• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Itagaki's New Game Announced on SpikeTV (Devil's Third)

a Master Ninja said:
EVIDENCE
1.) Valhalla Game Studios is made up of the entire team responsible for the DOA franchise, and they hired a Virtua Fighter 5 character designer.
2.) THQ announced they are publishing a game that has "a certain amount of melee combat in it" from a "major developer", to be revealed at E3.
3.) On the June 1st Bombcast, an hour and 28 minutes in, Jeff Gerstmann mentions that a "Japanese company/Japanese game maker type dude" signed a publishing deal with THQ.
CONCLUSION
a3gsvp.jpg

Very strange.
Amended conclusion upon revisiting the THQ quote.

I might have imagined it, but wasn't there an interview where Itagaki said that his studios publishing partner wouldn't be what people expected, which lead to lots of 'Namco-Bandai, he's working on Tekken' jokes?

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Assuming A Master Ninja is right, which he probably is, note the THQ quote is about 'a game with a certain amount of melee combat, but...', which doesn't sound like a straight fighter.

D2M15 said:
Assuming A Master Ninja is right, which he probably is, note the THQ quote is about 'a game with a certain amount of melee combat, but...', which doesn't sound like a straight fighter.
Valid point, that quote wouldn't rule out a brawler or action game. 1UP just assumed that it must be a fighting game and put that in their article title.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
D2M15 said:

There can be fighters ala Soul Calibur that have weapons, doesn't necessarily mean it can't be a straight fighter.

ArjanN

THQ, eh?

A while ago, Itagaki said he is interested in PC development.

THQ makes a possible PC release more likely.

Also, hope it's an action or action-adventure type game, not a fighter. I have enough fighters for now.

_dementia said:
didn't know gaf was so anti-fighting until this thread :/

Gaf is not anti-fighting. It's just that they like action games like Ninja Gaiden even more.

imtehman said:
its not so much that they are anti fighting, its just that SSF4 just came out and MVC3 is coming soon, there's not much room for fighting games

Not to mention Blazblue, also Virtua Fighter will probably come to consoles, etc..

imtehman

Banned
_dementia said:

its not so much that they are anti fighting, its just that SSF4 just came out and MVC3 is coming soon, there's not much room for fighting games

_dementia said:
It's not anti-fighting, we just want something new from Itagaki.

ArjanN said:
THQ, eh?

A while ago, Itagaki said he is interested in PC development.

THQ makes a possible PC release more likely.

Also, hope it's an action or action-adventure type game, not a fighter. I have enough fighters for now.
Microsoft will release Fable III for Windows as well.

brotkasten said:
It's not anti-fighting, we just want something new from Itagaki.

I don't think a new fighting game would necessarily mean it would be a DoA clone. I wouldn't mind somebody having a crack at some new ideas in the genre. Maybe pick up the mantle from stuff like Powerstone and Bushido Blade, or even something that nobody has ever done before.

WrikaWrek said:
Just sayin

Uh Kojima did Policenauts, ZOE, MGS, Snatcher, Tokimeki Memorial

Matsuno did Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy XII (kinda) Vagrant Story, Tactics Orge. Granted they're all RPGs they're all pretty different from each other the only thing connecting is the expansive consistent world he created. That's slightly different from making 1 decent fighting game, and NGB.

imtehman said:
/scratches head

Making one great game does not make you a legend. That's like saying <random basketball player> is in the same league as Kobe, LeBron, and others because he lead scoring for X team in the finals.

Again, not taking anything away from NG, because it's one of my favorite games ever. But I just never understood why people put him in the same sentence as people like Mikami, Kamiya, Miyamoto. Itagaki needs to diverse his portfolio and prove he's not a two trick pony who's greatest skill is rehashing what he did years ago and somehow making it worse. (Yes I said it, I thought NG2 was a stepback from NGB.)

I mean shit I'm still waiting on a few promises from Itagaki, I'm waiting for his "swan song" that would make Kamiya wake up, and my favorite from the DOA3 era. Bruising, clothing ripping, etc.

/sigh.

jns

Itagaki, I havn't cried in frustration at my own dog like video gaming skills since NG2, please amend this situation.

I think I will love whatever he creates, but if it was something like "The Return of Ryo Habarussa : English Nanny is de-throned" I would love it just that little bit more.

MS needs to pull their heads out of their collective bums. Why wouldn't they approach Itagaki for exclusivity on his new game after all he's done for them in the past?

Well he seems to have a knack for high-speed action, so I'm hoping for some kind of action-adventure. If it is, I just hope it's fresh. I also have the weird feeling we'll see more tits and blood.

andymcc

Banned
les papillons sexuels said:
I want the spiritual successor for ninja gaiden 2, but with a bit more rpg elements and a story.

itagaki, cinematics visionary.

fuck that. i want to inexplicably move from frozen tundra, to magma-filled caverns at the drop of a hat. i want nonsense cut scenes with people punching rockets, talking dinosaurs and boob jiggling.

Dresden

I kind of want him to make a third person shooter just to see if he could make a better game than Vanquish (which will be totally awesome btw). I dunno, two japanese dudes doing two TPS games might revolutionize the genre like Resident Evil 4 did.

A shooter with the fluid grace of Ninja Gaiden. Maybe he'll remove the whole cover mechanic thing and just have people dodge bullets while rhythmically taking out enemies in giant rocket launcher combos as the enemies blow up in bloody chunks.

andymcc

Banned
Dresden said:
I kind of want him to make a third person shooter just to see if he could make a better game than Vanquish (which will be totally awesome btw). I dunno, two japanese dudes doing two TPS games might revolutionize the genre like Resident Evil 4 did.

A shooter with the fluid grace of Ninja Gaiden. Maybe he'll remove the whole cover mechanic thing and just have people dodge bullets while rhythmically taking out enemies in giant rocket launcher combos as the enemies blow up in bloody chunks.

i'll be honest with you dude, i totally have an erection right now.

If it is a fighting game, I hope the characters actually look like people and not dolls.

les papillons sexuels said:
I want the spiritual successor for ninja gaiden 2, but with a bit more rpg elements and a story.
This will never happen.

TreIII

Die Squirrel Die said:
I don't think a new fighting game would necessarily mean it would be a DoA clone. I wouldn't mind somebody having a crack at some new ideas in the genre. Maybe pick up the mantle from stuff like Powerstone and Bushido Blade, or even something that nobody has ever done before.

Yeah, this. :D

Beat em up or fighting game, there's still a whole hell of a lot of ground that has yet to be covered in these genres, in my eyes.

I've already gone over my Beat-em-up ideas earlier, but I think fighting games are even worse off. We haven't had a truly "new" take on a fighting game since around the turn of the century, when Smash Bros. and Powerstone were out and about, and I believe that needs to change.

So, again, I would love to see if he may return to either of these genres some day. Even if it's not this particular game. But if this THQ guess is right on, well, then, good job, THQ. :D

harSon

Banned
An Action-Adventure game with a luchador main character, in the vein Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry would be awesome. Make it happen Itagaki.

eso76

Dresden said:

For some reason i do expect a tp shooter with a rather fleshed out melee combat system for close range stuff. And rpg elements. And a better 3d engine than NG2, please.

DR2K said:
Besides lacking red blood. I fail to see what disadvantage Sigma 2 would have.

Everything

EDIT:
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
It's been discussed a million times already, let's not turn this thread into another NG2 vs. NGS2 pissing contest.

Didn't see this reply. Subject dropped.

Rad-

Spirit of Jazz said:
MS needs to pull their heads out of their collective bums. Why wouldn't they approach Itagaki for exclusivity on his new game after all he's done for them in the past?

What makes you think they didn't? I'd bet my ass they did but Itagaki said he wanted his next title to be a huge seller so perhaps this time he didn't want to do a single platform release.

And either way, we still don't know the publisher. This THQ thing is just speculation.

I personally just hope that it's not a fighter. Not a fan of the genre myself. Not hoping for an action game either as Itagaki basically perfected the genre already with NGB. Something more adventure based would be nice and interesting.

Elios83 said:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/thq-were-acquiring-talent-not-buying-studios

THQ: We're acquiring talent, not buying studios

"You're going to see an announcement [this] Friday of a new game with a developer, and hopefully the week after that you're going to see an announcement about a team that we have acquired to inhabit a studio of ours. And these are people you'll know," hinted Bilson.

We might know this friday!
Maybe it's the GTTV exclusive reveal.

http://twitter.com/geoffkeighley

Those guys are definitely legendary!

On Friday's Pre-E3 special on Spike, a legendary game designer will unveil his next project and show gameplay! You won't want to miss it.

maybe it's real ? legendary = valhalla
legendary game designer = itagaki :D

i just want the game.. now.

FrankT

Elios83 said:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/thq-were-acquiring-talent-not-buying-studios

THQ: We're acquiring talent, not buying studios

"You're going to see an announcement [this] Friday of a new game with a developer, and hopefully the week after that you're going to see an announcement about a team that we have acquired to inhabit a studio of ours. And these are people you'll know," hinted Bilson.

We might know this friday!

Hmm, nice find. Perhaps it is Itagaki for Friday then. This should be well interesting.

Top Bottom