• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah that's the caveat. OTOH it has vigilance can be good. As it is often we'll just end up with it's not goyf though, kind of a bummer.
At least Knightfall and Abzan aren't usually running goyf.

How did Jund even undo the Bob damage before Kalitas? Scooze can't heal that much.

The average life-loss from a Bob flip is like 0.8. You're not playing anything higher than 4 CMC and the things you play at 4 CMC tend to gain you life, e.g. Huntmaster of the Fells or Kalitas.

You do see Bob players die to it, but most of those games are games where they were losing anyways and dropped 2 of them or something.

Santiako

The problem is that I don't think the interaction is really all that overpowered. It's more flexible, but lots of spells in Modern are flexible. The only reason for something to be banned is if it actually breaks the game and is overpowered vs. the other spells in the format. I don't think GSZ is anything like that.

Fair enough, tbh I haven't played with or against GSZ so I can't really judge it that much.

What do you think of this little Nahiri brew I whipped up. I almost want to put SSG in there but I don't have room.

2 Arid Mesa
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
2 Blood Crypt
2 Bloodstained Mire
2 Ghost Quarter
2 Godless Shrine
3 Marsh Flats
1 Mountain
1 Plains
1 Sacred Foundry
3 Shambling Vent
2 Swamp

1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
2 Grim Lavamancer
4 Wall of Omens

4 Lightning Bolt
3 Lightning Helix
3 Path to Exile

4 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Lingering Souls
3 Thoughtseize

4 Liliana of the Veil
3 Nahiri, the Harbinger

The average life-loss from a Bob flip is like 0.8. You're not playing anything higher than 4 CMC and the things you play at 4 CMC tend to gain you life, e.g. Huntmaster of the Fells or Kalitas.

You do see Bob players die to it, but most of those games are games where they were losing anyways and dropped 2 of them or something.

When was that calculated, I think the CMC went up a bit recently with the maindeck inclusions of Kolaghan's Command.
It all adds up, with the shock and fetchlands, the thoughtseize and the bobs. I've seen too many Jund decks rapidly increase their clock with their bob not to wonder.

There was this great moment a couple months ago where the Jund player had the game in the bag if his opponent didn't play to his outs and brought him to exactly to 4 life.

The problem is that I don't think the interaction is really all that overpowered. It's more flexible, but lots of spells in Modern are flexible. The only reason for something to be banned is if it actually breaks the game and is overpowered vs. the other spells in the format. I don't think GSZ is anything like that.

I'm with you. I say let's unban GSZ, Punishing Fire, and Dark Depths. Let's get a Modern 4C Loam deck going.

Bandini

What do you think of this little Nahiri brew I whipped up. I almost want to put SSG in there but I don't have room.

Seems ok but I'm not sure you have much of a win condition outside of Nahiri. With Jeskai you can win off Snapcaster and Colonnade. In your case you have more protection for Nahiri but without much card draw and only running 3 you could be in a tough spot. She could get removed or you just don't find her and you lose.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I don't know that I think this deck pressures your opponent enough or does enough to stall out their game plan.

It's also pricey enough that just switching to Scalding Tarns probably doesn't alter the deck price all that much.

Speaking of brews, if I had to show up to a Standard event tomorrow this is what I'd bring:

kjhlkjd2uo8.png

It just hit me they should have made a delirium incinerate. Basically add "Delirium - If there are 4 of more card types among cards in you graveyard Incendiary Flow has Flash." to Incendiary Flow.
Conditional flash sorceries are long overdue anyway.

Seems ok but I'm not sure you have much of a win condition outside of Nahiri. With Jeskai you can win off Snapcaster and Colonnade. In your case you have more protection for Nahiri but without much card draw and only running 3 you could be in a tough spot. She could get removed or you just don't find her and you lose.

I don't know that I think this deck pressures your opponent enough or does enough to stall out their game plan.

It's also pricey enough that just switching to Scalding Tarns probably doesn't alter the deck price all that much.

Good points.
I was looking at Lili and Nahiri dumping Lingering Souls into the yard if necessary, then using their Flashback to put them on the field.
Grim Lavamancer uses the cards you got rid of with Lili and Nahiri to turn them into bullets.
Wall of Omens is there for card draw albeit not as good as Bob, but the Emrakul says not to put him in there.
Shambling Vent is a man land, but not nearly as powerful as Colonnade.

Nahiri is definitely the main win condition, so perhaps up her to four and drop one Lili.

I also admit, this could just be a worse brew compared to other Nahiri decks out there.

They really should just get rid of Instants and roll Flash in with an Instant supertype like Maro wanted. It makes so much more sense.

Although Spell Queller being an Instant Creature and Raise the Alarm being an Instant Sorcery that makes creatures might be confusing to new players.

God's Beard!";212291040]They really should just get rid of Instants and roll Flash in with an Instant supertype like Maro wanted. It makes so much more sense. Although Spell Queller being an Instant Creature and Raise the Alarm being an Instant Sorcery that makes creatures might be confusing to new players.[/QUOTE] that seems more elegant than my idea of Emrakul having "protection from spells or permanent with flash" Also Caleb [URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMQdTUNVmHk said:
drafted[/URL] a sick UR spells deck here, don't necessarily agree with all his picks and deck building not to mention loose plays at times but the deck speaks for itself.

Do URL tags not work proper'y anymore?

Let's be real. Outside of some mild confusion for a while, what really changes?

Who cares if Petrified Root-Kin can't be blocked by Plaxmanta in Ravnica block flashback drafts? Dispel countering Snapcaster Mage and Archangel Avacyn might be a problem, though.

All you really have to do is errata Instants to Instant Sorceries and flash to instant creatures and boom. Problem solved. It's not like they haven't done stuff like that before like with removed from the game and exile. They recently updated the entire history of magic for the new colorless mana symbols too.

Didn't they fancy the idea to do that during time spiral block?

The M10 changes were so good in retrospective. I really can't say magic plays worse in any way, shape or form than it did when I was a kid on the contrary it plays much better. Except deathtouch that was a mess.

Yeef

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";212293398]Let's be real. Outside of some mild confusion for a while, what really changes?

Who cares if Petrified Root-Kin can't be blocked by Plaxmanta in Ravnica block flashback drafts? Dispel countering Snapcaster Mage and Archangel Avacyn might be a problem, though.

All you really have to do is errata Instants to Instant Sorceries and flash to instant creatures and boom. Problem solved. It's not like they haven't done stuff like that before like with removed from the game and exile. They recently updated the entire history of magic for the new colorless mana symbols too.[/QUOTE]They've come out and said that the grand creature type update was a mistake because having cards not be what they say they are is terrible UX. Having to explain that, no, my waterfront bouncer doesn't die, because it's a merfolk, even though it doesn't say so anywhere on the card is mostly bad for the game. Having to say that, no, your Archaeomancer can't get back your Archangel Avacyn even though it's an instant is similarly not great.

The colorless mana symbol is a much, much smaller deal and it still took players, even enfranchised players, some work to understand.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";212291040]They really should just get rid of Instants and roll Flash in with an Instant supertype like Maro wanted. It makes so much more sense.

Although Spell Queller being an Instant Creature and Raise the Alarm being an Instant Sorcery that makes creatures might be confusing to new players.[/QUOTE]

I don't see how it adds anything other than baggage at this point. I don't think people are confused about how Instants work.

We've had Conditional Flash sorceries. Swift Reckoning in Origins.

oh forgot that, wish they could come up with a simpler template than "as though it had"

They've come out and said that the grand creature type update was a mistake because having cards not be what they say they are is terrible UX. Having to explain that, no, my waterfront bouncer doesn't die, because it's a merfolk, even though it doesn't say so anywhere on the card is mostly bad for the game. Having to say that, no, your Archaeomancer can't get back your Archangel Avacyn even though it's an instant is similarly not great.

The colorless mana symbol is a much, much smaller deal and it still took players, even enfranchised players, some work to understand.

No one is gonna take, especially not the 7th edition version,
from me. Do all old school lords have had printings with their type?

Holy shit 7th Edition foil Lord of Atlantis go for €60, can't blame 'em.

But Dryad Arbor isn't necessarily any better than just putting Noble Hierarch in your deck. It's flexible, sure, but I don't think that's a particularly broken interaction.

On its own, no. I think the issue with GSZ is that it does so many things and provides so much flexibility at extremely efficient prices. I think their original claim that it's good enough that every green creature deck should warp itself around it is reasonably accurate.

They've come out and said that the grand creature type update was a mistake because having cards not be what they say they are is terrible UX.

They've said that they have some people in R&D who now think it might have been a mistake. They haven't said categorically that it was a mistake, which is good, because it wasn't a mistake and the people in R&D who think it was are fools.

I want this card to fucking come back.

I am honestly hard-pressed to think of a lot of non-Reserved cards with as many different factors preventing them from coming back as this one.

Angry Grimace

I am honestly hard-pressed to think of a lot of non-Reserved cards with as many different factors preventing them from coming back as this one.

Sensei's Divining Top ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

For Modern and the open formats yeah, but for Standard? It'd be fun as hell. All you gotta do if you're WotC is wait until you intentionally lower the power levels and balance out the colors.

I feel like they missed a big opportunity playing with land creatures in that shitfest of BfZ.

Yeef

I'll never understand how they managed to change loxodon hammer to lifelink though.
For a short time, lifelink was a triggered ability. During that window, they reprinted it with it saying Lifelink. Then they changed lifelink to a replacement effect; so since they'd printed a version that said lifelink, they just made that errata. It'd be odd to have a card that says it grants lifelink not grant lifelink.

For a short time, lifelink was a triggered ability. During that window, they reprinted it with it saying Lifelink. Then they changed lifelink to a replacement effect; so since they'd printed a version that said lifelink, they just made that errata. It'd be odd to have a card that says it grants lifelink not grant lifelink.

but that's the wrong versions!

And correct me if I'm wrong but Loxodon Warhammer and Aramdillo Cloak were stackable if you had multiples.(I didn't play back in that time)
Lifelink is just lifelink, you can't have more than one instance of it on the same creature.

Yeef

Eldritch Evolution is closer to Chord of Calling or Green Sun's Zenith than it is to Collected Company. What makes Company good is that it's instant speed card advantage AND tempo. The other cards are better served at tutoring up combo pieces and utility cards since they don't really offer any card advantage.

For Modern and the open formats yeah, but for Standard?

Like maybe one out of the 27-ish reasons this card will never be reprinted has anything to do with Constructed power level.

And correct me if I'm wrong but Loxodon Warhammer and Aramdillo Cloak were stackable if you had multiples.(I didn't play back in that time)
Lifelink is just lifelink, you can't have more than one instance of it on the same creature.

You could when it was a triggered ability.

Meant to ask you before, what's your sideboard look like? I don't have any copies of Firespout currently but it might be worth running... thoughts? I'm pretty new to piloting it, though there's a bunch of testing to come.

my sideboard is just a typical GR tron sideboard; 3x thragtusk, 2x Relic of Progenitus, 4x nature's claim, etc...

i dont have firespouts either so i'm running 3x bolts in my main and 3x kozilek's return in my side.

The M10 changes were so good in retrospective. I really can't say magic plays worse in any way, shape or form than it did when I was a kid on the contrary it plays much better. Except deathtouch that was a mess.

Good for you. However, I can, do, and will until my dying breath say that they're the worst thing that ever happened to Magic (with the possible exception of the people who like the changes. And the certain exception of the people who made the changes).

Ashodin

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";212346504]In all seriousness, this is the deck I'd show up with if I had to play Standard:
[/QUOTE]

You love spells way too much.

Santiako

I stopped playing after Coldsnap and started again with BfZ and all the rule changes are for the best. I took me a while to get used to damage no longer using the stack, but other than that all good.

ironmang

I didn't start playing seriously until after the M10 changes so I can't speak for that but everything they've done after has been for the better. The vancouver mulligan and legend changes were great.

Yep, and if the Bob has been around for awhile they've drawn so many cards that they an afford to bolt their Bob or lili edict it away.

I didn't start playing seriously until after the M10 changes so I can't speak for that but everything they've done after has been for the better. The vancouver mulligan and legend changes were great.
Block and Sac is still too good, now imagine that with the sacced creature still dealing damage.
Best thing about Vancouver mulligan is getting rid of partial Paris in EDH. Though it's annoying some people still ask which mulligan before a game. It's always Vancouver!

Firemind

So they are doing team unified modern GPs next year, that's pretty cool. Also, a super triple four day long GP in las vegas.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/pro-tour-eldritch-moon-organized-play-announcement-bookkeeping-2016-08-02

Both Legacy GPs are in the US, rest of the world legacy players keeps getting fucked.
Utrecht The Netherlands Jaarbeurs February 24–26, 2017
Amsterdam The Netherlands RAI June 2–4, 2017
Yes!

Standard
Standard
Boo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom