• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donald J. Trump elected 45th President of the United States

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixieking

Banned
I know I took a bunch out of your quote, as I don't think any of that regret will really enter their minds even if those hypotheticals do happen.

As for the main question; they will regret it once hindsight is truly 20-20. By that I mean, when he is long gone and that wall isn't built, when he's owning a media empire as American industry is shafted by back-hand deals he'll make as it will save money. They'll regret it when nothing for their particular situation changes for the better.

Then they'll follow someone worse.

:( That's what I'm afraid of.

Bad judgement is one thing, if people can learn from it... But, like you, I don't think they will.

whoszed

I honestly think in the end it just came down to her being a woman.

I've been absolutely astonished over and over this election cycle by the number of women who adamantly throw their own gender under the bus and call the Presidency a "man's job."
Likewise, the number of men (and women) who seem to say things like "What if she gets her period?" while ignoring that she's nearly 70 years old. Did you never take a biology class? Do you have a wife, or mother?

Women say this stuff? You're kidding? Please tell me you're kidding.

Gingrich, Pence and Rudy....but he's anti-establishment. And people still want to argue that he didn't simply tap into idiocy?
Of course they will. Look at GAF. Nobody who voted for him will ever admit to being bigoted or knowingly voting for a bigot who had no idea what he's doing.

They bought into him literally lying their faces. And doomed the test of us because of it.

Kolgar

God bless!

Young ones, you will realize in time that this is for the best. Feel good about yourself; make the most of yourself. And honor your blessed country.

Seriously scared about the possibility of a World War now... And I thought Brexit was the stupidest thing...

Doubt thats possible. Even if Trump is a bumbling clusterfuck of a human his cabinet and congress wont be that dumb.

Now when they have to deal with ISIS, Boko Haram or Hezbollah that'll be a fucking shitshow. Nobody will have a single goddamn idea how to deal with that.

ResoRai

The President generally lacks the authority to direct state and local law enforcement to do anything, but it's possible to condition the grant of federal funds (i.e. from Homeland Security) on local police forces adopting some policy or another. What form the national "stop and frisk" program Trump intends to enact will take remains to be seen.

This, of course, glosses over the fact that any such program has a strong chance of being ruled unconstitutional.
I honestly don't know too much at all about politics, but can the Republicans controlling everything affect it being ruled as such?

I am so disgusted this has happened. I could accept losing to anyone else but Donald Trump? I am speechless. I cannot comprehend his rise to power and Ive never felt more fearful for our collective future.

So what was the overall turnout like this year? How many voters stayed at home?

Fuck, this is like a really lucid bad dream compounded by now being awake for 25.5 hours.

HotHamBoy

I honestly think in the end it just came down to her being a woman.

I've been absolutely astonished over and over this election cycle by the number of women who adamantly throw their own gender under the bus and call the Presidency a "man's job."
Likewise, the number of men (and women) who seem to say things like "What if she gets her period?" while ignoring that she's nearly 70 years old. Did you never take a biology class? Do you have a wife, or mother?

It's true. Mysogyny is an issue that transcends race and class. Even women seem to get in the way of their own progress, judging by the data.

Raylan

Banned
All I saw and read here, on Neogaf, in the last couple of days was: "Bitter tears after the election.... will be great"

And yeah, they were right. These "bitter tears" are glorious.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Many of us on GAF who saw Brexit happen, and saw the rise of populism in European countries, said that this may very well happen, no matter what polls say. I suggest that the people who ridiculed us have a hard think of what just happened, and what it says about their society. White racists in the flyover states isn't the answer.

Just woke up to the news. I feel ill. I never drank the Kool-Aid that so many did, saying there's no way Clinton could possibly lose, but it still sickens me that a guy who assaults women, is a racist, is xenophobic, is insane, has been chosen by the majority of Americans. I understand the frustration with the establishment, I truly do, but this is not the answer.

I understand why he won. How a silent majority simply cared about removing the establishment regardless of the cost. That being said i'm finding it quite difficult to want to still be an American. I'm mad at the people who made this happen. I don't like to be an individual that can say, "Yes my country supports racism, sexism, and xenophobia".

I want these voters to realize they made a mistake, but i'm conflicted if they should all suffer for it. I could certainly vote with my brain as a prospective engineer and leave the country, but I know some of these people were just frustrated. I genuinely don't know what to do. I don't feel that the people who truly felt that the establishment had harmed them failed democratically. However, at the same time there is a clear truth that racism and all of the related vices played just as large if not a larger role in this outcome.

Yeah, I'm with ya. It's all a bit stomach-turning.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm trying to look for the silver lining. The only thing I can come up with is there will be more material for daily show/last week. That's not helping much :(

The fuck?

And I thought Brexit was bad

Thoughts out to the LGBT community and POCs and all oppressed peoples of the US.

I see sentiments like this a lot, and someone correct me if I am wrong, but I don't recall Trump ever disparaging LGBT or implying he would do anything to harm social progress in that sphere.

Steel

Banned
Women say this stuff? You're kidding? Please tell me you're kidding.

Oh, I've known a couple tea party women who are like that. One aspired to be a trophy wife. The other literally believes that women should have never been given the right to vote.

Zeliard

Charlie Brooker's 2016 newswipe is going to be a very interesting watch. Man 2016 was a shit year.

Charlie Brooker was certain Trump would win, too. Part of that was possibly in the wake of S3 to boost his Black Mirror episode "The Waldo Moment," which looks disturbingly prophetic now, but he was one of the few public Trump haters who strongly felt he'd still win. Brexit probably didn't make him overly optimistic either.

It's only fitting that at the end of the presidency of the first black man in America, an older white guy steps in, erases everything he did, and says "sorry son but your turn doesn't count."

I've never been so disappointed and ashamed to be an American.

When being an optimist backfires. Fucking incredible how many racist bigots exist in this country. I had faith in humanity. I was wrong.

GYODX

I am never trusting polls or smug gaffers ever again.

I feel so fucking stupid. Trump supporters were right all along.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
This may be about Clinton and the faults if the dems, but this feels so much like a referendum on Obama

This is a bleak commentary on his legacy.

The only good thing about this is that I literally feel like anything is possible now. I'm inspired to run for office, if only for a chance to stick my boot in this man's ass.

I don't think that this is only that. A lot of this was a repudiation of Hillary. McCain and Romney are Republicans. Trump is anything but. He has been teflon the entire time. When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

The thing is though, a lot of people voted for him because they believe that the jobs will stay here. They aren't, he lied and Hillary just flat out didn't entertain that group. The economy is going to grow less than 1% yearly if that after a full year in office. He has now written a check that his boasts can't cash. Also of note, no one will ever take a poll seriously again.

Esiquio

This, and the country is a lot dumber and more bigoted than anybody could have ever imagined.

Hey man, these threads are moving lightning fast. You left a really good post in the closed thread, I'll respond to it here.

Ninja Scooter said:
I've asked and yet to receive an answer for someone, anybody, to give me one actual, legitimate position of Trump's that is either REAL (i.e. not just "i'll make things better trust me") or rooted in bigotry. This is what carried him. People decided to elect for a completely unqualified and racist man for President. I have ZERO respect for them. I totally understand these people are feeling disenfranchised and ignored, those are legitimate feelings, but channeling those feelings into voting for a reality show star who just feeds you bullshit and tells you what you want to hear, bullshit that any old idiot with 2 minutes and google can research for themselves and debunk, is not something deserving of respect. I don't respect or tolerate people who are willingly ignorant.

I'll give you a policy/plan of Trump's that I completely agree 100% with on every point:

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/policies/veterans-affairs-reform/

As a veteran, and knowing people personally who have been fucked by the VA, and with my own eyes seeing some extremely sad, soul-crushing shit at the hospitals, and with people literally dying while waiting for care...I'm all for every damn thing on this list.

vPFR4e.gif

lool

im looking forwards to statements from obama, hillary, and bernie

GhaleonEB

I cannot see this as anything but a downward turn given everything said by the incoming crew and how much control their party will wield for the next two years at minimum. It's all about lowered expectations and a hope that we get some kind of sanity and balance sooner than later.

My money is on "later". Much later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom