• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think of pay-per-join forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
evil solrac v3.0 said:
I want search function and be able to find my previous posts. and yes, I know how well off evilore is you numb nuts, I don't think the off-topic forum should be shut off for E3.
If you say he is well off yet the problem still exist then how do you think throwing more money will fix it? SA which has no ads yet still has a functioning search and servers despite much more traffic, and it isn't as if most members or lurkers don't bring in much more than $10 during their tenure on this site.

You seem awfully angry there, settle down grumpy clown.

WowBaby

I just use the neogaf/amazon link. I buy practically everything from amazon, even groceries now and then. I don't know what the percentage is that they get, but I hope it helps.

shuri

Banned
The forums errors were WAYYY over the top for this E3. I'll admit that after a while, I just gave up and went to twitter (of all places) to get live coverage of the conferences.

Jasconius

DemiMatt said:
One thing you have to appreciate about gaf is their lag of signatures. Too many times do I stop going to forums because its like frigging the old days of myspace in peopels huge ass sigs and banners.

<3 gaf for that.

This is the thing I hate most when I (gasp) read other forums. It really does seem like everyone should have accepted that signatures are really stupid by now. ^^

Slavik81

Jangaroo said:
These things are the reason WHY I like GAF. It doesn't have any of those shitty, gaudy, tearing inducing sigs that you find on other forums. GAF has a very simple and effective aesthetic. I'd hate to see it change.
In general I agree, but goddamn I want the ability to the click on a quoted post and be taken to its source... Sometimes we're a little too simple.

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
EviLore said:
A donation drive wouldn't be appropriate. I have no interest in taking advantage of your loyalty, nor do I have any desire to be held accountable with any measure of transparency for what's received from each person donating. No donations. Send it to UNICEF.org instead and save some lives.

As for identifying other revenue streams to help bring back search, yeah, I guess it's a possibility if people are receptive. I've always been wary of GAF being anything but strictly free, but as the site grows circumstances change, and I might be willing to implement some way for members to support the site in exchange for extra features, e.g. bringing vb search back for NeoGAF Platinum members and paying for the required infrastructure that way. We'll see.

the $10 dollar fee suites SomethingAwful due to the way the forum works.

Honestly, the only thing I would change about NeoGaf is:

Give people who are banned the opportunity to explain themselves, sometimes people get banned over misunderstandings, a simple PM warning or discussion would probably suffice.

NeoGaf as it is at the moment works, and has worked for a long time, and as long as people click on the ads that they find relevant, NeoGaf should survive into the future.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
EviLore said:
A donation drive wouldn't be appropriate. I have no interest in taking advantage of your loyalty, nor do I have any desire to be held accountable with any measure of transparency for what's received from each person donating. No donations. Send it to UNICEF.org instead and save some lives.

As for identifying other revenue streams to help bring back search, yeah, I guess it's a possibility if people are receptive. I've always been wary of GAF being anything but strictly free, but as the site grows circumstances change, and I might be willing to implement some way for members to support the site in exchange for extra features, e.g. bringing vb search back for NeoGAF Platinum members and paying for the required infrastructure that way. We'll see.
You could probably sell search features and a tag for a few dollars and pocket thousands of dollars.

Or you could only do what you described as Platinum. You could probably gauge the interest, adjust the pricing to cover an immediate hardware upgrade with the burst purchases, then you'd probably get money rolling in slowly to cover basic maintenance or save up for hardware expansion.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
dogmaan said:
Honestly, the only thing I would change about NeoGaf is:
Give people who are banned the opportunity to explain themselves, sometimes people get banned over misunderstandings, a simple PM warning or discussion would probably suffice.

(I don't speak for EL or any other mod)

SA gasses threads (which comes or used to come with a temporary probation) and uses probation to institute temporary punishments and bans to institute longer more serious punishments. Someone threadshitting might get a week long or two week probation. Bans are for more serious offences since they cost $10 to undo.

On GAF, there is no probation system, so the first level of sanction is a temporary ban. For the vast majority of nuisance offences (first time trolling, for example), bans are relatively short. People who get banned for long periods of time or permanently are banned for either committing one major serious offence or a long history of minor ones.

I'd also note that in the rare case that someone here is banned over a misunderstanding, they have the ability to contact moderators about it. People often do. When someone is banned, they see the reason for the ban, so they can fairly easily ascertain whether the ban is a clear misunderstanding or if it's a difference of opinion.

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
DeathNote said:
You could probably sell search features and a tag for a few dollars and pocket thousands of dollars.

Or you could only do what you described as Platinum. You could probably gauge the interest, adjust the pricing to cover an immediate hardware upgrade with the burst purchases, then you'd probably get money rolling in slowly to cover basic maintenance or save up for hardware expansion.

As far as I can see NeoGaf as it is at the moment, works, and has worked for a long time.

Communities sometimes have a delicate balance, and anything that could potentially fragment the community and upset the status quo, I would not be in favour of....

....but then NeoGaf never was a democracy was it? :D

C.Dark.DN

Banned
dogmaan said:
As far as I can see NeoGaf as it is at the moment, works, and has worked for a long time.

Communities sometimes have a delicate balance, and anything that could potentially fragment the community and upset the status quo, I would not be in favour of....

....but then NeoGaf never was a democracy was it? :D
The first scenario would change GAF. Everyone with a tag? Lame. The second, optional purchase, can only improve GAF 100%. 500 errors are a big issue on current hardware and traffic. Even with search and the unread post feature disabled.

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
DeathNote said:
The first scenario would change GAF. Everyone with a tag? Lame. The second, optional purchase, can only improve GAF 100%. 500 errors are a big issue on current hardware and traffic. Even with search and the unread post feature disabled.

Honestly, I don't find the 500 errors that bad, NeoGaf works 99.9% of the time, the only times I have had problems are during E3 conferences and NPD threads, the downtime is so infrequent it really doesn't bother me.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
dogmaan said:
Honestly, I don't find the 500 errors that bad, NeoGaf works 99.9% of the time, the only times I have had problems are during E3 conferences and NPD threads, the downtime is so infrequent it really doesn't bother me.
Your argument, IMO, would be sound if you were trying to get the search feature back right this second on current hardware. 500 errors a few times every 30 minutes was nothing major.

But, during e3, it's crazy. I spent 30 minutes trying to make a post during the Nintendo keynote. A huge day of the year for everyone, and the shared enjoyment is gimped. A small percentage of people paying to get extra features only benefits everyone. No downside.

Druz

Stumpokapow said:

SA gasses threads (which comes or used to come with a temporary probation) and uses probation to institute temporary punishments and bans to institute longer more serious punishments. Someone threadshitting might get a week long or two week probation. Bans are for more serious offences since they cost $10 to undo.

On GAF, there is no probation system, so the first level of sanction is a temporary ban. For the vast majority of nuisance offences (first time trolling, for example), bans are relatively short. People who get banned for long periods of time or permanently are banned for either committing one major serious offence or a long history of minor ones.

I'd also note that in the rare case that someone here is banned over a misunderstanding, they have the ability to contact moderators about it. People often do. When someone is banned, they see the reason for the ban, so they can fairly easily ascertain whether the ban is a clear misunderstanding or if it's a difference of opinion.

I guess something like "fuck you" gets filed under difference of opinion

flsh

Banned
EviLore said:

I have a suggestion. A lot of people use 100 posts per page, which has 1 ad on top and 1 ad at the bottom. 100 posts per page is 2 ads less for the same number of posts that people who use 50 posts per page see. Would it help you guys to put more ads between some posts (like 25-26, 50-51, 75-76 etc') so that I and people like me, who use 100 posts per page, wont lose you ad revenue?
If you are unwilling to take donations and\or subscription fees, more ads is all I can think of to help.

Jenga

Banned
ZombieSupaStar said:
Something Awful has a much better PC, Wrestling, and MMO community than gaf, glad I spent 10 on it, PC gaf is pretty barren.
it's true

i see goons on some of the obscure pc mmo shit sometimes too

Lothars

I don't have an issue with pay forums especially if it's a one time only fee

I did for view askew forums and I have thought often about doing it for Something Awful.

I do like these forums though but each have there quirks about them.

I'd pay for vB search back and I would've paid for my account instantly approved when I waited 8 months to post. :p

edit: i agree with salsa vvvv in saying sigs are outdated. I turn them off on every forum that I can.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Dreams-Visions said:
damn. you the admin?

also, I kinda like the 500's. kind of a reminder of how amped up everyone is at any given time.
Evilore owns the website. Where have you been?

Salsa

I really love GAF the way it is. The amount of active users, the "barebones" with no glowy eye tearing unnecesary sigs/shit, the balance between serious/funny. I hope it doesnt change anytime soon.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I don't even notice the ads anymore, why would you want to pay? /boggle

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
SalsaShark said:
I really love GAF the way it is. The amount of active users, the "barebones" with no glowy eye tearing unnecesary sigs/shit, the balance between serious/funny. I hope it doesnt change anytime soon.

I agree with this statement.

EviLore said:

That would be awesome I would definitely pay for that. But it has to be called Gaf Gold ;)

blame space said:
i would pay generously in order to be able to use homophobic and racial slurs at my comedic discretion

1jkw3t.png

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Zophar said:
Buying an account at SA is the best 10 bucks I ever spent. I've never known a forum so rational and airtight in it's moderation.

Couldn't have said it better myself. SA is a joy to peruse and post at.

Yeef

Mechanical Snowman said:
You can pay to have someone else's avatar changed on the SA forums? :lol That would make for some hilarious jokes, if people could afford it.
I don't visit SA forums very often (I've been there maybe 5 times), but from what I saw it can be VERY AMUSING.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'd have no problems with a one-off fee for any particular feature, or for the right to post here. That seems reasonable to me.

Once things go down the subscription path, particularly a monthly sort of thing, that's when I start getting a bit wary.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Rez said:
I'd have no problems with a one-off fee for any particular feature, or for the right to post here. That seems reasonable to me.

Once things go down the subscription path, particularly a monthly sort of thing, that's when I start getting a bit weary.

Weary or wary?

jorma

is now taking requests
Stumpokapow said:

So there is a record for each user available to the mods of the number of bans and the reason for them?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Much like the rise from junior member to regular member, I wouldn't mind some kind of moderation policy where upon posting here for a number of years or reaching a very high numbers of posts, you get some sort of opportunity to explain yourself should you get banned for a serious amount of time.

I mean, clear bigotry or something like that is pretty cut and dry, but cracking a joke about some console, forgetting to read POST NUMBER 456 WITH NEW BAN CONDITIONS or getting mopped up in a mass-thread exodus are the sort of bans that kind of feel unfair to me, especially after years of loyalty, and eeeee-specially when the ban reasons aren't clear.

thetrin said:
Weary or wary?
tev

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Would it be possible to set up a NeoGAF Amazon affiliates account so that every amazon product that gets linked on this forum is automatically tagged with a GAF referral code and nets GAF some money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom