• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zocano

Oh, the abzan tokens deck looks super fun.

I kept trying to look over ways to make a BG sac deck with Rhonas + Bontu using the eldrazi scions to help fill the board but the cards weren't quite there. That abzan list seems much better at doing what I wanted to make.

Daedardus

haste heart of kiran, seems like the commentators didn't catch it either. Didn't use energy for aether hub before that (not on cam) according to the stream chat, and there was another misuse of energy in that match

Oh yeah, I didn't know what the spell was he was casting, thought it was something that let him do that. Especially since the commentators said it was a nice trick.

El Topo

Oh it is, I'm just saying you get inured to seeing dumb shit happen around Heart of Kiran and sort of stop paying attention to it.

Absolutely. I'm not judging him. Playing on camera is probably extremely stressful, not to mention we are more likely to notice mistakes that harm us than those that benefit us.

bigkrev

I'll cut 2 thoughcasts, go down to... 16 lands total? and that'll give me room for 4 drums and 2 etched champions

I want to mess with the standard shell a bit but I feel like the deck is basically "solved" and there's no real wiggle room for flavor or personal enjoyment

I hate not running 17 lands. 4 Blinkmoth/Inkmoth/citadel/Glimmervoid (I don't have Spires yet), and 1 basic dictated by my colored spells. If you are running Thoughtcast and Master, it should probably be an island?

ChazAshley

Gold Member
Has there been discussion here about what potentially the vanilla mythic could be? Knowing how Maro answers certain questions at certain times, his tumblr recently has been showing questions about the mythic and switching power and toughness. Potential 0/20?? Has there been any other thoughts??

Repgnar

R/G Pummeler having success is pretty cool to see. Swinging as 80/80 with trample and a way to give that creature hexproof seems so satisfying.

Santiako

Get ready for 15 more months of Marvel, as wotc uses these results to keep it around:

GP Manila Top 8 Decks

Qi Wentao (Esper Vehicles)
Ryoichi Tamada (White-Blue Flash) -WINNER-
Cholo Pascual (Mardu Blue)
Mark Anthony Biala (Mono Black Zombies)
Imman Van Valerio (Temur Aetherworks)
Wee Pang Ming (Red-Green Pummeler)
Rei Anthony Coo (Black-Green Constrictor)
Dustan Tauli (Mardu Vehicles)

GP Amsterdam Top 8 Decks

Lukas Blohon (Black-Green Delirium)
Thomas Hendriks (Black-Green Delirium)
Raphael Coors (Black-Green Energy)
Alexander Mertins (Black-Green Energy)
Jelco Bodewes (Temur Aetherworks Marvel)
Micheal Maurici (Esper Vehicles)
Arjan van Leeuwen (Red-Green Pummeler)
Benjamin Luft (Blue-Red Control)

Repgnar

Are results not a good indicator? Is everyone's argument that it's just not fun to play against and too random? I mean if you're looking at those numbers than I don't have a hard time believing people are going to move away from Marvel to other stuff that performed more reliably after this weekend.

bigkrev

Attendance, not T8 is what to look at. GP Manila in 2015 had 1400 players, this year, it had 750.

The last 5 Standard GPS have averaged under 1K players, the modern ones in that window have done over 2K

Attendance, not T8 is what to look at. GP Manila in 2015 had 1400 players, this year, it had 750.

The last 5 Standard GPS have averaged under 1K players, the modern ones in that window have done over 2K

While the answer is still probably "ban Marvel", a way Wizards could interpret that is that players are seeking stability and will come back if there isn't a ban for a while.

traveler

Not Wario
Is it just me or is marvel kind of on the outs online? I'm running into way more energy aggro decks of all flavors than marvel now.

Apparently the paper magic meta is starting to lineup with the mtgo one. I knew it seemed like there was a real downtick in marvel decks. I'm going to need to adjust the reanimator list pretty heavily for this. Vehicles lists backed by counter spells are a real problem but the energy lists are more beatable.

Get ready for 15 more months of Marvel, as wotc uses these results to keep it around:

GP Manila Top 8 Decks

Qi Wentao (Esper Vehicles)
Ryoichi Tamada (White-Blue Flash) -WINNER-
Cholo Pascual (Mardu Blue)
Mark Anthony Biala (Mono Black Zombies)
Imman Van Valerio (Temur Aetherworks)
Wee Pang Ming (Red-Green Pummeler)
Rei Anthony Coo (Black-Green Constrictor)
Dustan Tauli (Mardu Vehicles)

GP Amsterdam Top 8 Decks

Lukas Blohon (Black-Green Delirium)
Thomas Hendriks (Black-Green Delirium)
Raphael Coors (Black-Green Energy)
Alexander Mertins (Black-Green Energy)
Jelco Bodewes (Temur Aetherworks Marvel)
Micheal Maurici (Esper Vehicles)
Arjan van Leeuwen (Red-Green Pummeler)
Benjamin Luft (Blue-Red Control)

Santiako

Apparently the paper magic meta is starting to lineup with the mtgo one. I knew it seemed like there was a real downtick in marvel decks. I'm going to need to adjust the reanimator list pretty heavily for this. Vehicles lists backed by counter spells are a real problem but the energy lists are more beatable.

GP Amsterdam day 2 was 40% marvel. That is definitely not a downtick. The top 8 paints a warped picture.

Repgnar

With R/G pummeler showing up in the top 8 will we see some of those cards go up in price? I've mostly stuck to just doing amonkhet draft/sealed and haven't really jumped into any other formats. Thinking about diving into standard for some FNM's with R/G pummeler. That deck looks pretty fun and relatively cheap.

Tunoku

Ended my first GP with 29 match points, so 9-4-2. One point short of getting a pro point. I didn't even expect to day 2, but it's still a little frustrating.

Today:

BG Energy 1-2
Mardu Vehicles 1-2
Temur Energy 1-2
Temur Marvel 1-1-1
Ninja Bye 2-0
Temur Marvel 2-0

I'm so exhausted and kinda bummed out that I didn't have a lot of time to explore the city. It's so beautiful here.

Big Mama Ish and her kids buying time for Blohon to top deck the transgress to take a disallow to ult Nissa to end the game? What a filthy sequence.

It's cute how excited Reid Duke gets about magic

Good GP run Tuno! That's a lot of magic to be playing. I'm sorry you first GP had to be in this standard, but I hope you had fun! If do another GP, I recommend a team one of you can manage. It's the absolute most fun way to play.

Santiako

Coverage swapped to GP Omaha https://www.twitch.tv/magic

Ended my first GP with 29 match points, so 9-4-2. One point short of getting a pro point. I didn't even expect to day 2, but it's still a little frustrating.

Today:

BG Energy 1-2
Mardu Vehicles 1-2
Temur Energy 1-2
Temur Marvel 1-1-1
Ninja Bye 2-0
Temur Marvel 2-0

I'm so exhausted and kinda bummed out that I didn't have a lot of time to explore the city. It's so beautiful here.

That's a really good result, well done mate.

I had a feeling BG would make a comeback.

Last time it eventually got hated out by the RG midrange variant that got Emmy banned.

Bad news for UR control. Ishkanah is such a beating.

Tunoku

I really should have, Violet. But I can't change my flight and this air bnb is expensive as fuck. But I'm sure there'll be a next time. I feel like there's a Netherlands GP twice a year these days.

Managed to get some sick tokens from rk post:

8Z7tacj.jpg

Violet_0

Banned
I really should have, Violet. But I can't change my flight and this air bnb is expensive as fuck.

if you don't need to sleep super comfortably, book a hostel bed for the days after the tournament next time. Anyways, you did really well all things considered, too bad about missing that pro point

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean, they should just ban Ulamog if they want to keep Marvel around. Bolas isn't nearly as strong as Ulamog and plays fair.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
lmao @ Brad Nelson trolling commentary by continuing to insist he hit Ulamog on this Marvel activation when he didn't and everyone in chat is asking "WTF is he slow rolling his opponent"

and then he punts his way to 2 life and hits Ulamog and wins anyways. Seems fun.

Angry Grimace

I think Reid Duke just realized he wasn't supposed to mention that there's 800 players at GP Omaha when there is normally 1,200.

Also the Top 8 has 6 Marvel decks.

Santiako

Wow, Omaha is already the last Amonkhet Standard Grand Prix before the release of Hour of Devastation. It feels like it was just released.

Violet_0

Banned
Marvel isn't gonna get banned until BfZ rotates out. If it's still the deck to beat after Ulamog is gone, then they might consider doing something about it, but until then it's just bad business banning yet another card again. It's not completely dominating the GP top ranks so they'll figure they can risk having it around for another couple months
Wow, Omaha is already the last Amonkhet Standard Grand Prix before the release of Hour of Devastation. It feels like it was just released.
well, Amonkhet didn't exactly have a strong showing in standard so far :p

I think Reid Duke just realized he wasn't supposed to mention that there's 800 players at GP Omaha when there is normally 1,200.

Also the Top 8 has 6 Marvel decks.

Not much way to dance around it with the way the Top 8 all went into negotiated draws mode and left them casting go-nowhere games for an hour.

If the Wizards don't like it they can fix the format, talent can only spit-shine so hard.

Santiako

Marvel isn't gonna get banned until BfZ rotates out. If it's still the deck to beat after Ulamog is gone, then they might consider doing something about it, but until then it's just bad business banning yet another card again. It's not completely dominating the GP top ranks so they'll figure they can risk having it around for another couple months

well, Amonkhet didn't exactly have a strong showing in standard so far :p

Isn't it?

GP Amsterdam Top 32 Metagame Breakdown:

16 Temur Aetherworks Marvel (50%)
4 BG Energy
3 UR Control
2 BG Delirium
2 4-Color Vehicles
1 Esper Vehicles
1 RG Pummeler
1 Temur Energy
1 Mono B Zombies