• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
"There are still curlicues, but, like... nicer curlicues."

EDIT: confirmation that the Origins stuff was better realized since Kaladesh was already well in process.

Considering there are only three mechanics in the set, it's likely that energy will see far more major support than the Eldrazi Processors did.

It got bumped from Mirrodin and Alara specifically for requiring too much space, too.

Proliferate works with E, right?

Should, based on the wording.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
No, Doubling Season only affects counters on permanents.

It's not a very good use of Doubling Season anyways. You can ultimate like ~50% of Planeswalkers if you have Doubling Season out. Casting Jace, AOT with Doubling Season out lets you cast any card from your deck for free and 4 cards from your opponents deck. For free.

Hero

I love the art direction of this set. Very happy to see that BFZ block seemed to be the end of the terribad art.

I think there's a pretty good chance that if proliferate doesn't appear in Aether Revolt, it will at least be in the same Standard as Kaladesh.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
How tedious and fiddly is it to play Magic? It seems like there are an impossible number of things to keep track of at any one time.

kirblar

How tedious and fiddly is it to play Magic? It seems like there are an impossible number of things to keep track of at any one time.
I need ADHD meds to play at a high level competitively because of the tracking stuff. (note: have actual ADHD) Very easy to miss a minor thing and lose because of it.

Santiako

EN_AER_ProductHeader.jpg

Just noticed that the set art for Aether Revolt has Chandra, an Aetherborn and an Elf, I wonder if it's a RGB (revolt) vs UW (consulate) thing.

Crocodile

LOL @ using an old version of the presentation. Glad to hear they are trying to make sure Green and Black have something positive to do with artifacts.

Fou-Lu

Compared to heavy board games or miniature wargames like Warmachine and Hordes? Not so bad. I'd say it's somewhere in the middle of the pack as far as tabletop game complexity and 'fiddliness' goes.

The good thing about Magic is that there are various formats you can play, of different levels of complexity. Standard has much fewer cards to consider than, say, Modern. And of course, in casual play, you only have to care about what your friends play.

I recommend playing Magic Duels, which has a relatively small card pool and is free.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
What sort of things? There is a lot going on, but with even a dozen games under your belt you'll start developing instincts for what does and doesn't matter in a given situation

EDIT : As Kirblar touched on it follows an arc. First it's overwhelming. Then you "get it". Then you get serious and start paying attention to all that stuff again

alternade

So do energy counters sit on the field or are they in exile/command zone? I just know there has to be a card that will steal energy somehow

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The problem isn't keeping track of the board state in modern Magic, its mostly trying to figure out potential interactions and how to sequence stuff. That's why I lose a lot.

White vs. red in this set being dwarves vs. gremlins is pretty fun.

Also, no necromancy at all on Kaladesh is pretty surprising.

Gonti is pretty neat. A bit disappointed this means we probably won't get rakshasas.

EDIT: Happy to see they considered the colonialist implications of pure steampunk with Kaladesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom