• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vampire the Mafia |OT| A Game of Masquerade

CHAPTER ELEVEN

The rattle of chains woke me. Alarmed with the gravity of time's passing, I arose in defiance. The diner had darkened with the evening light, and my bleary eyes could barely discern the gloom from what monstrous matter that now towered above me, looming.

"You misunderstand," spoke the shape. "For to be destined is to be dead, that is what fate is. Heaven is but the hallowed ground upon which Death drew its line, so do not limit your passage with thoughts of your living there."

"Who are you?" I asked.

"The monstrous matter that towers above you. The shape that speaks and is questioned for it," it said. "I am what you perceive to be character, if character is what you perceive."

In silence, I thanked my drowsiness for having kept me composed, before pressing forth. "But what are you? Are you human? What's your name?" I said.

"Mazre, the shape," it replied. "A meaning means, yet if I am defined by curse of blessing, you would call me cruel indeed."

"So, your name is Mazre?"

"My name is cruel indeed."

"Okay, um. If you don't like that name, should I call you by something else?" I asked it.

"If by something else, you mean not Mazre," it said. "So cruel indeed." It was then that the waiter leapt at it, fangs bared.​

Swamped

Banned
Sorry for the lack of activity, MIL is around.

I could definitely vote for Trigger based on what others have said. I still gut read AB as town. The defensive posts people are bringing up read townish to me. AB is an experienced player and I don't think he would play like that if he was scum. I'm reading Mazre as town too. I really want to vote for Zubz though.

VOTE: Zubz

Zubz votes for Dr Worm, in his next post gives a reason not to vote for him but decides to stick with his vote. I just think that his reasoning for a Dr Worm vote is very poor. And it feels like a safe vote to me. Coupled with his noncommittal stance earlier in the day phase ("I only want to vote when it's down to the wire") I just feel quite uneasy about him.

Dr Worm isn't off the hook either, but is someone I would look at later.

It's a fair stance to take, I think.

Day 1 is awkward because we have nothing to go on. We just have people half-starting shit just to get drama going, if only so we can try to tie people together in later rounds. Some people might want to keep their heads down - maybe they just don't want to be targeted, by anyone, for whatever reason.

I'm mostly reticent about bandwagoning right now because there's nothing to suggest going one way or another. If someone trips up or whatever, I'll vote them, but I just want to see the arguments people are making before I do something rash and town loses one of their own needlessly.

I understand the mindset, and I don't find it suspicious, but I don't share in it.

This post...I feel like he's trying to defend Zubz, but not too overtly. So yeah...keeping an eye on him.

batsnacks

Just thinking out loud here

zubz voted worm for supporting a no lynch, right after worm said he wouldn't be around. There have been pro no lynch statements from others since the beginning so it seems opportunistic to vote someone who just said they won't be around for something others were already doing before.

Gorlak

Banned
El Topo ... how are you approaching the wrong formatted votes? Satanic has a misspelled vote on from hobo on him and Blarg's vote on Christina doesn't show up.

It's misleading especially since Satanic is tied vote leader with Trigger atm.

Timeaisis

So it's 1AM here as I type this so I apologise in advance.

So I decided to look at the connections between players in a few ways. 1: When a player gives an opinion on someone else or asks for the opinion of someone else to the group at large. 2: An ongoing conversation that was held between players. The result? This monstrosity. (Apologies for the handwriting, now you know how my students feel)

bt9bTp6.jpg

I've just used this to help me see which players are being homed in on and which players are doing the hunting. Blarg has a ton of arrows on him but that's mainly due to squidy asking about voting on him right away. Only other info I feel this really gives is seeing which players can be a bit obsessive (Squidy keeps on at Blarg, early on and later focuses on gorlak quite a bit, as does batsnacks) but I see nothing useful in this. It's probably just play style, these guys have got questions and want answers.

The convos are a bit more interesting to me as (in my eyes) it shows who is having a conversation and who is just throwing thoughts out (guilty as charged). Gorlak is the hub of conversation in my eyes right now as he has a lot of red coming of him. Someone who is involved in this many convos this early on is a keeper to me. I'm not saying he is generating them but if he is town he is keeping info flowing and if he is scum then he has a greater chance of getting himself tangled up.

I don't like that Satanic Stan hasn't offered any explanation to his maybe maybe not roll claim posts form earlier even though a number of us have discussed it, it's a conversation thread that has been left dangling. Don't expect a resolution but would like to hear some sort of explanation from him.

This is fantastic. Couple of thing I'm noticing.

Lots, lots, lots of discussion surrounding Blarg, even people that were saying we should ignore him. It's a curse, I guess.

Interesting to note that you and Zubz have only mentioned Blarg. Obviously, you've just changed that, now. :p But Zubz is an interesting person to look into, but seems to have been becoming more opinionated as the day goes on.

You are absolutely right about Gorlak being the center of the conversation, which goes back to my initial suspicions of him (and squidy's).

As for a lynch today...

Satanic Saint still has not come forward to speak about his claim, so that's a possibility. Zubs, as people have mentioned, has offered little in this day phase. Gorlak is the most suspect with his almost-claim, but I said I'd give him a day and I stand by it.

And then there's the rest...Dr. Worm et al, if you will. A random, lynch from the hat, if there ever was one. But sometimes you gotta do that.

For now, I'll stick on SS.

Gorlak

Banned
Just thinking out loud here

Yeah, you know what bats, that does sound really good. I bet you have no ill intention and simply think out loud here.

I don't know why, but suddenly I get the feeling lynching Zubz would be a good idea, does anyone else agree?

PS: That batsnacks guy seems like a genuine dude, not feeling up on certain vibes and only giving innocent remarks.

Gorlak

Banned
1.This is fantastic. Couple of thing I'm noticing.

2. Lots, lots, lots of discussion surrounding Blarg, even people that were saying we should ignore him. It's a curse, I guess.

First: This picture is not incorporating every single connection in this game. It is obviously a subjective impression of the game. (It's still lit, though)

Second: Don't forget that this discussion was brought upon everyone by squidyj.

infinit777 voted squidyj for going after blarg, he has the smell of a freshling surrounding him, asking questions, wants to get into the game and he positioned himself clearly against squidyj

He probably won't post anymore. Null read, could be anything, I wished he'd provided a bit more of his opinion towards others, let's see what this will look like tomorrow. I'm not going to vote him.

Hey, just popped in while my gf is in the shower and got caught up. I really don't have any oppinions on everyone else as it's too clearly in the game and I am have trouble analysing people off the bat. I'm pretty sure I will have a better grasp after day 1 and night 1 are over.

As of right now I still am very skeptical of squidyj. I honestly don't think that's ever going to change because most things I have seen them saying (that I remember) seemed to be like something I would expect the scum people to do.

I would use examples but I'm on mobile and it's difficult to look through all that stuff on here.

If you would like to ask my oppinions on someone specific though, I would gladly reread through all their posts when I get back to a desktop computer tomorrow night or Monday morning and try to come up with an early game analysis.

I'm still going to pop in to check on what's going on when I can. If I see anything talking about me I will try to reply.

batsnacks

Yeah, you know what bats, that does sound really good. I bet you have no ill intention and simply think out loud here.

I don't know why, but suddenly I get the feeling lynching Zubz would be a good idea, does anyone else agree?

PS: That batsnacks guy seems like a genuine dude, not feeling up on certain vibes and only giving innocent remarks.

f50Vuhc.gif

Timeaisis

First: This picture is not incorporating every single connection in this game. It is obviously a subjective impression of the game. (It's still lit, though)

Second: Don't forget that this discussion was brought upon everyone by squidyj.

True, fair points. Just making some notes, mostly for me, tbh.

I'm still on SS, though. He hasn't really said much this day phase, which could easily go either way. He's a new player, and heat could ostensibly mean that doesn't want to engage for fear of digging himself deeper as town, I admit that.

As for squidy, yes he brought it up, but everyone engaged in it. It's true he drove it, but it's clearly something everyone else had thoughts on. There's plenty of times in mafia games where someone comments on something and it doesn't take. This was not one of them. I don't think your scum, and I await your eventual roleclaim, but that's just my opinion right now.

And Swamped, and bats, those are some interesting point about zubs. Voting for someone who supports no lynch is somewhat of an easy out for scum to hide a vote behind, without needing much explanation. Like I said I'm leaning zubz or SS, but I'd really like to hear from SS before the day ends.

StMeph

This is pretty interesting.

StMeph is still missing, could also be a scum play (lie low, let the day fade out), especially after he got called out pretty quick for the random lynch idea, typical newbie scum player behaviour, and it looks like it's working.

I'm certainly aware of the impression it's giving off, but I'm traveling now through Thanksgiving next week, so my activity is sporadic during this period. Believe it or not as you wish.

StMeph
Is against the No-Lynch. All that he's posted, though, was this and his suggestion to lynch down (or up) the list. He stated that this would be no better or worse than any other method for day one. I have to disagree on that. If we vote out one person simply due to where they are on the list, we don't get any ones motivations, when questioned on their vote their only defense/reason will be "They were next on the list".

The suggestion to go random was simply a starting point, not literally to play the entire game going down the list to randomly lynch people. We have almost no information here, and people are still fairly quiet, so I personally don't really feel like we know enough to definitively single out anyone as scum. Do you feel strongly enough about your pick/vote to say that it's better than rolling a d20 and lynching that person?

Swamped

Banned
It's highly unlikely I will vote for Satanic Saint. Could change my vote to Trigger if there is a tie. Still, I urge people to consider Zubz.

StMeph

Looks like three hours left.

Gorlak's been an active provocateur trying to generate reactions and discussions, but claiming to claim twice is, at minimum, skeevy. Plus the constant vote shifting seems like more fishing as well.

Blarg's posts are a chore, but not really enough of a reason on its own. I think that ship's sailed anyway as no one is focused on him.

I don't see enough in the last hours here to bandwagon Dr. Worm or Trigger either.

CHAPTER TWELVE

The waiter disappeared into it.

"What is the day to this creature?" Mazre said. "What one perceives as death, another may perceive as limitation. To a kind such as these, such is true of life, and light."

"What happened to him?" I yelled.

"My name determines his fate; if I am called Mazre, and not by something else, to him I would be cruel indeed."

Enough, already. "Stop it with your wordplay," I said. "I asked you a simple question, just give me a simple answer. The simple answer!"

"No. My name is his fate," it replied. "It is your decision."

"No! I don't want that responsibility. I won't allow you to make me choose!" I edged forward off the seat, and to my surprise, it drifted backwards, away from the booth. Hesitating for a moment, I decided to stand, still facing it. Whatever it was, or wanted itself to be, it seemed to extend past both the ceiling and the floor, past existence itself. "You can't stop me," I whispered. "I can walk away."

"And that is your folly, B'la," it said. "If my name is the judge, it cannot be the executioner, and I cannot be it for you forever. That which is difficult to some is not purposeless to all."

Despite the dim light, a corner of my eye had acquired the location of the exit. There was a muffled crunch with every step towards it, my soles treading on bits of broken glass; the only evidence of the waiter's reality, as the bite on my neck swore for the vampire's. "If even thinking of you is a death sentence," I spat, still facing it as I walked out, "Then consider yourself forgotten."

I never saw it again.​

Gorlak

Banned
Blarg your posts are entertaining, yes. But I won't let you survive this game when you keep not playing, we all can't just ignore the lack of usefulness. I know you're capable of more, unless you're scum that is.

Who will you vote? And why?

Hobohodo

El Topo ... how are you approaching the wrong formatted votes? Satanic has a misspelled vote on from hobo on him and Blarg's vote on Christina doesn't show up.

Good spot. Just to avoid any ambiguity at days end,

vote: satanic saint

El Topo

I'll ask the mods how I can work around this with the voting tool. In general, I think players should pay attention to who they are actually voting for and not pull stupid tag shenanigans that causes the voting tool not to work.
I will give a manually updated vote count in a few minutes.

El Topo

Day 1 votes
---------------------------------------------------
blargonaut (0)
squidyj 74 (274)
swamped 216 (403)

gorlak (2)
gorlak 122 (138)
trigger 156
squidyj 274 (318)
mickd 355

batsnacks (0)
gorlak 138 (205)

squidyj (1)
infinit777 140

ynnek7 (0)
swamped 142 (214)

christina mackenzie (1)
timeaisis 144 (249)
dusk soldier 147 (383)
blargonaut 194

hobohodo (0)
ynnek7 191 (374)
gorlak 328 (391)

swamped (0)
gorlak 205 (225)

mickd (1)
swamped 214 (216)
ynnek7 375

christian mackenzie (0)
gorlak 225 (228)

fat4all (0)
gorlak 228 (275)
timeaisis 249 (359)

absolutebro (0)
batsnacks 244 (250)

absolutbro (1)
batsnacks 250

stmeph (0)
gorlak 275 (328)

mazre (0)
squidyj 318 (356)

no lynch (1)
dr. worm 334

dusk soldier (1)
christina mackenzie 344

dr. worm (1)
zubz 349

trigger (3)
squidyj 356
fat4all 373
mazre 382
gorlak 391 (395)

satanic saint (3)
timeaisis 359
gorlak 395
hobohodo 419

satanicsaint (0)
hobohodo 368 (419)

timeaisis (1)
dusk soldier 383

zubz (1)
swamped 403

blu_1479592800.png

Gorlak

Banned
Where's everyone?

What do you think about MickD? I quoted all of his posts earlier (essentially nothing) and he responded with a vote on me and nothing else, no explanation, nothing else. Clearly lynching him would get us rid of some deadweight, but as I said earlier this could cause problems tomorrow (missing leads). Are you in favour or against it? Pros and cons?

Zubz

Banned
URL]

So, I just did some studies on some old posts, and I really don't have TOO strong of opinions on anyone right now. Everyone just seems normal right now. Swamped and Squidy are going in (With Swamped adding .GIF's of... Buffy the Vampire Woman? I recognized "What We Do In The Shadows," but not her .GIF's). Gorlak and Blarg are playing characters. Satanic seemed to be playing a character for a role claim (Not a safe move on Day 1, but it has me curious). Ynnek's trying to make "Maf" happen (It's not going to happen). The others just seem quiet; I keep forgetting AbsoluteBro's even here.

Maybe I'm just dense, but nothing's really sticking out (I liked Swamped's point about Blarg not yet explaining why he's obsessed with Mazre, though). I mean, I know a few others have voted for a No Kill, but none of them hit me as hard as Dr. Worm because he's the only one who actually made a vote for it.

As for the votes against me... Eh, I can see it. My biggest suspicion beyond people not voting are other relatively-inactive members. I'm also aware that I have not been as active this past week as I have in other ones (Of course, in other games I also worked at a job where I could keep GAF open when I wasn't busy. I can't really do that anymore). That said, I do agree that inactivity is the perfect place for a Wolf (Gangrel?) to hide, so it's worth trying to get those who aren't too involved more involved. I mean, Swamped pulled me in. Let's see what we can do for the others.

Ok, all of this "suddenly" and "vibes" stuff... Is this in character for Heather? I mean, I'm assuming she's a fanatical henchwoman, but is she "loyal" fanatical, or "watches you sleep" fanatical?

Zubz

Banned
Ack! My .GIF!

88f.gif

I was going to look so cool and everything, making it look like I just did some serious reading and analyzing. And with the GOAT Vampire, to boot! Sorry I failed you, Lord DIO.

Zubz

Banned
... Oh dear, we're at a tie, aren't we?

Satanic Saint seems useful to us, whereas I have no opinions on Trigger (Like... None). I mean, Trigger has been useful for explaining mechanics, and that doesn't seem 110% scummy, but (I hate doing this because I did this in Archer game and it got suspicion put on me for what I find to be a very pro-Camarilla move) I'm going to break the tie in case this place is a graveyard for the next hour or so.

Unvote: Dr. Worm
Vote: Trigger

Get it? Graveyard? Because we're all undead? Anyway, that is definitely very suspicious of Gorlak.

StMeph

VOTE: Gorlak

Constant vote shifting seems like fishing/trying to make shit stick and see who bandwagons to pile on someone.

Gorlak

Banned
Ah, fellas holding the tie against me? After stating like a million times I'm doing this explicitly to get you to move your asses? wtf

squidyj you still up to blow blarg's lights out?

Zubz

Banned
Ah, fellas holding the tie against me? After stating like a million times I'm doing this explicitly to get you to move your asses? wtf

Come, now. Is that any way to speak to your bosses? But you did cause a tie when we had, like, 2 hours. It's Saturday afternoon, and people are busy. There was always a good chance nothing would come of a "push" and we'd just waste a day phase.

Dr. Worm

Banned
I want to apologize to everyone playing - town, mafia, and/or other - for my inactivity over the last day and a half. I've been relatively busy this week irl, but I know that shouldn't excuse me from an expectation of commitment to making this game fun. I should be able to be more active during the next Day Phase.

I'm going to try to catch up on what I missed now. Thank you for your understanding.

This leaves an option for shenanigans, I don't want Satanic out, but I want all of you to vote someone.
I like your style Gorlak.

AbsolutBro promised to write some more, I'm waiting on that. We also got connections to Swamped (town reading him) and more so to Trigger. Also you bringing him up constant and now me agreeing. I guess, it would be better to lynch AB over Trigger.
Sorry, I've been out tamping rock for the last couple hours and my arms are jelly. I have taken a quick reread, but I have to admit I mostly focused on our top two candidates: Satanic Saint and Trigger. Honestly? Neither one reads scum to me.

I feel like a lynch on SS would be a waste, despite limited readability on him, in the off chance his initial post was not a fluff post. At the very least, it is bait for scum during the night. Why waste our day phase lynching him?

Trigger may have mostly posted mechanical stuff, but that's not exactly unusual for day 1 for a lot of players. Myself included. I admit full bias in reading his last couple posts as being town posts.

I keep forgetting AbsoluteBro's even here.
That's fair.

OTOH, I do have a problem with this post:

I swear if we waste the rest of the game deciphering these chapters... I'd be a happy man.

We should absolutely not be happy with having to decipher this stuff all game. At best it's a smoke screen for future PR information. At the very worst, it's a purposeful obfuscation and post count padding. I said it is not necessarily something that makes me read him scum and I stand by that, but it is also not something that helps town much at all.

See:
Even Blarg is being suspiciously quiet. Although I guess it doesn't matter, I stopped reading his posts around chapter 4.

This is not meant to be calling out Dusk Soldier at all, it is simply illustrating my point.

Anyway, if we're looking outside the box for votes, I would go:

Vote: MickD[/vote]

I realize my justification will be a case of pot/kettle, but so far the only thing that stands out is a single vote for Gorlak with absolutely no explanation behind it at all.

squidyj

yes.
but all of this just makes me want to see trigger's flip more.

VOTE: Gorlak

Constant vote shifting seems like fishing/trying to make shit stick and see who bandwagons to pile on someone.

Just saying, but watching votes shift around during end game ties is usually waaaay more helpful to town than it is to scum.

I will be on mobile for the rest of the phase.

Zubz

Banned
I know they can be horribly distracting, but I find Blarg's antics amusing. I wasn't really serious about wanting to decipher them all game. It's just an interesting, quirky playstyle that I appreciate having.

Dr. Worm

Banned
Sorry, I've been out tamping rock for the last couple hours and my arms are jelly. I have taken a quick reread, but I have to admit I mostly focused on our top two candidates: Satanic Saint and Trigger. Honestly? Neither one reads scum to me.

I feel like a lynch on SS would be a waste, despite limited readability on him, in the off chance his initial post was not a fluff post. At the very least, it is bait for scum during the night. Why waste our day phase lynching him?

Trigger may have mostly posted mechanical stuff, but that's not exactly unusual for day 1 for a lot of players. Myself included. I admit full bias in reading his last couple posts as being town posts.

This sums up my current thoughts pretty well.

I guess I'm just too trusting of people, really. If push comes to shove, I can weigh in during the last few minutes, but I'm personally comfortable with a lynchless Day 1. I realize it's unlikely to end up that way, though, so I might as well do a "lesser evil" vote (well, I guess it's more voting for the "greater evil").

Swamped

Banned
Looks like my Zubz vote isn't going to go anywhere. I'm ok voting for Trigger too.

VOTE: Trigger

I still think MickD is too inactive to be scum. But I'd keep an eye on him in the subsequent day phase.

StMeph

Just saying, but watching votes shift around during end game ties is usually waaaay more helpful to town than it is to scum.

I will be on mobile for the rest of the phase.

But Gorlak created the tie and shifted his vote around well before the end of the Day phase.

Ynnek7

Ynnek's trying to make "Maf" happen (It's not going to happen).

Woah now, don't try pinning this "Maf" thing on me.

Gorlak are you maf'ing? You maf'ing bro?

This is my new slang thats sweeping the vampire nation everyone is using it

My vote is still on MickD, but I'll agree, losing him wouldn't really give us much at all to work with. I feel like it's a bad idea to lynch either him or Satanic Saint. Once scum start's going after inactives they'll take care of MickD for us. With Satanic Saint, I'd probably start to get suspicious of him if he makes it through a couple night phases unscathed.

squidyj

doesn't matter. I do want to make sure trigger bites it so we don't have to waste time debating whether or not gorlak was protecting a scum teammate.

Ynnek7

You seem fairly sure that MickD is town.

We'll, if they don't take care of him for us, that will give us reason to suspect him and go through with a lynch.

I just know that scum eventually goes after players who don't contribute. That way there's less information to link back to them.

El Topo

Day 1 votes
blargonaut (0)
squidyj 74 (274)
swamped 216 (403)

gorlak (3)
gorlak 122 (138)
trigger 156
squidyj 274 (318)
mickd 355
stmeph 427

batsnacks (0)
gorlak 138 (205)

squidyj (1)
infinit777 140

ynnek7 (0)
swamped 142 (214)

christina mackenzie (1)
timeaisis 144 (249)
dusk soldier 147 (383)
blargonaut 194

hobohodo (0)
ynnek7 191 (374)
gorlak 328 (391)

swamped (0)
gorlak 205 (225)

mickd (2)
swamped 214 (216)
ynnek7 375
absolutbro 432

christian mackenzie (0)
gorlak 225 (228)

fat4all (0)
gorlak 228 (275)
timeaisis 249 (359)

absolutebro (0)
batsnacks 244 (250)

absolutbro (1)
batsnacks 250

stmeph (0)
gorlak 275 (328)

mazre (0)
squidyj 318 (356)

no lynch (1)
dr. worm 334

dusk soldier (1)
christina mackenzie 344

dr. worm (0)
zubz 349 (426)

trigger (5)
squidyj 356
fat4all 373
mazre 382
gorlak 391 (395)
zubz 426
swamped 437

satanic saint (3)
timeaisis 359
gorlak 395
hobohodo 419

satanicsaint (0)
hobohodo 368 (419)

timeaisis (1)
dusk soldier 383

zubz (0)
swamped 403 (437)

blu_1479592800.png

Gorlak

Banned
doesn't matter. I do want to make sure trigger bites it so we don't have to waste time debating whether or not gorlak was protecting a scum teammate.

Actually it's totally okay that you have a hard on for me, but you completely ignore that bats constantly brought up AbsolutBro and afterwards Swamped and bats pushed in Zubz direction.

squidyj

Actually it's totally okay that you have a hard on for me, but you completely ignore that bats constantly brought up AbsolutBro and afterwards Swamped and bats pushed in Zubz direction.

there is a lot of information to be parsed. That's part of it.

Top Bottom