• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultron87

Think I'm gonna randomly play Modern for the first time in many months tonight.

Thankfully, it looks like Affinity hasn't changed much besides sideboard, some different ratios of the staples (IE Etched Champions vs Master of Etheriums vs etc) and switching Spires of Industry (which I had already) for Glimmervoids. Yay non-rotating formats! Last time I played was in Eldrazi Winter, so I can probably drop these Dispatches from the sideboard. Though they do kill Death's Shadows... but I'm guessing the game plan there is just burning them out with Galvanic Blasts.

OnPoint

Think I'm gonna randomly play Modern for the first time in many months tonight.

Thankfully, it looks like Affinity hasn't changed much besides sideboard, some different ratios of the staples (IE Etched Champions vs Master of Etheriums vs etc) and switching Spires of Industry (which I had already) for Glimmervoids. Yay non-rotating formats! Last time I played was in Eldrazi Winter, so I can probably drop these Dispatches from the sideboard. Though they do kill Death's Shadows... but I'm guessing the game plan there is just burning them out with Galvanic Blasts.

Condemn might be better than Dispatch in that matchup.

Hearthstone haters looking for another digital CCG should realy check out Plants vs Zombies: Heroes. I've posted about it a bunch over the past 6+ months, but I am still pretty cracked out on it and play it every day. It's much much better than Hearthstone

bigkrev

So guys, POPGaf got shut down

Guess MagicGAF is now in sole possession of second place in the "Gayest community thread on GAF"!

RNG alone means i'm never touching Hearthstone again. The only RNG in TCGs should be your deck draw and booster packs, not card effects or targets.

The RNG that exists in Hearthstone is actually there because taking out the mana system from MTG made the game too predictable for people to enjoy, lol.

Hearthstone is less random now? That's great.

Measuring the "amount" of randomness in a game is pretty challenging given that it can occur in a lot of different places and look a lot of different ways. What I'd say is that they've shifted the design of RNG to make for a far more satisfying game.

Like, in the GvG era, it was extremely common to do effects that had obvious and blatant RNG -- "deal 2-4 damage" or "destroy 1-2 random enemy minions" or whatever. These feel bad, they make the randomness really obvious, and they're hard to play effectively so they're horrible for the game if they're too competitively playable -- like Dr. Boom was the exemplar of this, an overpowered neutral card with huge uncontrollable RNG.

Nowadays they tend to design the randomness to be much narrower in focus -- like tying it to the deck, which is a random thing everyone already accepts, or what's in your opponent's hand, or spells you've already played or something. And the biggest element they introduced to increase variance is Discover, which is a totally brilliant mechanic -- it gives you three random choices from some subset of cards and lets you pick one, so it creates a ton of variance (since you'll get different options every time) but is extremely skill-testing and puts you in control of the last step. The prevalence of Discover cards (and similar effects) has easily been one of the single biggest elements improving HS design over the last year.

Hearthstone has been actively terrible since the release of the last set IMO, and I LIKED Hearthstone.

This is just a bit of a weird stance following off the set that is universally recognized as having produced the most diverse and open Standard metagame in HS' history. Like, at very least, it's not gonna be representative of the average community position at the moment. (Compare vs. Gadgetzan, when you basically couldn't find someone to say nice things about the meta to save your life.)

Guess MagicGAF is now in sole possession of second place in the "Gayest community thread on GAF"!

is there, like, a gayger counter or something you can use to measure that

Hero

Discover is the best mechanic Hearthstone has created (even though half of it is sort of like sleight of hand).

I almost wish it were possible for paper Magic to have a mechanic like it.

Hearthstone has been actively terrible since the release of the last set IMO, and I LIKED Hearthstone. Quests were a fucking mess, with the Rouge one being broken, the Warrior one being actually good/fun, and the rest mostly useless.

How I feel as well. Un'Goro pushed me to go further into MTG at the expense of Hearthstone. I liked HS a lot, played since beta, I just got tired of it.

I'm hoping MTG Arena will be the digital version I've always wanted. I liked all the Duels games but I want more, and not MTGO.

Santiako

I played HS for about a year. I stopped playing when about 70% of the ladder was Secret Paladin. It just became completely unfun.

red13th

Wait they closed PopGAF? Then yes I think outside of obviously LettersGAF we're the gayest community thread.

Also I didn't know there was even a Plants vs Zombies digital card game. Cool!

Daedardus

Nah, just a weirdly high proportion we've picked up on over the years that doesn't have any obvious root cause.

Didn't know we had so many gay players on here. Then again NeoGAF is just LGBT heaven when it comes to the internet. I do wonder how the larger population of Magic is constructed, since it seems that there are still a lot of shitheads at larger events, sadly enough.

Justin

Didn't know we had so many gay players on here. Then again NeoGAF is just LGBT heaven when it comes to the internet. I do wonder how the larger population of Magic is constructed, since it seems that there are still a lot of shitheads at larger events, sadly enough.

As a new player I was actually surprised how nice and open most of the community seems to be. The magic reddit seems to be pretty shithead free and aside from some weird questions MaRo seems to answer on his blog ("Why do you guys keep making men the villains and women the heroes?") and a few questionable youtubers everyone seems really cool. Maybe it's because the game is so old and grew up outside of the toxic internet culture of the last few years. Might also be because the game is still mainly played in person face to face and the kind of people who act like shits online dont do it when sat directly across from the person.

bigkrev

I finally bought myself a force of will but stopped short of getting a mox diamond.

Why is stronghold mox diamond cheaper than FTV Relics? It looks way better.

FTV cards have tournament legality issues due to the insane warping they do. If you aren't double/triple sleaving your deck, it's got a good chance of standing out.

alternade

As a new player I was actually surprised how nice and open most of the community seems to be. The magic reddit seems to be pretty shithead free and aside from some weird questions MaRo seems to answer on his blog ("Why do you guys keep making men the villains and women the heroes?") and a few questionable youtubers everyone seems really cool. Maybe it's because the game is so old and grew up outside of the toxic internet culture of the last few years. Might also be because the game is still mainly played in person face to face and the kind of people who act like shits online dont do it when sat directly across from the person.
LGBT MAGIC GAF REPRESENT!

I just pulled together 4 gay guys who play magic. We're thinking of recording our games. We typically talk about boys and douching over cocktails and EDH.

Maledict

Wait they closed PopGAF? Then yes I think outside of obviously LettersGAF we're the gayest community thread.

Also I didn't know there was even a Plants vs Zombies digital card game. Cool!

Politics gaf used to be very gay, but a lot of people left the thread (and the board) after the extremely visceral backlash when Hilary lost... :-(

Weird. I had never seen that card before and it was just printed. I actually kinda like it, though lol

It's a NWO version of this card
33.jpg

bigkrev

another reason FTV Mox Diamond shoud be cheaper.

Yeah, I have no idea then.
Best theory I can come up with are that there are more copies of the Stronghold one in circulation than FTV. Mox was a $20 card when it was printed, and because it has the name "Mox" in it, it's a card that never dropped in value, and always had an alure of coolness to it. It's also one of only 3 cards (Negator and Masticore, let me know if there are more) that were on the Reserved list, but actually saw reprints due to the loophole for foil copies not distributed in boosters that was closed in 2012. My guess is there are more copies of Mox Diamond in active circulation (owned by active players or in stores) than any other Stronghold rare

Another redname who shall remain nameless for now wants me to get a consensus best husbando out of the planeswalker cast from you guys if you're gonna claim the #2 spot.

As a new player I was actually surprised how nice and open most of the community seems to be.

I had to read this like four times to make sure I read it correctly. I actually typically think of Magic as having one of the absolute worst hobby games communities. That opinion is formed over 23 years, though, I'd certainly be happy if it's changed a lot for new players.

(No matter what r/magictcg is a complete fucking shithole though.)

Why is stronghold mox diamond cheaper than FTV Relics?

It's the only version in foil and only version in the new frame but yeah, this seems like a weird thing to me.

EDIT: the FTV version does have that sweet Volkan Baga art.

bigkrev

Another redname who shall remain nameless for now wants me to get a consensus best husbando out of the planeswalker cast from you guys if you're gonna claim the #2 spot.

It's Jace, a bunch of WRONG people are going to say Ajani, they can all die in a fire

Santiako

Sorin is the classic bishonen male.

I had to read this like four times to make sure I read it correctly. I actually typically think of Magic as having one of the absolute worst hobby games communities. That opinion is formed over 23 years, though, I'd certainly be happy if it's changed a lot for new players.

Really? Every mtg community I've played with has been nothing but nice and welcoming (there's always some isolated assholes everywhere, of course), then again I'm white and straight so I might be blinded a bit.

Really? Every mtg community I've played with has been nothing but nice and welcoming (there's always some isolated assholes everywhere, of course), then again I'm white and straight so I might be blinded a bit.

Almost every internet community is awful (I post about it here because so many places are horrible) and I have a particularly negative attitude right now since I moved away from my regular EDH group to somewhere with a LGS I hate so my enthusiasm for even going to prereleases or whatever is lower.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
It's Urza. He can provide you with anything, and he's a great gardener (because he's totally Green.)

bigkrev

Alright, I'm limiting this to Planeswalkers with cards

Daddy (I lumped a lot of things in here): Dak Faden,Gideon, Koth, Ob (Human), Ral, Sarkhan, Tezzeret, Teferi
Thicccccc: Garruk
Bishie: Jace, Sorin
Fucboi: Tibalt, Venser
Furry: Ajani, Bolas
Kinks are scary: Karn, Doven Ban, Domri Rade, Daretti

Daedardus

Almost every internet community is awful (I post about it here because so many places are horrible) and I have a particularly negative attitude right now since I moved away from my regular EDH group to somewhere with a LGS I hate so my enthusiasm for even going to prereleases or whatever is lower.

I think the Magic community is just very divided in terms of play or the area your in. Either it's very welcoming, everyone loves getting together playing in the kitchen or at the LGS and nobody cares who you are and what you look like. But I've also noticed that Magic has attracted a lot of douchebags without any social norms. And by that I don't mean the quirky asd type that wants to do well but just has difficulty communicating. I mean the type that absolutely has no respect for women, takes advantage of new players and is a bully calling the judge 100 times during competitive play.

Justin

Weird I dont see it online or in the stores here but I guess that it really depends on where you are... I am in the Seattle area.

red13th

oooh Koth is sexy too, he'd definitely be my extramarital affair, Garruk is husbando-er though. those arms <3

Karn is agendered now though isn't he (they)?

I think the Magic community is just very divided in terms of play or the area your in. Either it's very welcoming, everyone loves getting together playing in the kitchen or at the LGS and nobody cares who you are and what you look like. But I've also noticed that Magic has attracted a lot of douchebags without any social norms. And by that I don't mean the quirky asd type that wants to do well but just has difficulty communicating. I mean the type that absolutely has no respect for women, takes advantage of new players and is a bully calling the judge 100 times during competitive play.

Yeah, this type of player is definitely a reasonably common thing and I think the sole primary distinguisher between those two categories you mention is whether a given community works to drive them out or not.

Karn is agendered now though isn't he (they)?

From what has been said so far, Karn doesn't have an experience of a gender identity internally, but also got tagged by other characters in-game as "he" and didn't have a problem going along with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom