• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

nOoblet16

The camera controls are so responsive i wish Rockstar would dump there input lag infested engine and made RDR2 on this engine instead.
It has nothing to do with engine...R* games have considerably superior and physically correct animations than what this game has, and also they have a lot more of them..that's the reason why you have the lag. If GG wanted they could have implemented physics based animations in their engine as well where animations take priority over controls for the sake of realism...which would have led to similar lag.

nOoblet16

Tearblast Arrows seem like the most difficult to craft at my point in the game. I try to only use them if there is a huge benefit (like shooting the disc launchers off a Thunderjaw), but otherwise I am not really using them for other enemy components much. I don't want to run out and have no way to craft more when I really need them.

Does it become easier to craft them more towards the middle of the game? I'd say I'm in the 1/3 of the game. Echo Shells seem the limiting resource.
You'll find echo shells easily later on, from both boxes and enemies.

I never ever once was careful with crafting them and pretty much used them for every enemy that took more than two shots to kill and I rarely ever ran out. The times I did I just bought them from a vendor and used them conservatively until I was getting the shells again.

X-Frame

I just found out that on Very Hard difficulty, Aim Assist is disabled entirely.

I'm more proud of myself now considering some of the shots I've landed.

sobaka770

Banned
I don't think its entirely true.

HOO2pNc.gif

Let's not nitpick, most of the grass/wheat in the Witcher is moving with Geralt and Roach (at the bottom of this gif as well|).

I love Horizon and the way it looks, but no grass/water physics feels like a limitation of the console in a blatant way. And if moving grass is what it takes to have such a clean pucture and a solid framerate, then it's a laughable tradeoff compared to how good everything else is.

PS. With GTX1080 this guy could've had Hairworks on and run it at 60 FPS. I'm just drooling at how much the devs can squeeze if consoles reach that level.

It has nothing to do with engine...R* games have considerably superior and physically correct animations than what this game has, and also they have a lot more of them..that's the reason why you have the lag. If GG wanted they could have implemented physics based animations in their engine as well where animations take priority over controls for the sake of realism...which would have led to similar lag.

Nothing to do with that, i'm talking about frames of input delay on the moment you touch the controls.
Like camera movement which has nothing to do with animation

nOoblet16

No.

Stormbird is the hardest enemy in the game, second corrupted Rockbreakers.
Corrupted Rockbreaker are easy, infact any corrupted is easy because you can just burn them.

Normal Rockbreaker on the other hand is my most hated enemy in the game. But yea Stormbird is the one I've killed the least because it has all the attacking capabilities of a Thunderjaw with the annoyance of Glinthawks and the durability of a Rockbreaker (it takes ages to get his critical parts that allow it to fly around and attack)

nOoblet16

Nothing to do with that, i'm talking about frames of input delay on the moment you touch the controls.
Like camera movement which has nothing to do with animation
Still nothing to do the engine. Might as well just be an acceleration issue. I know for one that in GTA5's case it was a deadzone issue.

DeaDPo0L84

PSA:if you have the tinker skill you still need to remove an existing mod before putting a new one in. You can't simply swap them as you will lose the current one. I found this out the hard way after realizing I was missing purple mods. Kinda dumb to be honest since if I swap and have the skill it should put it back into my inventory.

nOoblet16

Let's not nitpick, most of the grass/wheat in the Witcher is moving with Geralt and Roach (at the bottom of this gif as well|).

I love Horizon and the way it looks, but no grass/water physics feels like a limitation of the console in a blatant way. And if moving grass is what it takes to have such a clean pucture and a solid framerate, then it's a laughable tradeoff compared to how good everything else is.

PS. With GTX1080 this guy could've had Hairworks on and run it at 60 FPS. I'm just drooling at how much the devs can squeeze if consoles reach that level.
The foliage movement in Witcher 3 is hardly physics based. It's just a simple wiggling motion that happens when Geralt passes through it. They probably could have done it in Horizon but I don't know why they didn't. Sometimes it's just about priorities and it probably wasn't a priority. And example I'll give is the recent R&C remake, the PS2 original had leaves and bushes that moved (again nothing physics based, just move in a canned way whenever player passed through)...the remake had none of that.

You're clearly talking out of your ass if you're saying the game has no foliage physics, and saying that Witcher 3 foliage reacts so much to player movement.

Neither game acts like Crysis.

xinek

I have a question about the video output settings for this game. I have a Pro, am using the "favor resolution" graphics mode with a LG B6. All the video output settings on the Pro are set to automatic. So, there is often banding in the sky or by light sources -- it's not super noticeable, but does anyone else see this? When I set the Pro's video output mode to "2160p - YUV420", the banding is gone. Is the Pro's automatic setting not working correctly? HDR game mode is working just fine.

Jamaro85

PSA:if you have the tinker skill you still need to remove an existing mod before putting a new one in. You can't simply swap them as you will lose the current one. I found this out the hard way after realizing I was missing purple mods. Kinda dumb to be honest since if I swap and have the skill it should put it back into my inventory.

Maybe your game is glitched because this is not how it works for me. The first thing I did was test it and it has worked since.

I feel like I rely too much on slow motion to make shots. Anyone else?

I use it on damn near every shot that I'm taking without an enemy chasing me. No shame here.

Happy they did not do that .
Aloy is such a joy to play sometimes you have to cut down on animation for gameplay .
Even more so in 30fps games.

Is there any reason to buy the green and blue versions of the weapons? I'm just saving resources for the purple versions. I have the purple hunter bow and tripwire, going for the purple sharpshooter next. Haven't bought any of the green or blues yet besides the mandatory starters.

vivekTO

But how its nit pick , the shrubs are not moving which are at your height and entirely visible , while the grass can be easily overlooked. and i already said not entirely True!!

"laughable tradeoff" , i don't think i will use that word , although yeah it would have better if they have implemented something like UC4 atleast.

Ulong

I need help with something to know if I'm wasting time. Far north of free heap in the mountains, near the day 10 Vista, there is a
Ancient Ruins
that I can not figure out how to get into for the life of me. Is there something I'm missing, or will a story quest send me this way later?

MaKTaiL

I've been watching ChristopherOdd play this game on normal and I noticed he is getting way better mods for his weapons even early on. I'm playing in very hard and I am yet to find 35%+ mods for weapons and armor. He is also lading crazy shots and then I noticed why: I don't have aim assist at all. I'm kinda proud of myself now, hahaha. Some fights have been really tough but SO satisfying.

abundant

Is there any reason to buy the green and blue versions of the weapons? I'm just saving resources for the purple versions. I have the purple hunter bow and tripwire, going for the purple sharpshooter next. Haven't bought any of the green or blues yet besides the mandatory starters.

No. The Green is basically level 1, the Blue is level 2, and the Purple is level 3.

I'm six hours in before
going to the Proving.
Taking my time and enjoying this.
So the rope caster. How do you use it exactly? One shot to the target and that's it or am I taking a second shot at the ground? Having trouble completing its tutorial quest. Felt like I've been rope casting them but it says 0/3.

Man, what if Guerrilla made Weather a condition which affected your accuracy when firing your Bow. Imagine adjusting for Wind e.g. If firing into the wind depended upon the speed wind drag you had to be closer to be effective or firing cross wind you had to adjust for all that shit. But only on Hard or Very Hard. I can imagine people on fighting on Sunny days.

Without spoiling to much, what are vantage points? I am like 24 hours in and haven't come across anything by that name. Some sort of collectible?

Hjod

Banned
I was running around in Devils Thrist during the night, holy shit the HDR does wonders for this game, when the moon comes up the lighting gets surreal, I took some screens but the HDR doesn't work that way so I can't show anyone haha.

Without spoiling to much, what are vantage points? I am like 24 hours in and haven't come across anything by that name. Some sort of collectible?

Yes they are a collectible of sorts :).

You can buy maps from merchants so they show up on your map.

How do you get inside the Grave-Hoard? Aloy said something about it being frozen and there's no way to get in, but I'm not even sure what she's referring to. All I see is a bunch of rubble.

I've discovered five so far, and they are really neat. I recommend buying the map and trying to find some of them!

MaKTaiL

I'm six hours in before
going to the Proving.
Taking my time and enjoying this.
So the rope caster. How do you use it exactly? One shot to the target and that's it or am I taking a second shot at the ground? Having trouble completing its tutorial quest. Felt like I've been rope casting them but it says 0/3.
You must have the tutorial quest currently active for it to count. You don't need to shoot at the ground, only once on the enemy. You have to hit them from the sides too. It doesn't work when you shoot from the front.

MaKTaiL

I was running around in Devils Thrist during the night, holy shit the HDR does wonders for this game, when the moon comes up the lighting gets surreal, I took some screens but the HDR doesn't work that way so I can't show anyone haha.

Yes they are a collectible of sorts :).

You can buy maps from merchants so they show up on your map.
Can you try filming/taking a picture with your phone?

Found one last night. Not sure what they are yet
Are you sure you found one? Because it's pretty obvious what they are once you discover one for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom