• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Cthulhu - E3 2017 Trailler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_1WO-Rs7KA

Looks excellent in regards to tone, but the lack of clear gameplay footage and no release date still does make me question if this will make its 2017 release window.

EDIT: There's an article on IGN which discusses some of the gameplay elements shown behind closed doors. I wasn't sure if it was deserving of a new thread or not, but if someone feels so feel free to make it. Some select quotes:
"It's clear that this is a game Cyanide is making because the developers have a deep love for the Chaosium RPG. Pierce's stats screen is described as his "skill sheet," and many of the dialogue tree options are reminiscent of choices a dungeon master would ask you to make."

"In the early chapter, your success at choosing various dialogue tree depends on how well you've developed skills like Intimidation and Persuasion. Throughout the 20-or-so hour gameplay experience, Pierce's "Sanity Gauge" will become integral as he slips further and further into madness by witnessing bizarre, terrifying occurrences he can't quite explain."

"By forcing Pierce to experience his phobias, he will start acting out of his own accord -- for example, charging out of the closet before suffering a heart attack -- and the player will lose their free will with the character."

Though, wasn't there a Call of Cthulhu game announced by Frogwares? The guys responsible for the Sherlock Holmes games? I assume this is different?

Edit: Looks like it's called The Sinking City. If anything, that one should be very good.

tenor.gif

Here's a new link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mkOx1fH2G0

Harlequin

I like that they've actually got you chasing someone else in that one scene. That seems to be rather uncommon in these types of horror games (at least in recent ones). The atmosphere is looking pretty great, too.

The Hermit

It reminds me Alone in the Dark

aloneinthedark_pc.jpg

Which reminds me: I loved horror game when I was a kid, now I had to watch a playthrough on Soma because I was too sissy. What gives?

Okay guys, so it looks like Frogwares game is now called The Sinking City but it's still a Cthulhu based Lovecraft IP. Supposedly now open world and investigation-based. Should be interesting.

This looks good too though, so the more the merrier!

I could not be more into this. After Bloodborne I tore through anything Cosmic Horror that I could get my hands on. All of HPL, Machen, Howard, etc.

This and Death Stranding (which is so clearly an eldrich horror narrative, i.e time distortion, madness, slimy fleshy grossness) are going to be Day 1.

Man I hope this is good. There's not nearly enough Cthulhu trope games; port town, cosmic horror, cults, psychological thriller, etc. Great mood in that trailer.

It's an MMO, but The Secret World had a Lovecraft vibe. It's been years since I last played though, not sure how it's gone since then.

The entire core of the story revolves around Lovecraftian themes so certainly worth checking out if you are into that stuff.

dlauv

This was a very well done trailer, even if it didn't show a lot of gameplay interaction.

It's got me interested!

Literally just finished reading Call of Cthulu like 15 minutes ago. Mood and ideas look great so far, not entirely sure what the direction is though. Seems like it's only inspired by the story rather than being a retelling, judging by the fact that they merged multiple characters stories into the protagonists, which I guess as a videogame is the best way to go. Certainly very interested though and visually it looks great.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I would recommend the Vanishing of Ethan Carter, it definitely has some Lovecraftian vibes in places.

Also an oldie but goldie, John Saul's Blackstone Chronicles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkl0ZGPSAfE

It has a lovecraftian atmosphere, but it's not like say, a direct lovecraft game or anything.

There's also Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened, which is (obviously) a Holmes/Lovecraft crossover but still technically a Cthulhu-themed game.

Top Bottom