• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 PC performance thread

renzolama

OK so regarding the mouse, NVidia FastSync + 60 FPS lock does wonders for the feel of it. It's perfectly tolerable right now. V-sync and plunging framerates seem to be the culprit here, as expected.

In my case, fastsync causes stuttering while in-game vsync setting does not. I have a 60FPS lock in both scenarios. Sounds like another game where performance is all over the place on different hardware configs.

Orion514

Would my ROG Swift Gsync monitor fix any of these issues, you think? I don't want to have bought and pre-loaded this game last night for a shitty port :(

CHC

Game is perfectly playable to me, but two major annoyances:

- Mouse feels horrible. Partially mitigated, as I mentioned, through FastSync + FPS cap, but still, it's not great.

- Hitting ENTER on the load screen? What the fuck? How about F, E, spacebar, escape, left click, right click? Literally any other key that isn't as far away as possible? No one is EVER anywhere near Enter when playing a videogame, it should be entirely off limits...

Tovarisc

Mouse smoothing in config file, dishonored2Config.cfg.

Where file is; C:\Users\<Insert_Username>\Saved Games\Arkane Studios\dishonored2\base

fxZEdMN.jpg

Moff

Would my ROG Swift Gsync monitor fix any of these issues, you think? I don't want to have bought and pre-loaded this game last night for a shitty port :(

I have the ROG Swift and it didn't solve anything

speaking of which, lately the monitor doesn't work as intended and I have to activate vsync ingame

Corpekata

Banned
Hmmm, I have a gsync monitor too. 3 of us reporting the issue have Gsync. Wonder if it's related to gsync maybe? Or maybe just more noticeable since most games are so much smoother.

IIRC Fallout 4 didn't particularly feel smooth with it either.

The game even on "fullscreen" mode appears to be borderless, which is what I attributed to the Gsync not working quite right, since borderless games are sort of iffy with it.

Moff

Hmmm, I have a gsync monitor too. 3 of us reporting the issue have Gsync. Wonder if it's related to gsync maybe? Or maybe just more noticeable since most games are so much smoother.

IIRC Fallout 4 didn't particularly feel smooth with it either.

The game even on "fullscreen" mode appears to be borderless, which is what I attributed to the Gsync not working quite right, since borderless games are sort of iffy with it.

fallout 4 was playable though and wolfenstein was super smooth

"Holy shit, Dishonored 2 is out!"

within a minute

"Holy shit I'm not playing Dishonored 2"

gg never thought I wouldn't play Dishonored 2 but here we are

jfc jfc

I hope that things change with the day one patch and drivers. I'll be back onboard in an instant

epmode

Fraps says I'm getting 75 FPS on my G-Sync monitor but I'll tell you that it absolutely doesn't feel like it in-game. It's choppy. I'm using a mouse if it matters.

Sigh.

edit: Dropped graphics settings to very low, was getting 100 FPS but the mouse movement feels choppier than 60 FPS in a regular game. Something's wrong.

Alexious

Yeah, it's a pretty bad port so far. My i7 6700K & GTX 1080 handles pretty much anything at 4K and maxed settings, but even dropping settings on High wasn't enough to get a smooth frame rate at 4K.

I had to drop the resolution to 1440P and then I could bring settings back to Ultra, though there are still some frame drops once in a while.

On the flipside, the game is as amazing as I expected.

GavinUK86

Yeah, it's a pretty bad port so far. My i7 6700K & GTX 1080 handles pretty much anything at 4K and maxed settings, but even dropping settings on High wasn't enough to get a smooth frame rate at 4K.

I had to drop the resolution to 1440P and then I could bring settings back to Ultra, though there are still some frame drops once in a while.

On the flipside, the game is as amazing as I expected.

Are we at the point of calling a game a bad port if it doesn't run at a decent framerate at 4k with max settings already?

epmode

So is the stuttering mainly due to the shoddy mouse input or is it bad with controllers as well?

I wouldn't call it stuttering. At least not on my G-Sync monitor. It never really gets stuck on a single frame for any length of time. Just feels like I'm getting a lower framerate than what Fraps is reporting. Judder maybe?

It's a bit less noticeable with a controller since the movements aren't as jerky but it's still happening.

thefil

Can't run at anything approaching decent frame rate, or without major input lag. On a 3570k and 660Ti. Even dropped down to 720p with no real benefit.

First game of the gen that seems like it's hard asking me to upgrade.

I'm above minimum settings by the way.

epmode

Also, I have a feeling that mouse input is directly related to framerate. As FPS increases, I have to move my mouse further to make the same movements. 60 FPS, easy to turn, 100 FPS, turning is significantly slower.

Port is a bit fucked.

Also, I have a feeling that mouse input is directly related to framerate. As FPS increases, I have to move my mouse further to make the same movements. 60 FPS, easy to turn, 100 FPS, turning is significantly slower.

Port is a bit fucked.

Mouse input as a function of framerate.

"A bit fucked"?

Anyway, judging by peoples words this doesn't have Id Tech 5's infamous 60FPS cap?

Alexious

Are we at the point of calling a game a bad port if it doesn't run at a decent framerate at 4k with max settings already?

It doesn't run at a decent frame rate at 4K even with High settings and it still has some issues at 1440P with Ultra settings. That's with a top of the line PC worth more than a grand, so yes. Game is amazing, but the port so far is not good.

epmode

Mouse input as a function of framerate.

"A bit fucked"?

Anyway, judging by peoples words this doesn't have Id Tech 5's infamous 60FPS cap?

According to Fraps, it doesn't. ..but it absolutely doesn't feel like the framerate Fraps is reporting.

Goddamn, I was really looking forward to this.

renzolama

I finished playing through the first indoor area, once I hit the outside I decided to call it quits. Consistent frame drops of 10-15 fps as you rotate the viewing frustrum in different directions, and there's almost never anything complex enough in the image to justify the performance hit. The drops cause a stutter each time that destroys the smoothness of the game, and the feeling of smoothly "gliding" through the world like a master assassin is one of the defining aspects of Dishonored gameplay for me. I'll play some other games until updates or tweak guides improve the experience on my 4790k / 1060

epmode

Dishonored 1 was as smooth as glass. This absolutely isn't. Massive framerate fluctuations as you look around even in small relatively enclosed areas. This wouldn't be so bad if it didn't influence mouse input but I'm pretty sure it does.

Really disappointing stuff so far. Hoping for a big performance patch.

Very disheartening to hear that it is being released in this state. Glad I have decided against pre-ordering most PC titles due to the issues that seems to be plaguing more and more games. I don't remember having too many serious issues with Dishonored when it launched.

Shouldn't be getting performance issues that people are reporting with similar rigs.

Specs:

6700k @4.5
32GB RAM @ 3200
980ti 6G
Predator xb271hu capped at 135hz through RTT

GavinUK86

It doesn't run at a decent frame rate at 4K even with High settings and it still has some issues at 1440P with Ultra settings. That's with a top of the line PC worth more than a grand, so yes. Game is amazing, but the port so far is not good.

I completely disagree but ok.

Definitely something borked with Vsync. If I turn vsync off the judder goes away but the screen tears like crazy.

Tried everything I can think of between Nvidia Control Panel, in-game, and RTSS to no avail. Hopefully it will be an easy fix on Arkane's end.

I'm going out soon so I won't be playing it for an hour or so, but with all the issues in this thread I'm not looking forward to it.

I just put everything to ultra at 1080p. 3770k/980Ti but didn't run the game.

Like others have said their first game ran extremely well. Maybe I shouldn't have pre ordered it like they said..

renzolama

Definitely something borked with Vsync. If I turn vsync off the judder goes away but the screen tears like crazy.

Tried everything I can think of between Nvidia Control Panel, in-game, and RTSS to no avail. Hopefully it will be an easy fix on Arkane's end.

I dunno about that, the frame drops aren't being caused by vsync (at least on my machine) and those are the main reasons for the stutter. It performs exactly the same with vsync on and off in bad areas for me. My money would be on occlusion culling, the engine seems to perform poorly when there are a lot of detailed objects in your viewing frustrum regardless of whether they're actually being drawn in the current frame.

epmode

Would anyone else with a high refresh monitor mind testing the mouse input?

Turn settings all the way up so that you're hopefully getting ~30 FPS, then set your mouse input to what feels comfortable. Then turn settings allllll the way down to maximize framerate and double-check the mouse input.

I'm almost positive that higher framerates make your mouse feel less sensitive. Like, I have to move my mouse X inches to do a 360 at 30 FPS, but it increases to Y inches at 120 FPS. I don't think I'm going crazy but it's such a strange problem that I want to be sure.

edit: I'm not sure if this is related to G-Sync but that's what I'm using.

GavinUK86

Another issue is that the game doesn't seem to look all that taxing in the first place.

That might be true but I was just debating whether a game performance at 4k is a good measuring stick.

It isn't.

But, it doesn't look good from the reports so far. Wonder what Arkane will say if it's bad for the majority.

They should've just stuck with UE. Bethesda forcing idtech isn't doing anyone any favours.

I dunno about that, the frame drops aren't being caused by vsync (at least on my machine) and those are the main reasons for the stutter. It performs exactly the same with vsync on and off in bad areas for me. My money would be on occlusion culling, the engine seems to perform poorly when there are a lot of detailed objects in your viewing frustrum regardless of whether they're actually being drawn in the current frame.

I'm specifically talking about areas where the framerate is locked 60 yet there is massive judder.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Man, if only they'd used the DOOM engine instead of their own internal build. Does this even support Vulkan or DX12? My 280X weeps at 7970 being the minimum lol. It handled DOOM on Ultra pretty damn well thanks to Vulkan tho.

It's built on idTech 5 (the void engine, that is).

Such a shame they went with a modified version of the worst idTech version.

Locuza

I'm curious if and how Bethesda or ZeniMax are forcing id tech.
The Void engine seems to be a custom engine using id Tech 5.
Doom on the other hand also developed it further and dubbed it id Tech 6.
Now for Quake Champions they will develop a id Tech + Saber Engine Hybrid.

There will be like three heavily different branches.

renzolama

I'm specifically talking about areas where the framerate is locked 60 yet there is massive judder.

I don't experience that scenario at all, in my case the only time the game stutters is during frame drops. On another note, it seems that turning down the view distance has a major impact on my performance. When looking down to the left after exiting the indoors area for the first time, I get:

~42 at Very High
~50 at High
60 at Medium (mostly locked)

This is leaving all other settings at Very High / enabled

Edit: It doesn't fix the drops when there are numerous npcs on screen at once though, and the other settings don't seem to have a significant effect on it either. I give up

GavinUK86

I don't experience that scenario at all, in my case the only time the game stutters is during frame drops. On another note, it seems that turning down the view distance has a major impact on my performance. When looking down to the left after exiting the indoors area for the first time, I get:

~42 at Very High
~50 at High
60 at Medium (mostly locked)

This is leaving all other settings at Very High / enabled

Edit: It doesn't fix the drops when there are numerous npcs on screen at once though, and the other settings don't seem to have a significant effect on it either. I give up

what cpu and card do you have?

Top Bottom