• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think of pay-per-join forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 10 dollars i spend for Something Awful have probably been some of the best dollars (well euro's) i've ever spend. It's true that it keeps the biggest idiots out, but you still have a lot of stupid/intelligent people who have mastered the art of trolling to such a ridiculous degree that you can't help but laugh at it. The "pressure release" forums, as someone aptly called them, like Your Console Sucks or Laissez-Faire, are both completely stupid and immature and really funny, and sometimes even home to some great discussions.

Also, one of the most amazing things are the moderator challenges, where someone who started a really stupid thread has to complete some ridiculous challenge or get banned. An example, from a topic in which some poor guy asked for help turning the Pyramus and Thisbe play from A Midsummer Night's Dream into Twilight. As the mods really do not like it when the forum is expected to do someone's homework, a challenge was posted:

1. Get in character: You or another member of your theatre troup must attend a hairdressing salon or barbershop of your choice and request a Robert Pattinson, providing your chosen hair stylist with appropriate reference material. We will require before and after (and preferably during) proof of the transformation.

2. Method Acting: You or another member of your theatre troup must spend the best part of your day with your shirt off in an effort to get inside the mind of renowned thespian Robert Patterson. You must supply photographic evidence of the different venues and situations you or your subject has practiced his or her craft. If the latter it might be a good idea to link and tag them as NWS.

3. Legal Issues: As has been demonstrated by a recent thread of a similar theme plays of this nature can run into legal issues. To futureproof your production from such a fate you must register an account on several Twilight fan boards informing them that your plans to improve child literacy by writing and performing a series of Shakespeare/Twilight plays in schools. However, Stephanie Meyer is not on board and you wish to convince her otherwise through the raw untamed power of the internet petetion. You must setup a petition on this or a similar site asking her to change her mind and convince at least fifty Twilight fans to sign it.

Bonus points if you can get any Twilight fan page, board or group to link directly to the petition on their actual pages in "news" or something.

You have until the weekend or everyone gets bored. Whatever comes first.

Audience Participation: An extra 12 hours probation on top of the ban for anyone else who wants to audition for this production.

Narag

Never had a problem paying $10 for SA myself and enjoyed my time there immensely. I should probaby give it a go again as some of their smaller subforums had some amazing posters.

FatalT

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
:lol :lol :lol crazy!

sometimes i think "wow GAF has really strict moderation" and you mean to say it's even stricter there AND costs $10?

It doesn't get much stricter than GAF, where the rules can change in the flick of an eye. Just say something negative about the forum and you're gone. This has been proven in this very thread even! Think again when you say Something Awful's moderation is "more strict" than GAF's. You don't see Lowtax banning people for talking about SA's search function having problems here and there or the site loading slowly occasionally.

For example:

diddlyD said:
i'd never pay for forum access.
i wish they'd just hire someone who knew what they were doing to configure the neogaf server. i visit forums that get way more traffic then this one that don't shit themselves every time 50-100 people try to access it simultaneously, and they even support search.
EviLore said:
Time to head to those forums, then.
diddlyD
Banned
(Today, 01:55 PM)

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I would pay $10 one time. Without thinking.

FatalT said:
It doesn't get much stricter than GAF, where the rules can change in the flick of an eye. Just say something negative about the forum and you're gone. This has been proven in this very thread even! Think again when you say Something Awful's moderation is "more strict" than GAF's. You don't see Lowtax banning people for talking about SA's search function having problems here and there or the site loading slowly occasionally.

This isn't a democracy tsk tsk

Rorschach

I guess I can't complain about search being gone if it being here means the forums can't function properly, BUT why doesn't Google search work with the Online Forum?

FatalT

Banned
Relix said:
I would pay $10 one time. Without thinking.

This isn't a democracy tsk tsk

I'm glad you feel that way about an internet forum that relies on the opinions and discussions of its users to stay alive.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
FatalT said:
It doesn't get much stricter than GAF, where the rules can change in the flick of an eye.
i love that about GAF. Every single post makes it feel like you are playing Dragons Lair or a Sierra Adventure game. GAF Quest IV!

Javaman

GhostRidah said:
I would pay for gaf just to get rid of the 500 error, where do I sing up? :D

I got a 500 error the first time I visited GAF with Firefox and now it's stuck in the name of the autocomplete. :lol

FatalT

Banned
koam said:
Internet should be free

I agree. I hate having to pay for Netflix to stream movies. I hate having to pay for digital music downloads. I hate having to pay for games on Steam. We should just get all that for free, bandwidth be damned!

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
I think they're a good way to get me to stop wasting time on the internet.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
FatalT said:
I'm glad you feel that way about an internet forum that relies on the opinions and discussions of its users to stay alive.

I've never had a problem discussing things or even arguing with mods. As long as you are respectful and not be an idiot you are perfect in GAF. Hell the only times I've been banned was because I called Frodo "gay" and that was like 2 years ago. They don't permaban, they just ban so you learn a lesson. It's what keeps the forum cohesive. PoliGAF is also a great example of how things are discussed in GAF.

Now, if you called a mod incompetent for no reason or not understand why it breaks (using the guy that was banned earlier for Evilore) then I say you deserve that ban. It was uncalled for.

Zachack

Stumpokapow said:
While it's true than D&D is a consistently high quality forum, the existence of LF as a "pressure release" for D&D threads has done much more to keep the quality of posts up than the entrance fee has.

Flash-back to, say, 2002-2003 and D&D was of a very high quality like you describe but there were much more troll posts and idiots.
I agree that LF has solved problems but the history of D&D in relation to trolling has more than a few chapters. And the overall concept of enforced rigor extends beyond D&D; most of the Arts forums are equally controlled to some extent and the benefits should be obvious. But the underlying financial punishment can't be discounted, since it's what provides teeth to bans, probations, and the incentive to take idiocy into the forums meant for that.

Also while the grandfathering thing worked for SA, SA had relatively few accounts grandfathered in. I've had an account there for, uh, I guess ten years this month, and the forums there have been much larger since 2004-2005 than they were when the fee was brought in.
Agree again, I'm just using it as an example of how GAF could transition and maintain the current user base.

Hitokage said:
Bad news, guys. Even if a limited number of people use vb's search, the mere fact that it's enabled and indexing posts causes resource drain.

That's a shame. But if enough people paid for a premium account then maybe GAF can buy more bandwidth for search? It's much better than google search just for the ability to search for all threads with a certain word in the title. Google will often give you 10 results of the same thread. Oh well.

itxaka

Defeatist
Gaf should do a fundrising.

10 dollars get you a donator tag

20 dollars, you can change the avatar of one user for 2 weeks

30 dollars, you can choose the tag of one user for 2 weeks

50 dollar, you can ban one guy for 2 weeks

The amount x2 if you want ti to be 1 month.

:D

The Faceless Master said:
:lol :lol :lol crazy!

sometimes i think "wow GAF has really strict moderation" and you mean to say it's even stricter there AND costs $10?
Another thing I forgot to mention was the mod challenges over at SA. Oh man, are those fun. :lol

If someone posts a stupid thread, a mod can create one or multiple challenges (which are usually related to the thread topic) for the OP to do and if the OP doesn't comply he/she could face a hefty ban. :D

I remember one challenge involving some poor guy having to jerk off into a chemistry flask while wearing high heels. :lol :lol :lol

edit: beaten by HarryHengst. :p

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I'd say SA is worth $10 just for the Marketplace alone. Great deals there, especially since most users have an understood agreement to give very fair prices to fellow SA members. Then of course, you have all the sub-forums, some of which are among the best on the internet.

OMG Aero

I've thought about paying for an SA account a few times now since I get a lot of enjoyment out of just lurking the forums (Particularly the Let's Play one) but I've heard of people getting banned from there just because they were in a bad mood which is something I wouldn't want if I was paying for an account.
I'm also not a fan of the fact that someone can pay to change your avatar.

Zachack

OMG Aero said:
I've thought about paying for an SA account a few times now since I get a lot of enjoyment out of just lurking the forums (Particularly the Let's Play one) but I've heard of people getting banned from there just because they were in a bad mood which is something I wouldn't want if I was paying for an account.
I'm also not a fan of the fact that someone can pay to change your avatar.
I've had an account for over a decade. I've had my avatar changed on me twice; once by some dimwit who couldn't even do it right, and then by some other mystery person (possibly a mod) who changed it to what they thought my job was (aka friendly change). Never been banned. It's easy to not get banned, just don't post the first thing that comes to your mind.

koam

FatalT said:
I agree. I hate having to pay for Netflix to stream movies. I hate having to pay for digital music downloads. I hate having to pay for games on Steam. We should just get all that for free, bandwidth be damned!

That's not the internet, those are products sold via the internet. That actual internet, i.e webpages, should be free. Ads are welcomed.

FatalT

Banned
koam said:
That's not the internet, those are products sold via the internet. That actual internet, i.e webpages, should be free. Ads are welcomed.

A discussion board is not a webpage though, now is it?

A discussion board, a wikipedia-type site, a search engine...etc. These could all be "products" and services able to be sold on the internet. Hopefully this will never be the case but you never know what the future holds for us.

itxaka

Defeatist
FatalT said:
A discussion board is not a webpage though, now is it?

A discussion board, a wikipedia-type site, a search engine...etc. These could all be "products" and services able to be sold on the internet. Hopefully this will never be the case but you never know what the future holds for us.

There is some forums that actually sell "experts" advice in a forum way. You post a question, pay the quota and the "experts" gives you answers and such. You choose the correct answer and they get paid for it.

So in a way, there is already that. For something free, there will always be a pay version of it.

Druz

I supported $10 lifetime donating earlier in this thread but I forgot to mention one thing...

searching would have to make a return. Or at least, "Find Users Posts" My reply rate is down to like 10% because I can't find where I made posts. Sorting through 50 pages just to see if someone answered my question/comment is insane and don't tell me to use google search because it's bullshit.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Druz said:
I supported $10 lifetime donating earlier in this thread but I forgot to mention one thing...

searching would have to make a return. Or at least, "Find Users Posts" My reply rate is down to like 10% because I can't find where I made posts. Sorting through 50 pages just to see if someone answered my question/comment is insane and don't tell me to use google search because it's bullshit.

In your options you can set it to automatically Subscribe to topics that you reply in. Set the responses to 'none' otherwise you will get an email for every response.

Then when you come back to gaf later you can click Subscriptions at the top and just read the threads that have responses since your last post.

It sucks not being able to access a user's post history, but between subs and google I can accomplish pretty much everything else that I used to do with search.

edit: of course this won't retroactively make your old threads/posts available. It will only work once you turn it on going forward.

Bluth

diddlyD said:
i'd never pay for forum access.

i wish they'd just hire someone who knew what they were doing to configure the neogaf server. i visit forums that get way more traffic then this one that don't shit themselves every time 50-100 people try to access it simultaneously, and they even support search.

How the hell did this deserve a ban? Fuck that.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
DJ_Tet said:
In your options you can set it to automatically Subscribe to topics that you reply in. Set the responses to 'none' otherwise you will get an email for every response.

Then when you come back to gaf later you can click Subscriptions at the top and just read the threads that have responses since your last post.

It sucks not being able to access a user's post history, but between subs and google I can accomplish pretty much everything else that I used to do with search.

edit: of course this won't retroactively make your old threads/posts available. It will only work once you turn it on going forward.
I can't believe people get by without this. 90% of my gaffing is done through User CP. Been that way for like five years now.

Extremely stupid idea. People would just move onto another site. You can't tell me the popular pay to post sites don't have profits that the owners aren't pocketing.

Al-ibn Kermit

EviLore said:
Time to head to those forums, then.
Don't you own/run the site? How do you feel about requiring a one-time payment?

If people are directly paying for hosting it, then they would all expect to have a search function, fairly reliable performance during E3, and some might expect less ads.

The benefit to all of us is that this may euthanize the shitty posters.

Ive been here for 5 years, and I would certainly donate to improve the servers (and bring back search your post history).

The humble games bundle showed that not everyone is a cheapass. I think GAF could get an average of 7$ per person.

If wikipedia can do annual fundraisers, why not GAF?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
VGChampion said:
You can't tell me the popular pay to post sites don't have profits that the owners aren't pocketing.

Since when are subscription-based websites by definition not for profit?

Don't you own/run the site? How do you feel about requiring a one-time payment?

*shrug*

I only let new people into GAF like one batch every six months as it is. A lot of frustrated people waiting on the outside would probably welcome it. If it ever happened it'd be to address the overflow of new members, not particularly as a revenue generator.

Gaborn

I love gaf, I intend to be here for a LONG time, but if it went "pay to post" as it were? I dunno, I'd have to think about it. That was a HUGE part of why I lost interest in IGN, when their forums went premium originally. I think Evilore has done an amazing job keeping gaf free and I'll click on the ads frequently to support gaf because I love it, it's become my primary online home. Ultimately I see no need for GAF to go to a pay system, but if one day Evilore decided it was no longer economical to be totally wonderfully free I could see paying a bit for it.

EviLore said:

*shrug*

I only let new people into GAF like one batch every six months as it is. A lot of frustrated people waiting on the outside would probably welcome it. If it ever happened it'd be to address the overflow of new members, not particularly as a revenue generator.

I'll give you $100 a year, no questions asked.

edit: in all seriousness, I think an annual fund-raiser style drive wouldn't be such a bad idea.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
I'll give you $100 a year, no questions asked.

edit: in all seriousness, I think an annual fund-raiser style drive wouldn't be such a bad idea.
A fund raiser for WHAT? You act as if GAF doesn't have ads and make significant money from the revenue. Do you think Evilore is homeless or something? What the hell is wrong with you?

BamYouHaveAids said:
A fund raiser for WHAT? You act as if GAF doesn't have ads and make significant money from the revenue. Do you think Evilore is homeless or something? What the hell is wrong with you?

I want search function and be able to find my previous posts. and yes, I know how well off evilore is you numb nuts, I don't think the off-topic forum should be shut off for E3.

Gaborn

evil solrac v3.0 said:
I want search function and be able to find my previous posts. and yes, I know how well off evilore is you numb nuts, I don't think the off-topic forum should be shut off for E3.

Yeah, in all honesty this is the one thing I miss. I used to love going through all my threads every so often, lot of laughs there. But it's not my site and not my call and I do like the whole "less lag" thing.

EviLore said:

*shrug*

What about letting us (members) donate? I also miss the search function

DJ_Tet

Banned
evil solrac v3.0 said:

Who here remembers gaf without an OT?

*raises hand*

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
A donation drive wouldn't be appropriate. I have no interest in taking advantage of your loyalty, nor do I have any desire to be held accountable with any measure of transparency for what's received from each person donating. No donations. Send it to UNICEF.org instead and save some lives.

As for identifying other revenue streams to help bring back search, yeah, I guess it's a possibility if people are receptive. I've always been wary of GAF being anything but strictly free, but as the site grows circumstances change, and I might be willing to implement some way for members to support the site in exchange for extra features, e.g. bringing vb search back for NeoGAF Platinum members and paying for the required infrastructure that way. We'll see.

Javaman said:
I got a 500 error the first time I visited GAF with Firefox and now it's stuck in the name of the autocomplete. :lol
Just delete the autocomplete entry and then manually retype the url, it'll show up normally then (that's of course if you even want to get rid of the 500 error, in some ways it's GAFs own tag)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom