• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Three New clips from Kingsglaive Final Fantasy XV

God, that's looks visually stunning. As long as the fights are off the wall bat shit crazy like advent children this looks like a film I'll enjoy.

I'm a little bothered about the English v/o, but I can overlook the English lip sync and stick with the Japanese dub. The English vo sounds like your bog standard anime anyway, quality wise.

Arkeband

Banned
It kind of looks like they don't know how to animate certain English words properly?

Anyway, that's disappointing, I really thought they'd lip sync figured out, at least.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
God, that's looks visually stunning. As long as the fights are off the wall bat shit crazy like advent children this looks like a film I'll enjoy.

I'm a little bothered about the English v/o, but I can overlook the English lip sync and stick with the Japanese dub. The English vo sounds like your bog standard anime anyway, quality wise.
it's strange that with a film with so many western studios involved they went with acting direction that sounds like a dub for other characters yet had Sean Bean, Aaron Paul, and Lena Headey use their natural voices.

It kind of looks like they don't know how to animate certain English words properly?

Anyway, that's disappointing, I really thought they'd lip sync figured out, at least.
They used performance capture so they captured the facial expressions during the mocap shoots but it looks like they didn't touch it up nearly enough in the case of Adryn or there's something going wrong with the model. The way he says "trivial thing " is fine, that expression during 0:37 is fine. But it's like directly after those two minutes it's like straight into uncanny valley territory. Crowe at least looks fantastic so far in terms of facial expressions, no idea how it holds up during conversations tho.

EhoaVash

This movie looks stunning but I have to say all this FFxv related media is turning me off from the game. Like I get what they're trying to find good use for their luminous engine/create buzz but it's doing the opposite for me. I have no plans to see this movie, but it has actual back story to the game which bugs me. Hope the game doesn't have a lot of questions that relies on you to watch this movie.

Also I'm really put off by how some of these characters look really different in this movie than how they look in the actual game which is lame.

Ydelnae

That Ardyn scene... lol

You would think Noctis and Co would be able to hear/see all this from Hammerhead.

If you are talking about the battle, I think they said Lucis vs Niflheim clashes happen regularly. They must be aware of it. It would be cool if characters from the game referenced it, though.

sappyday

That Ardyn scene... lol

If you are talking about the battle, I think they said Lucis vs Niflheim clashes happen regularly. They must be aware of it. It would be cool if characters from the game referenced it, though.

Yea but the whole point of the road trip is cause of the peace treaty. Seeing a huge ass Diamond Weapon across the sky would set off some bells.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Man, I really wish the dubwork were stronger in this subseries. Ah well... it's not terrible. Just... dammit, why is FFXII still the gold standard a decade and countless industry innovations later? >_>

Looks great though.

Yep, Ardyn's facial movement, jesus. Uncanny valley for days. As people have said, Crowe's facial movement is great, though. I'm surprised how hit and miss the English VA is on the supporting cast, too.

With the second clip I can definitely see what Duckroll was talking about cinematography-wise in the Kingsglaive thread, too, there's a lot going on, and the cuts don't seem to have a lot of logic behind them. There's so much constant cutting, too, just hold on a camera angle for a few seconds, please.

...but the last clip though-! FUCK YES!

No idea what's going on, but Final Fantasy Starship Troopers and Diamond Weapon look dope. The entire thing looks visually spectacular despite the strange acting and lip syncing.

Oh shit. That looks amazing.

This will end up being
better than the
game

Edit: the second clip... why so many cuts? The editing looks terrible if that is how it is in the theatrical version.

Ardyn's outfit is completely horrendous in motion. Him waving his arms around with that... whatever it is dangling off his arm looks so absurd. It's super distracting and the overly affected voice work doesn't help. The voice actor literally sounds like he's reading a Dr Suess book to children.

Astral Dog

yeah the faces look weird, thats why im still unsure when people want a videogame with Kingsglaive "Artstyle".the games models still look more fitting in places, specially Ardyn, he looks very suspicious ��

looking good otherwise

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
OMG I can't wait!

When is it coming out again (digital)?

OMG August 30th.... why so far ;.;

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
All that wonk factor re: Ardyn just compelled me to register his name for an account on GameFAQs. If the guy's anywhere near as out-there in-game, I could see myself having a bit of good-natured fun posting in his... style in a few months.

wmlk

Ardyn's outfit is completely horrendous in motion. Him waving his arms around with that... whatever it is dangling off his arm looks so absurd. It's super distracting and the overly affected voice work doesn't help. The voice actor literally sounds like he's reading a Dr Suess book to children.

Yeah, Ardyn's outfit looked so good at the E3 2013 CG. It doesn't look good here :(

It doesn't work at all in brighter scenes.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I think this looks great. If it's a movie that just delivers cool CG spectacle like this, I can't be disappointed.

I don't get why SE can't get a competent Voice Director. You can't give an Anime-style performance when there's this much audio-visual information on display, it just feels really off and out of place.

Crossing Eden

All that wonk factor re: Ardyn just compelled me to register his name for an account on GameFAQs. If the guy's anywhere near as out-there in-game, I could see myself having a bit of good-natured fun posting in his... style in a few months.
Please don't.

I don't get why SE can't get a competent Voice Director. You can't give an Anime-style performance when there's this much audio-visual information on display, it just feels really off and out of place.
I feel like in 2016 companies shouldn't be giving anime style performances ever. Hands down it's absolutely shit acting as a style that I wish actors didn't have to subject themselves to. But that's just me.

I feel like in 2016 companies shouldn't be giving anime style performances ever. Hands down it's absolutely shit acting as a style that I wish actors didn't have to subject themselves to. But that's just me.

After watching way too much animu, my guess a lot of the time it's them trying to match the vocal delivery of the Seiyuus, which in many cases wasn't particularly good to begin with.

My point is though there are cases where the tone of the show--visuals, writing, etc-- is, intentionally or not, schlocky, and so the sort of sing-song, unnatural delivery makes sense (the overacting is generally in part to compensate for the lack of 'tells' due to body language). But now that we have extremely life-like facial and body animations, there's simply no excuse. Neir, for example, had a much less cheesy dub than most J-ARPGs, and was much better for it. I wish more games took after its direction.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Ardyn doesn't come across as anime to me. More like a flamboyant theatre geek.

Most of XV proper sounds anime though.

Crossing Eden

After watching way too much animu, my guess a lot of the time it's them trying to match the vocal delivery of the Seiyuus, which in many cases wasn't particularly good to begin with.

My point is though there are cases where the tone of the show--visuals, writing, etc-- is, intentionally or not, schlocky, and so the sort of sing-song, unnatural delivery makes sense (the overacting is generally in part to compensate for the lack of 'tells' due to body language). But now that we have extremely life-like facial and body animations, there's simply no excuse. Neir, for example, had a much less cheesy dub than most J-ARPGs, and was much better for it. I wish more games took after its direction.
Oh absolutely, it's all ADR, but matching the timing to stuff that's overacted even when the situation doesn't call for overacting, (see:FLCL). We've seen so many actors who've done an anime dub do astoundingly better when told to act like an actual person and more importantly, not distort their voice to something that sounds nothing like vocals coming from a person while reading this dialogue man. It's not like something like Spongebob or Rocko's Modern Life where the different voice helps.

wmlk

I don't mind Ardyn as much really. Ardyn sounds someone who's eccentric, not someone who has terrible dialogue. He's just a weirdo in that world.

I've heard much worse.

Top Bottom