• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Crash Bandicoot: An Icon Decline" mini-documentary

Yeah I love the Crash games. It really went on a mediocre spiral. At least he never went into full stupidity like Sonic (as much as I love and play all Sonic games), it's just Crash just faded away.

MaxHouse

Banned
Crash was the defining Playstation Icon for the PS1 era

Kratos was the defining Playstation Icon for the PS2 era

Nathan Darke was the defining Playstation Icon for the PS3 era

is how I would define it...

Crash was definitely an Icon...

RK128

There's a lot of people here who seem uncapable to understand that some people may like some platformer more than any Mario. Shocking, right?

Wtf nope. Crash was famous as hell in Europe.

I wanted to avoid saying this, as I love the Mario games too, but yes, I'm in full agreement with you regarding this.

SNURB

I think the best thing for us excited about Crash's future and just platformers in general is do to this; leave this gaming forum when it comes to discussions about platformers. Because that is how I feel personally; so many here hate Crash and other 3D platformers, that their really is no point discussing them here anymore.

At least, that it what I been feeling the past few weeks and a huge reason I pulled the Crash Retrospective from NeoGaf & questing about posting future series of Retrospectives on this forum.
I'm sorry that this kind of ignorance forced you stop doing the retrospectives. They were wonderful to read and put a different perspective on the post ND games.

It literally blows that whenever someone here even mentions the two words, "CRASH BANDICOOT" you get this vocal group who seems to think that Crash is just some forgotten "90s attitude" character that no one cares about and that the games were terrible. And yet after the E3 announcement it's still going on.

Like, people are just fucking obnoxious and it's hard to have a decent conversation here when talking about the things you love and want to share.

RK128

I'm sorry that this kind of ignorance forced you stop doing the retrospectives. They were wonderful to read and put a different perspective on the post ND games.

It literally blows that whenever someone here even mentions the two words, "CRASH BANDICOOT" you get this vocal group who seems to think that Crash is just some forgotten "90s attitude" character that no one cares about and that the games were terrible. And yet after the E3 announcement it's still going on.

Like, people are just fucking obnoxious and it's hard to have a decent conversation here when talking about the things you love and want to share.

I didn't stop them; they moved elsewhere where people would like them more ;). Still, sucks that people on this forum hate a series for no good reason :l.

I am shocked saying this, but there was more hate for Crash Bandicoot on here then Sonic the Hedgehog. The later is a series EVERYONE loves to shit on and I thought everyone hated that.....but its far from the level that Crash is facing lately.

But this toxic attitude has me having future plans for Retrospectives (Rayman, Sly Cooper, Super Mario, Kirby) thinking they will never be on NeoGaf.

makes me think that there has only really been 3 Playstation Mascots

Nathan Drake, Kratos and Crash

My sackboy figurine is pissed

vkC2QY

I wanted to avoid saying this, as I love the Mario games too, but yes, I'm in full agreement with you regarding this.

Completely agree.

dude lost me when he said Mario 64 was visually "nonsense" and "forgettable"

come on bro
But it's true. I love Mario 64 but it did have a very bland and limited level design. That's not me bashing the game in anyway and in fact, you could argue it was intentional and therefore it was the games art style, but it still doesn't really have much of an impact on the game overall.

Yeah, I love Mario too, but I also enjoy playing Ratchet & Clank, and Crash and all kind of platformers, they all are good platformers in different ways.
The problem is these people who just say "lol how you guys can be asking for another Crash game, it was mediocre Mario 64 is the platformer that was awesome in the 90s yadda yadda". I mean, I love Mario 64 too, but fuck, I would be crazy if I could play another Crash like the first 3 games.

PSqueak

Banned
The first Crash looked like ass compared to Mario 64. The second Crash game improved on every area and is very crisp and nice looking even today, but it still is a small scale, oldschool platformer, whereas Mario 64 gave birth to a new generation and standard for platformers. Crash never looked impressive next to it and especially the N64 platformers that followed in Marios footprints.

Completely disagree.

Also, you're bringing up things that don't matter to the comparison of visuals, yes, SM64 is the superior game in gameplay, yes SM64 set the new standard for platformers, SM64 blew your mind because of the freedom of movement and 100% 3d gameplay and 3d exploration based level design, while crash lacked freedom and forced segments into specific camera angles. None of that has anything to do with making SM64 "have better visuals", that's gameplay, Crash looked way more advanced visually than SM64's painted polygons, very basic textures and abuse of sprites, but like, we didn't give a shit, those shortcuts SM64 is what allowed them to make the superior gameplay without straining the memory of the n64, while crash did the oposite (as explained in the video) restraining the gameplay and freedom as a trade off to build levels with better geometry and loading heavier textures.

Then what the fuck is Sonic then? That character is so dated that it fucking hurts and he's still not out of the 90s.

Ignorant shit like this pisses me off. Crash is more like a 1940s Roger Rabbit kind of cartoon character than some "Poochie" bullcrap.

Sonic is also very, very dated (seriously look up how he was designed) and suffers the same problem Crash does (who was also inspired partly inspired by Sonic). And if you think they weren't pushing the rad/extreme angle with Crash during the 90's uhh I don't know what to say.

Since when are video game characters not created to make good money during their time? Was Sonic was created in the 90s for the 2000s? Mario created in the 80s for the 2010s?

Mario is timeless though. Everything about him from his character design to the world he inhabits can look like it came out from any time period.

Sonic is also very, very dated (seriously look up how he was designed) and suffers the same problem Crash does (who was also inspired partly inspired by Sonic). And if you think they weren't pushing the rad/extreme angle with Crash during the 90's uhh I don't know what to say.

This. The rap battle minigame in Crash 2 was too much for me.

Defect

Twinsanity was great. Obviously needed more time in development but I think it's on par with the first three games.

It was funny, weird, tried something new ("open world") and was fun to play. The humor didn't feel forced or like it didn't fit.

I wish he talked more about the post ND games and what they did wrong/right.

MaxHouse

Banned

I don't understand are you saying...are you saying because Crash got to "extreme" he became less popular

but Sony's Icon for the PS2 era was this man

latest

and he literally just had one of the largest reactions at E3 recently...

RK128

.....I just want to laugh, as its a bit refreshing to see people talk crap about Sonic instead of Crash for once :).

Sonic's design stemmed from being a hyrbid of Felix the Cat/Mickey Mouse, elements from Santa Claus & Michel Jackson and his color being a representation from SEGA.

The 16-Bit games showed him as CONFIDENT, not cool. The Dreamcast Era games pushed the cool factor a lot more though.

zoukka

Completely disagree.

Also, you're bringing up things that don't matter to the comparison of visuals, yes, SM64 is the superior game in gameplay, yes SM64 set the new standard for platformers, SM64 blew your mind because of the freedom of movement and 100% 3d gameplay and 3d exploration based level design, while crash lacked freedom and forced segments into specific camera angles. None of that has anything to do with visuals, that's gameplay, Crash looked way more advanced visually than SM64's painted polygons, very basic textures and abuse of sprites, but like, we didn't give a shit, those shortcuts SM64 is what allowed them to make the superior gameplay without straining the memory of the n64, while crash did the oposite (as explained in the video) restraining the gameplay and freedom as a trade off to build levels with better geometry and loading heavier textures.

But these things are relevant when discussing games visuals as a whole. Sure, single assets from M64 are crude and super low poly, but the look of the game when you played it was just as revolutionary as the gameplay, thanks to the things you mentioned, free movement, large scale and great animations.

That said, Crash 2 and 3 have aged well and have charming assets and animations themselves. I would never call them bad looking games.

SNURB

If you're going by marketing then that's a whole different discussion.

If you actually played the games, he has none of those traits. If anything, Crash is more like a confused puppy than some "dated 90s" character as you call it. He's literally something straight out of a Tex Avery cartoon.

SMG

Unless they aren't blinded by console bias :V
I have never owned a NES. Masters pretended like Keen was a contender when never was, it removed a ton of credibility from the writer.

If you actually played the games, he has none of those traits. If anything, Crash is more like a confused puppy than some "dated 90s" character as you call it.

Same for Sonic, only attitude is the waiting animation.

BHK3

Banned
What an overproduced, pretentious video. I feel like I'm watching a video on global warming or a war somewhere, not crash.

Either way it could've been summed up this way, crash doesn't work if its not strictly level based or trying hard to make you laugh. It went from a tex avery flick with visual comedy to a modern cartoon with shitty writing. The newer crash games took away the strengths of the originals and regulated the bandicoot to a average to mediocre platformer. I dont think travelers tale and free radicals misunderstanding of circles, squares and triangles is why crash failed the past two gens...

If you actually played the games, he has none of those traits. If anything, Crash is more like a confused puppy than some "dated 90s" character as you call it. He's literally something straight out of a Tex Avery cartoon.

beaten like a mad scientist trying to take over the world using crystals. DAMN IT

I don't understand are you saying...are you saying because Crash got to "extreme" he became less popular

but Sony's Icon for the PS2 era was this man

latest

and he literally just had one of the largest reactions at E3 recently...

That's a weird comparison considering, the PS2 had many icons, the last God of War game came out three years ago and "angry white dude" is still a widely used archetype when making a video game character. Has there been any other major games starring mascot character like Crash since the early 2000s?

Metal-Geo

This... isn't a really good video. All this video really proves is that Naughty Dog is really good at what they do. Plus Crash was created in the 90s for the 90s. He's a dated entity.

FYI this is the same guy who thinks Sonic the Hedgehog should be made for adults
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6ak3ebBep0

Well produced video there. And though his revision for Sonic left me scratching my head, I was pretty distracted by that absolutely baller music haha

MaxHouse

Banned
That's a weird comparison considering, the PS2 had many icons, the last God of War game came out three years ago and "angry white dude" is still a widely used archetype when making a video game character. Has there been any other major games starring mascot character like Crash since the early 2000s?

I think reducing Kratos to "Angry White Dude" is laughable, sorry...but that doesn't even fit

Neff

Since when are video game characters not created to make good money during their time? Was Sonic was created in the 90s for the 2000s? Mario created in the 80s for the 2010s?

The difference I guess is that Mario and Sonic endured because they're more universal and because their games were better and tried different things.

Crash just got spread thin and played out, is all.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!

I've always thought of Kratos as black, tbh.

TissueBox

Though the pro-Crash slant here is readily on display it's sincere and articulate in a way that just makes it past pretension.

In other words, that was a clean as hell doc! It didn't really click for me at first, but then his final hypothesis of "beautiful sharp insanity" wove it together and by the end I thought that was his strongest point; the series really was a blend of presentation, corners, and madcap verve. The actual references he uses to support his points seem a bit arbitrary in gradients, but that point alone is worth a good consideration. (I think.)

This... isn't a really good video. All this video really proves is that Naughty Dog is really good at what they do. Plus Crash was created in the 90s for the 90s. He's a dated entity.

FYI this is the same guy who thinks Sonic the Hedgehog should be made for adults
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6ak3ebBep0

I thought it was a good video. Very interesting for me at least. Also, what is your point with the Sonic video? It has 257,065 views and a 7,963/972 like ratio. Obviously people seem to agree with his point of view.

Mr_L

This has always been the impression I got from Crash within the original trilogy, and they really started selling it with his death animations. He's a goofy cartoon and not some radical dude doing kickflips and being edgy. I swear that the image people remember of Crash is entirely in his marketing, and maybe that's part of the problem.

SNURB

This has always been the impression I got from Crash within the original trilogy, and they really started selling it with his death animations. He's a goofy cartoon and not some radical dude doing kickflips and being edgy. I swear that the image people remember of Crash is entirely in his marketing, and maybe that's part of the problem.

SCEA marketed Crash in the same vein Sega of America did with Sonic since that was all the rage those days. To get some fierce and aggressive competition going to see which console had the better game. It worked out in the end since the games sold like hotcakes.

Problem is people think that Crash is this dated "Poochie" mascot and that's a big fat lie. He's not obnoxious or edgy. He's just a simple cartoon character. Whether the commercials with the Crash suit guy had anything to do with it is up to anyone's guess but a lot of people here will tell you that they're not even the same character.

I'm not gonna lie I watched the whole video and it just felt like the guy talking out of his ass but with a nice accent so it made him sound smarter than he actually was. None of the arguments over why the sequels failed really stuck. He was praising the first couple of games and then just basically went "the sequels are shitty because not the first three games"

crash was one of the few western platformers to do AMAZING in japan aswell.

by the way, everyone mentions "sony's mascot". They have one already. TORO.
Sony are just stupid not using him for some reason outside of Japan (i don't get why?)

Top Bottom