• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Represent
mtgcom_arcana_554_pic1_en.jpg
Eye-conic

I know that. But what does that have to do with Dominaria?

Serra's Realm had tons of angels but it was also heavily populated by human members of the Order of Serra. When Urza blew up the plane they moved to Dominaria and set up shop in Benalia. We've confirmed that there's a New Order of Serra:

The picture is floating structures like Serra's Realm, but with stained glass and other architectural designs that fit with what we saw of New Benalia. So: probably a floating city built by the New Order of Serra in New Benalia.

When it comes to red in old magic I think of Goblins and Shivan Dragon and Lightning Bolts but no particular place. The Mana Rig I believe made power stones and is located notably closer to other likely places to be visited. Alternatively, having red become Otaria with The Pits would be neat. Gladiator combat seems like something that magic wants more of.

I think "Shivan Dragon" really speaks to why they'd be likely to go that way, heh. Keld is less iconic and less obvious how to extend out to the full range of what the color needs to cover.

I'm not saying Otaria will be completely ignored in the set since I'm sure it'll be referenced, but it's not gonna be a big thing. People's nostalgia goggles for Dominaria are things from the early era or the Weatherlight Saga. Otaria's technically there but its flavor is totally incompatible and it has almost no real overlap with anything else, so they're not going to make it a core part of the return.

I feel like this Serra image tells us a lot about expecting an Advanced High Fantasy type vibe for Dominaria on this return, btw.

Ashodin

Represent

Eye-conic

goddamn look at that

now that is a protagonist

That fur cloak backpiece wew

I love the fusion of old armor + tech armor. Works great here

@Charlequin: likely the New Order of Serra floats over Benalia to "watch over" it. Maybe there's even a caste that gets to "promote themselves" up to the heights. Aspirational goals for real.

why did you quote me with someone else's quote?

goddamn look at that

now that is a protagonist

That fur cloak backpiece wew

I love the fusion of old armor + tech armor. Works great here
I love how much it is in style of a comic. The humongous hands, his big stature, the low texturized background.
The same Urborg that in Time Spiral made everything into a Swamp?

I don't know if it's RB anymore. We'll have to wait and see.
well windgrace fixed it throughout the block and windgrace was at least R

Santiako

I'm still hoping that the fall set for 2018 is Otaria, and the first of 2019 is Phyrexia. Going full hard-on nostalgia for the year.

OnPoint

I liked Kamahl fine as a character. But that is not my favorite period of art in the game, by far.

well windgrace fixed it throughout the block and windgrace was at least R
Does fixing it mean the color identity changes to or adopts that of the being that fixed it? Serious question, I don't know enough about how that works.

Does fixing it mean the color identity changes to or adopts that of the being that fixed it? Serious question, I don't know enough about how that works.
no but if we consider urborg tainted then fixing it would bring it back to its more primordial roots, which is black tinted RB or Jund considering theres a couple green urborg cards.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
urborg is RB literally and maybe all the way to jund
Literally speaking the land Urborg produces black mana.

I'm still hoping that the fall set for 2018 is Otaria, and the first of 2019 is Phyrexia. Going full hard-on nostalgia for the year.

There's nothing actually in Phyrexia. It's the straight-up analogue of MTG Hell down to having circles of torture and shit.

OnPoint

I though the CIPT dual land was also just called urborg but it's actually

now in Time Spiral the volcano was dormant IIRC so that begs the question if just BG remains.
Where do you keep getting G from?

Also a volcano does not necessarily make the whole realm of Urborg BR

Also creatures that are from there can have different colors even if the land is one color.

Poppy

i'm glad i am in the mtgo beta so i can play sealed for free and remind myself to never play sealed if it costs money because it is a junk format

Santiako

Urborg is as mono black as it gets. There's one green card related to Urborg and it's a mana fixer elf from apocalypse, and a ub card, the rest are black.

Where do you keep getting G from?

Also a volcano does not necessarily make the whole realm of Urborg BR

Also creatures that are from there can have different colors even if the land is one color.
mostly the time spiral block books, they described Urborg as more than a big swamp. The impact of a pre mending planeswalker on his place of residence is debateable but Windgrace declared Urborg his own and did sorta imprint himself on the place.

Yeah looked it up and there's a forest on Urborg potentially a part of Yavimaya even.

OnPoint

mostly the time spiral block books, they described Urborg as more than a big swamp. The impact of a pre mending planeswalker on his place of residence is debateable but Windgrace declared Urborg his own and did sorta imprint himself on the plane.
I don't know how cannon the books are at this point, i'd like to see it on the cards if you have examples. Notably, Urborg isn't a plane, it's a region. And the land itself from that set literally turns everything into a swamp. Feels super mono black identity wise.

That said, I am honestly curious to see what they do with it in the return.

that shoulda been place. I can only argue with story points and as far as I'm aware everyting from Time Spiral block is canon as is seen by for instance Venser retaining old walker teleportation.

I'm going with this

Code:
Lands
4 Aether Hub
4 Botanical Sanctum
2 Cinder Glade
5 Island
3 Lumbering Falls
3 Mountain
4 Spirebluff Canal

Spells
2 Abrade
1 Brutal Expulsion
4 Censor
1 Chandra, Flamecaller
2 Disallow
2 Essence Scatter
3 Glimmer of Genius
4 Harnessed Lightning
4 Hieroglyphic Illumination
4 Magma Spray
2 Supreme Will
2 Sweltering Suns

Creatures
4 Torrential Gearhulk

Sideboard
2 Chandra's Defeat
1 Commit // Memory
1 Confiscation Coup
2 Dispel
1 Dragonmaster Outcast
1 Glorybringer
1 Hour of Devastation
1 Kozilek's Return
2 Life Goes On
2 Negate
1 Tireless Tracker
I'm still considering Pulse of Murasa, World Breaker (amazing in some matchups and trigger KReturn) and Crumble to Dust and some tweaks to what cards to play in the main and in the board.

Zocano

I've got fuck all for a standard deck so I'm just gonna do sealed at fnm instead

The big LGS that I usually go to doesn't do draft so oh well.

Tunoku

I feel like the deck has a naturally strong RDW matchup. I'm mostly worried about control and ramp.

Another deck I could play is some kind of BR midrange list with Liliana, Chandra, and, most importantly, Goblin Dark-Dwellers. I love that card and it seems rad with Sweltering Suns in Doomfall.

Zocano

I have been very curious and wanting to do a more rotation-proof version of UW monument but I haven't really took the time to brew it up. I was wanting to put it together much earlier but the list I see going around is like 90% SOI block stuff and I'd rather not invest that much for something that's about to rotate.

Haines

Banned
Hearthstone is getting better every set lately. Gunna be tough going againts blizz in that space but with the right dev team its possible.

very excited to see of they have something good

Card Boy

Banned
Hearthstone is getting better every set lately. Gunna be tough going againts blizz in that space but with the right dev team its possible.

very excited to see of they have something good

RNG alone means i'm never touching Hearthstone again. The only RNG in TCGs should be your deck draw and booster packs, not card effects or targets.

RNG alone means i'm never touching Hearthstone again. The only RNG in TCGs should be your deck draw and booster packs, not card effects or targets.
You know Magic has those too and how it emphasizes the order of the deck way more.

Heck for the longest time a top tier deck in legacy relied heavily on RNG.

Zocano

I think Goblin Test Pilot is a stupid and fun card but I don't want those kinds of effects all the time. And with time passing, I think there will eventually just be a critical mass of them to make something kind of unfun.

As it stands, I think it's just a teeter totter of what is "too much". Like if Aetherworks Marvel also required a sac, like many mentioned when it was dominating, things may have been very different.

red13th

Hearthstone is less random now? That's great. I detested the randomness of the game when I played. Still won't play it because I hate that it doesn't have instants.

Repgnar

I think I'm going to bring a version of Saffron Olives Crested Sunmare deck. Been playing with it for the last week and having fun with it. Just gotta decide which store/time to go to.

red13th

It's still random af but the results are more predetermined.

Deck construction can be argued to be less random otoh.

There are cards that have different effects depending on how you built your deck too right? I saw a card that does something if you have a singleton deck. I thought it was really cool.

A bunch. They made highlander a mechanic for 3 of the 9 classes in a set last year. Each of them got their own high impact card and they shared another. Fun times, sadly the archetype died when Reno Jackson the original Highlander card rotated this spring.

They made some more in the upcoming set that do thing if they are the only 2/3/4 drop in your deck but they are collectively terrible for such a costly deckbuilding restriction.

Justin

Does Harthstone have any interaction? Does it have the equivalent of instants/combat tricks? I remember watching some streams when it first came out but don't remember it having either of those.

bigkrev

Hearthstone has been actively terrible since the release of the last set IMO, and I LIKED Hearthstone. Quests were a fucking mess, with the Rouge one being broken, the Warrior one being actually good/fun, and the rest mostly useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom