• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playdead's INSIDE spoiler thread.

Grisby

I thought at the end the game was going to go black and white only to have the boy from Limbo to come out of the blob. That didn't happen.
I thought you were going to be able to push your way out. I kept seeing a few limbs move as the camera was panning back. Better believe I was mashing on the button trying to get the kid to move out.

I kind of think that would have been better than a blob on his beach day out.

A boy and his blob.

The deaths in this are way more disturbing than Limbo's. The bear traps were shocking in their suddenness, and the spikes were sickening in how your corpse slowly slid down, but Inside's are just disturbing and unsettling. Like when you snagged by a taser wire. The fact that you're not dead, but instead been dragged off...somewhere, that unknown is eerie. The way the pursuers just brutally strangle/suffocate you rather than just outright killing you.

i cringed the first time i got caught by a hound and had my neck ripped.

SexyFish

Banned
I thought you were going to be able to push your way out. I kept seeing a few limbs move as the camera was panning back. Better believe I was mashing on the button trying to get the kid to move out.

A boy and his blob.

I want him to plop out of the blob into the ocean and swim off into the sunset with mermaid girl.

My dreams were crushed.

This is the sort of games that from the first few minutes of gameplay, you truly feel you are playing something special..

Last time I had this feeling was with ORI The Blind Forest.

When you're in the tank at the end before you get assimilated by the blob, were the people looking into the tank cheering you on, or am I misremembering it?

I honestly think I'm more confused by it all now than when I completed it, lol.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I'm pretty sure it's a metaphor for conception and birth.

-There is a lot of phallic imagery in the beginning (Trains, diving board, sperm in the form of drones all going toward the laboratory, some of them on trains).

-You literally burst into "the womb" at one point and there are tubes and water throughout.

-Umbilical cords are prevalent.

-You can breath underwater.

-As the boy you dive into the blob (egg) and become one with it.

-There is a vagina door at the very end.

-You travel toward the light at the end of it and burst out into the world.

-The name of the game is Inside. You spend most of the game trying to get inside the blob, when you do, you leave.

This may explain a lot about the game, it doesn't explain everything. Mind control, the industrial nature of the whole thing, and why most of the "cells in the body" would be trying to stop you are still a mystery to me.

Thoughts?

this says a lot about you.

:p

I guess that the facility was both a sort of factory of "no-humans" and a research lab for further development of this technology. Those "humans" are probably used by families and industries (and even for military purposes) as a sort of slaves. Someone, outside the facility, built his own computer to control one of those zombies (the kid) and try to destroy the facility, freeing the blob (that I guess it's very important for the research lab) and killing the director. That's my theory about the plot, I haven't still thought about the overall meaning.

I agree with this. Why is a kid trying to get inside the facility in the first place?, the kid is more than human too: he can do things other humans could not, like those acrobatic jumps and surviving falls that could kill a normal human. We also take control of him in the same area were those strange metal pods/chambers are; it's as if those containers were used to farm these non-humans/mutants/whatever they are... I think they are half-plant half-human: there's another area similar to the one at the beginning of the game with metal pods connected to the trees, it's during that section where you have to go out of the submarine to open the door that allows to jump with the submarine for the first time, before the first encounter with the first "mermaid". There you'll see that the pods are connected to the trees.

I agree about the basic plot too: the places where the metal orbs/collectibles are, are full of recorders, computers, chairs facing documents attached to the walls, a container full of canned food, photographs of the mermaids... someone is spying on the facility and has learned enough to take control of a kid with special powers. At the end you kill the CEO/boss of the company/facility and free the blob, perhaps to expose what they are doing, or perhaps to take the blob because it can control other creatures.

One thing I noticed, is that right after you get sucked into the chamber and lose your clothes (right before you become part of the blob), is that you look just like the "mermaid witch thing"...Except you don't have the long hair.

I think the thing in the water is just another kid, maybe had experiments done on it and maybe escaped? The long hair just shows that it has been living down in the water for a very long time.

Yes, that made me think the same too. Only he's not as agile in the water as the others. Maybe he's just an hybrid. I kind of think that the "mermaids" may be working with whoever has been spying on the facility.

Another theory I have is that the kid is just doing what he does because he's programmed to do so... well,many people has pointed that already, but I also think the boy has some degree of self awareness: you can see him getting scared, getting hurt after a big fall, I believe you can even hear his heart bumping and his respiration at times. What I'm trying to say is that he is being controlled at a subliminal level rather than being controlled all the time.

Spoo

yea, I wanted to drop into the ocean. I feel like the blob died at the end.

I kind of hope it did? I mean, whatever the experiment was, it looked like some weird sort of torture or slavery -- in fact so much of the game shows various aspects of servitude and captivity; it felt like a release to me.

And it's about as "ride off into the sunset" as you could get in a game as dark as this :\

Tall Paul

Yeah that trailer seems nuts post game, ID@XBOX also just tweeted a point in ref to watching the trailer again once completed.

dan2026

So why exactly was the kid trying to break into the facility in the first place?

Just to join with the psychic people blob?

Sorry if it's been explained, but if the blob was being used to help control the zombies, why was everyone absolutely booking it to press themselves up against the glass and look at it? Seems to me that the blob just started to work when the boy gets there, explaining the frantic running to look at the thing.

Cross

Neo Member
Yup. Although we coded our own tools (2d wasn't available when we started out and our stuff is way better anyway :D) and had some help from the Unity team as well.

Wow, Inside and Ori are two of the most beautiful games I've played in a very long time. Unity has become quite impressive.

SleepehSheep

Neo Member
My wife brought to my attention the boys high water pants. Maybe he has been in captivity for a while? Really enjoyed the game.

I'm pretty sure it's a metaphor for conception and birth.

-There is a lot of phallic imagery in the beginning (Trains, diving board, sperm in the form of drones all going toward the laboratory, some of them on trains).

-You literally burst into "the womb" at one point and there are tubes and water throughout.

-Umbilical cords are prevalent.

-You can breath underwater.

-As the boy you dive into the blob (egg) and become one with it.

-There is a vagina door at the very end.

-You travel toward the light at the end of it and burst out into the world.

-The name of the game is Inside. You spend most of the game trying to get inside the blob, when you do, you leave.

This may explain a lot about the game, it doesn't explain everything. Mind control, the industrial nature of the whole thing, and why most of the "cells in the body" would be trying to stop you are still a mystery to me.

Thoughts?

I made many similar observations throughout and I too felt there was a strong birth/conception metaphor. It struck me that some people who already had their own children were curiously standing by watching the events unfold only for those events to ultimately lead to a return to the "womb" and/or source of origin.

Ape

Banned
Yeah, I get that it's not for everyone, what specifically didn't you like?

I didn't get anything out of it. There's a story there but I'm not really big on metaphorical adventures.

The set pieced close calls were cool. the difficulty was non existent. Not a single puzzle had me stuck, for better or for worse.

playing inside is like watching the latest foreign indie flick to take Cannes by storm. I can appreciate why other people enjoy it, but I'd rather be doing something else.

Strootman

I guess that the facility was both a sort of factory of "no-humans" and a research lab for further development of this technology. Those "humans" are probably used by families and industries (and even for military purposes) as a sort of slaves. Someone, outside the facility, built his own computer to control one of those zombies (the kid) and try to destroy the facility, freeing the blob (that I guess it's very important for the research lab) and killing the director. That's my theory about the plot, I haven't still thought about the overall meaning.
I like your theory, but how do you explain the fact that the kid dies and then gets revived by that umbilical cord?

Also, what about the scientists that let you go into the blob?

Oh shit, oh shit.

I just remembered something.

When the mermaid drags you under and you are rebirth there's a blob like creature chained to the ground.

I remember I tried interacting with it, but there was nothing to do.

Will try to get a video of that part.

Edit:

https://youtu.be/Bw1LbgjOcCY?t=23m17s

It's not a blob like, but definitely seems like a creature.

Oh shit, oh shit.

I just remembered something.

When the mermaid drags you under and you are rebirth there's a blob like creature chained to the ground.

I remember I tried interacting with it, but there was nothing to do.

Will try to get a video of that part.

Oh youre right. I remember thinking it was some kind of mutated seahorse or a piece of a sea creature.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

A boy and his blob.

i kept hoping it would slowly crawl into the ocean and disappear. would be a bit more vague whether or not it lived or not

9mi61fS.png

A boy and his blob.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one jamming buttons all through the credits trying to get that thing to move like 10 more feet dude.

I am STILL mashing O! I think it's glitched. This is God of War 3 all over again.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Has anyone broken down the letters and numbers you sometimes see? Getting the achievements right now but I seem to recall seeing an R and S as signs with one letter fallen down.

Also when you have to recruit 20 of the workers/blobs/whatever they are.

Nintenleo

I like your theory, but how do you explain the fact that the kid dies and then gets revived by that umbilical cord?

Also, what about the scientists that let you go into the blob?

We don't know if that one mermaid that "kills" you is a being with a consciousness. Like the kid itself, even the mermaid that makes you become something better with the technology of the facility could be controlled by a remote device.

If the scientists let you go into the blob it's pretty normal. The blob seems to be made by a lot of different human beings (limbs) that are completely absorbed into the strange ball of flesh. I guess nobody expected the kid to be able to fully control it.

Kazaam

So I finally got home after spending my evening at a friend who's got an Xbox One (after all the reviews and GAF opinions I realised I couldn't wait even for the Steam version). Well, we finished the game from beginning to end in one sitting and I need to congratulate Playdead for another wonderful game. As people previously mentioned this game is on another level from a (definitely and especially) sound design and visual point of view. If I have to think about the entire game, I personally prefer Limbo and that might have to do with the long-lasting incredible impression that game left on me and also because of my already big expectations for Inside being pushed over the edge by reviews and people who have been talking about it as if it was the second coming (which for me proved to be a tiny bit overrated... but it's an understandable reaction with an experience like Inside in a medium that is drowned in non-unique experiences).

I also felt it was much shorter than Limbo, even though How Long to Beat shows Inside as longer. Maybe it's because it really wasn't challenging at all and even though it was beautifully crafter it always managed to make me feel like I always need to keep pushing forward without a moment of pause (and yes, we did do all collectibles... as a huge Limbo fan I was also a bit disappointed with the "secret ending" after collecting all the secrets... but was still a nice addition).

Now I'm sure there will be for a long time interpretations and speculations for the bigger meaning of it and I don't think Inside is built into providing one specific conclusion. That being said there are definitely a lot of elements that can give clues about the world.

The E3 trailer is much more interesting now, since it seems to show the facility during its everyday routines

https://youtu.be/E0V2rPVQWfM

I also looked at this and besides it proving to be a fantastic (one of the best) trailers for a game like this (giving nothing away, being very intriguing and creating incentive to rewatch it after finishing the game), I think it can bring up quite a few speculations. For once... one of the rooms we actually pass in the game is shown in the trailer as a sort of completely windowed doctor cabinet with an audience. There are 2 people inside... I believe, a doctor and a pretty normal looking patient. However that same room in the game is filled with two naked mindless beings (they don't react to the blob when it breaks through). I'm not saying they might be the doctor and the patient, but it does raise a question of what this room actually is/was, especially considering there's a very similar room on it's left (also with chairs outside of it and a video camera) and a bloody armless being kind of mindlessly bumping into the window. Here are some comparison photos:

Trailer

trailer1-min_zpsftejc2tx.jpg~original

Game - Same Room

game1-min_zpsnndizzfp.jpg~original

Game - Room on the left
game2-min_zpsofbyrkdh.jpg~original

Also, the last shot from the trailer we see two people and a camera observing the blob, or the inside chamber of the blob, most likely keep track of progress. Now obviously something happens when you get there, because that same moment people are running towards it looking at the blob. I don't know if it started to "live" then, if it "mutated" then, but something definitely happened.

Also this brings me to another detail I find very interesting. The attitude of the guy running into the chairs when he sees you and of all the other people looking at the blob but not paying attention to you.. I personally don't think this has anything to do with the "post-drowning" second life. I actually think you're in an area where intruders are not considered likely and the look of the guy is more like "why is a kid here?". Add that to the extraordinary event that brings everybody to the windows facing the blob and indeed nobody will pay too much attention to you.

Now this could be interesting because (as we've seen in other parts) there are other kids around. In fact given the trailer and some of the earlier parts of the game, I believe an entire "society/city" lives in this contained fortress. And I think it has something to do with protecting themselves from something that happened outside of it... Maybe the same thing that happened to the pigs, killing them. But the "village" outside of the fortress is definitely abandoned (we can see the piles of dead animals, the crashed car, the empty slaughterhouse).

Abandoned Village - Crashed abandoned car

game3-min_zps9efirmr8.jpg~original

Better view of the Fortress (Credits to More_Badass)
pZCuuVB.gif

I also think the "masks" in the beginning are used for protection as they're only used in the outside and close to outside (dealing with the "newcomers" from the forest). I also think the part where you have to pretend you're one of the "newcomers" you catch a glimpse from an actual tour from the society visiting (as you can do/have in many real factories and companies).

Glimpse of the Visiting Tour - we can see several children and even a woman with a baby (far right)

game4-min_zpsvocd8jkl.jpg~original

Small Glimpse of the "Newcomers being "loaded" in the truck"

game12_zpsmjm1ayv3.jpg~original

Anyway I wanted to write more but it's past 3 AM here and I'm beat. Will post more hopefully in the next few days. It's frustrating I can't play this yet at home. Also sorry for the different sizes and quality of the images... i tried to do quick screen grabs of different youtube windows.

Also this brings me to another detail I find very interesting. The attitude of the guy running into the chairs when he sees you and of all the other people looking at the blob but not paying attention to you.. I personally don't think this has anything to do with the "post-drowning" second life. I actually think you're in an area where intruders are not considered likely and the look of the guy is more like "why is a kid here?". Add that to the extraordinary event that brings everybody to the windows facing the blob and indeed nobody will pay too much attention to you.

This is interesting. I agree, I don't think the white collar dudes that ran to the window really cared that you were there.

Thinking more about that moment, it is a weird coincidence that something started happening in the tank with the blob just as you got there. I wonder if your presence made the blob start to wake up or something like that. Similar to how the zombie dudes wake up and start following you.

The water child that drags you down is still the thing that is confusing me the most.

danowat

Banned
I'm keen to know more about the world.

I assume from the crashed vehicles and dead farm animals that it was a 'normal' world prior to what ever apocalyptic event took place.

So was it a terrestrial invasion? Extra terrestrial? Natural disaster? Disaster as a result of the experiment?

Are the enemies and occupying force?

Also, under the cornfield there is a switch that isn't powered up that looks like it opens a door?

I was writing something and then felt the need to play the final section to confirm if I was right before posting it.

Have you noticed that the boy can hear animals "talking" but not humans?: you can hear the chicks, the dogs, the birds, the pigs, the mindless people, but not the humans. The researchers are talking about something when you reach the container where the blob is, one of them actually seems he's talking to you, but you don't hear anything. Only after you've been absorbed by the blob you can hear their screams. What does that mean? I don't know to be honest, but after you hear the humans for the first time, some of them start to "help" you. Whether or not that means you're controlling some of them it's up to debate.

There are some things I noticed while playing the last section that might be important to understand the story:
I. When you reach the big metal orb that you can only enter after you've found all the collectibles, four of those are marked even when the lights are not on: 2, 4, 11 and 12. Number two is the one where you can get the secret ending but I don't understand what's special about the other three.
II. When you go inside the tank where the blob is, the researchers start to hit the glass and many of them tell you to stop by moving their hands or their head. I suppose they know what's about to happen or they may fear you're about to ruin their experiment.
III. When you're destroying everything once you took control of the blob, you can go inside of a huge model of the area outside of the wall that leads you to the beach of the ending. Do you think there's some kind of significance to that or is it just to make the building look aesthetically pleasant?
IV. I didn't notice that at the end, at the area where they trick you into trying to get the box, there are hundreds of people watching you... they are just there standing in the dark, there are kids sitting there as well. They don't look frightened like the other researchers, though.

This game has been in my head even while I'm working. D: I had to come back to play to confirm some of the things I remembered during the day.

I was writing something and then felt the need to play the final section to confirm if I was right before posting it.

Have you noticed that the boy can hear animals "talking" but not humans?: you can hear the chicks, the dogs, the birds, the pigs, the mindless people, but not the humans. The researchers are talking about something when you reach the container where the blob is, one of them actually seems he's talking to you, but you don't hear anything. Only after you've been absorbed by the blob you can hear their screams. What does that mean? I don't know to be honest, but after you hear the humans for the first time, some of them start to "help" you. Whether or not that means you're controlling some of them it's up to debate.

There are some things I noticed while playing the last section that might be important to understand the story:
I. When you reach the big metal orb that you can only enter after you've found all the collectibles, four of those are marked even when the lights are not on: 2, 4, 11 and 12. Number two is the one where you can get the secret ending but I don't understand what's special about the other three.
II. When you go inside the tank where the blob is, the researchers start to hit the glass and many of them tell you to stop by moving their hands or their head. I suppose they know what's about to happen or they may fear you're about to ruin their experiment.
III. When you're destroying everything once you took control of the blob, you can go inside of a huge model of the area outside of the wall that leads you to the beach of the ending. Do you think there's some kind of significance to that or is it just to make the building look aesthetically pleasant?
IV. I didn't notice that at the end, at the area where they trick you into trying to get the box, there are hundreds of people watching you... they are just there standing in the dark, there are kids sitting there as well. They don't look frightened like the other researchers, though.

This game has been in my head even while I'm working. D: I had to come back to play to confirm some of the things I remembered during the day.
3) I noticed that yesterday when I was replaying

4) I was wondering what those shapes were. I half-registered that it was people, but couldn't really get a good look before falling into the trap

I didn't understand the story at all really. I got a birth vibe from a lot of it and some mind control/human experimentation thing going on and none of it made much sense to me. I just thought of being inside a womb/inside a lab and then at the end being born/breaking free. I don't know what I was actually supposed to get from it all.

With that said, the game was fucking awesome. The puzzles were fun and pretty fresh and made me do just enough thinking without getting frustrated at anything.

There was a couple of lit up orb things I knew I missed and it really ticked me off for a bit because I knew I had missed them and couldn't go back.

The sonic wave blast cannon part (or whatever the hell it was where you exploded if it hit you) was probably my favorite area. The sounds were amazing.

Considering there were four mind control helmets connected to the blob, and that the last one was still connected when you got absorbed, I think the blob used to be a bunch of people just floating in that tank (like in other areas), and it started controlling the boy to bring him there (maybe he was specifically needed, maybe they just targetted a random person and brought him there no matter how far he happened to be). Then they turned into a blob shortly before you arrive, which is why the scientists gather up.

So it doesn't end up with the boy controlling the blob, you've been controlling the blob all along in an attempt to grow stronger to try to escape.

Top Bottom