• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

red13th

reposting:

ClZrAZkXIAAjKeD.jpg:large

unexciting for my cube, but pretty cool IMO.

Looks way better than the last one but is kinda meh. Makes the Nahrung ultimate like 13 damage also kinda unimpressive.

So it costs 9 when you have delirium Even with a graveyard based deck I hardly ever went above 5 types in the yard and even had troublesome at time to hit delirium. A ramp deck will have an even harder time to get different types into the yard so even if you cast it Newlamog is just better in most circumstances.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I guess I just don't get the Emrakul card or why it exists with that design.

....ugh the Gatewatch Dork Team has arrived on Innistrad to be goofball babyfaces.

jph139

Yeah, it's hard to follow the original Emrakul, but I can't help but find her kind of... meh. Certainly not a must-have.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Emrakul is driving people insane, hench the Mindslaver effect. Madness feeds it, making it cheaper.

It's not very good though. Like, unless there's some kind of weird Entomb card, you can only get 6 types. The cheapest it goes is 7 and that's if you have Dredge or something.

Daedardus

So the point of Nahiri is fill up your graveyard, summon Emrakul, which doesn't impact the board like her previous version, then try to hard cast it? I wonder what the artifact is for.

No real reason to get it with Nahiri.

It's 13 trampling damage and then you get to cast it for like 8 mana and get the Mindslaver effect the next turn. It's not as good an interaction as the Modern version because Standard isn't Modern.

It's not very good though. Like, unless there's some kind of weird Entomb card, you can only get 6 types. The cheapest it goes is 7 and that's if you have Dredge or something.

WotC avoiding designs where you easily play giant game-ending things for free is a good thing. :p

Angry Grimace

It's 13 trampling damage and then you get to cast it for like 8 mana and get the Mindslaver effect the next turn. It's not as good an interaction as the Modern version because Standard isn't Modern.

WotC avoiding designs where you easily play giant game-ending things for free is a good thing. :p

I can't imagine jumping through the fuckload of hoops required is ever gonna be worth it. It's 2 different hoops to jump through simultaneously - getting 7 mana and getting 6 types in your yard.

I didn't think Ulamog would see any play either so who knows. At least Emrakul is more fun in a casual sense.

So the point of Nahiri is fill up your graveyard, summon Emrakul, which doesn't impact the board like her previous version, then try to hard cast it? I wonder what the artifact is for.

Synergy with Kaladesh block maybe?

Adaren

"We are'mrakul!" Voices rose up from the world below, melding into one sound, one truth. "One'mrakul, be'mrakul, we'mrakul!"

Cringe'mrakul.

I like the card. Blowing all of your opponent's non-instant removal on their own creatures sounds fun.

I was surprised to see that they made a new trailer, which can be seen at the end of the Access Magic video. I thought it was pretty good, cheese of Liliana's VA aside.

New Emrakul certainly won't be a replacement for the old one, but it's a pretty neat card. As for Nahiri, remember that her effect returns it to your hand after it attacks, so you deal 13 damage and then you can cast Emrakul next turn (for cheaper due to your looting, presumably).

We're getting a premium double-sided zombie token in the prerelease pack, BTW. It isn't double-faced, just two different arts.

I'll have to read the story. I'll give my summary and reaction later.

Adaren

In that moment, there was nothing Jace wanted more than to do as she said. He wanted to go, to leave this world, leave the titan. Return to the world they had already saved: Zendikar. Sea Gate. The merfolk the kor and the vampires together. Nissa would be there, her green eyes aglow. And Gideon with his broad shoulders and ready smile, and—

Gatewatch has still got that sexual tension
'mrakul

The thing with newmrakul is that to waste the sorcery speed removal you still need legal targets. If it's about getting her out fast the opponent won't have the mana for you to get the most value out of emrakul and there's a strong deck in the meta that really just cares about attacking every turn anyway.

Also there's still
in rotation

Go wide decks have Ormendahl to stonewall emrakul too.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
lol the set up of shadows was promising. Now we have superfriends of the one dimensional watch and lame attempts at Cthulhu speak.

Now, now, I thought the story did a good job presenting the horror and creepiness. Aside from the vocal tick, which was just horrid.

Magic Story - Marit Lage Rises - With Avacyn's death, the last seal protecting Innistrad falls. We revisit characters from previous Magic stories, including the child who fled a town attacked by angels while his mother stayed behind, the girl from the Gitrog Frog story, and monster hunters Hal and Alena. As we've seen, two of the Powerpuff Girls have merged into one horrific Angel Eldrazi.

Then, we cut back to Jace and co. Jace is having a hard time keeping Emrakul's madness out of his head. Him seeing Bruna and Gisela causes him to drop his defenses to try and parse what it is, but he recovers. Tamiyo is handling herself better than him. It turns out that after killing Avacyn, Sorin just left without saying anything. They see Emrakul, and Jace notes how everything seems to be warping to head toward her, and even he feels drawn. Jace feels that if he's acting like this, would the others of the Gatewatch be of any help?

Tamiyo notes that Emrakul was a name given to the Eldrazi, and wonders what she calls herself. Jace thinks this and in response gets a speech about how everything will belong to it, and that it is the end. Jace realizes he does need to get the rest of the Gatewatch. Tamiyo protects his mind during the planeswalking process. Jace planeswalks and meets Chandra.

New art:
c4rda4r7_p28Lubv7PG.jpg
c4rd4r7_eF8xEYNBQk.jpg
c4rd4r7_wUabhf69Ep.jpg
c4rd4r7_RKjhNfODcm.jpg
c4rd4r7_yx5tKcdibd.jpg
c4rd4r7_aaFtCcikDA.jpg

Angry Grimace

Did Jace planeswalk to meet them, it sounded more like they just showed up on Innistrad...?

Edit: No, I guess they said he "showed up" so that would imply he went back to Zendikar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom