• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Thread: Everyone wants it, no one uses it

G0523

What are the odds of Mortal Kombat (and to a much lesser extent, Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe) becoming BC?

Anything's a possibility. How has WB's track record with BC games been so far? Don't let MK vs. DC discourage you either. MK and DC games are owned by the same publisher.

jmdajr

Capcom gonna deliver today!

P8MxmGnjmytws.gif

Izuna

Banned
The lack of NG2 is really getting to me. We got all everyone else's "omg what if" games, but not the one that was published by MS...

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/865236045511745536

Three titles from Steins;Gate series (only published in Japan) are coming to Xbox One Backward Compatibility today mjr.mn/BackCompat

Yo that's actually pretty awesome! For anyone who doesn't know, Xbox One BC is region free so you can import the physical 360 discs and play them now!

Yeah, for those Japanese 360 owners who upgraded to XB1. About 250 of them who also brought that game.

DOWN

Banned
Or anyone who wants to play the games and doesn't want to dink around with a Japanese 360 now...

(Like me; I'm going to grab these on eBay right now)
Sorry but you know the number of people who played these in Japan and the number of people who will go out of their way to buy discs from Japan to try them now is so small. Like no way was this a good priority

Sorry but you know the number of people who played these in Japan and the number of people who will go out of their way to buy discs from Japan to try them now is so small. Like no way was this a good priority
And that's exactly the glorious part of BC to me. The fact that they are doing it for everyone

And stop with the "priority" stuff. There's been plenty of interviews about their process of making games BC. They don't test games in a vacuum where because they released steins;gate that means they didn't work on something else

Zeta Oni

Well that depends on your use of priority here.

They got region-locked games that maybe a percent of the total Xbox 360 audience ever heard of, much less played, and made it available to the world, now on a modern system.

That's the exact type of thing BC should be doing in my opinion.

And that's exactly the glorious part of BC to me. The fact that they are doing it for everyone

And stop with the "priority" stuff. There's been plenty of interviews about their process of making games BC. They don't test games in a vacuum where because they released steins;gate that means they didn't work on something else

Yeah this ^

yyr

Wait, hold on a second.

We know that Xbox One games are region-free, sure. But does BC make 360 games region-free? As in, can Japanese region-locked 360 games be played on any Xbox One?

Wait, hold on a second.

We know that Xbox One games are region-free, sure. But does BC make 360 games region-free? As in, can Japanese region-locked 360 games be played on any Xbox One?
Yes, physical version of Japanese discs can be played on any Xbox One as long as the title is BC. People tested it with CLANNAD which was released last year

The lack of NG2 is really getting to me. We got all everyone else's "omg what if" games, but not the one that was published by MS...
Speculation, I think the delay is down to either these:

1) they just haven't gotten to it yet. These things take time as we've seen.

2) Tecmo is very PlayStation oriented lately. Could be affecting their willingness to allow the game be BC

3) Team Ninja is still salty that Itagaki's ninja Gaiden games were the best they were involved in. The sigmas are trash and they may not want to validate itagaki

Source- my ass

Synth

Speculation, I think the delay is down to either these:

1) they just haven't gotten to it yet. These things take time as we've seen.

2) Tecmo is very PlayStation oriented lately. Could be affecting their willingness to allow the game be BC

3) Team Ninja is still salty that Itagaki's ninja Gaiden games were the best they were involved in. The sigmas are trash and they may not want to validate itagaki

Source- my ass

3 sounds most likely.

Hotsuma

Need Virtual On Force next! Some good Sega games are still missing, unless they're holding them to debut with the Game Pass subscription.

cuilan

So how are these games?

If you can read Japanese and enjoy visual novels, I'm sure you'll like them. The first game contains the real meat of the series story-wise, so start there if you're curious. If you end up loving it, then check out the 3rd game, and if that still leaves you wanting more then pick up the 2nd one.

Tapejara

If you can read Japanese and enjoy visual novels, I'm sure you'll like them. The first game contains the real meat of the series story-wise, so start there if you're curious. If you end up loving it, then check out the 3rd game, and if that still leaves you wanting more then pick up the 2nd one.

Is there a difference between these three games and the two that were recently localized (Steins;Gate/Steins;Gate 0?)

cuilan

Is there a difference between these three games and the two that were recently localized (Steins;Gate/Steins;Gate 0?)

Steins;Gate is the first game in the series and was originally 360-exclusive, while Steins;Gate 0 is a true sequel and it did not receive a 360 version. I don't think any of the other games besides those two have been localized yet. The other two games on 360 are Hiroyuki Renri no Darling (non-canon, light-hearted slice of life) and Senkei Kousoku no Phenogram (expands on the story of the first game).

Tapejara

Steins;Gate is the first game in the series and was originally 360-exclusive, while Steins;Gate 0 is a true sequel and it did not receive a 360 version. I don't think any of the other games besides those two have been localized yet. The other two games on 360 are Hiroyuki Renri no Darling (non-canon, light-hearted slice of life) and Senkei Kōsoku no Phenogram (expands on the story of the first game).

Ah, cool, thanks for the clarification!

Top Bottom