• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take-Two: "Rockstar's activities have been transformed by Grand Theft Auto Online"

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
In case you needed any more confirmation that Red Dead Online will be like GTA Online.

"2K had a really good season this past year, but it was, for the company, still relatively thin. And it didn't help that Battleborn wasn't a big success. So part of it is the level of success, part of it is the schedule, and part of it is finding the human resources to actually take the intellectual property that we own and bring them to market. Those are an array of challenges, juxtaposed against the uncertainty of how long it takes to make a AAA title, which means we can find ourselves in fiscal 2018 with a much thinner schedule than we'd like.

"But it wasn't intentional, and obviously fiscal 2019 will look much better with the launch of Red Dead 2 and a huge new title from 2K, as well as the 2K Sports titles, catalogue, recurrent consumer spending, NBA2K Online in China, Social Point and the like. We've already said that fiscal 2019, which isn't that far away, is $2.5bn net sales minimum, £700m cash flow from our operations minimum... that's pretty consequential.

"We are moving in the direction of that goal, David has outlined his five-year plan that will get us part way there. Obviously we know what Rockstar tends to do. And Rockstar's activities have been transformed by Grand Theft Auto Online."
Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...l-have-at-least-one-triple-a-title-every-year

Composer

And so starts the decline of Rockstar.

Can't wait to play Red Dead Online (featuring a single-player always-online campaign).

Surprising nobody TBH.

I expect RDR2 to have a significant online portion but nothing huge due to starting beforehand and for GTAVI to be SP/MP hybrid of some kind.

I'm sure they will spend a lot of time making sure the single player lives up to the standard of the first one.

hahahahha. No.

13ruce

Banned
Hopefully the singleplayer won't be botched by this multiplayer focus. Meh this confirms the huge grind and shark cards will be in rdr2 online too....

It's unfortunate that this is what gets the big bucks. Not a fan of GTA, or any of Rockstar's games to be honest, but I was fine with their success until the online microtransactions became their money-maker.

TheChaos

tumblr_o4tvieWRr31vnkarlo1_500.gif

If I need to have PS plus to play RDR2 I'm going to be pissed.

RockmanBN

This gen has been great with Rockstar. Here's a list of their new original games since the launch of the PS4/XBONE.

- *Fill in the blank*

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Not surprising, but I'm gutted.

I really hope it doesn't impact the single player on RDR2. Or, at the very least I hope online is much improved over GTA Online.

Mikey Jr.

I want to enjoy GTA Online, but the thing feels like absolute shit. I've been stuck on loading screens that have taken minutes.
The whole system feels inscrutable. I have a hard time understanding where to go to do something or just how anything works. It sucks.

Ploid 3.0

Worst case scenario situation here. Gran Theft Online was horrible and boring at launch, and it still feels boring years after. I get that people are making their own fun, but I did not want to see this thing come back for the next GTA, and it looks like the infection is going to spread to other games. At least people like it I guess, I just don't see it, especially if T2 fight mods tooth and nail.

Rockstar:
giphy.gif

At the end of the day, its a business

GTA Online is amazing lets not deny that

Why would they spend $300 million over 5 years for a game when they can make that in 1 year via GTA Online

Or perhaps the extra cash will make them more innovative with future games....

Ploid 3.0

RDR 2 is going to be micro transaction hell where a horse costs you 20 dollars real money.

Tier 1 - 10 horse breeds (speed, and health appearance).
Horse color and patterns dlc.
Barding dlc.
Wagon attachment to carry things? Or carry out heists dlc.
Wagon designs dlc.

That should supply a good amount of money and dlc for years to come.

My hope for Red Dead Redemption 2's singleplayer campaign is that it's as good as Red Dead Redemption's, San Andreas and Grand Theft Auto V's story mode combined and more, that would be like the ultimate Rockstar single player experience!

I hope the multiplayer is really good too, I can imagine being able to own stuff like ranches and houses.

Bizzquik

This "online-services" movement is killing my love of Bungie. I fear it will eat away at what made Rockstar and Bioware great, too. We know Ubisoft is chasing this market, as well.

...I miss single-player focused gaming.
...And I feel old and endangered, accordingly.

Anung

Un Rama
It was a done deal when they made half a billion dollars off those money cards alone. I don't like or support it but I don't blame them.

Thank you GTA Online players (Or at least the micro transaction users) for literally killing Rockstar single player add-on's and (maybe) ruining future Rockstar titles.

To be fair, it'd be insane for Take-Two to say anything else. They've got the biggest cash cow in gaming right now. Of course they're telling investors that Rockstar's next game will be even better at it.

I wouldn't assume this is a death knell for RDR2's single player. GTA Online basically built itself off the content and assets made for that single player game, so it's hard to assume RDR 2 will go in the other direction. Plus, most of the core narrative design & structural work would've been done before GTA:O was such a cash cow.

This is the beginning of the end.

Red Dead Redemption's multiplayer was so innovative and immersive. It was fantastic and unlike anything. If RDR2's multiplayer is just a clone of GTAO it'll be horrible.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Which is why I won't get a GTA VI this generation. Thanks. I loved the SP part of V, I want more of that. I tried the online a few times, but it was such utter shit at launch that I quickly moved on to better things.

Top Bottom