• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that Aethersworn is a new creature type, and they didn't go with Elemental.

Also, stealing from the opponent's library seems to have settled in black now.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Why? to have any effect in combat you have to crew them before declaring attackers or blockers anyway.
If I'm attacking into a vehicle during my declare attackers I have to consider both the board state as is and the ways they might crew it before blockers, unless I'm mistaken

This story spotlight technology is pretty neat, I wonder if they'll start to extend it to other stuff. They could definitely make use of the ability to call out websites or unify certain cards together visually.

Also:

48b754bc06e2786834f7953ea3effdbb.png

Gonti is pretty neat. A bit disappointed this means we probably won't get rakshasas.

The biggest sad thing for me so far is that a lot of the South Asian bestiary/imagery seems to have been taken by Tarkir and are out of scope here. Rakshasas, Naga, all this stuff would've been nice.

Toxi

Banned
A Boros commander that does something that's not related to attacking? This really is the greatest set ever!

alternade

Most importantly this set is making me smile and get my cogs turning. After the despair of the last 2 blocks and eldrazi exhaustion, I'm ready for good lighthearted fun.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That question about adding more fat guys to Magic was weird as hell.

Glad that dwarves will be red/white after all (at least in small numbers). Depala is really neat, and I love that she's both a dwarf and vehicle lord.

EDIT: Glad that we have a black race that isn't evil, and generally presents black in a different way.

That question about adding more fat guys to Magic was weird as hell.

Literally just the guy following up after asking about diversity five years ago (when they sucked a lot more on at the time) on boxes they haven't checked -- and given that they've just done a paraplegic planeswalker, a black female planeswalker, a trans legend, an agender planeswalker, etc. fat people are one of the only ones left.

loved that Indian dude haha

Shivam's been writing cool stuff about Indian mythology and culture and how it could intersect with Magic for a while now, really glad he got to make it in for a question and loved Jarvis' answer.

El Topo

The return of the dwarves. *sheds a tear*

did you know that when you are playing magic you are not actually casting spells

you are actually just taking pieces of cardboard and manipulating them in various ways using your hands

I mean, if you feel that what they've shown encapsules the very essence of inventing, that's fine. Stating the obvious and/or parroting what they've said doesn't change my initial impression.

kirblar

They just did Daretti.

It's a combat game. Different builds is good (and the different races mostly provide that), but people fighting tend to be in shape.

I'm just curious (and I hope you don't mind me asking) but would having Loxodon in Kaladesh bothered you personally at all?

I would have been annoyed, and after hearing that guy at the Q&A, I would have been disappointed. Especially if they did that and not the bear people I actually wanted from an India-based set. It should be noted the only elephant-headed person in Indian mythology is the god Ganesha (and the demon his head was stolen from, it's complicated).

Although thinking about it, I'm slightly disappointed that this talking with advisors seemingly made them avoid monkeys. That's something cliche that I wanted.

Crocodile

They just did Daretti.

It's a combat game. Different builds is good (and the different races mostly provide that), but people fighting tend to be in shape.

You could argue that you don't need to be fit to shoot lightning out of your finger tips and creature types like Dwarves lend themselves well to stockier builds. I think the real reason it might be a hard sell, and this actually ties into another conversation I was having, is that fat people aren't shown the same degree as respect or empathy as other groups IRL. Even though genetics plays a role for sure, you aren't really "born" fat. Whereas you are decidedly born Race X, Gender X, Cis/Trans, etc. and if you get paralyzed because you got hit by a car, that's almost certainly not your fault.

Hero

By the way does anyone own the Art of Magic books? The Innistrad one is only 18 dollars on Amazon, tempted to pick it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom