• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
could we see a red coco variant with it?

I doubt it. As an instant speed drop its not better than the splash for Reflector Mage and the best value from CoCo involves getting OP three-drops. This isn't really OP, its just splashable for a lot of damage, but I kind of feel that with Standard being so grindy and gummed up boards Goblin Rabblemaster isn't as good as it used to be.

IDK the Gatewatch seems pretty primed for some kind of crazy interpersonal relationships by adding Liliana to the mix.

They already got Jace and Nissa doing way too personal mind melds, Gideon and Chandra being all tsundere for each other, and Jace constantly checking Gideon out.

I fully expect Liliana/Gideon FoeYay.

Gatestuck

Toxi

Banned
Phyrexian oil didn't set up the future block, the mycosynth did. Mycosynth was a large prominently featured thing that was never explained, then was later revealed to be an oil construct. The thing that got most retconned was the population of the plane after Memnarch's defeat. Most everyone should have been teleported back to their home planes when he died, but when we come back there's enough to have a war. There was a logical workaround, but THAT was the general retcon, not the oil.
I never said the oil was a retcon, I said the ending of the block story (AKA everyone getting warped away) had to be retconned.

I don't recall the Mycosynth being obvious sequel bait, but if they were, then they didn't amount to much in Scars of Mirrodin.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I lived the Shards of Alara dream.

VRQjEZY.jpg

Note: I lost the other two games almost immediately because my deck was horrible and the only entertaining thing it could do is cast Titanic Ultimatum

Do we get a full days worth of spoilers in your holiday in the states.

I believe they only take time off the website for Memorial Day, Labor Day, and the winter holidays.

EDIT:

sjosten asked: When you say that the Cosmic Horror/Emrakul thing was decided when Innistrad was created, do you mean back when we first saw it, or back when it was still in the design/Development phase?

I’m talking about the first proposal to return to Innistrad.

False alarm!

Firemind

If they don't show something actually worth a damn tomorrow I swear to god

I lived the Shards of Alara dream.

Note: I lost the other two games almost immediately because my deck was horrible and the only entertaining thing it could do is cast Titanic Ultimatum
Viashino Skeleton is straight up unplayable bro

Damn I tried to get into the magic stories with those collected ebooks on their site. Couldn't get too far into origins without getting bored. Am I doing it wrong?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Do we get a full days worth of spoilers in your holiday in the states.

If they don't show something actually worth a damn tomorrow I swear to god

Viashino Skeleton is straight up unplayable bro

Well...

"Yes. I have a new article with a preview card - something people have been asking us to make for quite some time.
(I think I hear people on Reddit typing.)"

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/146851651543/are-there-going-to-be-any-previews-monday-since

Damn I tried to get into the magic stories with those collected ebooks on their site. Couldn't get too far into origins without getting bored. Am I doing it wrong?

The Magic Origins stories are generally boring.
Though opinions differ, I found the Battle for Zendikar stories entertaining enough, outside of the ones written by Kimberly J. Kreines (most of the Nissa stories), and the Shadows over Innistrad stories have been fairly good so far. Note that I'm curving my grades for fantasy-that-ties-into-a-game.

One really annoying thing about the way they organize stories is that the random one-off stories not connected to the current plane and the stories building up to the story of the current plane get lost in the mix. If you plan on reading them, I really do recommend using the archive at the bottom of the story page and clicking "load more" until you get where you want to.

The Magic Origins stories are generally boring.
Though opinions differ, I found the Battle for Zendikar stories entertaining enough, outside of the ones written by Kimberly J. Kreines (most of the Nissa stories), and the Shadows over Innistrad stories have been fairly good so far. Note that I'm curving my grades for fantasy-that-ties-into-a-game.

One really annoying thing about the way they organize stories is that the random one-off stories not connected to the current plane and the stories building up to the story of the current plane get lost in the mix. If you plan on reading them, I really do recommend using the archive at the bottom of the story page and clicking "load more" until you get where you want to.
Ah ok
I'll give the collected stories a shot and branch out. Not into navigating their site.

cuc

Scars of Mirrodin block required the entire ending to Mirrodin block to be retconned. The original use of Phyrexian oil was there to explain how Memnarch went crazy, not to set up a future block.
For that matter, they have expressly stated that they created Mirrodin with the intention of turning it into New Phyrexia. They initially wanted to do it in the Mirrodin block.

After my last post, and the one a few days ago where I quoted my old story recommendations post, I decided I might as well go through the post-Origins stories. FAKE EDIT: Or rather, just the BFZ stories, since this took a while. I'm just going off of memory and skimming through them. Again, grading on a curve with these ratings.

Pre Battle for Zendikar:
Limits - Gideon beating things up on Zendikar and Ravnica, can't go too wrong there. Plus, I actually did find him constantly pushing himself enthralling.
Catching Up - Jace and Liliana talking, which has some fun interactions. Good enough if Jace doesn't offend you. Just assume that disclaimer is present for every future Jace story I mention.
Unkindness of Ravens - Liliana internal monologue and confrontation with Raven Man that doesn't really advance anything. Decent.
Offers to the Fire - Chandra getting a position of power solely so she can reject it later. Decent.
For Zendikar - Written by Kreines and about Nissa, skip.

The following stories are on Battle for Zendikar's story page.
Slaughter at the Refuge - More Gideon beating stuff up, combined with Jace being hilariously useless. Good.
The Silent Cry - Kreines, Nissa, skip.
The Believers' Pilgrimage - Jace and merfolk Jori En face Eldrazi and cultists, decent.
The Survivors of Sky Rock - Kreines, but instead of Nissa it's Gideon. So not as offensive to the senses, but still not good.
Memories of Blood - Cutting away from the planeswalkers for a bit to focus on the vampire chief Drana. Good.
Nissa's Quest - Kreines, Nissa, skip.
Home Waters - Kiora does stuff. She's the most interesting planeswalker in BFZ, so her stories tend to be good, like this one.
Nissa's Resolve - I would say skip, but Ob Nixilis going, "arglebargle I'm evil!" is entertaining, at least, and this story is fairly important.
Revelation at the Eye - Jace talks to Ugin, exposition dump. Good, and pretty important.
Shaping an Army - Noyan Dar is a pretty fun side character. Good.
The Liberation of Sea Gate - Lots of fighting. Good.

Commander 2015 tie-in stories.
All the Cairns of Jund - Takes place on Alara. Entertaining enough revenge story.
Family Values - Takes place on Ravnica. An intricate plan gets dunked on, and that's always fun.

Back to Battle for Zendikar's story page.
Hedron Alignment - Kreines, but not too bad, Nissa sections aside. Kiora is also pretty badly written here. In any case, it's pretty important.
At Any Cost - First person story about Ob Nixilis, good.
Promises to Keep - As promised, Chandra rejects the position of power she was given so she could reject it later. Not offensive, but not good either.

Oath of the Gatewatch story
The Rise of Kozilek - Kiora perspective story, contains the saddest death in the BFZ story (
Lorthos, the Tidemaker
). Good.
Retaliation of Ob Nixilis - The part written by Davidson is good, the part written by Kreines is bad. It's easy to tell which is which.
Reclamation - Completely forgettable, but probably not terrible.
The Blight We Were Born For - Side character Tazri gets some focus, and I'm a sucker for stories where characters hallucinate the future. Good.
Up in Flames - Chandra fights Ob Nixilis, decent enough. Warning, badly photoshopped image toward the end.
Beneath the Surface - Jori En and Kiora story, surprisingly claustrophobic. Good.
Oath of the Gatewatch - Superfriends are formed. Decent enough.
Brink of Extinction - Coming up with a new plan. Has some fun interaction. Good.
Zendikar's Last Stand - Final battle. Kind of underwhelming, but not bad.
Zendikar Resurgent - Epilogue, decent enough, besides Nissa's part.

Angry Grimace

It's cool but 4 mana is just too much for a counter spell

Toxi

Banned
So if I'm reading this right. It wipes all enchantments, sorceries, and instants off the board, and cancels any abilities any creatures have for BOTH players, right?
It exiles any spells (Non-land cards are spells when being cast) on the stack and counters any abilities on the stack. For both players.

It does not exile any permanents (Enchantments, Artifacts, Creatures, Planeswalkers, Lands) on the board. It does not counter static abilities, since they are not on the stack.

That's where I'm confused. It doesn't say counter spells, it says exile all other spells. That tells me that any spell that can be exiled, in the stack or not, will be exiled.

Toxi

Banned
That's where I'm confused. It doesn't say counter spells, it says exile all other spells. That tells me that any spell that can be exiled, in the stack or not, will be exiled.
When something is not on the stack, it's not a spell. When you exile a spell from the stack, you basically counter it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Yah its a bit confusing but anything that remains in play isn't a spell anymore. Its only a spell while its being cast

Supast4r

It HAS to be real though.

No other planeswalker has made any mention of their parents a focus of their story at ALL.

Liliana has a brother who dies to set her off
Gideon was an orphan
Jace has no memories
Nissa is an elf (lol), their parents are the forest or some shit

Only Chandra's background has made a huge fuckin' deal over her parents AND the fact she has Jaya Ballard's goggles.

C'MON SON.

You can't tell me you can't see it when you look at these two depictions:

Chandra-Roaring-Flame-Magic-Origins-Art-585x403.jpg
2-jaya.jpg

also wtf at Jaya's clothes with the random ass tears

Not to mention Chandra has a lot of quotes about wanting to meet jaya. Also the tears are there because Jaya is a cutie-patooty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom