• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Does it have support for the 1st edition monsters/heroes? I had every 1st ed model and kept them using the 2E upgrade pack, haven't bought much 2E expansions

Sadly, no direct support. You'd have to cross reference which H&M packs you have figures and cards for. Problem would lie in the big box expansions. For example, if 1e had a Reanimate monster that you have via the Conversion Kit, you couldn't use it in the app because that would require you to add Mists of Bilehall to your collection (which means you would be lacking other monsters, items, tiles, etc).

It's disappointing really, but it is what it is.

Dreavus

Played Argent the Consortium with a new group the other night... and It took fucking forever! (I foresaw this coming when a 5th person joined halfway through explaining the rules). We initially agreed to end on round 4 but somewhere in round 3 everyone decided they wanted to play it out. Definitely more of a 3-4 player game just strictly looking at length and adding a 6th from the expansion is just not realistic in the slightest.

It's a cool game with a ton going on though, maybe too much. I think my takeaways are that spells which let you place mages are really strong, since you can combo them with purple and grey mages to play 3 guys on one turn, freeing you up to activate all your other items and stuff before people start trying to end the round. Another takeaway is that I think we were sleeping on the red mage power (knocking a worker out and taking his place). It turns out it's the only way to touch blue mages and blue ended up being popular picks in our game.

Also the spell upgrades are cool and all, but very few high level spells were even used. The mana costs can be very high and competing to accumulate the research to get them to that level is tough. It seemed people were using them as points for the voters rather than as actual spells to be used. I mean that's totally fine for the game, but it just seemed a bit weird.

Keasar

Anyone who has added their Millennium Blades Set Rotation cards to the core set, according to the instruction manual they have added some Erratad cards. They said that they are to replace existing cards. However, I noticed that some of the cards seem actually completely new and adds another card to some sets, like two Expansion card sets getting a 13th card (which are supposed to be 12 cards each).

How are these supposed to be handled?

Edit: Nevermind, it's actually mentioned right here. Just missed it in the rules. :p

zulux21

Seeing all the high praise about legendary aliens on this page makes me both happy and sad. happy knowing that i have a great game sitting on my shelf, and sad because i haven't made the time to play it yet. I love the movie Alien universe and really need to fit this game into my schedule.

Seeing that you think the firefly version is terrible makes me glad i found it in a dent n ding sale, thus I didn't pay full price for it.

I'm looking forward to the X-men expansion mainly because I really enjoy the characters in the set, especially since they look like their 1990's Animated Series versions. I feel the only appropriate thing to do is have the X-Men TAS theme song playing on loop whenever I set the game up to play.
if you are a huge fan of firefly you will likely still find enjoyment in legendary firefly. but it is a game that clearly puts theme above having fun. plus the art isn't that great.

joelseph

Geekway is officially less than 2 days away for the absolute best 4 days in gaming. Gonna try and win me so many play-to-win! Maybe bring me home some Wasteland Express!! Let's GO!

Chris R

Yo for real - Descent 2e with Road to Legend is slowly becoming my favorite gaming experience ever. Despite a bit of confusion every once in a while, it's just a ton of fun to play. With my collection being massive, it feels even more exciting every time I start a new quest.

That's all. :)

Damn I'll have to check a gameplay video on youtube out tonight I guess, I need something to play until later this year :(

Also talk makes me want to jump in on this game. How long is the base 2nde game with app? Is there a lot of meat there?
There is a tutorial campaign, a full campaign (Kindred Fire) and The Delve, which I Lind of describe as procedural Descent. So, a good amount I think.
How is AHCG with 4 players? Still good? I would hate for it to be too easy.
I have played solo through 4 player and never found any version particularly easier than the others. More players does allow more allies to buff a skill check, but it's rare IME that you have all your allies ready and willing to throw in on a skill check.
I have had 2e Descent forever with multiple unplayed expansions and I have never tried Road to Legend D:
You really should! Once they release an Imperial Assault version I'm going to be broke buying everything. A friend has a bunch of IA stuff but he's 3+ hours from me. Can't wait for the rare hangout for Star Wars!

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder where FFG will go next with Arkham Files. Eldritch is approaching the same number of expansions Arkham Horror got. It must be getting tapped out soon. Mansions of Madness 2E is ripe for more content. Would love to see campaign play added to the game.

I was thinking Arkham Horror the board game could maybe use a new edition, but we have the LCG which is amazing.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I wonder where FFG will go next with Arkham Files. Eldritch is approaching the same number of expansions Arkham Horror got. It must be getting tapped out soon. Mansions of Madness 2E is ripe for more content. Would love to see campaign play added to the game.

I was thinking Arkham Horror the board game could maybe use a new edition, but we have the LCG which is amazing.

The mythos is screaming for the Legacy treatment.

I am tempted to drop money on getting a new copy of Gears of War if I can find a reasonable price. Read it pays well solo and doesn't seem like there is anything exactly like it. Shame FFG lost the license.

Palmer_v1

Geekway is officially less than 2 days away for the absolute best 4 days in gaming. Gonna try and win me so many play-to-win! Maybe bring me home some Wasteland Express!! Let's GO!

Kinda my groups plan too. I will slap fight you! MEET ME SOMEWHERE

http://deadline.com/2017/05/jordan-peele-lovecraft-country-hbo-series-misha-green-1202095066/

I mean... it's not going to happen but we can hope.

joelseph

Kinda my groups plan too. I will slap fight you! MEET ME SOMEWHERE

You know it! I will be with a group of 8 dudes from Illinois. We should have table signs that have the Chicago flag and our Lighter Thieves logo on them. Once the con kicks off I will hit you up here.

My two hot games I am going to try and play the crap out of:

Roll Player
The Networks

Bringing Time Stories, Attack on Titans and Fury of Dracula for the trade table.

Experien

There is a tutorial campaign, a full campaign (Kindred Fire) and The Delve, which I Lind of describe as procedural Descent. So, a good amount I think.

To round out free shipping, what is the best ("necessary") expansions to Descent? Guess more so looking at monsters than more missions to keep size down. Thinkin the endless dungeon and some cool monsters would be the best bet.

Once they release an Imperial Assault version I'm going to be broke buying everything. A friend has a bunch of IA stuff but he's 3+ hours from me. Can't wait for the rare hangout for Star Wars!

I have all the IA expansions (except the big AT-ST, if the app launches with solo play, the game will be played by me so hard. No more waiting for 5 people to have the perfect schedule with time. Might take a day off of work to run through it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
To round out free shipping, what is the best ("necessary") expansions to Descent? Guess more so looking at monsters than more missions to keep size down. Thinkin the endless dungeon and some cool monsters would be the best bet.

I have all the IA expansions (except the big AT-ST, if the app launches with solo play, the game will be played by me so hard. No more waiting for 5 people to have the perfect schedule with time. Might take a day off of work to run through it.

If I were going to grab anything extra right off the bat, it would be either:

• Nerekhall because it adds an additional campaign (big box)
  • Labyrinth of Ruin adds my favorite class, the Apothecary (big box)
Either big box will give you the most new content, but Nerekhall is the superior "first expansion" because it adds an entirely new campaign to the app. But man do I love the Apothecary class!

You can also consider grabbing a Lieutenant you like to add a badass mini + potential new boss peril to the app.

E: Also, while I wouldn't suggest it right away, Chains that Rust adds Hybrid classes. Once you've played enough, these add a whole different way to approach a given campaign.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Either big box will give you the most new content, but Nerekhall is the superior "first expansion" because it adds an entirely new campaign to the app. But man do I love the Apothecary class!

You can also consider grabbing a Lieutenant you like to add a badass mini + potential new boss peril to the app.

E: Also, while I wouldn't suggest it right away, Chains that Rust adds Hybrid classes. Once you've played enough, these add a whole different way to approach a given campaign.

Cool. Nerekhall will be my next purchase too. Does the base game come with any lieutenants?

Palmer_v1

You know it! I will be with a group of 8 dudes from Illinois. We should have table signs that have the Chicago flag and our Lighter Thieves logo on them. Once the con kicks off I will hit you up here.

My two hot games I am going to try and play the crap out of:

Roll Player
The Networks

Bringing Time Stories, Attack on Titans and Fury of Dracula for the trade table.

People have been playing roll player locally and it seems fun. I have no real agenda myself, except introducing my brother to a bunch of stuff since he's new to all of this.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

I have played solo through 4 player and never found any version particularly easier than the others. More players does allow more allies to buff a skill check, but it's rare IME that you have all your allies ready and willing to throw in on a skill check.

You really should! Once they release an Imperial Assault version I'm going to be broke buying everything. A friend has a bunch of IA stuff but he's 3+ hours from me. Can't wait for the rare hangout for Star Wars!
Yeah I don't know if there's a consensus, but I'd actually say more players is generally more difficult. 4x the mythos cards for one, which can often be really painful. Heck with 4 you can't even lock down mythos phase with a scrying like you can with 2-3. We usually play it with 3, and I'd say that's the perfect amount though I think the game is technically balanced slightly more for 2 (as in that's sort of the default player count). What I like about 3 is you really feel like a team, having to make decisions about when to split and who's protecting whom, etc. Always getting worried when a Daisy teched only for support and investigation has to run off on her own for some reason. :p

Blizzard

Banned
I played Pandemic Legacy tonight with 2 friends. It was my first time ever trying a Pandemic game!

We ended up winning since we got some disease that meant we only had to cure like 3 of the 4 colors.

Lyng

So I have been searching for a very compact game that is small in size, yet very meaty in gameplay, and works well with two.
I love games like Jaipur and Star Realms, but I never really found a medium/heavy weight game in that size.
Until now that is. My wife and I played Oh my Goods yesterday. Man what a fantastic meaty euro. Each turn offers interesting decisions and the way production chains work, means you really have to carefully plan ahead. And even then it manages to give you a little push your luck element, which means the game never gets stale.
I have to add that we played with the new rules. The first rules actually turned the game into a clunky luckfest, but with the small tweaks in the new rules, it's a masterful design.

Highly recommend it

Blizzard

Banned
So I have been searching for a very compact game that is small in size, yet very meaty in gameplay, and works well with two.
I love games like Jaipur and Star Realms, but I never really found a medium/heavy weight game in that size.
Until now that is. My wife and I played Oh my Goods yesterday. Man what a fantastic meaty euro. Each turn offers interesting decisions and the way production chains work, means you really have to carefully plan ahead. And even then it manages to give you a little push your luck element, which means the game never gets stale.
I have to add that we played with the new rules. The first rules actually turned the game into a clunky luckfest, but with the small tweaks in the new rules, it's a masterful design.

Highly recommend it
7 Wonders Duel and Race for the Galaxy are two of my favorites for that sort of category. I'm quite intrigued by this game though. For $13 on Amazon I'll almost certainly grab it, so thanks for the recommendation.

Just one question, are these new rules in the box and in English? Searching around mentioned something about a 2nd edition, but the one on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ABN5NZC/?tag=neogaf0e-20) doesn't seem to mention the edition. *edit* I found the rules in PDF format so I can make do with those, but it'd be nice if they were in the box.

Keasar

Huh.

I think Meeple Reality accidentally sent me an extra Millennium Blades insert. I am checking my email and I am pretty certain I only ordered one which I got last week. Now I found at the post dispenser that I got another. Will have to check my bank when I get home if I've been charged twice.

Lyng

7 Wonders Duel and Race for the Galaxy are two of my favorites for that sort of category. I'm quite intrigued by this game though. For $13 on Amazon I'll almost certainly grab it, so thanks for the recommendation.

Just one question, are these new rules in the box and in English? Searching around mentioned something about a 2nd edition, but the one on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ABN5NZC/?tag=neogaf0e-20) doesn't seem to mention the edition. *edit* I found the rules in PDF format so I can make do with those, but it'd be nice if they were in the box.

They are in the new boxes, sadly I apparently didnt get that so I just got them in pdf

XShagrath

I just grabbed Oh My Goods! from Amazon this week, and it came with English rules. I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet though.

I'm really hoping they bring the expansion stateside soon, as it adds a campaign to it that is very highly regarded.

Experien

Any preferences on the character packs, like the Hero & Villain packs? Was looking at Bonds of the Wild and/or Crusade of the Forgotten.

Mr E.

Highly recommend it

Isle of Trains sounds right up your Alley. It was conceived in a compitition whereby the game had to be within a 54 card deck. It won that and its great.

Highly recommend it

Have you tried any of the Tiny games, like Tiny Western, and such. They are compact but actually very meaty games.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Any preferences on the character packs, like the Hero & Villain packs? Was looking at Bonds of the Wild and/or Crusade of the Forgotten.

That's a tough one. It depends on what sort of monsters you want to fight. If you have any expansions that add conditions, Guardians of Deephall is amazing. Dark Priests are terrifying when you have a lot of conditions to work against you (seriously - you can fuck yourself hard with a combination of conditions). Wendigos are scary motherfuckers with their Savage ability (can attack twice in one turn, not normally allowed by monsters), and Crypt Dragons are dragons (which are always menacing to spawn).

But of the two you mentioned, Crusade of the Forgotten adds cooler monsters than Bonds of the Wild (IMHO). But swarming Kobolds and Riposte on Deep Elves from Bonds of the Wild can be a real bummer town. So I mean, it's hard. It's 100% personal preference.

That said! I would probably say Crusade of the Forgotten if for no other reason than the monsters are cool looking. Golems are tanks, Sorcerers are powerful, and Medusae operate similarly to Dark Priests with their conditions.

I don't look much into the heroes that a given expansion includes. I mean, yeah, I own them all...But when I play, because I have SUCH a huge pool to choose from, I randomly select one and go with it. I would go solely off the included monsters. Of course, I can't discount Elder Mok from Oath of the Outcast with his hero ability allowing him to heal himself when someone else is healed, or Andira Runehand from Crusade of the Forgotten and her hero ability that forces enemies to take 1 damage when they deal damage to a hero within 3 spaces of you...

OK - here's my tl;dr:

IF you're going to take my suggestion, grab Crusade of the Forgotten first. After that, people tend to love Oath of the Outcast. So that would be my buy order.

Just returned from a holiday with some friends - we all play board games, though not as regularly as we might like :) I brought two games with me to play while we were there - Cosmic Encounter and 7 Wonders. None of us had played these games before, though I'd looked CE up ahead of time (and was why I bought it) and 7W was bought for me at Xmas.

Had an absolute blast playing Cosmic Encounter. I think the other three people were a little intimidated at first by all the rules and pieces, but it didn't take too long to pick up. We played a lot of this over the holiday, and we're sorting a meetup soon to play some more (and I'll probably grab the first expansion to see what this reward deck is all about).

Before playing it, I thought 7 Wonders was going to be the 'safer' of the two games, but to my surprise we were all pretty lukewarm on it. It's not like it doesn't play well or isn't fun, but for a group who only played it a handful of times, it was quite hard to tell if we were 'playing it right'. One of our group mentioned that the reason they didn't like it as much as CE was because "I don't really feel like there's much of a narrative in anything I'm doing".

Kinda curious to ask folks here who play 7 Wonders regularly - is there an expansion I should be looking at, or maybe a variant that might make it go down better, or does it just seem like it's not to our tastes? Would also appreciate any game recs if you happen to have them - besides CE we've played a lot of Pandemic, Ticket to Ride, Catan and TIME Stories. Thanks!

Neverfade

Picked up Maskmen, Startups, Kobayakawa, Fuji Flush, and Exit! The Abandoned Cabin.

Need some lighter fare in my collection. Hope some of these stick.

So, randomly today I found a fanmade AI version of IA that's pretty good for solo or full co-op play. Redjak's Automated Imperial Variant. I played it earlier to day with some friends, and it's fairly similar to Road to Legend, kind of. Sort of.

1. Instead of the Imperial player earning Influence to play cards, there is an event deck that sort of buffs Imperial Units. The deck gets easier if you keep losing and harder if you keep winning missions, so it stays relevant over time.

2. Enemy have a set of AI cards that is basically a top-down chart. Are they are smart as if a player was controlling them? Obviously not, but it works well enough that one of our players got Wounded and we were close to losing the first mission.

3. Threat management is handled by a similar "if then" system, which in execution works well enough.

It's totally worth a shot if you're aching to play Imperial Assault like I have been. It's no Road to Legend, but given it's not an actual software "AI" it functions pretty well.

Only downside is that the person working on it has stopped to focus efforts on original games. It only has three of the "big box" expansions, and is missing a handful of the ally packs. Still, thought you might be interested.

Going back to Onirim and trying out the expansions. Just set up the The Book of Steps Lost and Found. Goddamn, this looks like Onirim on god hard mode with much smaller chance of success.

sasimirobot

One of our group mentioned that the reason they didn't like it as much as CE was because "I don't really feel like there's much of a narrative in anything I'm doing".

Kinda curious to ask folks here who play 7 Wonders regularly - is there an expansion I should be looking at, or maybe a variant that might make it go down better, or does it just seem like it's not to our tastes?

I feel like Leaders is must have expansion for 7 wonders, followed closely by cities, but adding both makes the game really shine. I do understand that the game can sometimes make people feel like nothing they do matters, especially when you just have a few games under your belt. I still occasionally get the feeling that I just don't "get" the game perfectly, because I have taught it to many people and a few weeks later I always lose.

But there must be something to a winning strat, because its the usual suspects at game night that dominate.

My advice, don't toss it aside until you have played at least a few more games with different wonders and expansions with the same group. Give the meta a chance to evolve naturally...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Just returned from a holiday with some friends - we all play board games, though not as regularly as we might like :) I brought two games with me to play while we were there - Cosmic Encounter and 7 Wonders. None of us had played these games before, though I'd looked CE up ahead of time (and was why I bought it) and 7W was bought for me at Xmas.

Had an absolute blast playing Cosmic Encounter. I think the other three people were a little intimidated at first by all the rules and pieces, but it didn't take too long to pick up. We played a lot of this over the holiday, and we're sorting a meetup soon to play some more (and I'll probably grab the first expansion to see what this reward deck is all about).

Before playing it, I thought 7 Wonders was going to be the 'safer' of the two games, but to my surprise we were all pretty lukewarm on it. It's not like it doesn't play well or isn't fun, but for a group who only played it a handful of times, it was quite hard to tell if we were 'playing it right'. One of our group mentioned that the reason they didn't like it as much as CE was because "I don't really feel like there's much of a narrative in anything I'm doing".

Kinda curious to ask folks here who play 7 Wonders regularly - is there an expansion I should be looking at, or maybe a variant that might make it go down better, or does it just seem like it's not to our tastes? Would also appreciate any game recs if you happen to have them - besides CE we've played a lot of Pandemic, Ticket to Ride, Catan and TIME Stories. Thanks!

I'm guessing 7W is not for you if you're looking for really ameritrashy stuff like Cosmic Encounter and TIME Stories, or for narratives to sort of naturally flow out of your games like they might in the three Euros you cited. 7W is really much more abstract than those and doesn't really lend itself to just creating interesting narratives in any way. The expansions are amazing imo, but they don't really add on any story or procedural narrative or w/e -- just more choices.

If anyone is going to be at ConCarolinas in Charlotte on June 3rd or 4th, I'll be running Twilight Imperium games (using the Shattered Ascension modifications) both days starting at 9am. Feel free to stop by.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Gonna try Arkham Horror LCG tonight with 3. Knowing us we might make it all the way through the core box tonight lol

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Finished the Blood on the Altar mythos pack.

didn't do very well.. I had to resign since both of my investigators were on the verge of death and were too weak to deal with Silas or any more monsters

I was wondering if you are in the same location with Silas, can you move and investigate without being attacked?

fenners

Tonight was an oldie but a goodie that's largely forgotten - Manifest Destiny.

It's an old school GMT "card driven boardgame" before that moniker really meant things like Twilight Struggle. It's much more like Age of Renaissance. Expand over the map of North America, build technologies, attack other people's territories, play cards that break the rules in your favour.

It's old school. It's probably old fashioned. But damn it's good fun every time we play it, every five or six years. ;) Likely going to try to play it again sooner, with a refresher of rules, because we had fun.

lYd6bhZ.jpg

Played at the new fancy "gamer bar" here in Austin. Lots of mood lighting, fancy mcguffins on the tables, nice decor, but it's clearly not for us who play deeper/bigger games. They want couples or double-dates to play social/lighter games & buy some food & froo-froo drinks. My food order was awful. We got warned that might get told to move from our six seating table because there was only three of us if a big group came in.

At the end of the same strip is my favourite bar in town - a co-op brewpub with big long tables that we've never had grief over using, a good food menu, and great beer....

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Finished the Blood on the Altar mythos pack.

didn't do very well.. I had to resign since both of my investigators were on the verge of death and were too weak to deal with Silas or any more monsters

I was wondering if you are in the same location with Silas, can you move and investigate without being attacked?
Yeah because his card text specifically says he doesn't make aous. That was how we did it -- Daisy sneaking in and out, but we did have lots of investigate buffs.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah because his card text specifically says he doesn't make aous. That was how we did it -- Daisy sneaking in and out, but we did have lots of investigate buffs.

Nice! I'm looking forward to playing through Dunwich again already. The two decks I made months ago needs a lot of tweaking. Also Rex's weakness is a pain in the ass!

Edit:
also I Milan Christopher was kidnapped and sacrificed :(

Top Bottom