• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Why doesn't the spirit have its P/T setting ability?

It's a Characteristic Defining Ability (Layer 7A) that applies before the P/T setting effect of Soul Separator, which makes it into a 1/1 (Layer 7B).

If Tarmogoyf was an 0/1 that had an ability that said "Tarmogoyf gets +1/+1 for each card type in all graveyards," it would work the way you are expecting because that effect applies in Layer 7C.

Ashodin

CmJFL3OUsAA2T7q.jpg:large

Holy fuk

Madness BBB? are u srs

Turn 1: Indulgent Aristocrat
Turn 2: Heir of Falkenrath
Turn 3: This thing
Turn 4: ???
Turn 5: You win

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
CmJFL3OUsAA2T7q.jpg:large

Holy fuk

Madness BBB? are u srs

Turn 1: Indulgent Aristocrat
Turn 2: Heir of Falkenrath
Turn 3: This thing
Turn 4: ???
Turn 5: You win

This is way worse than you are envisioning: you have to sac three guys to transform it, but then if they kill Voldaren Pariah in response to the transform trigger going on the stack (and this dies to practically every piece of removal in Standard), it won't flip and you won't get the sac trigger going the other way.

Remember that transform is not morph.

This is way worse than you are envisioning: you have to sac three guys to transform it, but then if they kill Voldaren Pariah in response to the transform trigger going on the stack (and this dies to practically every piece of removal in Standard), it won't flip and you won't get the sac trigger going the other way.

Remember that transform is not morph.

He was referring to 6 power of flying turn 3 would be my guess.

Angry Grimace

I just like making my opponent sac three creatures ok

It's why I over-valued Kindly Stranger in certain decks: the transform trigger is really good, but the reality is that they sometimes just kill your dude before you ever get the trigger because I tended to view on-demand transformation as being like morph, when in reality it goes on the stack like anything else.

Haines

Banned
Man this set looks interesting as hell so far.

My friend kept cautioning me that wizards usually ruins it's blocks but this just looks better than I expected.

Angry Grimace

If you wanna suicide all your dudes and all of their dudes, just cast Languish

alternade

CMC is always colorless so you will always be paying the colored portion of emerge.

Ah ok. Hmmmm madness and emerge are so synergistic. Does anything from BFZ block play well with this set? Devoid, landfall, and cast triggers seem to clash with everything we've seen of this block so far.

Angry Grimace

So many eldrazis smh

Maro said there aren't that many Eldrazi. I guess he meant on the front side because I think every single flip card other than Ulrich is an Eldrazi so far. Edit: he confirmed all of them are Eldrazi or Eldrazi-related other than Ulrich.

There are more cards that specifically care about Eldrazi in Eldritch Moon than there are in Oath of the Gatewatch (the only card that specifically cares about Eldrazi in Oath of the Gatewatch is Kozilek's Return, although obviously there are things that interact with colorless, but the most played colorless creature is Hangarback Walker)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'd like an eldrazi'd topplegeist whose only difference is that it can topple multiple candles with its tentacles.

Toxi

Banned
Vildin Pack Outcast is kinda nuts for a common.

Trample 4/4 for 5 is already nice, but the ability to Flowstone it for an alpha strike, and the ability to make it bigger and nastier? That thing's crazy in limited.

It's also super complex for a common.

Angry Grimace

It looks a worse than SOI, but way better than BFZ, obviously. Mechanics seem fine if not exciting for the most part, but the aesthetic feels less cool from what we had in Shadows Over Innistrad. So basically so far it seems like Dark Ascension: the Eldrazining. :lol

I'm already on record as not liking meld, but if they were gonna do it, I think this was the wrong way to do it - meaning, putting it on only three sets of cards and having most DFCs play out normally. It comes off as an afterthought mechanic, that only plays out in constructed where the combos are far less likely to be good enough to assemble. It feels like this was the implementation you use to make Ken Nagle stop talking about it in development meetings.

Flip cards are obviously still fine, but they do feel a slight bit like a version of Monstrous if they just flip for mana. Emerge is pretty good (its a cheaty mechanic so people will like it I think), and Super Entwine is obviously great (even though we haven't seen much with it).

Angry Grimace

There are some neat and interesting cards here and there, but I'm in the same boat.
I wouldn't write it off yet, we've seen a lot more commons and uncommons vs. the rares that get people excited than normal.

The number of and type of cards revealed is a bit unusual though. The cards that tend to get people excited tend to be constructed playable stuff, and they're slow-rolling all that. The only obviously constructed playable card so far is the most boring mythic in the universe in Gisela (assuming you play it un-melded).

jph139

This art feels really retro. Can totally imagine it in a super old set.

I had the same reaction. The art, the mechanic, the whole "just a bunch of animals hanging out" vibe... I would definitely buy this as, like, a 20 year old card.

Angry Grimace

Yah, activated ability to transform into eldrazi monstrosity is the definition of dull design.

I really hope your use of the word "monstrosity" was intentional because just paying mana to flip them operates a lot like Monstrous.

Ashodin

It looks a worse than SOI, but way better than BFZ, obviously. Mechanics seem fine if not exciting for the most part, but the aesthetic feels less cool from what we had in Shadows Over Innistrad. So basically so far it seems like Dark Ascension: the Eldrazining. :lol

I'm already on record as not liking meld, but if they were gonna do it, I think this was the wrong way to do it - meaning, putting it on only three sets of cards and having most DFCs play out normally. It comes off as an afterthought mechanic, that only plays out in constructed where the combos are far less likely to be good enough to assemble. It feels like this was the implementation you use to make Ken Nagle stop talking about it in development meetings.

Flip cards are obviously still fine, but they do feel a slight bit like a version of Monstrous if they just flip for mana. Emerge is pretty good (its a cheaty mechanic so people will like it I think), and Super Entwine is obviously great (even though we haven't seen much with it).

I think it's a good preview, but honestly for meld they should have went strong with it. Emrakul should have been one.

Angry Grimace

I think it's a good preview, but honestly for meld they should have went strong with it. Emrakul should have been one.

I have a suspicion it was hard to design for. You have to check a LOT of boxes to make a mechanic like that work.

Ashodin

I'm okay with the set. It's not "HOLY SHIT YES WOOOOOOO" for me like some other people on Twitter, but I'm digging it.

I'm mainly here for the resolved story beats.

• Does Nahiri die?
  • Does Sorin die?
  • Does Emrakul get imprisoned?
  • Does Odric live?
  • Will Nahiri get redemption?
  • What becomes of the plane in general?

Lots of unanswered questions before we go to Kaladesh (KREEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYGASMMMMMMMMMMM). We might not get them all.

Angry Grimace

The Silver Moon will imprison Emrakul, I'm sure.

As for the Eldrazi, Emrakul is almost assuredly going to be imprisoned in the moon. The mention of it being made of the same silver as the Helvault was a Chekov's Gun.

Crocodile

So how exactly does the "Emrakul fucks up the creatures of the plane" thing work exactly? Like it emits radioactive energy that mutates organisms on a cellular level?

Zocano

So how exactly does the "Emrakul fucks up the creatures of the plane" thing work exactly? Like it emits radioactive energy that mutates organisms on a cellular level?

It's eldritch shit. Just its mere presence fucks up everything biological.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom