• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What racist things have you done in your life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockmanBN

Was practicing my Spanish in the 5th grade because mine was pretty bad compared to my siblings. So I stared repeating colors in Spanish and then a girl was crying as if I said something horrible. Never realized that black in Spanish is very similar to a derogatory term. She ended up crying and I got suspended for 2 days. Didn't know that racism was a thing as a kid.

More of a stereotype than racism but,
A New watermelon flavored yogurt came out. And I tried my sales pitch on a black dude. I didn't think about it till after I tried selling it to him.
I have never understood this stereotype. Who doesn't like watermelon?

kswiston

I have never understood this stereotype. Who doesn't like watermelon?

Slave owners fed their field slaves watermelon because it was a cheap way to keep them hydrated.

EDIT: The owners used to point to their slaves being happy to sit, rest and enjoy some watermelon as proof of them being simple/stupid. Which of course makes no sense. When that's as good as your day gets, you are going to enjoy that portion of the day. Even after slavery was abolished, black people were stereotyped as watermelon fiends.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Use to work in a dine in theater and every 6 months, we would get a new Tyler Perry film. It would be predominately black viewership(95%). Guy comes up with his girl and ask, which theater, even before he finished I directed him to Tyler Perry. First thing he responds is, "How did you know." We laughed and moved on.

i grew up around Dominicans and they taught my racist jokes against Puerto Ricans and vice versa, my best friend in elementary school was Puerto Rican and he would teach me a lot of crap.

i still use them to this day =P but only to my friends.

I called my good friend "Nucka" because I heard it in a movie. I didn't know what it meant for the longest time, just thought it meant "brother" or "buddy". We always threw it around so casually and playfully.

We're two white guys, by the way.

Less "racist" and more due to ignorance. I guess it could be considered racially insensitive to use that word.

Spenny

I had a very poor black friend in middle school who was always bullied/picked on by two quite affluent black twins. They'd make fun his shoes and would even get physical with him sometimes. After school we would meet up to skate and he would complain about them and refer to them as "left in the oven too long motherfuckers," because of their very dark skin.

One day I saw them picking on my friend from across the quad. He had enough of it and swung on one of them and they both started kicking his ass. I ran over to help and during the scuffle I yelled out the phrase that my friend had always called them. Probably the most racist thing I've ever done.

iModem

Banned
I commonly referred to this guy as "my black friend" in college. It was mostly out of convenience (when telling a story) but it's still pretty bad habit.

One time I got robbed by a black guy after having given him a ride across town, listening to him tell me a tale about his supposed wife that had cancer. He took off with my wallet that had all my money for the next week and a half. I called him the n-word as he was running away. It was malicious and I felt like shit afterwards for having done so. I just sat in my car pissed off at what had happened and pissed off for letting my anger get the best of me.

I'm someone whose guilty of being a stereotypical driver. I work with a lot of Indian and Asian coworkers, and driving around the garage whenever somebody is doing something stupid I commit the infraction of assuming they're Indian or Asian, and I'll look for it. If they are Indian I'll think "Oh, typical," but if they're not I'll probably dismiss it and not think twice about it.

It's not right.

rpmurphy

Still have the bad habit of distrusting white cops more than cops of other races.

I really should distrust all cops equally.

deadlast

I know lots of stereotypes and laugh to myself when people fulfill them.
I laughed at racists jokes before.
Every time I see an obese blonde hair, blue eyed white person I say to myself "behold the master race."
I avoid teenagers and old people.
I lower my voice around black people.

I've done plenty of racist things, many due to ignorance. For example I had a friend growing up who was of Japanese descent. We all called him 'Jap' not knowing until I think 7th grade that it was derogatory. Stopped after that.

Verelios

I remember in Middle School I loved talking about RPGs, mostly JRPGs, during class. There were a group of Asian kids who mainly stood at the back, so I go over and start a conversation waiting for the next class. FF7 comes up (I brought it up) which traces back to the PS1. At this point a boy in the group asks with a kind of shy look, he never played a final Fantasy, what're they like? I explain in great detail, even adding on several other must play RPGs he might like. But, he doesn't have a PS1, nor has he really ever played role playing games. Now, I'm legit shook, in disbelief at what he just said, because I had always assumed they obviously played RPG's.

This isn't even the most distressing. They went on to start talking about Counter Strike as if it were the holy grail. I was more than shook, because I realized my assumptions that all Asians loved RPG'S was probably racist as hell, and that they enjoyed FPS's more was a wake up call.

Thankfully they never found out what I thought, so we became good friends over the years, and I got to rectify my prejudices.

dpunk3

Probably plenty, subconsciously. I fear black people, I was bullied a lot as a child for being, and I quote, "a skinny little white boy." I try and not judge someone when I meet them, but strangers at night I tend to get away from, especially if they're black. I'd like to think that's my fight or flight instinct from past experiences, but I feel like I'd be lying.

Jakten

Mispronounced Niger while reading an atlas in grade 1, I got in so much shit but had no idea why. I'll never forget that.

karasu

Nothing really. I didn't date a white chick because I was worried about how I would look to other black people. I really regret it because she was something special. Oh well.

I used to
sometimes still do
feel very uncomfortable in a room of only white people. Any other race and I don't really mind or care but with white people I kind of panic a little.

I'm working on it.

When I walk into a class the first day and see a room half-full of chinese students, I start to worry about the curve potentially screwing me over.

When I was really tiny, the first time I ever saw a black man I said, "Mommy! That man really needs a bath!"

She tells me she felt like dying but the man laughed. I'm thinking this should have been part of my education before taking me outside haha
And this was how I learned that people came in different colors.

When I would read the class attendance I would look at the kid who I thought would have the next name. If it sounded Spanish I would look at a Spanish kid, same for every name race combo.

Mahonay

Banned
I tend to have a general bais against rich/upper-class white people.

I am white myself but grew up lower middle-class in the city. My only sibling, my sister, is half black, and I've always had a lot of close friends of many different races.

I've heard so much fucked up racist shit from upper-class white people I've met and known over the years, who feel comfortable saying it around me since I'm white too. So over time I've built up a lot resentment and I definitely tend to judge a lot harsher towards that group.

redlegs87

The most racist thing I've done is probably yelling racial epitaphs at people over call of duty years ago. I mainly yelled what I considered to be the most hateful thing I could think of and it usually landed on racial stuff. I stopped playing those type of games shortly after realizing how awful I was being over something so silly. I no longer let anger get me to the point where I feel like saying such horrible things. I greatly regret saying the things I did back then.

Besides that pulling at the corner of my eyes to look Asian as a kid comes in second.

I was unintentionally racist my whole life till like 1 year ago lol

It's because I was never told otherwise.

But I use to think Asian people where politically classified as yellow.

I just always remembering being hearing asians referred to as yellow my whole life that I never thought into it.

Till 1 day last year I was at my local FG scene, I don't know how I brought it up but I remember referring to an Asian dude as Yellow

Till 2 of my friends turned around and said "wow, racist much?" I was like WTF "Yellow is not racist" and they where like "yeah it definitely is"

I was almost going to make a thread on GAF at the time asking you guys but thank god I didn't.

The moment of realisation was when my friend said "do Asian people look Yellow" I said "No, we don't look fully white and Black people don't look fully Black"

Then he said so "So you think there is yellow people like the Simpsons"

Then I was like "ohhhhhhh shit, I've being racist my whole life"

Then I actually used logic and realised who igranant to group all Asian people to a single Colour when it's not the case, plus no Asian person looks yellow.

Ignorance on my part for sure

Hopefully this story did not offend anyone and rather entertained how much of an educated fool I am instead.

Feel free to roast my stupidity lol

I wonder what the fuck else I'm politically wrong about and just not aware.

molnizzle

When I was really tiny, the first time I ever saw a black man I said, "Mommy! That man really needs a bath!"

She tells me she felt like dying but the man laughed. I'm thinking this should have been part of my education before taking me outside haha

Apparently I said "look daddy, a chocolate man!" when I noticed my first black person in a checkout line. Dad said he almost shit himself but luckily the guy had a sense of humor about it. I mean I was 3!

Kevtones

I was recently in Tokyo and was the only white person in 100 person subway car. I then made the observation that I had the biggest dick on the train.

Apparently I said "look daddy, a chocolate man!" when I noticed my first black person in a checkout line. Dad said he almost shit himself but luckily the guy had a sense of humor about it. I mean I was 3!

Thats hilarious. My story also took place in the check out line.

When I was 9 my brother and I sat in a seat with two black kids and I said "cool, a perfect combination of two whites and two blacks."

I had no idea racism was a thing, and I got the talk from my dad about it.

My best friend in middle school was a casual racist, mostly thanks to his dad. Said best friend would always relate to me about how the lazy riggens (yes thats what he actually said) were doing this and that while of course his dad was doing all the work. I went along with it and thank god never actually said it to anyone aside from him because it was akin to an inside joke.

I'm so glad that other circumstances forced me to cut ties with him and his entire circle of friends.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
There are times where I will be absolutely fuming at white people after watching a documentary on like rosewoood or something

I tend to have a general bais against rich/upper-class white people.

I am white myself but grew up lower middle-class in the city. My only sibling, my sister, is half black, I've always had a lot of close friends of many different races.

I've heard so much fucked up racist shit from upper-class white people I've met and known over the years, who feel comfortable saying it around me since I'm white too. So over time I've built up a lot resentment and I definitely tend to judge a lot harsher towards that group.

That's a common sentiment I think. I feel similar in most cases.

I remember in high school when we would play the private Catholic school I would think "Yeah time to show em whats what." They would stomp us, most of them were sent to Europe in the summer to camps to play soccer.
The better players on my team spent their summer at a fruit packaging site loading boxes from 11:00 pm- 4:00 am under the table

My best friend and teammate went with me when they had the SATs at their campus. He was the only Mexican there and had doubts about being able to go to college.
He panicked about the time limits he figured he wouldn't make it anyways so just guessed on most and left early.

I remember being unnerved hearing the other kids in my testing room talk about what top University they wanted to go to and their PreSAT scores to the supervisors they knew from the school.
I get a knot thinking about how he must have felt in his testing class.

I still hate that fucking school.

Violet_0

Banned
*shrugs*

We don't exactly have the best track record throughout history. Although I recognize it's something I should try to not have lessen my perception of individual people in my life.

that's true for pretty much all of humanity, but we sometimes conveniently seem to forget it

Dragmire

I think race is extremely complex and people shouldn't feel so much fragility when they get things wrong, as long as their goal is equality. There are so many races and mixes of race, cultures and mixes of cultures, that it is impossible to know everything about everyone's potential background with 100% sensitivity. But I still think it's our duty to seek to learn as much as we can to be as sensitive and cultured as we can since we live in a racially and culturally diverse world.

I am multiracial, but like so many people are taught to do, I used to uphold white beauty above all other beauty. In the dating scene, I clearly see a hierarchy: less attractive white guys get more positive attention than more attractive guys who are Asian, African American, Latino, Indian, multiracial, etc. That's not something I can prove quantifiably, but I believe it to be true.

White guys are far less responsive to me than non-white and multiracial people on dating apps. They have even asked me things like "what language do you speak?". But almost no one can ever identify where they think I'm from, or correctly guess my racial background. I am pegged as a Mexican a lot, but there is no Mexican or Latino background in my family tree (going back for the last several generations). Note: I was born in the US and have never been out of the country besides Canada, and I have no accent. I tend not to disclose my racial background up front because that invites people to start labeling me.

But in real life, white guys tend to like me a lot more. I think, once they hear me speaking English, some of their uncertainties they have about other cultures diminishes. White guys tend to date within their perceived culture, which used to confuse me because I am grew up in nearly the same culture (referring to privileged, middle class American culture). But even if white guys like me in person, they often say things that are very isolating, like that I am "exotic", that I am attractive 'for my race' (or one of my races). And people in and out of the dating scene very often ask me "what are you?". If I tell them I am multiracial, they will say things like, "Oh so you're a mutt?" There is a disturbing amount of comparisons to dogs.

Now, some of this is race, some of it is culture. It's not simple to break down. But I see a lot of white guys that date exclusively within what they believe is their own culture, and they base that on skin color and facial features. I grew up in much of the same culture, I just have a different skin color and facial features.

But I am guilty of this too. I used to date white guys with the same kind of thinking. I used to think blond hair and blue eyes were some sort of high point in beauty. I now realize there was some perceived status related to dating a white guy. Of course, that 'status' was completely made up and purely based on skin color and privilege. I didn't understand the dynamics that were occurring. I think it took years of being marginalized by white people based purely on their perceptions for me to open my eyes. For such a long time, you think that's just how it is. You think you are supposed to be marginalized, and they are supposed to marginalize you while receiving more than you do. Eventually you realize they don't deserve special treatment and never earned it.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
V3JyD0s.jpg

Greddleok

I've never done anything racist. Had a lot of racist thoughts though. I feel like as long as I'm cognisant of the problem with that sort of thing, and never act on it, I don't think it's a huge deal.

This may sound really bad, but in college I really wanted an almost all African American cast for the main roles of a short film because I expected it would make for prettier cinematography if they had dark skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom