• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare PC performance thread

Here are some screenshots (1440p/Ultra)

tZliv3i.jpg

MikeSan

Well, great start with the game... One crash after the intro and one for low memory...

I have quite a good PC : i5 6600k / 16 Gb DDR4 / EVGA GTX 1080 FTW...

Am I the only one to have this issue ?

5olid_5nake

Look at all these 1080's and Titans... Man, thought I was high end with my 1060 :D.

Joking aside, has anybody tested the game with 1060? Is it capable to run everything ultra with 1080p res?

Vitor711

Sorry for crappy Steam screenshot quality but yeah, game looks REAL nice (1440p Ultra - 1080, i5-4690k, W10, SSD, 16GB RAM at 60-120FPS).

Campaign gets creative in spots but it's no TitanFall 2. Then again, it shows that IW are unmatched in spectacle, even if not inventiveness. The set-pieces are real solid and the game flows a lot better than Titanfall (few obvious loading screens, game does a good job of using videos to transition and keep the pace up). It's also basically Mass Effect 2 after the into missions? Loving the downtime on the ship, walking around and talking.

Characters and story are vastly more engaging than Respawn's title. And, I might be #TeamEthan over #TeamBT... Don't get me wrong, I definitely prefer TitanFall but this is absolutely a return to form for IW and on par with Advanced Warfare for the campaign. I have zero interest in the multiplayer though and will stick with Titanfall for that.

126EEE65C0FD19D9A9D2F2718BC03767DC9983F2

7EC5607FD7B8F5A307FC4FF2815BF8A9A579D3D1

46328458A524398F2D43945B58EEE692ABE419A1

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sorry for crappy Steam screenshot quality but yeah, game looks REAL nice (1440p Ultra - 1080, i5-4690k, W10, SSD, 16GB RAM at 60-120FPS).

You can set Steam to save lossless (.PNG) copies in addition to the default screenshots intended for Steam Cloud. Steam -> Settings -> In-game -> Select your desired screenshot folder and tick "Save an uncompressed copy".

Vitor711

You can set Steam to save lossless (.PNG) copies in addition to the default screenshots intended for Steam Cloud. Steam -> Settings -> In-game -> Select your desired screenshot folder and tick "Save an uncompressed copy".

themoreyouknow.gif

Alexious

Reviews on Steam so far are pretty negative, mentioning several performance issues as well as mouse acceleration etc.

Are they exaggerating?

samar11

Got the game set to ultra@1440p and so far at the start its doing 125fps but not going past it at all. Is it capped at that rate?

Edit: not complaining just curious lol

abracadaver

Just had a crash after the first 30 minutes. Some heavy DirectX error...

The performance is fine, I'm getting 70-100fps all the time but I'm seeing a lot of low res textures. Before I started the game I set everything to the highest possible setting. When I started the game I immediatly noticed the blurry textures everywhere. I had to change textures to medium, restart the game, change to high and restart again to get good textures. But I still see some blurry textures.

Now I don't know if other effects are affected by this problem as well. The game definitely does not look as good as I expected. Maybe I'm getting low settings for other graphics options as well? Also the crash after not even playing for an hour really annoyed me.

Here is a (Steam) screen I took:

Look how blurry the guy is even though I have high textures enabled.

i7 6700K (stock)
Fury X (16.11.1 drivers)
16GB DDR4
installed on a HDD

Just had a crash after the first 30 minutes. Some heavy DirectX error...

The performance is fine, I'm getting 70-100fps all the time but I'm seeing a lot of low res textures. Before I started the game I set everything to the highest possible setting. When I started the game I immediatly noticed the blurry textures everywhere. I had to change textures to medium, restart the game, change to high and restart again to get good textures. But I still see some blurry textures.

Now I don't know if other effects are affected by this problem as well. The game definitely does not look as good as I expected. Maybe I'm getting low settings for other graphics options as well? Also the crash after not even playing for an hour really annoyed me.

Here is a (Steam) screen I took:

Look how blurry the guy is even though I have high textures enabled.

i7 6700K (stock)
Fury X (16.11.1 drivers)
16GB DDR4
installed on a HDD

I believe AW had the same issue, which was resolved by disabling shadow caching. Maybe that'll solve it?

E: here's a comparison from AW's PCGW page:

Call_of_duty_advanced_warfare_low_res_fix_comparison.png

Shadow caching does have a heavy effect on render target memory (as noted in the text description) but it should not be enabled by default on a 4GB card. If you have further diagnostic data on your crash feel free to PM it to me.

dr_rus

Whats the big deal with this? Genuinely curious.

Well, let's say that you're in London and you've bought a retail copy of CODIW. You've activated it and then you've traveled back home to NYC. Guess what? It won't launch and won't even download, because you're presumably a pirate or something:

d8ec.png

Same with any of the regions in the link above.

What makes no sense however is that a game / key bought for $60 somewhere in the US for example will not work in territories where the same game cost twice less officially. This is just so fucking stupid that I have no words to describe the people who thought that this was a good idea.

JaseC

What makes no sense however is that a game / key bought for $60 somewhere in the US for example will not work in territories where the same game cost twice less officially. This is just so fucking stupid that I have words to describe the people who thought that this was a good idea.

Yeah, Infinite Warfare has the dubious honour of being the first game* to be runtime-restricted in the US. The restriction expires three months following activation, though, so there's that.

* Well, Vindictus was, technically, but it's an F2P Nexon game.

abracadaver

Shadow caching does have a heavy effect on render target memory (as noted in the text description) but it should not be enabled by default on a 4GB card. If you have further diagnostic data on your crash feel free to PM it to me.

Is there a log file somewhere? Just had another crash after 5 minutes

I believe AW had the same issue, which was resolved by disabling shadow caching. Maybe that'll solve it?

E: here's a comparison from AW's PCGW page:

Call_of_duty_advanced_warfare_low_res_fix_comparison.png

Disabled it and now it looks fine. Thanks. Never had that problem in AW

JaseC

Didn't Advance Warfare do this too?

Its region-specific retail packages just cover Eastern Europe, Poland and Japan, though only the EE ones are runtime-restricted. Everywhere else falls under the "rest-of-world" banner.

dr_rus

Yeah, Infinite Warfare has the dubious honour of being the first game* to be runtime-restricted in the US. The restriction expires three months following activation, though, so there's that.

* Well, Vindictus was, technically, but it's an F2P Nexon game.
So if you wait for 3 months it will launch in any region? Or only in the region you're in currently and will freak out again if you'll travel to some other region and try to launch it?

Where does it say anything on 3 months btw?

I'm watching a guy playing on Twitch in multiplayer and it's completely unplayable due to stutters.

The game runs at a stable 90 fps (on a 970), but every couple of seconds it drops down to 60 or lower, and that basically causes constant freezes.

And that includes freezes that last several seconds.

JaseC

So if you wait for 3 months it will launch in any region? Or only in the region you're in currently and will freak out again if you'll travel to some other region and try to launch it?

Any region. The restriction drops off entirely.

It's not something Valve advertises, but it has been observed, even by at least one GAFer. I believe the change, which was retroactive, was something Valve quietly implemented when it modified the store's region detection system last April (not that one's store region has any bearing on the restriction; it's IP-based) as it's when I noticed I could now install Duck Dynasty, which I'd bought four or fives months earlier, from my usual, Australian IP.

I'm watching a guy playing on Twitch in multiplayer and it's completely unplayable due to stutters.

The game runs at a stable 90 fps (on a 970), but every couple of seconds it drops down to 60 or lower, and that basically causes constant freezes.

And that includes freezes that last several seconds.

That sounds like typical HDD scratch for texture swap in. I bet you his VRAM is not enough for his settings.

dr_rus

Any region. The restriction drops off entirely.

It's not something Valve advertises, but it has been observed, even by at least one GAFer. I believe the change, which was retroactive, was something Valve quietly implemented when it modified the store's region detection system last April (not that one's store region has any bearing on the restriction; it's IP-based).
Cool, thanks, so at least it's not a total loss for someone who got himself into such situation.

JaseC

Cool, thanks, so at least it's not a total loss for someone who got himself into such situation.

Yeah, although when buying from/in a region outside of US, there's the possibility of language restrictions to be mindful of, too, but in most cases there's a workaround.

Reviews on Steam so far are pretty negative, mentioning several performance issues as well as mouse acceleration etc.

Are they exaggerating?

For the campaign I'm getting locked 60 fps at 1440p with all options as high as they can go on a 1070. It's certainly a smoother experience out of the gate for me than Advanced Warfare and BLOPS 3.

jet1911

So if I buy a key from CDKeys (they only have euro keys for some reason) today I won't be able to play the game before next year?

Exemplary support for 21:9 resolutions from what I can see. There is a fov slider that goes pretty far compared with other games. I settled for fov 90 (default was 80), which worked nicely with my Z35 display.

The game runs great on my setup. Running 3840x1620, everything on their highest settings, best filmic AA, tesselation on everything, highest details on everything and vsync disabled. Gets me a frame rate of about 60-70 fps in practice (occasionally a bit lower, though), which seems smooth on my gsync.

The two introductory levels felt pretty great. Really awe-inspiring visuals with all the massive capital ships and carriers levitating everywhere in the second level. Gameplay is classic COD fare though, and not really competitive with Titanfall 2.

specs: 5820k@4.3, 16Gb RAM, Titan X Pascal, installed on ssd, win10, steam version

Thanks, i just got home and tested it out a bit. Looks great on my LG.

I'm only running at 2560X1080. Everything on max except AA and tessellation (Filmic 1, and Tess Near only)

I'm getting between 70 and 100FPS I'd say it averages around 85, though...

Specs: 2500K @ 4.5GHz, 8GB RAM, RX 480 8GB, installed on SS, Win10, Steam Version.

Well, let's say that you're in London and you've bought a retail copy of CODIW. You've activated it and then you've traveled back home to NYC. Guess what? It won't launch and won't even download, because you're presumably a pirate or something:

d8ec.png

Same with any of the regions in the link above.

What makes no sense however is that a game / key bought for $60 somewhere in the US for example will not work in territories where the same game cost twice less officially. This is just so fucking stupid that I have no words to describe the people who thought that this was a good idea.

Huh... Does this mean that the copy I bought on Steam in Korea will not work when I head back to the U.S. next year?

J3nga

Same fkin engine goes for years with same bag of problems, getting directx error every less than 5 mins, it had same issue with Ghosts and AW, lazy devs/publishers don't deserve money for this turd as game is pretty much unplayable.

abracadaver

Not in retail--if you have a .dmp file in %LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps that is useful, and then a DxDiag.txt to go along with it.

No idea where that is.

The game knows that it crashed the last time I played it though

edit: cant play this. crashes after a few minutes

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Well, great start with the game... One crash after the intro and one for low memory...

I have quite a good PC : i5 6600k / 16 Gb DDR4 / EVGA GTX 1080 FTW...

Am I the only one to have this issue ?

I'm having this issue. Right after the beginning cinematic it goes to a load screen and then just sits there. Two times this has happened. I'm about to restart my PC to see if that fixes it.

No idea where that is.

If you enter '%LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps' into an file system Explorer window it will open the location up. For myself for instance it's C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\CrashDumps. You may see a file such as 'iw7_ship.exe.dmp' or similar.

A DxDiag.txt is generated from the DirectX Diagnostic Tool--if you type dxdiag.exe into the Windows search bar it should come up. Click 'Save All Information' after it's done scanning.

No idea where that is.The game knows that it crashed the last time I played it though

Yes, we log a sentinel on boot, and then clear it on shutdown; if the sentinel is still present we know the process crashed without clearing the sentinel properly.

Didn't play last year's; does COD on PC still have that weird, jittery mouse movement problem? It seemed like a few games in a row had the same issue.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Welp game appears to be broken for me. Can't get the campaign to start. Restarted, started the game in safe mode, and still stuck at a fucking loading screen. Might be time to request a refund.

Edit: Annnd I got the low memory blue screen of death crash just now. Yeah, fuck this

GavinUK86

Game runs okay at max settings at 1080p on a 970, mostly 60fps, BUT I'm also getting the stuttering some others have mentioned every now and again.

GPU and CPU usage is nowhere near 100% so it isn't that. The 3.5GB of GPU memory is not all used up. Plenty of RAM spare too. It isn't so bad with vsync off but it's still there. It was doing it in Modern Warfare Remastered too. Not sure what's causing it.

I'm also noticing some textures are pretty low res, not the main ones like armors or guns, but odd little things in the environment. Is that just the general textures or am I seeing a bug here?

Top Bottom