• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

100 DOS games, I cried a little

itxaka

Defeatist
Damn soo good.

This reminds me, someone handed me a dvd some months ago with several hundred dos games all supposedly already configured with dosbox and with a frontend launcher all ready to play.

Should boot on windows some time and have a go at it, it should cover a lot of my childhood games.

Nev

Banned
Dangerous Dave <3. I had forgotten it, probably one of the first games I played, being like 6. It was great.

halfbeast

Banned
boy, some of them look rough. I wanted to go back to play some old games I haven't touched since release, and they all look incredibly outdated. Abuse and Jagged Alliance (the first one) especially!

Can't watch it now, but was Crusader No Remorse/Regret in there?

it was.

ScOULaris

Man, what a great video. Thanks for sharing.

I still love the look of most DOS games. They had that crisp, software-rendered look to them that stands out to me.

Has there been a better emulator than dos box?
DB seems to have a difficult time getting certain games to run 60fps at higher resolutions like 1024x768 even with a high end pc.

Worms 1 on an actual windows 98 machine runs WAY better than on dosbox.

Fou-Lu

I have played way more of these games than I expected. Dungeon Keeper, Wizardry, Heroes of Might and Magic, oh yessss.

Tunahead

Finally someone else who played stunts!

Stunts was the best. I played it so much I managed to figure out a specific physics glitch by just replicating the results by accident through endless repetition.

Uncle Tunahead's Stunts physics glitch tutorial:

1) Choose a race against an AI driver.
2) Pick the fastest car for yourself and the slowest car for the AI. Now all the pieces are in place for the tragedy to unfold.
3) Once the race begins, gently nudge the front corner of your vehicle into the opponent's rear wheel. This is why you need the opponent to drive a manky humvee, so he can't escape your diabolical shenanigans.
4) Marvel as your vehicle achieves escape velocity.

Once you get the hang of it, you can kind of anticipate your launch vector well enough to build custom tracks around guiding your supersonic carpocalypse trajectory.

Loved this video... I was a teenager through these years and played every PC game I could. Those were the days when PC gaming wasn't so easy and it was just us geeks really committed to it to make it work. Seemed like every game required you to screw around with your config.sys and autoexec.bat to get that memory allocation just right or whatever other driver IRQ conflict sorted away. I remember how angry I got just trying to get Ultima 7 working with its stupid voodoo memory.

I laugh when I see console owners say that PC gaming is just too complicated... they have no idea how easy it is now compared to how it used to be.

Heh I didn't know Theme Park was originally a DOS game. I loved that game on PS1. Also didn't realize DOS games were still coming out until the year 2000

It wasn't in the video but does anybody remember Quarantine?

YES! I loved Quarantine. Sure, the setting was an Escape from New York rip off, but that's what made it so great. The ability to customize your vehicle with weapons was awesome. I watched a youtube vid on it last year to just revisit it. Would love to see a modern day equivalent.

Oh, the days where you had to optimize your memory by editing autoexec.bat and config.sys to get a game to load properly. And also, the obligatory configuring the sound card with IRQ's and DMA's and whatever. Never knew what in the crap that was all about, but got it to work nevertheless. And well, if i didn't get the sound to work i could always do with the good ol' PC speaker *beeep ploooop meeep*. Such a hassle back then getting things to run..

lol... should have read this entire thread before making my post. I basically said the exact same thing... god damn it it was frustrating, but you'd spend all night fiddling with that crap if it meant playing Wing Commander until the sun came up.

Tunahead

Loved this video... I was a teenager through these years and played every PC game I could. Those were the days when PC gaming wasn't so easy and it was just us geeks really committed to it to make it work. Seemed like every game required you to screw around with your config.sys and autoexec.bat to get that memory allocation just right or whatever other driver IRQ conflict sorted away. I remember how angry I got just trying to get Ultima 7 working with its stupid voodoo memory.

I laugh when I see console owners say that PC gaming is just too complicated... they have no idea how easy it is now compared to how it used to be.

I did pretty well with most of that stuff, even Ultima VII's weird proprietary memory manager, by making a boot menu with the menuitem system supported by config.sys and autoexec.bat, so I could just switch between memory systems on boot without additional boot file edits.

The real tricksy part for me was specifically Dreamweb. I had the CD version of it, and it required some insane amount of RAM available, like 620K out of 640K or similar. And with having to load mouse drivers and CD-ROM drivers and audio drivers it was eventually not even enough to just mess with buffers and files variables, I had to get third party memory efficient drivers for the mouse and CD-ROM.

ghibli99

Watching this video, I realize that I played almost all of these, but finished very few. I played games on everything, but gravitated more towards consoles. Good stuff though.

Stunts was the best. I played it so much I managed to figure out a specific physics glitch by just replicating the results by accident through endless repetition.

Uncle Tunahead's Stunts physics glitch tutorial:

1) Choose a race against an AI driver.
2) Pick the fastest car for yourself and the slowest car for the AI. Now all the pieces are in place for the tragedy to unfold.
3) Once the race begins, gently nudge the front corner of your vehicle into the opponent's rear wheel. This is why you need the opponent to drive a manky humvee, so he can't escape your diabolical shenanigans.
4) Marvel as your vehicle achieves escape velocity.

Once you get the hang of it, you can kind of anticipate your launch vector well enough to build custom tracks around guiding your supersonic carpocalypse trajectory.

My weekend, it is now spoken for.

Kvik

I did pretty well with most of that stuff, even Ultima VII's weird proprietary memory manager, by making a boot menu with the menuitem system supported by config.sys and autoexec.bat, so I could just switch between memory systems on boot without additional boot file edits.

I had a separate menu entry for Origin games, since they are the hardest to run with anything else. Had another for those games with a CD, with MSCDEX.EXE loaded. And a generic setting to load anything else.

If I didn't have fun editing my config.sys and autoexec.bat back then, I didn't think i will have fun editing .ini files today.

Shaneus

Finally watched that video, definitely brought back some memories!

Some games I thought might've made the cut but didn't, though:

Supaplex
Megarace
EGATrek
Captain Comic
Monuments of Mars/Pharaoh's Tomb
Wacky Races
Test Drive/The Duel/Grand Prix Circuit/The Cycles

There were fewer older games (pre-386, like CGA/EGA titles) than I was hoping for, too.

blackjaw

Finally watched that video, definitely brought back some memories!

Some games I thought might've made the cut but didn't, though:

Supaplex
Megarace
EGATrek
Captain Comic
Monuments of Mars/Pharaoh's Tomb
Wacky Races
Test Drive/The Duel/Grand Prix Circuit/The Cycles

There were fewer older games (pre-386, like CGA/EGA titles) than I was hoping for, too.

Yep plenty of 286 cga/ega games...makes me feel old haha

the world needs more stunts/whiplash.

Why the world hasn't gotten a modern, multiplayer stunts is beyond me. The market is there (Trackmania), but they can go a little further with it than that.

(I miss Hard Driving/Race Drivin).

wazoo

Has there been a better emulator than dos box?
DB seems to have a difficult time getting certain games to run 60fps at higher resolutions like 1024x768 even with a high end pc.

Worms 1 on an actual windows 98 machine runs WAY better than on dosbox.

You should try recent SVN versions of Dosbox.

Just got my DOS PC finished up yesterday, and plan on using this video as a guide for finding some games. :D

Also it's pretty nice that a lot of GOG games are easy to move over to actual DOS. Getting Doom and Quake moved was pretty simple. Need to get the Ultima games moved too.

Finally someone else who played stunts!

My dad played Stunts. The map editor was cool because of what stunts you could put on the track.

I played a number of these, notably the LucasArts games, MechWarrior 2, Descent, and Command & Conquer. I heard of a number of them too thanks to PC Gamer.

Geez, I'd pay for a bundle that contained every single one of those games if they were guaranteed to run without hassle. Lots of stuff in there I've never heard of before but looks great.

Sorry for little offtopic, but can you help me guys? I remember that i found not long time ago some channel on youtube that has videos like that with just gameplay footage, but for games that released in specific year, for example video named something like "2004 pc games" with Half-Life 2, Far Cry, Vampire TMB and etc footage. Unfortunately, i can't find it anymore, simple google search giving me videos about pc gaming rigs and personal top 100 of some unknown youtubers. Maybe somebody knows about this channel? I love to see retro videos without annoying commentaries like this.

shandy706

A thread full of memories.

Is there anyone on Earth that was over the age of 2 in the 90s (that owned a PC) and DIDN'T play Epic Pinball? I laughed when I saw it pop up.

Top Bottom