• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuc

They can make a cycle; just call their new spirits "Sunlight Maiden", "Mist Maiden", "Smoke Maiden" and "Vernal Maiden" so that players do not need a dictionary to figure them out. The same applies to too many things in Kamigawa.

Like, one of my pet peeves is Hana Kami. The card is called 花の神 Hana no Kami in the Japanese version, because "Hana Kami" is not how people actually refer to flower spirits in Japanese - they wanted their creation to be exotic, but the result is neither English nor Japanese. Why couldn't it be something plain like "Flower Kami"?

Judged by itself, despite producing some cool artwork, Kamigawa is not exactly a homerun on Japanese legends-based seetting either. Without cultural advisors like they now have with Kaladesh, WotC Creative overreached.

In overall, I think they'd be more successful if they simply hired some Japanese writers to develop a low-risk white-bread setting with Onmyoudo wizards (Yin-Yang magic), ninja, kappa, tengu (crow monks) and tanuki (shapeshifting raccoon dogs).

Hana Kami was one of my favourite cards at the time based on the art, so much so that I learned the meaning because of it.

Interesting interaction that came up yesterday on SCG was awakening a westvale abbey. You don't end up with a 13/11 Ormendahl but a 4/4 one.

Joe Molotov

Interesting interaction that came up yesterday on SCG was awakening a westvale abbey. You don't end up with a 13/11 Ormendahl but a 4/4 one.

I don't get how that would work. If you awakened Westvale Abbey it would become a 0/0 creature with 4 +1/+1 counters, but when you flip it, why would it not have Ormendahl's base stats?

I don't get how that would work. If you awakened Westvale Abbey it would become a 0/0 creature with 4 +1/+1 counters, but when you flip it, why would it not have Ormendahl's base stats?

Layers. The 9/7 base power and toughness is the bottom "intrinsic" layer but there is still an effect making the permanent a 0/0 in effect. That overwrites it because the effect is on a higher layer.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Only makes sense to people deeply familiar a Japanese folklore, instead of causal Japanese pop culture.

Ok but thats what is great about it. At least its more interesting than doing a shallow, surface level appropriation of visuals.

Ok but thats what is great about it. At least its more interesting than doing a shallow, surface level appropriation of visuals.

MaRo likes to say your greatest weakness is your greatest strength taken too far. They went too far making the flavor "interesting", so for many people, everything blended together into a blob of "weird Japanese thing".

So Owen Turtenwald won the WMCQ over here, which makes me twice as salty about only being a couple match wins short of being able to enter. That's like Daigo showing up to your weekly street fighter tournament but your mom saying you have to mow the lawn.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";207686073]So Owen Turtenwald won the WMCQ over here, which makes me twice as salty about only being a couple match wins short of being able to enter. That's like Daigo showing up to your weekly street fighter tournament but your mom saying you have to mow the lawn.[/QUOTE]

I bet you Owen smells like patchouli and bong water.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
But it's just alien and weird.

Surface levels helps you define it in game.

Thats what stood out to me though. It actually felt like an alien plane. A lot of magic settings feel like they could just be different continents on the same planet.

Ashodin

Surprise, surprise, WOTC doesn't care about coverage Part Deux:

https://twitter.com/SamuelHBlack/status/744462783668846593

Now I know this is about WOTC just giving their contractors a little gathering for food and drank, (plus #MTGEMA drafting because you know, the people don't need that, right?) but I still think the tone deafness that goes on with the lack of even considering coverage to be an important thing is laughable. Their coverage is total shit compared to CFB / SCG, and they refuse to acknowledge their superiors.

EVERY GP should be covered. Every one.

kirblar

They had budget cuts this year.

This is what is blatantly obvious behind the PR speak.

They no longer have public facing CMs to handle the crap Trick is terrible at.

Ashodin

They had budget cuts this year.

This is what is blatantly obvious behind the PR speak.

They no longer have public facing CMs to handle the crap Trick is terrible at.

The people who would fill those spots wisely ask for monetary compensation instead of working for free, too.

Yeef

Do we know when the Access: Emrakul video is going up? Will it be 11am (Eastern) like the normal mothership updates or will it be a different time?

Oh my God the fucking coverage summit whining

"As a person who contributes three whole digits of revenue a year," the Redditors and tweeters said, "I am extremely furious that you allowed employees to use the word summit when people who are not employees were not invited to this employee only event"

Ffs

Helene running more damage control but there is no excuse for not inviting anyone from SCG to a "coverage summit". Although knowing WotC this summit is probably just them drunk drafting and patting themselves on the back.

kirblar

Helene running more damage control but there is no excuse for not inviting anyone from SCG to a "coverage summit". Although knowing WotC this summit is probably just them drunk drafting and patting themselves on the back.
It's an internal meeting! When my team at work goes to IHop to discuss things, we don't invite everyone!

It's really such a small deal, mtg coverage is dead anyway and CFB is the gold standard nowadays.

For jamming content in and making sure you're not bored? They have that. They also have platinum pros and hall of famers at their fingertips for the booth.

Their production team has a looooong way to go. Mic cuts, dead air, flubbed segments and transitions, the stream literally going offline more than once per day, ignoring rounds 1-3... The behind the camera people have a long way to go to catch up to SCG, even PT coverage from WotC.

For jamming content in and making sure you're not bored? They have that. They also have platinum pros and hall of famers at their fingertips for the booth.

Their production team has a looooong way to go. Mic cuts, dead air, flubbed segments and transitions, the stream literally going offline more than once per day, ignoring rounds 1-3... The behind the camera people have a long way to go to catch up to SCG, even PT coverage from WotC.

SCG recently has gone down multiple times as well they lost like 6 rounds just a few weeks ago. The way CFB handled GP LA was how it's supposed to be done. There was no dead air, there wasn't even a break. They always had a new game running, didn't even need to do many deck techs and certainly not SCG's let's run the same game again for the 6th time.

OnPoint

SCG recently has gone down multiple times as well they lost like 6 rounds just a few weeks ago. The way CFB handled GP LA was how it's supposed to be done. There was no dead air, there wasn't even a break. They always had a new game running, didn't even need to do many deck techs and certainly not SCG's let's run the same game again for the 6th time.

The GP LA broadcast was how it should be done always in the future for any coverage. That there was always a match on that I hadn't seen was incredible. I'm so sick of seeing them reply that Patrick Sullivan match from last year with Cedric and Chapin on commentary where he wins with RDW because someone makes a boneheaded move. Or the round 2 match from the day replayed like 4 times total during a broadcast. Show me other stuff damn it.

I agree that the effort to show matches as often as possible is preferred. I liked the coverage at GP LA. There were still problems that could be ironed out. And one good GP does not a pattern make. I think they've had that and maybe 2 other broadcasts that weren't shaky. They need to keep it up to gain any of my trust that they can do this enough to preach to others how it's done.

Daedardus

Daedardus

To get started, watch some French Youtubers. Some pretty good stuff out there, and it helped getting my French back on track. Like said before, it's best to get started sooner rather than later if you have the time. For me, I'm still studying even though I want to improve my German and might take up some others too. One of my life goals is to at least (somewhat) speak 7 or 8 languages. Currently at 4 so it's feasible once I have the time to invest.

On topic, I wonder if they'll make Emrakul even more broken than ever, or if they'll tone down like they somewhat did with the other Eldrazi. Will it become even more costly? Or just do something really weird?

Impressive, I basically was able to pass spanish in school because of already learning french and latin, but I couldn't talk shit in spanish.

English is already 2nd nature to me and german is my mother tongue. Tried learning japanese for awhile but it's really cumbersome.

The new Ulamog is vastly superior to the OG one imo. It's an uncounterable double vindicate that kills in roughly 2 swings. No matter whether there are blockers.

If that teaser video hadn't confirmed that it wasn't a flip card, my pet theory would be that Emrakul is a flipwalker and would flip on some kind of combat trigger. You could fetch it with Nahiri, attack, flip and get around the "return to hand" part of Nahiri's ult.

Daedardus

Oh yeah, I forgot he basically exiles two permanents on cast. Was going to say he seemed less annoying because he didn't have Annihilator (it mostly crumbled your blockers or your land so he could go for the open swing, and that mde it difficult to answer it within one turn), but it can still cripple you. Kozilek seems less annoying without Annihilator though.

And I learned Dutch, English, French and German at school, although my German is rather basic. I want to improve it a lot though, since it's very useful when you're a mechanical/power engineer. After that I want to learn Spanish and Portuguese and have some better understanding of Chinese. Mostly all for possible business benefit and to have a higher chance of at least being able to communicate with someone across the world. Arabic seems useful too, but I think it's waaay too hard to learn reading and speaking, so it's out of my league.

red13th

Emrakul 13 mana
13/13
costs 1 less per type of card in your GY
when you cast, mindslaver target opponent, he gets an extra turn after that.
flying trample prot from instants

ClZrAZkXIAAjKeD.jpg:large

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom