• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Core i7-6950X (Broadwell-E) to be first Intel consumer CPU with 10 cores (rumor)

Caayn

For example: A single GPU on PCIE will typically be allotted 16x pcie express lanes. On a 5820K moving to a dual GPU solution will result in each GPU being allotted 8x lanes each. On a 6850K, which has 40 PCIE lanes, a dual GPU solution will have 16x per GPU. This should in theory provide higher bandwidth but there has not been any real evidence to suggest one is faster than the other.
I last came across a benchmark that showed that having 40 lanes did have an impact on performance in games when running in 16x/16x compared to 16x/8x and 8x/8x

Will try to find the benchmark and post it when I found it.

Edit: Read this thread and most notably Blair's posts.

http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-509912-p-9.html

These prices are fucking hilarious

Which is way so many are saying that AMD has a real chance of disrupting the CPU space, especially since early indicators suggest that Zen has comparable performance to the 5960X. If they price their CPUs accordingly then it should sell like hot cakes

mdzapeer

Best Investment I made, this also sealed me in with a single GPU and I could not be happier,SLI was driving me crazy with most games lacking support.

What was your max OC on the 5820K Durante? I got mine at 4.3GHZ and I'm quite satisfied with it, I was going to replace it with the 8 core Broadwell-E, however no way I'm paying a grand for a cpu.

I have mine at 4.3 as well, pretty easily too could probably push it to 4.7 with more voltage and further tweaking but...why? its already chews through everything.

Smokey

My 4930k/X79 is ageing...thinking about jumping to Broadwell-E. Coming from ivy-E, this seems like it'd be a nice upgrade. I'd mainly be doing it for motherboard features and DDR4. I'm already at 6 cores anyway. Pretty tempted and may go ahead and do it whenever Pascal Titan releases.

I have mine at 4.3 as well, pretty easily too could probably push it to 4.7 with more voltage and further tweaking but...why? its already chews through everything.

I have my 5820K humming along at 4.375 full time since my Corsair DDR4 3000mhz memory has an XMP for BCLK 125. I had it at 4.5 but figured it wasn't worth it so dialed it back. Pretty much smashes anything I can throw at it.

My overclocked 5820k is underwhelmed by these benchmarks.

yep

I last came across a benchmark that showed that having 40 lanes did have an impact on performance in games when running in 16x/16x compared to 16x/8x and 8x/8x

Will try to find the benchmark and post it when I found it.

Edit: Read this thread and most notably Blair's posts.

http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-509912-p-9.html

Will need to translate from German to English, but thanks for the link.

dr_rus

Still confused about what makes more sense for gaming, 6 physical cores or 4 physical + 4 virtual ones...

These 6 have HT too so it's 6+6 vs 4+4. I'd say that 6 makes more sense for gaming these days than 4 but then you have to consider that 4 usually have higher clocks which result in them actually providing higher results in lots of games. Still, I prefer the HEDT platform way to much to even consider going with a cheap socket. General gaming difference is minimal anyway as most games are GPU limited.

Will I get better performance in games if I upgrade from an i5-3570k (@4.6) to an i7-6800 or i7-6850? (GPU is a Titan X)

Depends on your resolution and how CPU limited the games you play are.

In general there is some gain in CPU limited scenarios:

index.php

And no gains in GPU limited modes:

index.php

Then there are games which prefer higher clocks over more cores:

index.php

My 4930k/X79 is ageing...thinking about jumping to Broadwell-E. Coming from ivy-E, this seems like it'd be a nice upgrade. I'd mainly be doing it for motherboard features and DDR4. I'm already at 6 cores anyway. Pretty tempted and may go ahead and do it whenever Pascal Titan releases.

Same here but I'm on a quad core 3820 and my MB was unstable for the last half a year or so. Waiting for Skylake-E seems pointless anyway, considering the news.

Durante

Best Investment I made, this also sealed me in with a single GPU and I could not be happier,SLI was driving me crazy with most games lacking support.

What was your max OC on the 5820K Durante? I got mine at 4.3GHZ and I'm quite satisfied with it, I was going to replace it with the 8 core Broadwell-E, however no way I'm paying a grand for a cpu.
I can run it at 4.4, but not at temperatures/voltages/noise I'm happy with. So I keep mine at 4.2, because it's honestly enough for everything ;)

But yeah, buying the 5820k at launch (back before the € lost a lot of value relative to the USD) seems to be turning out just as well as the i7 920 purchase which was my previous CPU. Just as planned.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I can run it at 4.4, but not at temperatures/voltages/noise I'm happy with. So I keep mine at 4.2, because it's honestly enough for everything ;)

But yeah, buying the 5820k at launch (back before the € lost a lot of value relative to the USD) seems to be turning out just as well as the i7 920 purchase which was my previous CPU. Just as planned.

What temperatures are you happy with? My 5930 runs at 70s under load @4.6Ghz-

jett

D-Member
Man. AMD getting blamed for everything these days.

*Intel releases pointless CPU upgrade at ridiculous prices*

"FUCK AMD!"

It is a shame though that Intel holds a virtual monopoly on the market. This is what we get. Who knows if AMD will ever be competitive again in this space.

Smokey

Same here but I'm on a quad core 3820 and my MB was unstable for the last half a year or so. Waiting for Skylake-E seems pointless anyway, considering the news.

Interesting.

I have a decision to make. Seems like the motherboards on the HEDT platform are able to support 2 CPUs (SB/Ivy and now Haswell/Broadwell). I jumped in on Ivy-E with my 4930k and Rampage IV Black Edition. I think X99 replaced X79 the very next year. Don't really want to be buying into a soon to be obsolete socket so close to the next release...

d00d3n

These 6 have HT too so it's 6+6 vs 4+4. I'd say that 6 makes more sense for gaming these days than 4 but then you have to consider that 4 usually have higher clocks which result in them actually providing higher results in lots of games. Still, I prefer the HEDT platform way to much to even consider going with a cheap socket. General gaming difference is minimal anyway as most games are GPU limited.

index.php

index.php

index.php

Thanks!

mrklaw

MrArseFace

So do we really want CPUs with more cores that can selectively disable some cores to achieve higher clocks, depending on the software? Eg have an 8+8 CPU that can run at a lower clock speed but with 16 threads in efficiently multithreaded software, or can run at 4+4 threads at a higher clock for less efficient software that benefits from fewer fast threads.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Everything below 80C under full load. Note that I use a rather small case so I can't put a full Goliath-sized HSF on mine.

A X99E-ITX motherboard? Those are very cool! I have a gigantic full tower because I bought it without looking at the size of it. I was surprised when I saw it upon delivery... On the plus size, is way more quiet than my Ps4 even when pushing the system :p

Well it seems that me and my Sandy 3930K gonna stick together till 2020 lol.

Can't wait until Quantum CPUs.

StereoVsn

Hmm.. Looks like I might as well go with a 5820 or 5930 now instead of Broadwell, it's just too overpriced for what it offers. I can get a 5820 for around $300 and 5930 for around $470-480. I don't see the 6800 or 6850 worth it from that perspective.

Either way it should be an upgrade from my 3770 for both games as well as some non gaming tasks (a bit of 3D rendering, some encoding, etc). On the plus side, DDR4 is damn cheap now and I can get 32GB for $200. Not too shabby considering I remember paying $50/MB when I was working as a lowly tech at CompUSA ;P.

ElFly

as a 5820K owner the 10-15% IPC improvement is not worth the upgrade, at least at 6800 and 6850K level. I can see my CPU lasting for another 3-4 years no problem.

They are physical and electronic communication lanes used by peripherals to communicate to CPU, North bridge, Memory, and other components. The more lanes you have the more theoretical bandwidth your system can support.

For example: A single GPU on PCIE will typically be allotted 16x pcie express lanes. On a 5820K moving to a dual GPU solution will result in each GPU being allotted 8x lanes each. On a 6850K, which has 40 PCIE lanes, a dual GPU solution will have 16x per GPU. This should in theory provide higher bandwidth but there has not been any real evidence to suggest one is faster than the other.

Tl;DR if you plan on running more that 3 GPUs and want the best performance money can buy get a CPU with support for 40 lanes. If you plan on running a single or dual gpu and want excellent performance at more reaonable prices go for 28 lanes.

Oh, thank you very much.

Ignoring the fact that you're talking about new vs. used CPUs (which,honestly, should not be ignored), can you point me to where I can pick up a 2699 v3 for cheaper?

I got one for $1400 from this seller from a best offer, but I've seen them for less (Non-enginering samples of course)
I very rarely use my computer for gaming, and I don't really know how games scale on this many cores, although from what I hear a lot of games don't utilize this many cores yet?

I was going to go with the 6950X, but for rendering they would scale the same. I wouldn't overclock, so this actually ends up giving me a bit more power for a lower price.

btw: 2699 and 2696 are the same.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTEL-XEON-...063433?hash=item1a1442ac09:g:nfkAAOSwn1RXIr4t

nubbe

Can't see a reason to upgrade from 3930k... maybe skylake-e will have a decent jump that can motivate a €1500-2000 price tag

Ragnarok

I got one for $1400 from this seller from a best offer, but I've seen them for less (Non-enginering samples of course)
I very rarely use my computer for gaming, so this works for me. I was going to go with the 6950X, but for rendering they would scale the same. I wouldn't overclock, so this actually ends up giving me a bit more power for a lower price.

btw: 2699 and 2696 are the same.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTEL-XEON-...063433?hash=item1a1442ac09:g:nfkAAOSwn1RXIr4t
Wow I've only ever seen engineering samples that low priced. Thanks a lot! I need a new 3D render work station and 2 of those in a box would be amazing.

Momentary

Banned
The 6950X would be awesome to handle work at home. But damn the price. I wonder if I could claim this as a work expense. Hell, they already insured my personal PC. It wouldn't hurt to ask when the time to build comes.

Man, Broadwell-E is seriously unimpressive for the price hike over Haswell-E. I'm super happy I got a good deal on a 5820K and mobo and DDR4 around Christmas.

index.php

index.php

index.php

Damn, I'm really pleased with how my 4790k is still performing. At or around the top of the heap. Won't be needing to upgrade in a long, long time.

mdzapeer

Heh, I also went from a 920 to this...great minds and all that, Same as my friend too.

The 920 is still decent....how long has it been since it came out? 2008 right? What a legendary CPU...and the 8800 GT from Nvidia what a combo that was still potent.

Caayn

Damn, I'm really pleased with how my 4790k is still performing. At or around the top of the heap. Won't be needing to upgrade in a long, long time.
To be fair. It's only a generation old if we're not counting the X99 platform.

Although I'm surprised that it outperforms the 6700k which is paired with DDR4 memory.

My 4790k is my first Intel CPU before that I've always used AMD CPU's (last was a Phenom II 965). I'm quite pleased with how well it performs.

Pagusas

Elden Member
so for a person on a 2600k (running at 4.7) whos looking to upgrade this year on about a 2k budget, would you:

A. Go x99, 6850k, 1080gtx (TI if available by years end)

or

B. Go z170, 6700k and 1080gtx.

Only reason I lean towards b is cost savings, which I dont care about too much, and also the extra PCIE lanes dont seem to mean as much to someone who will only ever be a single GPU users.

Heck I'm considering only doing a GPU upgrade as the 2600k is still rocketing along without issue, and spending 300+ on another 4 core just seems silly, even with improvments. But a 6 core would be a lot more future proof... I'd love the cpu to last another 5+ years.

No matter what my goal for this next build is to make a great dual purpose gaming and video editing machine (I have my own home studio, current PC also does dual duty and is amazing at it). The other goal is I want this to be a micro ATX build, as small and sleek as possible. I've seen so many well done dual radiator microatx builds in gorgious, tight cases, its a must now.

dr_rus

so for a person on a 2600k (running at 4.7) whos looking to upgrade this year on about a 2k budget, would you:

or

Only reason I lean towards b is cost savings, which I dont care about too much, and also the extra PCIE lanes dont seem to mean as much to someone who will only ever be a single GPU users.

Heck I'm considering only doing a GPU upgrade as the 2600k is still rocketing along without issue, and spending 300+ on another 4 core just seems silly, even with improvments. But a 6 core would be a lot more future proof... I'd love the cpu to last another 5+ years.

No matter what my goal for this next build is to make a great dual purpose gaming and video editing machine (I have my own home studio, current PC also does dual duty and is amazing at it). The other goal is I want this to be a micro ATX build, as small and sleek as possible. I've seen so many well done dual radiator microatx builds in gorgious, tight cases, its a must now.
B will give mostly the same gaming performance for less money. A is if you do anything else beyond gaming and want to have some spare CPU power for the future - even though it's hard to say if that future will even happen in games in the next 5 years.

Pagusas

Elden Member
B will give mostly the same gaming performance for less money. A is if you do anything else beyond gaming and want to have some spare CPU power for the future - even though it's hard to say if that future will even happen in games in the next 5 years.

Thats what I figured, Its been extremely nice not having to upgrade the rig in so long. This thing has been rock solid now for years and the most efficient work horse i've ever made. He'll I've made my career on this computer, After Effects and Premiere. Just amazing thinking how long its lasted.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Recently upgraded to a 6700k, but I probably would have grabbed the 6850k if it were out at the time.

Glad to see it (currently) doesn't seem to be terribly advantageous to the 6700k due to lower clock speeds, probably.

tokkun

or

I am only on a 2500K, and went with the GPU only 980Ti path last year. I found that I was inventing a bunch of arguments about why I should upgrade when my current PC did everything I wanted it to. I'd be happy to pay for it if I felt like there would really be a tangible improvement, but I don't want to be a consumer zombie who buys stuff just because it's new.

Seems like Broadwell-E is another disappointment, so I guess I'll wait and see if Zen offers something worthwhile unless my system breaks in the meantime.

Broadwell-E overclocking top range seems to be 4.1-4.2Ghz.

Haswell-E top OC range from 4.4-4.5Ghz. Even with the architectural improvements, you are losing 300-400Mhz of frequency.

Significantly cheaper Haswell-E is the best bet if you want more than 4-cores atm.

tuxfool

Banned
6850K seems like the best bet for work and play. 40 PCI-E lanes too. I need that for SLI, M.2, etc.

Or you could just save yourself some money and go with a 5830K, if you can find one. The chipset is the same so you won't get any wins from Broadwell that way (unless you don't really like overclocking).

If you don't so Sli is there any news for 40 lanes?
You can even do SLi with 28 lanes. Usually in a 8x-8x configuration, however some motherboards even allow for both to be 16x via a PLX switch.

Celcius

°Temp. member
What speed do you think a BW-E cpu would have to be overclocked to for matching a 2600k @ 4.6ghz in single-threaded performance?
I'm kinda tempted to just upgrade my RAM from 1600mhz to 2133mhz and keep on trucking lol

Top Bottom