• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Three New clips from Kingsglaive Final Fantasy XV

Falk

that puzzling face
Isn't Ardyn being condescending on purpose?

(I feel this is gonna be the new Tidus HA HA HA HA)

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Isn't Ardyn being condescending on purpose?

(I feel this is gonna be the new Tidus HA HA HA HA)
I feel like what they're going for is that this dude is supposed to be not only eccentric but also a bit creepy and unsettling based on the cinematography and his actions, (he's slowly walking towards the king as if he could strike at any moment). I'm really not getting that from the body language and especially the facial expressions as much as I should. Just did a rewatch without audio just to confirm.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
nDBZIUu.png

Oh absolutely, it's all ADR, but matching the timing to stuff that's overacted even when the situation doesn't call for overacting, (see:FLCL). We've seen so many actors who've done an anime dub do astoundingly better when told to act like an actual person and more importantly, not distort their voice to something that sounds nothing like vocals coming from a person while reading this dialogue man. It's not like something like Spongebob or Rocko's Modern Life where the different voice helps.

Uh, what do you mean about FLCL? I'm pretty sure most of that show is meant to be OTT and Gonzo.

At anyrate, again I think they're constrained by the material and sort of subcultural expectations, even if the results are mediocre. I do think Aniplex/Bang Zoom are moving towards more natural deliveries at least, while Funimation, since they mainly license shonen stuff, kind of is stuck being a bit zanier. But yeah, all that aside, JRPGs really shouldn't be limited to Anime tropes to begin with. JRPG Voice Direction should be done by the people dubbing everything else that comes out here, not by people who've trained themselves to match the cadences of anime.

I feel like what they're going for is that this dude is supposed to be not only eccentric but also a bit creepy and unsettling based on the cinematography and his actions, (he's slowly walking towards the king as if he could strike at any moment). I'm really not getting that from the body language and especially the facial expressions as much as I should. Just did a rewatch without audio just to confirm.

I think it's the tone and accent that's the problem. The faux-sycophantic cadence I think would be alright, but the tone he affects is extremely artificial, it doesn't sound like a tone any actual person would use.

mortal

Gold Member
Whoa. This movie is straight eye candy. The more I see of Kingsglaive, the more I need to experience a mainline Final Fantasy with this much density and nuance in detail.
A FF with Visual Works tier in-game visuals & animations feels like such a pipe dream.

Falk

that puzzling face
Whoa. This movie is straight eye candy. The more I see of Kingsglaive, the more I need to experience a mainline Final Fantasy with this much density and nuance in detail.
A FF with Visual Works tier in-game visuals & animations feels like such a pipe dream.

Remember when FF7 FMV was mindblowing?

I guess it'll happen sooner or later for gaming in general. Maybe in our lifetime.

Crossing Eden

Uh, what do you mean about FLCL? I'm pretty sure most of that show is meant to be OTT and Gonzo.
Mistyped a bit, was using FLCL as an example of something where overacting is justified.

At anyrate, again I think they're constrained by the material and sort of subcultural expectations, even if the results are mediocre. I do think Aniplex/Bang Zoom are moving towards more natural deliveries at least, while Funimation, since they mainly license shonen stuff, kind of is stuck being a bit zanier. But yeah, all that aside, JRPGs really shouldn't be limited to Anime tropes to begin with. JRPG Voice Direction should be done by the people dubbing everything else that comes out here, not by people who've trained themselves to match the cadences of anime.
I thought it wouldn't be considering the western support. Man I really hope Aaron Paul and Lena Headey are able to bring it.

I think it's the tone and accent that's the problem. The faux-sycophantic cadence I think would be alright, but the tone he affects is extremely artificial, it doesn't sound like a tone any actual person would use.
Yea exactly. There's no edge to it, think V or the Joker, their presence is threatening, his isn't despite the sound design sounding dreary as he takes his first step on the staircase leading up to the throne.

wmlk

Dammit I want Ardyn to be good so bad. Everything about him screams intrigue, but SE has to do him right.

Sesha

Cerberus looks cool. He should be a summon, though I know he won't.

Faces look weird. That mage chick in particular looks super goofy. She looks like a stick figure with the big head on top of the slim anime-esque body.

Holy shit, that
Diamond Weapon

"Hey guys, we know you like FF7. We do too. So here you go."

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Too many differences, but the core design is clearly a homage. Sheesh, it seems like the invasion was just a little overkilled...
There's also
Knights of the Round
in this movie. I'd say it's the real
Diamond Weapon just as much as Titan is the same one in FFIV
or whatever.

We're pretty much there with FFXV though

Ardyn is not human, calling it now

Arkeband

Banned
The way he says "Niflheim" looks and sounds like he's saying "miffleheim"

His mouth is completely closed for the "n".

Also now I'm convinced the feathery arm-shield is an homage to the one winged angel motif.

So, when do normal people get to watch it? Like, I don't mean theatrical release, I mean regular retail release or at least a streaming service of sorts.

I thought it wouldn't be considering the western support. Man I really hope Aaron Paul and Lena Headey are able to bring it.

I think they're going to be stiffled by getting nothing to work with. Also Nyx will probably at no point call someone a 'bitch', so that automatically is a failure for Paul.

Yea exactly. There's no edge to it, think V or the Joker, their presence is threatening, his isn't despite the sound design sounding dreary as he takes his first step on the staircase leading up to the throne.

I feel like he's begging for someone like Troy Baker, Nolan North, or even Matthew Mercer to give him a sort of gravely, devil-may-care feel. The tone as it is sounds too high and whimsical.

ViciousDS

Banned
meh, limited viewing this friday or just wait 15 days to enjoy it as much as I want for less then what it would even cost in gas alone lol.

I will own the digital edition and physical due to deluxe edition!

Can't wait, the animation looks amazing. Really, really like Ardyn's design

Crossing Eden

I think they're going to be stiffled by getting nothing to work with. Also Nyx will probably at no point call someone a 'bitch', so that automatically is a failure for Paul.

I feel like he's begging for someone like Troy Baker, Nolan North, or even Matthew Mercer to give him a sort of gravely, devil-may-care feel. The tone as it is sounds too high and whimsical.
I feel like Troy Baker and Nolan are done with this sort of acting at this point. Was the FF13 trilogy the last anime related thing Troy Baker did?

SoulUnison

Banned
I feel like Troy Baker and Nolan are done with this sort of acting at this point. Was the FF13 trilogy the last anime related thing Troy Baker did?

I kind of get the feeling Baker decided he was "too good" for animated stuff, at some point.

Kanji Tatsumi was one of his most recognizable and defining early roles, and Persona has a great reputation for transcending genre boundaries, but he still bailed on the character and series once he started getting bigger paychecks.

EDIT: Oops. That wasn't supposed to be a separate post. My bad.

Crossing Eden

I kind of get the feeling Baker decided he was "too good" for animated stuff, at some point.

Kanji Tatsumi was one of his most recognizable and defining early roles, and Persona has a great reputation for transcending genre boundaries, but he still bailed on the character and series once he started getting bigger paychecks.

EDIT: Oops. That wasn't supposed to be a separate post. My bad.
Hard to resist more recognition, bigger checks, and ofc, better scripts.

Yeah I think that was it, though for some reason he got cast in FMA: Brotherhood, which I think was the last actual anime he was part of before he really broke out in 2013.

I can't really blame him for getting out of anime; Steve Blum once said he gets paid several times more to play, say, Tank Dempsey in CoD Zombies than to voice a main character in an Anime. You really have to either be a fan or kinda not that good to stick around for Anime VA paychecks.

OTOH, Baker kinda can be a bit egotistical, or at least has given that air. I remember a friend saying he once trashed the original Silent Hill 2 VA in an interview he gave.

Crossing Eden

I think the issue with Adryn specifically is that the model seems to have trouble with this sort of expression.

YZ6kMVv.gif

"U" sounds specifically.

Top Bottom