• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My question is, how do I get into playing physical MTG without friends who are into it?

Especially coming from board games, I'd strongly recommend getting started with one of the largely prepackaged casual multiplayer products. There's one coming out in just a couple weeks called "Archenemy: Nicol Bolas," which is sixty bucks for four decks (plus special supplemental cards) that you can play in a 3-vs-1 arrangement right out of the box; there's also a couple other similar sets published in the past, and each year a set of "Commander" decks for the most popular casual multiplayer format. Get started with one of these and learn the rules and gameplay that way; if you want to get into more competitive play afterwards, there's plenty of options there.

Alternately, if you don't have a group of pliable friends to drag in on one of these, I'd second the recommendation to play limited (sealed deck or draft) which will let you play without having to have any collection to start with. With every new set they have a tournament called a "prerelease" where people play sealed deck with that new set, and these are always fairly beginner-centric. There's one of these on July 8-9, if that piques your interest.

Repgnar

My question is, how do I get into playing physical MTG without friends who are into it?

Like, if I bought a planeswalker deck and the deck builders toolkit and looked up a kind of ok beginner deck and walked into Friday Night Magic and just got destroyed and messed up a ton, what would the reaction be? Like, I'm sure I am going to suck for months, and I have no real idea how cleanup and tracking works when the game isn't doing it for me.

Will I piss people off or are they used to newbs showing up and being an easy win?

I got into Magic about a month or two ago. I would recommend looking for game stores near you and seeing when they play either Sealed or Draft. Sticking to one set of cards and getting to play the cards you pay for on a somewhat even playing ground has been the best bang for my buck so far. With HOU, the new set, coming out next month you could get the rules down in the next month or so and attend the pre-release. That was the first physical event of Magic I had and it was a blast. Really relaxed environment and people were super helpful while I was picking up some of the weirder interactions for me.

For sealed/draft you can read online strategy wise but just walking in with a basic knowledge of the game is just fine. That's pretty much how my wife is learning besides the games we play at the house.

Yeef

Err, yeah, had my first real go against Marvel and there's really no good way to answer it since it's not a true combo deck. It can just grind you out with Tireless Trackers, Gearhulks and late game Emrakuls.
Should have called a judge :p

So,

I own a board game company and have never actually played MTG or really any CCG/LCG format before. Mostly because I didn't want to go down that rabbit hole and my friends group has never really been into it.

I've decided since I own a board game company that this is stupid, so I started playing Magic Duels to figure out the gist of the game, and it isn't particularly difficult (though, I imagine my issue is I don't recognize different deck strategies so I keep walking into obvious traps that someone who has played more would recognize).

Like, if I bought a planeswalker deck and the deck builders toolkit and looked up a kind of ok beginner deck and walked into Friday Night Magic and just got destroyed and messed up a ton, what would the reaction be? Like, I'm sure I am going to suck for months, and I have no real idea how cleanup and tracking works when the game isn't doing it for me.

Will I piss people off or are they used to newbs showing up and being an easy win?
As others have said, the atmosphere is going to vary from store to store. In my experience, most players will be forgiving if you're new and you make a mistake here or there, but occasionally, you'll run into the person that won't give any leniency at all.

Having played duels, you should have a good grasp on most of what you need to play the game, but one thing that's different is how priority (when you can play spells and activate abilities) works. In 'real' Magic, it's more like passing a baton back and forth, rather than the "game-of-chicken-with-the-timer" in Magic duels.

As others have said, sealed deck (specifically prereleases) and other limited formats, like booster draft, are the best way to get started on a level playing field. Assuming you've played 7 Wonders, Between Two Cities, Seasons or any other number of games with drafting, you should have a good handle on the mechanics of draft. The main skills that will simply come from experience are card evaluation and reading signals (knowing which colors you should be in based on what's getting passed to you).

Violet_0

Banned

free wins? Everyone is going to love you
honestly though most players will be helpful while still exploiting every single of your mistakes without mercy. Start with drafts, you won't stand a chance with the planeswalker decks. Draft is also more fun than whatever the hell standard is now

if you decide to participate in one, look up draftsim and just practice a bit. The draftbot will show you which cards you should prioritize. And check the card prices - sometimes you'll just want to pick valuable cards that you can't even play in your deck

Tunoku

Yup, 7-1-1 is correct.

Playing Marvel:

Temur Marvel 2-0
Sultai Marvel 2-0
BG Delirium 2-0
Temur Marvel (Tiu) 0-2
Temur Marvel 1-1-1
Temur Marvel 2-0
Temur Energy 2-1
Temur Marvel 2-0
Temur Marvel 2-0

I managed to dodge my dreaded UR matchup and Heart of Kiran decks as well. I don't really care how I do tomorrow, as making day 2 at my first GP is way more than I ever expected. Gonna try to get some sleep tonight.

Ashodin

Standard Showdown

stop

what are you doing (for reference)

(1-1-1 w/ marvel)

DBbFQXoW0AAeuWw.jpg

Santiako

Yup, 7-1-1 is correct.

Playing Marvel:

Temur Marvel 2-0
Sultai Marvel 2-0
BG Delirium 2-0
Temur Marvel (Tiu) 0-2
Temur Marvel 1-1-1
Temur Marvel 2-0
Temur Energy 2-1
Temur Marvel 2-0
Temur Marvel 2-0

I managed to dodge my dreaded UR matchup and Heart of Kiran decks as well. I don't really care how I do tomorrow, as making day 2 at my first GP is way more than I ever expected. Gonna try to get some sleep tonight.

Fantastic finish. Good luck tomorrow.

Firemind

Good luck tomorrow, Tunoku.

Omaha is always low, but Amsterdam seems yikes.
Half the venue was empty. We always get a major influx of Germans, but there wasn't even enough people to split the tournament. When I apologized to my opponent because I had to read the cards and I hadn't attended a tournament for years, he apologized for the current state of Standard. :lol

traveler

Not Wario
Opponent told me he couldn't believe his deck was beat by a pile of nonsense. I'm slightly offended. :(

Actually wish I could try this thing at a competitive paper tourney but no standard opens out here for a while.

Unrelated, but when do usually get the pt gp schedule for the next year?

tried a mm3 draft. there was way too much multicolor stuff and 3-color stuff going on, which made it a bit too random for my tastes

also in real life casual events, the drafts rarely get exactly 8 players so that made it even weirder

Opponent told me he couldn't believe his deck was beat by a pile of nonsense. I'm slightly offended. :(

i take this stuff as a compliment.

one of my favorite parts of card games is playing something unexpected and watching all the netdeckers get salty when they lose to it

Wulfric

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
bqw6QOD.png

Awfully smug for someone who probably should be concerned about getting fired.

Marvel is 66% this weekend or higher I think.

Except it really wasn't. The only option that really made sense was make more dudes. You never would cast Sigorney Weaver Aliens-2 and choose to make her buff, you'd just give her 2 more space Marines to swing with.

This is completely wrong to the point I'm questioning if you played much limited Kaladesh

Yeef

If you never put counters on with fabricate, you were probably doing it wrong. Especially with the green fabricate dudes.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If you never put counters on with fabricate, you were probably doing it wrong. Especially with the green fabricate dudes.
Maulfist Squad frequently called for counters, as did the flying dudes.

Aaron is probably second after Rosewater in job safety over there and it would take an absolutely immense fuckup for problems with a Standard environment to get anyone in a position of power over there fired. Their masters (and they are correct to feel this way) just don't think it's that important in comparison to overall sales and brand health, and they've diversified their market enough that it can take a pretty decent beating in a competitive format before those two are seriously impacted.

Especially right at the moment, the fact that they've just launched this new team to deal with competitive balance means nobody's gonna pull a trigger on anything either until they have some time with that under their belt or it gets even more fucked up than it is now.

bqw6QOD.png

This is completely wrong to the point I'm questioning if you played much limited Kaladesh
TBF, Most of my Kaladesh limited was first few weeks. The green guys definitely made it better to put counters on.

Also, in my defense, I didn't mean "Draft Trash" as in unplayable in Limited. I meant Draft Trash as in "Outlast", where it's basically Draft only (which is why the idea of a Mythic Fabricate card is even stranger)

Ashodin

faPHS6w.gif

this lookin' like a pretty spicy brew. Lots of great interactions.

I'm going to take this to next week's FNM or Standard Showdown. Already got the cards in the mail.

I got decent use out of Fabricate, but to be honest the only times I ever felt like the decision between the two modes was an interesting play space was with Angel of Invention, mostly because of the way the card had trade-offs in both directions (more dudes is more P/T due to the anthem, but Lifelink means power on the card itself gives extra value, and the anthem means toughness on the card is protecting an investment if you have board beyond the servos).

The rest of them, the choice was never really interesting enough that I stopped to think about it at any given point. I either obviously wanted the height (I need size to punch through blockers or ward off attacks), or I obviously wanted the width (I need chumps or suspect I'm looking at spot removal).

There was added versatility, obviously, but not enough to be super enticing outside of Limited.

ironmang

I appreciate coverage trying to put a variety of decks on camera but them trying to downplay the problem is a little silly. Almost everybody is in agreement that standard is shit right now including one of the commentators at GP Omaha, platinum pro, and probably the biggest fan favorite in the game, Reid Duke, who said:

My favorite thing about Marvel is how excited it makes me to play formats other than Standard. Heading to #SCGBalt for some Modern.

traveler

Not Wario
Anyone have access to SCG Premium? I need to see Sam Black's article on his standard deck from earlier this week.

I do but in between flight and transport with a nearly dead phone atm. Pm me tomorrow night if you don't see it posred sooner.

Nvm got it in time.

Maindeck:

Creatures
4 Anointer Priest
4 Blisterpod
4 Catacomb Sifter
1 Loam Dryad
4 Thraben Inspector

Enchantments
4 Anointed Procession
3 Cryptolith Rite
4 Hidden Stockpile
3 Ulvenwald Mysteries

Instants
1 Anguished Unmaking

Legendary Creatures
1 Yahenni, Undying Partisan

Planeswalkers
2 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

Basic Lands
2 Forest
2 Plains
1 Swamp

Lands
4 Blooming Marsh
4 Concealed Courtyard
4 Evolving Wilds
3 Fortified Village
1 Hissing Quagmire
2 Scattered Groves
2 Westvale Abbey

Sideboard:
2 Tireless Tracker
2 Anguished Unmaking
4 Fatal Push
2 Declaration in Stone
2 Dusk
3 Lost Legacy

Zocano

I'll just say I blame all of you for this:

edit: sideboard isn't sleeved but I pretty much have all I need for that, too.

edit edit: woops, miscounted my lands, time to find my etched champions

ironmang

Don't forget the drums. They're super essential to the broken mox opal starts when you have the 0 drop creature but not the darksteel. I'd consider just keeping 1 basic (island for your configuration) and putting in a couple spire of industry.

Good deck choice though. It's one of the few decks that doesn't have unwinnable matchups thanks to explosive starts, etched champion, and a very flexible sideboard.

Zocano

I mostly built it because I love the synergistic (and smart) playing you have to do to really maximize the deck's effectiveness.

I want to rebuild the old BG zombies (that was during RTR block standard) for modern as well because it's very similar.

edit: I wasn't a super fan of the drums but I will put in a few

Zocano

I'll cut 2 thoughcasts, go down to... 16 lands total? and that'll give me room for 4 drums and 2 etched champions

I want to mess with the standard shell a bit but I feel like the deck is basically "solved" and there's no real wiggle room for flavor or personal enjoyment

there's only a few flex spots because you need such a high density of junk but the lists basically rotate between galv blast and thought cast depending on the meta. You rarely see both run or even a split.
The list that made top 8 in Kobe had a collected company in the main,there's still space to be explored with Affinity. I don't think there's any cards from Kaladesh block being run for instance.

The sideboard for affinity is the wild west otoh because you're effectively colourless and 5c at once. Thoughtseizes, RiPs, Blood Moon, Spell Pierce,... if I had the complete deck I'd run some selfless spirits

Speaking of Kaladesh. Surprised they didn't make a 0 cost vehicle.
Trolley 0

Artifact - Vehicle

Crew 2

2/2

I can get that, I mean it's easy to miss that Heart of Kieran gives your other creatures pseudo-haste rather than having haste itself. Because, you know, it's dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom