a small price to pay. If you can find one for msrp that's even better.

I did the same, bought EBay SM3DL dual IPS. Arrived today, the screens are warmer but everything is less hazy and looks better....compared to my Animal Crossing TN.

Dilemma:

The SM3DL has noticeably looser hinge (dual IPS), where the ACHHD 3DS has a DSLite caliber hinge. Rock solid.

Ideally, I'd love both the better screen and hinge to be on the same device, but lord Kimishima as not blessed me, with such.

Which one do I pass on to my stepson?

Top Bottom