• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What racist things have you done in your life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm ashamed to say but in the past I was racist. I had some 'friends' who were complete shitheads and I shared their opinions. Fortunately as I grew old I learned how idiotic being a racist is. Now I love everyone :3

Trying to unlearn some hateful shit I thought about white people growing up, but even now thinking about some of the injustices out there, combined with the things i've seen on the internet and in real life, it's a struggle not to fall back into that hatred. I dont even like stereotyping all white people as ignorant, but I must say it takes a long time for me to make white friends because I have to take their political/racial opinions/stances into account before anything else.

In any case, one of my closest friends is white/latino (white passing though) and it was because of them that I eased off most of the hateful stuff. Its still a struggle though.

Prob. like 6 or 7 years ago some friends and I went to a strip club somewhere in Maryland. The area was a little sketch, and after we parked these three black guys started yelling at us. We just pretended to not hear them and kind of hurried away....................it turns out that they were trying to warn us that our car would get a ticket where we parked. Worst part is that I'm black, but have had and upper-middle class upbringing and have always felt uncomfortable in low class areas. I guess that makes me classist? I recognize it's wrong but can't help the feeling.

Growing up, I used to make fun of native american people calling them poor, thieves, worthless. I got it directly from my parents. The fucking irony is that we are native ourselves, just don't live the traditional native life. Apparently that makes us better. Fuck that, and fuck my parents for giving me those ideals

Growing up, I used to make fun of native american people calling them poor, thieves, worthless. I got it directly from my parents. The fucking irony is that we are native ourselves, just don't live the traditional native life. Apparently that makes us better. Fuck that, and fuck my parents for giving me those ideals

Jesus this is some deep stuff right here.
Glad you recognized it though.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Might not be racist, but definitely annoying, but I've done the "Where you from? Yeah but where are you really from?" shit so many times when I was younger.

Such a fucking obnoxious thing to do. I've also had the usual stereotypical view of people though, like "gypsies are all thieves", these days I know that while there are definitely some Roma that are unruly, there are also Roma who are good people with a strong sense of tradition in the way they dress and their way of life. I feel that's one of my most important realisations when it comes to racism, it doesn't matter what you look like, culture, religion, country of origin, there are good people in every group and there are bad people in every group. People being shitheads is independent of race.

Kisaya

The Arab community casually refers to Black people as "abeed," which in Arabic translates to slave. They know this but don't bother to correct themselves. I was doing the same before I was told what it really meant.

Similarly I never knew "paki" was a slur because in high school I had classmates of Pakistani descent refer to each other as "pakis," and I would do the same without being corrected. Was really surprised after seeing complaints on the internet.

I assume white popular/jock type males and older white males will dislike me so I make less effort to interact with them.

Didn't realise until the last few years, but it's subconscious. I get on well with colleagues, but only have two good friends that are white.

maks

When people talk about the innocence of children they are far from the truth. Kids are racist as hell lmao.

At least many mature as they age

When I was in fourth grade, if we got in trouble in class or something we had to stand by a wall during recess. I had to stand by the wall one day, and since I was bored I decided to kick a rock. The rock went a little further and with more force than I anticipated. It hit a window and put a crack in it. A teacher came outside and asked who did it, and I blamed a black kid who was also standing on the wall.

She believed me.

Faustek

For a while I really hated everyone.
White people, black people and the whole spectra in between. I justified it by the white folks not liking me because I was black and the black folks not liking me because my dad was white. Tried to make myself believe I actually got the best of both worlds and the rest were just jealous because of that. Thankfully I grew out if that fairly easy as I finally got real friends that were just that. Friends.

I say racist jokes all of the time, but I only tell them with multi ethnic friends and do self hating hispanic booked (plus take the jokes). I love my group of self hating multicultural friends.

Kinda dealed with it all like this myself. Jokes that are really racist about oneself. You think you heard Racism from the chanting skinheads? They've nothing on us. I hated that but it was dealing with it. Make it to a joke yourself and remove the power it holds. Own it and make it yours. Didn't really work for me other than you had come backs prepared.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
My dad is from mexico. A few years ago a cousin on my dad's side sent me a friend request on facebook, she lives in LA. I looked at her profile and looked at her friend list and I said to my wife: "Man, look at all these Mexicans!"

Kind of felt bad instantly after that. Made me realize clearly, I don't really mix a whole lot with other Mexicans.

Shiggy

schokokuss_birgit_h.jpg

I'm calling these "Negerkuss", which means "negro's kiss".

Damerman

Some lady merged into my lane when I was on my motorcycle on the freeway. No signal, didn't slow down, and she didn't even do the over the shoulder look. She smacked the side of my exhaust with her car and nudged me a bit. I was super pissed and pulled off to check my bike and she pulled up right behind me. Took my helmet off and very audibly said "of course you're fucking Asian". Felt like a shitbag the moment it came out of my mouth and I said sorry right after. She was about my age (19/20) and said sorry and offered me some money which I declined. I don't think I've ever gone from full anger to embarrassment in such an instant, really weird feeling.
Jesus christ. I feel shame for you.

Faustek

schokokuss_birgit_h.jpg

I'm calling these "Negerkuss", which means "negro's kiss".

Yeah I've heard that many times and an X used to say that he wanted my neger kyssar. Didn't mind but then I started thinking about this picture. Never could shake it and asked him to stop.

U2V8FSu.jpg

Mike M

Nick N
I inadvertently defended the white-washing in that Pan movie from a few months back. It was late, I was tired, I was completely missing the point, and looked like an idiot.

Shiggy

Yeah I've heard that many times and an X used to say that he wanted my neger kyssar. Didn't mind but then I started thinking about this picture. Never could shake it and asked him to stop.

U2V8FSu.jpg

Isn't it negerboll (chokladboll) in Sweden? Haven't seen the Negerkuss/Schokokuss in Sweden at all.

Moff

when we were in kindergarten we dressed up in national/traditional garments of the other kids' nations in class (we had a lot of immigrants) and they dressed up in ours. we cooked and ate each others food, played each others games, did foreign hairstyles etc. and had tons of fun doing that.

but today I know that was cultural appropriation and was disgusting and wrong.

ResoRai

I frequently find myself reading any reading assignments I have in various stereotypical voices when I start to get bored.

"When you be doin' dem in-text citaaations..."
"Mayke sure yeeou give creydit"
"Use prupar fohrmat when sipping a spoh uh tea"

And then I start sounding like Obama and Rick Grimes.

Several years ago when I was working as a cashier through an agency firm, one time when I was at a new store, a gypsy woman came in and an employee told me to watch her carefully, explaining how they have a tendency to put stuff up inside their dresses.

Back then I didn't give it that much thought, but later on I came to think about it more. Like, if they've actually had a lot of history with gypsy women coming in and putting stuff in their dresses and getting caught for it,, I can understand. But I have a feeling it's more like one gypsy woman got caught for it at some point and after that the employees have a bias against them. But I dunno.

when we were in kindergarten we dressed up in national/traditional garments of the other kids' nations in class (we had a lot of immigrants) and they dressed up in ours. we cooked and ate each others food, played each others games, did foreign hairstyles etc. and had tons of fun doing that.

but today I know that was cultural appropriation and was disgusting and wrong.
Not quite sure if serious or not. I mean, I'll confess, cultural appropriation is one of those things that are really hard for me to understand (yes, my privilege plays a large part in it), but I can still see how there's an argument to be made about it being cultural appropriation. But to call it disgusting (this case that is)? I just really fail to see that, so I'm honestly not sure if you're being sarcastic or serious.

It is in Norway. Although it´s not very common to hear people say it anymore. For obvious reasons.
Yeah I think the thing has been pretty common in many countries of Europe. In Finland it was called a "Nigger's kiss" too. Not very long ago either since it was changed only in 2001 (now they're just kisses).

Apparently the feedback towards the change was almost 100% negative..

Vitten

- Laugh at racist jokes ( if they are funny of course)
- In trafic I often mutter very foul language at drivers who piss me off with their bad driving and this will include all sorts of racial slurs depending on the race of the driver.
- when I read newspaper articles about crimes and it mentions the race of the perpetrator I sometimes involuntary find myself thinking " of course it had be a an -insert racial stereotype- "

oni_saru

I did something similar to OP. I was doing research and had a participant with a Spanish looking name. He was running late so i went to the front to check.

There was a guy at the waiting room who looked white. I assumed he wasn't my participant. I went back to my office and the receptionist finally called to say he was here. Turns out he was definitely my participant.

I felt so bad and racist for doing this. Even worse, as a latina who ppl always think i'm white, i should have known better. :(

-sdp

I have a funny accidental racist one, I must've been in 6th grade or so and a student-teacher taking over asked us to write a story so I came up with this generically awesome good vs evil story but I didn't know what to call the bad guys so I decided to use "negro" since it meant black in Spanish and I thought I was being clever. I can only imagine what the teacher was thinking as he graded it.

Lamel

Banned
The Arab community casually refers to Black people as "abeed," which in Arabic translates to slave. They know this but don't bother to correct themselves. I was doing the same before I was told what it really meant.

Similarly I never knew "paki" was a slur because in high school I had classmates of Pakistani descent refer to each other as "pakis," and I would do the same without being corrected. Was really surprised after seeing complaints on the internet.

Paki is more of a slur in the UK than it is in the USA in my experience. In the USA often times pakistani teens say they are "paki".

I lived in a lower income inner city neighborhood. Our house was burglarized 3 times. Our bikes were stolen out of the garage almost every summer. My Mom's car broken into.

I always assumed it was African Americans whole did these things without any evidence to corroborate.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
I think most white people are racist. There's a small few that aren't, but the majority are. It's just the way it is.

I can find some racist jokes funny in a fucked up way.
Internalized racism.
Sometimes used the n-word in a casual way while talking to white friends in private, but trying to phase that out.

...yeah, I've got a long way

I can't think of anything. But I am regularly startled at how often race is on the minds of my asian and indian friends. they say something that sounds like a stereotype or otherwise very questionable and are sure to mention something about race at least once a day and blame their parents/upbringing for the thoughts.

fantomena

Through my 21 years I honestly don't think Ive ever done something racist. If I have, I at least don't remember it, which is a good thing cause I wouldn't want to rememember me being hateful. Being racist is imo nothing to be proud of, it's hateful and I don't want to be hateful. The second I become racist is the second Ive failed myself.

Im white btw.

ThisGuy

I'm black. In Florida. Recently, I mentioned that I hate going out in my town because the white folks around me are all Trump supporters. I was called racist. That's some sit and spin talk..

I mean to be fair, you do hate white people. Or white men at least. ;)

I think most white people are racist. There's a small few that aren't, but the majority are. It's just the way it is.

I mean, this is probably why though.

-----------
Hmmm, lets see, my racism usually involves women. Like "I'd cross the border to get that", referring to a Canadian.

Speely

Banned
I dropped the N-bomb in the first rap verse I ever wrote, recorded, and performed live back in 2001. I am a white Floridian.

It seems so impossibly horrible to me now, having learned all I have since then, but there it is. It's recorded and so it is eternal.

It was also just a really bad verse aside from using a racist word as if it were "dude" or "bro." That's just as embarrassing.

Singing along to rap songs and saying the N word

I started censoring myself when singing along to rap lyrics when the N word came, but when I did it in front of my black friend he got mad and said "Why are you afraid to say the N word? Is it because I'm in the car and I'm black?"

I didn't know what to do so I stopped rapping along all together and put my face in my hands in shame. Sometimes there are no right answers

Some lady merged into my lane when I was on my motorcycle on the freeway. No signal, didn't slow down, and she didn't even do the over the shoulder look. She smacked the side of my exhaust with her car and nudged me a bit. I was super pissed and pulled off to check my bike and she pulled up right behind me. Took my helmet off and very audibly said "of course you're fucking Asian". Felt like a shitbag the moment it came out of my mouth and I said sorry right after. She was about my age (19/20) and said sorry and offered me some money which I declined. I don't think I've ever gone from full anger to embarrassment in such an instant, really weird feeling.

I commend you for posting this.

we best drivers in the world. did you not watch Tokyo drift? we love our Civic

GAMETA

Banned
I crossed the street and got cautious when seeing "suspicious" black dudes while wandering alone late a night sometimes.. but then again, they were dressing as hobos/drug addicts, so I'd cross the street even it they were white... they simply weren't.

I was recently at my parents' house and found an old geography project from 5th grade that I did. It was an illustrated comic about these two rad dudes that traveled to different parts of the globe experiencing different cultures. It was the...most...stereotypical depiction of different nationalities that you can imagine.

The people from Mexico were straight up dressed like Speedy Gonzalez, the dude from China looked like the shopkeeper from Gremlins, etc.

I'll try to see if I can grab it and make scans next time I'm down there.

I was a piece of shit so i probably said a bunch of racist shit i dont remember when i was a kid. But the one thing i remember most from like, atleast my teenage years (which weren't exactly that long ago, since i'm only 21) was this one time a couple years ago when i somehow found it fucking okay of me to ask this black girl i worked over the summer with if black people could get tans. She chuckled and said "yes" so it didnt seem to upset her. We're still "familiar" with each other and talk when we get the chance and it seems to be all good and stuff.

but jesus fucking christ man what the shit jesus ohgod

Machina

Banned
Asians are terrible drivers. I don't care if that sounds horribly racist, and it does I have to admit, but it is true. I was literally almost in an accident just the other day because of a really dumb move by an asian driver.

That is the only remotely racist thing I let myself get away with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom