• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playdead's INSIDE spoiler thread.

Same. WTF at that ending?

I can't get it out of my brain. Playing through again. Amazing game.

So what's the theory? Some sort of horrific experiment gone wrong?

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
I'm wondering if anything more is revealed if you collect all the hidden orbs. Anyone do this yet? Will go for them all on next play through.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
What was with some people helping you, while most hunted you? A few sympathetic souls, or just people hoping you'd go away?

Brinbe

WTF was that

This is definitely one of those games that's gonna generate tons of great discussion. Holy shit.

What was with some people helping you, while most hunted you? A few sympathetic souls, or just people hoping you'd go away?

If you're talking about the time you spend as the King of Limbs, I think they were trying to lure you back into a trap. If I had to guess.

Dang0

If you're talking about the time you spend as the King of Limbs, I think they were trying to lure you back into a trap. If I had to guess.

Is that its actual name or did you just think it up? Also, if that mermaid kid was trying to help you, how come it kills you earlier?

I'm wondering if anything more is revealed if you collect all the hidden orbs. Anyone do this yet? Will go for them all on next play through.

I have collected all the orbs. Once you unlock all of them, you go to the last big orb and in the background are the lightbulbs signifying each orb. All of the lightbulbs are turned off with the exception of the second lightbulb. So I went back to the second orb (it's in the cornfield) and there's a switch that you can move left, up or right and it makes musical notes. To the right of that is a huge vault door that's shut. I'm assuming we have to play it in the right order to open that vault door. Haven't figured out how to open it yet, not even sure if it's possible to open.

I have collected all the orbs. Once you unlock all of them, you go to the last big orb and in the background are the lightbulbs signifying each orb. All of the lightbulbs are turned off with the exception of the second lightbulb. So I went back to the second orb (it's in the cornfield) and there's a switch that you can move left, up or right and it makes noise. To the right of that is a huge vault door that's shut. I'm assuming we have to play it in the right order to open that vault door. Haven't figured out how to open it yet, not even sure if it's possible to open.

It has to be there for some reason!

NateDrake

I have collected all the orbs. Once you unlock all of them, you go to the last big orb and in the background are the lightbulbs signifying each orb. All of the lightbulbs are turned off with the exception of the second lightbulb. So I went back to the second orb (it's in the cornfield) and there's a switch that you can move left, up or right and it makes musical notes. To the right of that is a huge vault door that's shut. I'm assuming we have to play it in the right order to open that vault door. Haven't figured out how to open it yet, not even sure if it's possible to open.

Yeah, I've been trying to figure that out myself. But when I returned to the big ord the light indicator for the second bulb was deactivated. Haven't been able to find any hints as to the order of the music. And whatever is behind the door doesn't equal an achievement, so....

Tall Paul

Just finished this second..I'm still staring at Limby Mc Blob on the beach and my brain is going....erm...what did we just do!?

chris121580

Man, that was just an incredible experience and at the same time, I have absolutely no idea what I just played but I enjoyed every second of it. I loved how they made regular gravity coincide with water. The whole thing is just crazy and I have no idea what that facility was

Strictly

Do you guys think this is the same universe as Limbo? Perhaps set before Limbo - as in Limbo the world looked to have collapsed (and there was sign of gravity manipulation).

Tall Paul

Do you guys think this is the same universe as Limbo? Perhaps set before Limbo - as in Limbo the world looked to have collapsed (and there was sign of gravity manipulation).
Yeah I wondered that, early on I thought maybe the boy was the same pre Limbo..at the end..not so much.

convo

One enviroment in particular felt like a Blame! level of industrial design, makes me cry for a Blame game or a sci-fi souls game.

Anybody else think this game was totally J Horror (Japanese Horror)? At the beginning I got a real E.T / George Orwell vibe, but by the end the game was clearly J Horror inspired from start to finish.

I felt the game invoked mostly THE HOST and GYO if anybody is interested/wants to agree with me, with a little RING/GODZILLA thrown in.

Dang0

I wasn't sure what to think of the secret vault till
I noticed the pose he takes after pulling the plug. Plus what the computer was hooked up to.

Anybody else think this game was totally J Horror (Japanese Horror)? At the beginning I got a real E.T / George Orwell vibe, but by the end the game was clearly J Horror inspired from start to finish.

I felt the game invoked mostly THE HOST and GYO if anybody is interested/wants to agree with me, with a little RING/GODZILLA thrown in.

Yeah the underwater creature screams RING.

Strictly

I wasn't sure what to think of the secret vault till
I noticed the pose he takes after pulling the plug. Plus what the computer was hooked up to.

You think it was the computer controlling him? Just that it was unaware?

NickMitch

Sooo good

I interpret it as a commentary of genetic research being pushed towards human experiments instead for the animal and plant experimenting.

The ending was definitely a surprise. Did anyone notice that the limbs of the person/director(?) were moving/crawling away after crushing him? Maybe some a hint at syntetics/androids.

DirtyLarry

Just finished it as well and really just trying to wrap my head around what the overall message of it is.

Think it has something to do with either A) a general Big Brother type vibe B) animal cruelty C) society's obsession with social media D) terminal illness.

I am leaning towards the last one terminal illness. It is just the overall feeling I leave the game with. It was a very weighty, oppressive atmosphere, with basically one situation worse than the last, to finally "escape" and die by the edge of the ocean. I believe each "stage" may be metaphors for what one goes through once they are diagnosed with a terminal disease and also the feelings that come with knowing you are in fact dying.
I mean we all know we are eventually going to die, but if and when you know how and approximately when you are going to die, that is some heavy shit.

But the beginning when you are just trying to "escape," that is when you first find out the news and want to avoid/forget it at all costs. You come across being able to control other people pretty shortly after, and I believe that is a metaphor for losing control yourself and your fate is basically in the hands of other people (doctors, etc.). Then there are the water scenes, and drowning is usually a metaphor of feeling as if you have no control. Plus there is that evil mermaid you have to avoid, which is death itself. Also observation and being observed is a big theme throughout, and again, that can be doctors, operations, etc.

The only thing is though, I am not sure how the blob at the end plays into it. Perhaps it is all of the other people going through the same experience to become one solid entity. All of whom just are looking for a peace?

Or it is about something completely different and I am totally off. That is a lot more likely I imagine.

That is why this is a brilliant game though make no mistake about it. It is open to interpretation, and different people will come away with different takes on what it all means. I am sure we will find out eventually what it all means, or maybe not. I almost hope we do not.

Brilliant game though. No doubt.

MattyG

Banned
That secret ending and the things it implies are crazy.
What is the implication? Did he stop the blob experiment before anything could happen? Disconnect whatever was controlling everyone's minds? Was he under control the whole time?

Holy shit, I need to play it again. That was one of the best games I've ever played, and I don't say that shit easily.

Gowans

Absolutely amazing game, loved every second.

The puzzling, atmosphere, sound, tonne, animation all great. And that ending!! Wow it's gona take some digesting.

With a few puzzles where the boy controlled a thing controlling another things took a hint that maybe someone is controlling the boy, I though the end would be you freeing that person.

Very grim, instralised tonne, growing bionic robot/slaves? Experiments leading to the monster you become at the end?

It's defo a thinker, can't give this game enough praise, loved every second.

Wow! Well done Playdead, I'll always remember this.

chris121580

I'd like someone to explain the one hit explosions that were occurring outside. That part really didn't make any sense to me in the full scale of everything else. It's also why I think there is a deeper meaning behind the game

I'd like someone to explain the one hit explosions that were occurring outside. That part really didn't make any sense to me in the full scale of everything else. It's also why I think there is a deeper meaning behind the game
Maybe they were trying to create a genetically-modified organism that could survive those shockwaves. It looked they were trying to test the force of the shockwaves due to the room with the test dummies

Also notice that the boy evolved from needing to use the helmet to control the people and then could do it without the helmet. Seemed like they were trying to create some kind of hivemind

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
That was quite the game. Might replay it in a few days after I let this first play through marinate.

Top Bottom