• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

traveler

Not Wario
This might be viewed as escalation by your playgroup and it'll definitely attract more hate, but Sisay would actually be the best commander for such a theme. You could run both the white and green land and pull out your party one by one using the commander. As long as you make it clear it's not a cutthroat stacks/taxes deck, I'd think it'd be alright.

I've looked into an All Legend deck a bit before, but not for EDH. Definitely seems kinda neat :) I did build a Banding one, however. It's honestly a pretty powerful mechanic.

135.jpg

This might be viewed as escalation by your playgroup and it'll definitely attract more hate, but Sisay would actually be the best commander for such a theme. You could run both the white and green land and pull out your party one by one using the commander. As long as you make it clear it's not a cutthroat stacks/taxes deck, I'd think it'd be alright.
True but I really want a silly deck and Sisay gives me access to way too many powerful legend.

Bandini

SOI block is sooo good. Wish it was Kaldesh block that fucked off instead aswell.

Yep, it's a shame it kind of got overlooked as a whole because of Avacyn, Emrakul, Ishkanah, lottery cards, and people feeling burned after BFZ block. Really solid block, some of my favorite recent cards in there.

Edit: just pulled a Celestial Colonnade in a chest! That pays for the last Fulminator Mage I needed. BW Eldrazi continues to be a lot of fun. Kalitas is really impressing me in grindy creature matchups,

Ashodin

Man I got 3-1 at FNM due to that crazy low to the ground red deck posted yesterday. It just swept me up before I could gain enough life. No Aether Hub for me this week.

Marvel got out WURMSSSSSS and stuff. Guess I'll SB in more boardwipe.

Yep, it's a shame it kind of got overlooked as a whole because of Avacyn, Emrakul, Ishkanah, lottery cards, and people feeling burned after BFZ block. Really solid block, some of my favorite recent cards in there.

Edit: just pulled a Celestial Colonnade in a chest! That pays for the last Fulminator Mage I needed. BW Eldrazi continues to be a lot of fun. Kalitas is really impressing me in grindy creature matchups,
I mean, let's compare the banlists:
SoI gave us Emrakul, who was only ever really a major issue in Marvel where he was hitting the board turn 4.

Kaladesh gave us Smuggler's Copter, Felidar Guardian, and Marvel, not to mention the possible offenders

SoI block had the following problem-but-not-banworthy cards: Avacyn, Spell Queller,Prized Amalgam.. I think that's it?

Kaladesh gave us Vehicles (as a whole), Heart of Kiran, Etc.

Best mechanic from each block worked well with each other (Investigate and Improvise), which the worst mechanics were relegated to Draft Trash(Fabricate and Skulk)

Yeef

Got a Stifle invocation pack 1, pick 1 in draft tonight. Drafted a solid WB zombies deck and won all my games. Good times.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
SoI gave us Emrakul, who was only ever really a major issue in Marvel where he was hitting the board turn 4.

Kaladesh gave us Smuggler's Copter, Felidar Guardian, and Marvel, not to mention the possible offenders

SoI block had the following problem-but-not-banworthy cards: Avacyn, Spell Queller,Prized Amalgam.. I think that's it?

Best mechanic from each block worked well with each other (Investigate and Improvise), which the worst mechanics were relegated to Draft Trash(Fabricate and Skulk)
Fabricate was a great mechanic. All the cards that had it were playable other than that one 7 drop artifact.

ironmang

So how many copies of Marvel are we going to see in top 8s across all 3 GPs this weekend? I'm going to go with 16/24 spots.

Marvel is 66% this weekend or higher I think.

Fabricate was a great mechanic. All the cards that had it were playable other than that one 7 drop artifact.
Except it really wasn't. The only option that really made sense was make more dudes. You never would cast Sigorney Weaver Aliens-2 and choose to make her buff, you'd just give her 2 more space Marines to swing with.

Tunoku

I did a couple of GPTs at the Amsterdam GP yesterday. First one was single elim, I won against Zombies and lost against and Esper. Second one was swiss and I went 2-2 playing again 3 Marvel mirrors and one UR control. I have seen some Eldrazi Marvel lists running around with main deck Thought Knot Seer and sideboard Reality Smashers.

I did a couple of GPTs at the Amsterdam GP yesterday. First one was single elim, I won against Zombies and lost against and Esper. Second one was swiss and I went 2-2 playing again 3 Marvel mirrors and one UR control. I have seen some Eldrazi Marvel lists running around with main deck Thought Knot Seer and sideboard Reality Smashers.
Toi, toi, toi

traveler

Not Wario
Is it just me or is marvel kind of on the outs online? I'm running into way more energy aggro decks of all flavors than marvel now.

Firemind

Lost to u/w spirits lol

Killed a few but they always keep coming back with hexproof, indestructible and blink.

Should have played the 3rd sweltering suns, vogel.

Zocano

The last bit of my ordered cards didn't come in quite yet so I couldn't go modern at my LGS for FNM. And I've done several sealed there already and sealed Amonkhet is kind of a drag. Hopefully HOD spices it up enough but I imagine it'll still just be mostly whoever can exert the most the earliest.

Violet_0

Banned
all this legendaries talk makes me wish for another Kamigawa block
a return to Lorwyn would also be cool, because Lorwyn is the best
unfortunately they just happen to be the least popular blocks (at that time, anyway)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Emrakul was a problem whether paired with marvel or not. And fabricate was not trash in draft. Comparing it to shulk is ridiculous.

Tunoku is 3-0 so far.
Emrakul was a problem whether paired with marvel or not. And fabricate was not trash in draft. Comparing it to shulk is ridiculous.
Agreed. Traverse for Emrakul was miserable, regrow Emrakul in no way better.
Improvise is the skulk of Kaladesh. Even when you got there in draft it wasn't that good.
all this legendaries talk makes me wish for another Kamigawa block
a return to Lorwyn would also be cool, because Lorwyn is the best
unfortunately they just happen to be the least popular blocks (at that time, anyway)
Same

Violet_0

Banned

fabricate is just an extremely boring mechanic that doesn't even really warrant it's own key word. Could have just made it a small cycle in the set. And none of the fabricate cards were playable in standard

Tunoku

Lost against Tiu in the feature match area. It was a fun experience, but I got destroyed. And mostly I'm angry about my bad block in game 2, despite tiu having the negate in hand for my marvel.

3-1

GPs are dope!

I could see a return to Kamigawa because the main reason it was unpopular was because it was ridiculously under-tuned mechanically, rather than a terrible setting.

That said, I believe charlequin pointed out the obvious before: from a business perspective there's not much reason they would risk the negative association when they could just create a completely new Japanaese fantasy themed plane. They would only really be missing out on a chance to "update" the characters of Kamigawa (ala Avacyn or Kalitas), and I'm not sure there's really many of them that people want to see new versions of that badly.

I mean, I would love it, but I accept I'm in the minority when it comes to people who want to see new versions of Eight-and-a-Half-Tails or the Brothers Yamazaki.

I could see a return to Kamigawa because the main reason it was unpopular was because it was ridiculously under-tuned mechanically, rather than a terrible setting.

That said, I believe charlequin pointed out the obvious before: from a business perspective there's not much reason they would risk the negative association when they could just create a completely new Japanaese fantasy themed plane. They would only really be missing out on a chance to "update" the characters of Kamigawa (ala Avacyn or Kalitas), and I'm not sure there's really many of them that people want to see new versions of that badly.

I mean, I would love it, but I accept I'm in the minority when it comes to people who want to see new versions of Eight-and-a-Half-Tails or the Brothers Yamazaki.
This is what MaRo has to say on this issue.
MaRo said:
I can't with a good conscience go to my bosses and say, of every option available to us, I recommend the world that was critically and financially one of most problematic worlds we've ever done.

Not sure how to feel about making a new japanese themed plane, WotC doesn't go all in on them anymore. Amonkhet already has a much lighter egyptian feel to me than Khans had one of central and east asian.
Compared to OG Kamigawa it could just end up feeling fake.

kirblar

Khans is unique in that it was grabbing 5 cultures, most of which probably weren't deep enough in the public consciousness to have their own plane.

Firemind

Err, yeah, had my first real go against Marvel and there's really no good way to answer it since it's not a true combo deck. It can just grind you out with Tireless Trackers, Gearhulks and late game Emrakuls. Marvel just lets you cheat on mana AND gain value. So I said fuck it and dropped at 2-2 lol. I learned the cut off point for nationals was last month so there wasn't really any point in playing further. Low turnout though which surprised me. Just over a 1,000 players.

Used my vouchers on chaos draft and the pod got great sets such as Coldsnap, Saviors of Kamigawa, Nemesis, Darksteel and Dragon's Maze. Totally not worth €32 come on organizers lol

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So,

I own a board game company and have never actually played MTG or really any CCG/LCG format before. Mostly because I didn't want to go down that rabbit hole and my friends group has never really been into it.

I've decided since I own a board game company that this is stupid, so I started playing Magic Duels to figure out the gist of the game, and it isn't particularly difficult (though, I imagine my issue is I don't recognize different deck strategies so I keep walking into obvious traps that someone who has played more would recognize).

My question is, how do I get into playing physical MTG without friends who are into it?

Like, if I bought a planeswalker deck and the deck builders toolkit and looked up a kind of ok beginner deck and walked into Friday Night Magic and just got destroyed and messed up a ton, what would the reaction be? Like, I'm sure I am going to suck for months, and I have no real idea how cleanup and tracking works when the game isn't doing it for me.

Will I piss people off or are they used to newbs showing up and being an easy win?

Santiako

Lost against Tiu in the feature match area. It was a fun experience, but I got destroyed. And mostly I'm angry about my bad block in game 2, despite tiu having the negate in hand for my marvel.

3-1

GPs are dope!

How are you doing now?

Err, yeah, had my first real go against Marvel and there's really no good way to answer it since it's not a true combo deck. It can just grind you out with Tireless Trackers, Gearhulks and late game Emrakuls. Marvel just lets you cheat on mana AND gain value. So I said fuck it and dropped at 2-2 lol. I learned the cut off point for nationals was last month so there wasn't really any point in playing further. Low turnout though which surprised me. Just over a 1,000 players.

Used my vouchers on chaos draft and the pod got great sets such as Coldsnap, Saviors of Kamigawa, Nemesis, Darksteel and Dragon's Maze. Totally not worth €32 come on organizers lol

I love chaos drafts! But it sucks when you get to open the Saviours/8E/Dragon's Maze. Last one i did at GP London I got to open MM1/New Phyrexia/Worldwake and it was awesome.

So,

I own a board game company and have never actually played MTG or really any CCG/LCG format before. Mostly because I didn't want to go down that rabbit hole and my friends group has never really been into it.

I've decided since I own a board game company that this is stupid, so I started playing Magic Duels to figure out the gist of the game, and it isn't particularly difficult (though, I imagine my issue is I don't recognize different deck strategies so I keep walking into obvious traps that someone who has played more would recognize).

My question is, how do I get into playing physical MTG without friends who are into it?

Like, if I bought a planeswalker deck and the deck builders toolkit and looked up a kind of ok beginner deck and walked into Friday Night Magic and just got destroyed and messed up a ton, what would the reaction be? Like, I'm sure I am going to suck for months, and I have no real idea how cleanup and tracking works when the game isn't doing it for me.

Will I piss people off or are they used to newbs showing up and being an easy win?

It really depends on your store. Some people will be really friendly to beginners, and others will be jerks. I recommend getting a feel for the store by first going to a draft or prerelease event, where everyone will be on more even footing, since you're all making decks from scratch out of a semi-random set of cards there. Drafts are typically held Friday night alongside Standard (preconstructed deck) events, and the next prerelease is on July 8.

If you're intimidated by playing the game without the computer doing things for you, maybe check out some gameplay videos, such as the Spellslingers series. Watch the videos titled "Day[9] Battles ___".

kirblar

So,

Competitive players love having easy wins. :p

You'll be fine, everyone was a noob once!

Santiako

I'm 5-1-1 now, got two win and ins. Played the mirror 5 times. I don't know if I'm exhausted. Probably.

Nice one. Good luck!

So,

I think most stores are used to some new people, but if you want to make sure, go to a prerelease first (July 9th weekend), those are usually full of new people and the whole thing is very relaxed.

So,

I would scout multiple game stores that offer magic events and see how your experience differs. Different shops cater to different types of people, I've found. What geographic area are you in?

I would start with commander magic as your go to. Then, you can get addicted to drafting / sealed events, and once you've played for a while, maybe try standard. If you lose horribly people will be thankful for the free win in a tournament setting. Commander groups are more inclined to help. When you meet a magic player that you really like, hold on to them.

I'm a veteran since '94 though so I may be skipping over some key steps. It has been a very long time now since I learned this game.

Ashodin

But that's stupid, though.
I don't pick the codes! WotC are weird like that.

In terms of LGS stooge, most are very welcoming of newbies. Just be honest about your level of skill and play experience and people will be helpful (likely there will be an l1 judge there to help).

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So,

Echoing others I would consider doing Drafts as well. It is skill intensive in one way (evaluating cards is something you have to learn) but its also much lower stakes feeling over all, $15 a pop and people are generally having fun

There's a small LGBT pride parade outside my LGS.
Pretty awesome.
So,

there's sometimes beginners only events held at game stores but people usually aren't angry when facing budget and beginner decks at FNM.

If you're looking for cheap decks there's subreddit and a content creator putting out new articles and videos on a weekly basis.

Sigma also put a section for starters into the first post.

Tunoku

Yay, won my sixth mirror of the day to lock day 2 with Marvel. Record is 6-1-1. One more round to go, but I don't really care anymore.

Santiako

Yay, won my sixth mirror of the day to lock day 2 with Marvel. Record is 6-1-1. One more round to go, but I don't really care anymore.

That sounds like a nightmare, but well done mate. Crush it tomorrow and get some monay.

EDIT: I was looking at GP Manila's page and saw this guy:

That's some baller-ass Bolas cosplay. Really well done.

ironmang

Competitive players love having easy wins. :p

You'll be fine, everyone was a noob once!

My friends and I joke around that any time we sit down for a round at a GP or Open and our opponent says "this is my first big event" our thoughts are usually "well, I'm about to get stomped".

But yeah, drafts are great and one of the best ways to get a feel for the game without having to invest time and money building a deck. Plus it helps build a collection since you're opening packs you open and then packs you win. It's what I did exclusively for over a year when I came back to the game like 8 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom