• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 PC performance thread

BashNasty

To offer a counterpoint to the doom and gloom here, just know that it's not a shitshow for everyone. Personally, I'm running it just fine at 1440p.

i7 6700k @ 4.4
GTX 1080 moderate overclock
16 gigs ran
SSD
Windows 10
G-sync monitor

And I do not have the latest nVidia drivers. That's right, do not.

Everything is maxed out at ultra, v-sync off, and overall I'm getting a pretty smooth (not totally flawless, but pretty damn good) experience at 1440p. Mouse feels fine too with sensitivity up to 60.

Enclose

So i noted that the game is running under low priority cpu usage. If i turn it up, the game automatically sets it down again.

Grechy34

To offer a counterpoint to the doom and gloom here, just know that it's not a shitshow for everyone. Personally, I'm running it just fine at 1440p.

i7 6700k @ 4.4
16 gigs ran
SSD
Windows 10
G-sync monitor

Everything is maxed out at ultra, v-sync off, and overall I'm getting a pretty smooth (not totally flawless, but pretty damn good) experience at 1440p. Mouse feels fine too with sensitivity up to 60.

If it's not flawless on that sort of rig then the game is absolutely cooked on PC.

i7 6700k @ 4.4
16 gigs ran
SSD
Windows 10
G-sync monitor

just fine is a vague statement and doesnt really tell us anything.

i5 6600k 4.5gz
MSI GTX 1070 overclocked by 140/300
16gb DDR4
1080p 144hz (btw)

set everything to ultra. What's adapative resolution? Mine is set to 75.

I get dips below to 60 quite often. The game seems to load after its done loading if you know what I mean. After quick loading, my frames will be like 30fps for like 3 seconds and it'll jump back to 70-100 (140+ in closed spaces)

everything is set to max

So yeah, if anyone can tell me what adaptive resolution is, would be appreciated. Googling it right after I type this out tho, lol

Locuza

So I guess no one can agree on whether it's 5 or 6 then?
Well another hint but I don't have the time currently to look precisely after the source:
Yeah, but interviews with Mitton prior AND after that say 5. I suspect him saying 6 was a slip of the tongue. 5 also makes more sense based on when development of the game likely started. Heh I also think the interviews where they talk about what percentage was kept also involved Mitton using 20 & 30 %. I guess this is what happens when you interview the Art Director about the game engine.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/205100/discussions/0/353916838208849384/#c343786746006186795

epmode

Just tested, no issue with mouse sensitivity on really low and ultra. Mouse only acted weird when i had vsync off.

So moving the mouse, say, 4 inches on Ultra moved your viewpoint the same amount when you were on Very Low? Well, maybe that's a bad test. Because my framerates between Ultra and Very Low are only ~15 FPS apart and the problem is more apparent with bigger framerate fluctuations.

Instead, I've found corners in the tutorial that will boost my framerate from 60 to 120, and I have to move my mouse a lot farther to turn when my framerate is at 120. It's so strange.

Not sure if it has anything to do with vsync.

I play overwatch/cs go with 500 dpi and man when I tried that on dishonored 2 i felt like I was crippled. Bumped it up to 2000 dpi and it still feels slower than my 500 dpi sensitivity.

drotahorror

Wonder why they went with modified id tech 5 over 6? 6 was great in DooM, 5 atleast on my old PC had stutter issues.

Either way, about to boot up in a bit and see the issues for myself. Really hope the mouse fix I quoted from someone fixes issues with the mouse.

Locuza

I have a feeling, due to the performance issues, it's 5. Doom was on 6 and look how that turned out.
When the art director Mitton really said that only 20-30% of the code remained it can't be the id Tech 6, Arkane Studios would have practically customized the id Tech 6 engine in parallel, which was in active rapid speed developmant by id Tech Studios.

Wonder why they went with modified id tech 5 over 6? 6 was great in DooM, 5 atleast on my old PC had stutter issues.

Either way, about to boot up in a bit and see the issues for myself. Really hope the mouse fix I quoted from someone fixes issues with the mouse.

I would guess that this game was deep in development while Tech 6 was stilling being worked on with Doom.

First 9 hours thoughts from RPS
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/11/10/dishonored-2-review-preorder/
Dishonored 2 Is The Thief Successor We Deserve
What I want to do is to reassure you that developers Arkane haven’t fluffed their lines with this sequel. Quite the opposite in fact – they’re firing on all cylinders.
Even before you arrive, the Dunwall-set prologue is more than a simple single-route escape. I spent an hour and fifteen minutes exploring and only found half of the cash hidden around the place.
When I started exploring Karnaca, I spent three hours uncovering side stories and treasures before even approaching the first mission.

gotta admit, performance is majorly disappointing. The frame rate is all over the place 50-140 and the judder when i turn vsync off is horrible. Ugh.

Diancecht

Judder is real.

980ti, i7 6700K @4.5 and 8 gb ram, installed on a ssd.

If I set everything to Ultra on 1080p, I get drops as low as 41 fps. After tweaking a bit, I've settled with mostly very high settings with some of them turned down to High. Now I get solid 60 most of the time but even this doesn't fix the stuttering and fps drops when looking at certain places or a in-game loading happens.

think i should just stop playing this game until the fix the performance issues? I don't think the I should be dipping anyWHERE below 60fps in this game. I mean it's great and all, but man does it run terribly. Specially when outside or i get in combat it dips to 40fps

again i5 6600k 4.5ghz
1070 140/400 oc
16gb ram

all set to ultra (1080p/144hz)

Enclose

Judder is real.

980ti, i7 6700K @4.5 and 8 gb ram, installed on a ssd.

If I set everything to Ultra on 1080p, I get drops as low as 41 fps. After tweaking a bit, I've settled with mostly very high settings with some of them turned down to High. Now I get solid 60 most of the time but even this doesn't fix the stuttering and fps drops when looking at certain places or a in-game loading happens.

same issues over here

Sorry if this has been mentioned. I'm playing everything on ultra at 1080p with Xbone controller. I found that if you turn up the control sensitivity it causes stutter/judder, but at its default it's smooth, but I'm just going through the tutorial.

Just finished tutorial. Ran well. There is a fair amount of input lag though. I guess it's more tolerable on controller than mouse.

I'm going to start the game now. Leaving the controller sensitivity on the default as increasing it causes stutter.

My setup. 980ti/3770k/16GB/win10.

CHC

Holy shiiiiiit I just
climbed my way up the pipes and rode the train
straight outta Dunwall.... Man. Dishonored. This game is going to be a joy.

But the mouse.... fix. The. Mouse. Please. Guys.

SimplexPL

Running with everything maxed on a 1080 and 6700K.
I am also encountering judder, especially when turning 180 degrees (so I'm guessing it's perhaps related to streaming). I locked the framerate to 60 using RTSS, and I am also using vsync. Funnily enough, even when the game judders and stutter, RTSS overlay is showing stable 60fps and perfect frametime of 16.6ms at all times (I observed similar behavior in another great port - Mafia III). So the at the very beginning the game never dropped below 60fps for me, but the judder is noticeable nonetheless.

I also hoped that judder will be reduced if I change power management from "optimal power" to "prefer maximum performance" but it did not.

The textures are better than in the first game but still relatively poor for end of 2016 standards. I get it they were going for this painterly/watecolour look and it works on environment textures, but not on thing such as posters, leaflets, etc. Also, some textures seem to be oversharpened and exhibit ringing artifacts on text (or maybe that's compression artifacts, I'm not an expert). Some screens (one texture is really horrible and a throwback to Dishonored 1 textures):

http://imgur.com/a/Lii32

(that's textures on Ultra)

Enclose

Running with everything maxed on a 1080 and 6700K.
I am also encountering judder, especially when turning 180 degrees (so I'm guessing it's perhaps related to streaming). I locked the framerate to 60 using RTSS, and I am also using vsync. Funnily enough, even when the game judders and stutter, RTSS overlay is showing stable 60fps and perfect frametime of 16.6ms at all times (I observed similar behavior in another great port - Mafia III). So the at the very beginning the game never dropped below 60fps for me, but the judder is noticeable nonetheless.

I also hoped that judder will be reduced if I change power management from "optimal power" to "prefer maximum performance" but it did not.

The textures are better than in the first game but still relatively poor for end of 2016 standards. I get it they were going for this painterly/watecolour look and it works on environment textures, but not on thing such as posters, leaflets, etc. Also, some textures seem to be oversharpened and exhibit ringing artifacts on text (or maybe that's compression artifacts, I'm not an expert). Some screens (one texture is really horrible and a throwback to Dishonored 1 textures):

http://imgur.com/a/Lii32

(that's textures on Ultra)

Playing exactly like you and had the same problems u discribed in Mafia 3, can i ask how u will play the game now? I mean the judder is just breaking the game for me, i have stable 60FPS and stable Frametimes but the Game is still not enjoyable for me, it does not matter how much i turn down the settings or smth else.

Tovarisc

Anyone yet opened safe
belonging to Vasco, in that island facility
? Can't find hints for combination and I refuse to leave it unopened!

E3DF8C656C7FBBBE2C82E24A803AF69513A1A9B2

this is what I'm getting just standing on a ledge and looking at a certain point everything is ultra at 1080p

can anyone recommend what to turn down so the game still looks good, but at least run consistently at 60 at least? I run tomb raider at 90-100fps except in very rare areas and that game looks way better

SimplexPL

Playing exactly like you and had the same problems u discribed in Mafia 3, can i ask how u will play the game now? I mean the judder is just breaking the game for me, i have stable 60FPS and stable Frametimes but the Game is still not enjoyable for me, it does not matter how much i turn down the settings or smth else.
There's not much to be done - we have to wait for an official patch, or unofficial community fix.
The game is not even officially released for everyone, so hopefully the fixes are coming.

Wanderer5

i5-4460
8GB
GTX 950
Win 10

Probably will be stuck with medium settings on textures, but can do high on anything else like Mirror Edge Catalyst and Rise of the Tomb Raider. Shall see how it goes.

Well, it started out decent on 4K Ultra with a 1070. Then I hit the throne room during gameplay (cutscene was fine) and it kinda tanked. Then I got out of the tower overlooking Dunwall and hooooo boy... down to maybe 5 fps while looking out over the buildings? Geez. Lowering resolution did nothing it seems. Feels like its just completely lacking any sensible lod scaling. I'll try with the Auto setting tomorrow. Game looks great maxed out at least imo.

Game performs like ass. Mouse smoothing in menus that can't be disabled. V-sync turned off increases input lag everywhere. Auto-detected visual settings set nearly everything to medium, game is still a stuttering mess. Arkham Knight was bad, but I was still able to play it. This on the other hand is unplayable as is.

Welcome to id Tech 5. Why anybody would make a game with this engine is beyond me. There's not a single well performing game on this engine. Dishonored 1 ran on Unreal Engine 3. What the hell happened. This game is going to receive absolutely terrible reviews on Steam if Arkham Knight, Mafia III, etc... is anything to go off of.

I don't expect any of this to be fixed.

GTX 970, i7 4770k

Compsiox

Banned
Insane amounts of aliasing and very dodgy rendering distance drops quality of all of that so hard. You need to be very close for stuff to look good.

How image quality deteriorates;

It has its moments;

Edit:

Living in Oceania or EU, or VPN for Muricans

Got one day early access with my pre-order.

Edit: Or this was actually the day of the release in the UK? I don't know.

Ahh okay going VPN route. Thanks guys.

CHC

One thing I would definitely not mind is a sharpening slider. I know I can use SweetFX but frankly I don't really feel like it. Nothing excessive but enough to slightly mitigate some of the TXAA blur.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Insane amounts of aliasing and very dodgy rendering distance drops quality of all of that so hard. You need to be very close for stuff to look good.

How image quality deteriorates;

It has its moments;

Edit:

Living in Oceania or EU, or VPN for Muricans

Straight up gross looking. After the first game looked so damn clean too, what a mess.

Top Bottom